• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aftervirtue

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
At what point do we stop taking these people at their word. Debate gets us nowhere except more dead bodies. These people never act in good faith, they openly mock our laws and use them to deprive others of rights and of life.

The left needs to advocate for the reform of laws that allow such cruelty. Biden already acknowledges this happened, the left needs to pressure him to pass an executive oversee overriding stand your ground laws. This should be one of the first thing Biden does in 2020.

This won't stop otherwise. Well it won't stop the underlying racism, but it will at least allow those responsible to be held accountable.

Last edited:

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
How similar is Gerogia's stand-your-ground laws to Florida?

This seems like it could go just like the Trayvon Martin case, and these racist fucks will get off.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
This is essentially Trayvon Part 2 except we have video to better understand Ahmaud's self defense rights.

The question this will come down to is if Ahmaud had a reasonable right to initiate an attack in self defense given the situation.

The problem is the rights of the initiator seem to supersede the rights of the harassed. It's apparently lawfully reasonable to initiate conduct that would result in a fight or flight response, and then legally respond with fatal force.

I'm afraid they'll get away with it.

I disagree. Zimmerman was on neighborhood watch and was asking Martin questions, and he contacted police first. He was also on the ground getting beat up when he fired the shot (of course, the dispatcher said not to pursue him, but I'm giving the facts presented in the best light for him). In this case, it was two against one, neither was on the ground when they fired the shots, they actually chased him in a car instead of confronting him on foot jnitially, were not on neighborhood watch, and never got the police involved until afterwards. And the video is damming, the video was probably damming in the Martin case as well, but we don't have it.

Edit: I'll say this, I wouldn't be surprised if they got off. It looks like Georgia has a stand your ground law. I just don't think the facts are the same as the Martin case, so I guess we'll see.

Last edited:

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Well he threw a punch so it was self defense.*

*I don't believe that but a jury of their peers sure as fuck will
"I was scared he was going to take my gun and shoot me". I think that was Zimmerman's defense. It's kind of absurd that the danger of the gun you introduced into the conflict then gives you a pass to shoot an unarmed person.

tadale

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
I'm from this region and know this town very well. It makes my blood boil to know that these people continue to believe that they can get away with hate crimes, even more so that the communities continue to be constructed in a way that it would ever be feasible for something like this to happen with no repercussions for the murderers.

Oct 31, 2017
If there were no video, this story would have been swept under the rug.

Countless black Americans have been unjustly murdered for hundreds of years in this country.

I doubt we will ever see justice, restitution or reparations.

Travo

Oct 27, 2017
South Carolina
I am sickened. I'm also pissed that not even a decade ago I really believed race relations had improved dramatically. I was fooled.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
This is essentially Trayvon Part 2 except we have video to better understand Ahmaud's self defense rights.

The question this will come down to is if Ahmaud had a reasonable right to initiate an attack in self defense given the situation.

The problem is the rights of the initiator seem to supersede the rights of the harassed. It's apparently lawfully reasonable to initiate conduct that would result in a fight or flight response, and then legally respond with fatal force.

I'm afraid they'll get away with it.
Maybe I missed it, but are we even sure Ahmaud initiated anything? He goes to the side of the truck and then they appear on the other side already fighting. I'm also confused why some posters are saying he was chased. They seem to be parked and waiting for action. It's bizarre and disgusting. I wouldn't blame Ahmaud for assuming they're going to assault him and being defensive. They're just standing there with guns drawn. Even if there's somehow more to this story like they did actually witness him stealing something and got into a big fight a block away, that wouldn't excuse just standing there with guns ready to shoot him later on.

More to your point though, it's not about the rights of the initiator or harasser, it's simply whoever is left standing gets to make up whatever they want....assuming they're white.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
I believe you shouldn't be able to claim self defense when you go out of your way to chase him down and do a citizen's arrest with guns.

But I'm not the grand jury who will let them go.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Those two deserve to be dragged from their house by a mob. The fact that they haven't is proof positive that black people, almost detrimentally, have the patience of saints.

TheBaldEmperor

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
He had no other option but to fight for his life. You can't outrun a gun. In the year of 2020 no less... beyond sad.

Vish

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe I missed it, but are we even sure Ahmaud initiated anything? He goes to the side of the truck and then they appear on the other side already fighting. I'm also confused why some posters are saying he was chased. They seem to be parked and waiting for action. It's bizarre and disgusting. I wouldn't blame Ahmaud for assuming they're going to assault him and being defensive. They're just standing there with guns drawn. Even if there's somehow more to this story like they did actually witness him stealing something and got into a big fight a block away, that wouldn't excuse just standing there with guns ready to shoot him later on.

