• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
tenor.gif

Thorakai

Oct 27, 2017
the best part is that the actual reveal will just be some CGI trailer or something with no gameplay

Nov 2, 2018
I might as well dump this here.

I loved the Arkham games. Have been following them since they were announced, played the original demo to death, have a very vivid memory of the first time I played Asylum.

I am really sad that all sources are implying this will be a reboot and that basically the Arkham-Verse is over. I know it isn't a popular opinion but the ending of Knight works really well at setting up something new and exciting, like a take on Battle for the Cowl or Batman Beyond. As a definitive end to the series - muddled and a wet fart.

I'll wait and see whats shown but nothing has interested me so far. I don't find The Court that interesting, I don't see free flow working well with co op, god they're going to bring joker back

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
$10 all we get is one short clip of Batman (think Miles Morales trailer where they show the model) and then the logo.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
Whose idea was it to tease this thing for so long and then reveal it alongside Rocksteady's game? Seriously? What?

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017
They're still teasing this? Jesus Christ.

The first the thing they'll show is going to be the batmobile exploding.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
I am really sad that all sources are implying this will be a reboot and that basically the Arkham-Verse is over. I know it isn't a popular opinion but the ending of Knight works really well at setting up something new and exciting, like a take on Battle for the Cowl or Batman Beyond. As a definitive end to the series - muddled and a wet fart.
I do not think I am mistaken when I say that it has been said multiple times that Batman Arkham Knight was the conclusion to the Arkham series. That implies that all Batman games post Arkham Knight (or Arkham VR if you will) would take place in a new setting. I personally think starting off on some new, fresh basis could be quite interesting. Arkham games were, or rather are, excellent, my opinion is similar to yours about this, but I say why not wait and see if this new formula could be as good and as successful as its predecessor?

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The AR game seems pretty unnecesary at this point, would've worked better if they hadn't been teasing this since fucking forever...Just release the damn trailer...

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is gonna fuck around and reveal a day or two early.

i hope it leaks tbh, After a year plus of baiting people, I wouldnt feel bad. But were so close, i dont think its gonna happen. Im so tired of game reveals being treated like these giant events. Same with iphone announcements, like its a product im going to buy, just announce ffs

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
i hope it leaks tbh, After a year plus of baiting people, I wouldnt feel bad. But were so close, i dont think its gonna happen. Im so tired of game reveals being treated like these giant events. Same with iphone announcements, like its a product im going to buy, just announce ffs

I mean, I would've loved for this to have leaked way ahead of time. There's so much needless jerking people around. But then I can understand why they want to get things exactly perfect too. Fans are dorks who tear everything apart.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I would've loved for this to have leaked way ahead of time. There's so much needless jerking people around. But then I can understand why they want to get things exactly perfect too. Fans are dorks who tear everything apart.

for as much flak as nintendo gets, i love that they can just announce a game on twitter, with gameplay. No count downs to a teaser, then the teaser ends with a "see the full trailer in 2 months!", Then that full trailer ends with "see the gameplay reveal in another 2 months!". Honestly the whole process is just a fucking slog

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
It's funny they had trouble Teasing and then announcing this game for years. But the one year where it is understandable to be having issues, they are going to finally announce it.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Okay. Now we wait for the next cryptic Twitter post in August 2021. :)

MrAlderson

Apr 19, 2018
Was there any thing indicating if this will use the nemesis system? Seems like a missed opportunity to not use that system for the court of owls

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Was there any thing indicating if this will use the nemesis system? Seems like a missed opportunity to not use that system for the court of owls
There's been rumours, but it seems like an obvious feature here so I wouldn't trust those even if the game actually has those.

Yeah, the Talons really fit the Nemesis system and, well, since you don't kill, gangsters and minor rogues as well. It could be real fun, considering how much personality these characters would have by default.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Can you imagine what's going to happen if this reveal trailer doesn't have any gameplay...

Jul 26, 2018
There's been rumours, but it seems like an obvious feature here so I wouldn't trust those even if the game actually has those.

Yeah, the Talons really fit the Nemesis system and, well, since you don't kill, gangsters and minor rogues as well. It could be real fun, considering how much personality these characters would have by default.
I have to say this in every topic it pops up... The Nemesis system DOES NOT WORK if your character is not somehow immortal.