More to your point though, it's not about the rights of the initiator or harasser, it's simply whoever is left standing gets to make up whatever they want....assuming they're white.

The article talks about being chased.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It couldn't be more clear that the OP intends the exact opposite - but "execution" is a lawful and state sanctioned killing - this is a brutal and senseless murder.

Those Killers are going to claim lawful defense and a lawful killing so I think it's important not to even ironically gift them any such semantic benefit of the doubt.

Murder.

Murderers.

Not execution. I understand perfectly the OP is highlighting the clinical brutality but language is the teeth of the law.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Racist pieces of fucking garbage.

They murdered that man and would've obviously gotten away with it too. Why the fuck do they need a shotgun to deal with this situation?

Lock them both up for life.

Of course this is just gonna be another Trayvon situation because of course they feared for their lives that someone would react strongly to being chased by random white trash with a gun.

Self defense only works one way, don't you know?

2020? Seems we haven't yet evolved from 1920 yet.
fuck locking them up. bury them under the prison. give them the chair. I don't care. just make them be gone forever.

Fucking pieces of shit.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Ugh, that is terrible. I don't want to watch. My heart goes out to the victim's family. Hope those murderers get thrown in prison for life.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Has nothing to do with their intent? They could have killed him with a horse, a tree, and some rope?
Please show me the last video of two people pursuing and killing black man with a rope or a tree.

Fucking hell. Tools are tools because they make things easier.

Ban fucking guns like every other nation on earth.

Oct 25, 2017

The guy in the truck with the recording was part of the gang and was chasing him with his truck.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
fuck locking them up. bury them under the prison. give them the chair. I don't care. just make them be gone forever.

Fucking pieces of shit.
Can't argue with that.

We should fashion up a white Bear experience for these fools and make them run for their lives every day for the rest of their putrid lives. Make them forever relive that fear that their victim felt in that moment.

That's something I can't get over from this. Just putting yourselves in his shoes? What a fucking tragic nightmare. How else should any black man in the South, knowing the history of America, react to his circumstances?

The fact that these prosecutors still weren't gonna charge them just makes me the maddest of all. No one should feel this is acceptable. There MUST be justice.

Lord Hypnos

Oct 31, 2017
UK
It boggles the mind that these two even thought it was a good idea to chase after someone with guns in the first place. What kind of society raises people to think they can dish out this warped form of justice based on nothing more than a racist hunch that a black man out for a run must be up to no good?

Absolute scum.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Those murderers threatened him with a gun. We can't really see the exact moment he made contact with them, but in my opinion, he was the only one with a right to self defense. They should be in jail.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
The guy in the truck with the recording was part of the gang and was chasing him with his truck.
Oh! I thought we didn't know who took the video. The OP even says "CNN has not independently verified who recorded the video." But that certainly explains why somebody was just recording a random dude jogging down the street.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
It's insane that if there was no video evidence these inbreds would likely get off scott free.
They're probably going to get off scot free anyway because Gregory McMichael, the older fuck, was once a police officer, and also America is really prone to letting murderous white men free. Legal justice will be a glitch in the system.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sure, but that's how it has been talked about before the video came out. Now we see the video there is no chasing. They're just waiting for him. Which isn't any better or anything, so not worth splitting hairs over it.

and how do you think exactly they got ahead of him? do you think they were waiting for him there? by mere chance??

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
That was a lynching.
I disagree. Zimmerman was on neighborhood watch and was asking Martin questions, and he contacted police first. He was also on the ground getting beat up when he fired the shot (of course, the dispatcher said not to pursue him, but I'm giving the facts presented in the best light for him).

Maybe I'm missing the sarcasm you're going for, and I don't want to derail this thread with a relitigation of the Trayvon Martin case, but I just want to point out that "the facts" are bullshit and we all understand that.

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree. Zimmerman was on neighborhood watch and was asking Martin questions, and he contacted police first. He was also on the ground getting beat up when he fired the shot (of course, the dispatcher said not to pursue him, but I'm giving the facts presented in the best light for him). In this case, it was two against one, neither was on the ground when they fired the shots, they actually chased him in a car instead of confronting him on foot jnitially, were not on neighborhood watch, and never got the police involved until afterwards. And the video is damming, the video was probably damming in the Martin case as well, but we don't have it.

Edit: I'll say this, I wouldn't be surprised if they got off. It looks like Georgia has a stand your ground law. I just don't think the facts are the same as the Martin case, so I guess we'll see.
I suggest you watch this before you repeat this shit again.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I guess the discussion can continue here with the new thread, but it's disheartening to see the usual suspects on Twitter start preparing the usual excuses ("He was no angel", "Why didn't he just comply to the lawful stop", "Why would he react aggressively to a man with a gun", etc). I even saw someone bitching in Biden's thread that he's disrespecting cops and making it about race, when he mentioned neither. They're telling on themselves.