Oct 25, 2017
Man I feel like this teaser trailer this teasing will ultimately just be a get it over with already, like the inevitable Godzilla vs Kong trailer.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
I have to say this in every topic it pops up... The Nemesis system DOES NOT WORK if your character is not somehow immortal.
It could work just fine with some imagination.

Here's a scenario: Batman's health drops to zero and he crumples to the ground. The enemies start to close in on him. Last second he limps up and desperately shoots his grapple hook into the air and zips away. A loading screen transition happens and then you are back in the Batcave with a beaten Bruce staring sullenly at his Batcomputer that is showing the status upgrade of the henchmen that defeated you.

Alternatively you could have one of the Batfamily interfere and zip you out of there or drive you out in the Batmobile.

Jul 26, 2018
It could work just fine with some imagination.

Here's a scenario: Batman's health drops to zero and he crumples to the ground. The enemies start to close in on him. Last second he limps up and desperately shoots his grapple hook into the air and zips away. A loading screen transition happens and then you are back in the Batcave with a beaten Bruce staring sullenly at his Batcomputer that is showing the status upgrade of the henchmen that defeated you.

Alternatively you could have one of the Batfamily interfere and zip you out of there or drive you out in the Batmobile.
Every single time he's just gonna zip out or some sidekick is gonna swoop in and rescue him. Extremely dumb.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Shadow games still had systems in place to support the nemesis system without dying with the time passage mechanics. It's entirely possible to play those games (and there are even some modes, like in one of the DLCs) without death and still engaging in the Nemesis system.

Or take it the XCOM 2 route with the chosen. I don't think anyone is arguing for a 1:1 translation of the Nemesis system exactly.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Every single time he's just gonna zip out or some sidekick is gonna swoop in and rescue him. Extremely dumb.

Batman gets captured or otherwise incapacitated all the dang time. You could also fade out, fade back in to him tied up somewhere, then need to do a short escape-the-restraints sequence and bust out of the hideout.

There's already plenty of precedent for the thugs just incapacitating him - all the "death" sequences are pretty much "you" just miraculously being in front of the boss of the area so they can do the Final Bonk.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
As long as I can collect all 666 Riddler Trophies without needing a co-op partner, I will find this "gaas" to be acceptable.

Jul 26, 2018
I don't see how that's any dumber than a dude dying and magically reviving every time but whatever.
Seriously? Talion is a Wraith. He is pretty much a possessed corpse.

Batman gets captured or otherwise incapacitated all the dang time. You could also fade out, fade back in to him tied up somewhere, then need to do a short escape-the-restraints sequence and bust out of the hideout.

There's already plenty of precedent for the thugs just incapacitating him - all the "death" sequences are pretty much "you" just miraculously being in front of the boss of the area so they can do the Final Bonk.
My guy that's fine and every thing but if Batman is to die 50 times in this game you're meaning to tell me that he is gonna get captured and escape 50 times and it is supposed to make sense?

And anytime he died in the Arkham games and got teased before dying by a main villain is non-canon and the game assumes it never happened.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
My guy that's fine and every thing but if Batman is to die 50 times in this game you're meaning to tell me that he is gonna get captured and escape 50 times and it is supposed to make sense?

And anytime he died in the Arkham games and got teased before dying by a main villain is non-canon and the game assumes it never happened.

I don't think I've ever died fifty times in an Arkham game. :P

But beyond that, sure. It doesn't have to be the same excuse each time. Have another hero swoop in and save him. That'll have several variations based on the heroes in the game, or, heck, include non-playable heroes like Azrael or Creeper or whatever as fanservice. Have another villain faction show up to try and steal the unconscious Batman from the faction that knocked him out, and Batman sneaks away in the confusion. Have him get tied up and he escapes. Have someone go to take off his cowl, but it's electrified, allowing him to get away. Have Joker just release him because it's more fun that way. Heck, if you manage to get beaten up by street-level thugs, have them panic and run off because they just knocked out the Batman and have no idea what to do from there because it's never happened.

You're only limited by your imagination.