What magical combination of actions and words could have saved Mr Arbery's life? And how would any of us be expected to carry those out under the same circumstances? I'm a tall black man, I'm a casual runner, if people start heckling me from their car (it happens here in MA), I ignore them and just keep running. If those people were visibly armed? I'm sprinting like Ricky in Boyz N the Hood. If they cut me off, jump out of the car, and aggressively approach me after I tried to run away, my thought would be, "well I can't outrun them, disarming is the only recourse" because it's pretty obvious these people are out to hurt me.

The idea that starting a physical altercation where you are the only person armed could end in you shouting "self defense" is ridiculous, and these Stand Your Ground/Citizen Arrest laws exist only to codify lynching.

Yeah I mean no lie a part of me sort of hopes the people insisting that Arbery should have complied one day find themselves, while jogging, chased by gun toting crazies in a truck screaming at them to stop.

It's so fucking disingenuous. Who the fuck, in any god damn country, would STOP for a car of angry men with guns yelling at you if it wasn't a police car? I'd also be sprinting away while dialing 911 and screaming bloody murder (because I would assume bloody murder is about to occur ..that is, mine). If I were cornered and thought I was going to die if I didn't fight ... I'd try and fight too.

I mean, as a woman you're taught that if someone is trying to kidnap you, you need to fight back with all your might if they try to move you to a second location because you're dead anyway. At least if you resist, you have a chance. If you don't, you have none. A car full of angry men chasing you with guns rises to that level of "they're interested in killing me." That's the non-stupid assumption to make, and anyone who pretends like it's not are just disingenuous bigots trying to dismiss racism...or are really that daft and would go the way of the dodo bird if we didn't have warning labels on everything.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's murder:(

A modern day Emmett Till scenario and they'll get away with it too.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Hostility towards members over a series of posts in a sensitive thread
That was a lynching.

Maybe I'm missing the sarcasm you're going for, and I don't want to derail this thread with a relitigation of the Trayvon Martin case, but I just want to point out that "the facts" are bullshit and we all understand that.

It wasn't sarcasm. I presented the facts in the light most favorable to Zimmerman. These were the facts that his attorneys presented, and what the jury believed. I even said "I'm giving the facts presented in the best light for him" to show that even if you believed the best possible scenario for Zimmerman like his jury did, this case is much worse. I obviously believe Zimmerman was guilty of murder, try reading next time.

WarMacheen

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Play the 911 call for the jury, their supposed justification is recorded. Guilty as fuck.

At best, the men had the authority to follow Arbery and send law enforcement to that location, Merritt said. The 911 calls show the call taker was asking the men what Arbery is doing that was of criminal concern, Merritt said.
"They didn't give any answer for that, they said, 'He's a black man running down our road,'" Merritt said.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let these fuckers rot in prison. Human fucking garbage, fucking god damn animals. Fuck. Sorry im really pissed after seeing this

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I'll say what I said in the other thread. This was a modern day lynching. Those racist fucks saw a black guy doing something they didn't like and decided to chase him down in a truck and kill him for it. This story sounds like something that happened in the south in the 50's or 60's not modern day America.

The fact that those animals aren't in jail right now is absolute bullshit.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
and how do you think exactly they got ahead of him? do you think they were waiting for him there? by mere chance??
I won't lie, I hadn't read the full article, but reading it in full now it sounds like they'd seen him running before and were likely just waiting for him, yes.

Play the 911 call for the jury, their supposed justification is recorded. Guilty as fuck.
Yeah, I'd love to think that would lead to a guaranteed conviction but that it's even in question is disgusting.

Oct 31, 2017

Out of curiosity, is this situation dystopic enough for you or are you still laughing at Americans who don't want to live with this kind of shit happening constantly?

When you made that post, I knew something like this would happen sooner than later. When you posted that you cackle when Americans act like America is some kind of dystopia, that was super disgusting. I have to let you know that.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
How long before media and Fox News says it's the black persons fault for running and tries to taint his name.

Oct 27, 2017
I won't watch the video because I already feel sick to my stomach. These two fucks might get off scot free, the DA who recommended no arrests were made will almost assuredly keep his fucking job, people have heard and will continue to hear about this and even watch the video only to still conclude that Arbery deserved to die. It's too much. Black Lives Matter will continue to be a contentious thing in a country that so clearly and so openly does not give a single fuck about black lives. A country that actively hates black lives. I'm so fucking angry.