• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I'm showing my age lmao. 🤣
I guess you could say it's just another small thing for people to... Whine about.

giphy.gif
Gawt damn it.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Agreed. It's simple arithmetic. This new revision weighs half a pound less, right? And copper is a valuable metal. Goes for almost $5/lb. So sony is saving $2.50 but have they reduced the price by $2.50 to make up for it?

No they haven't.

And yeah, if it blows hotter, the room will get hotter faster. It's simple math. That may be fine in winter, but it sucks in the summer and, for those of us who, like me, live in tropical areas like florida where it's never cold inside, and who play tons of PS5, it probably costs an extra $0.50 to $1 in electric bill every month, which comes out to up to $12/year or $84 over the lifetime of the console.

So now we're at $84 + 2.5 = $86.50 dollars!

Conclusion: Sony is pulling a fast one on new customers who expected the console to fit the exact thermal specs and fan profiles they extensively researched. And what if they were intending to use the PS5 as a counterweight in some elaborate Home Alone-esque fashion to protect themselves from comically inept burglars? Now the weight is off. The trap won't work and people could die.

And this is why you shouldn't trust corporations.

Underrated post.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017

It's not an underrated post because the exit temperate of the air does not heat up the room faster and it's apparently not simple math for most people.

The energy that the SOC needs to put into the room doesn't change by any significant amount based on this change. That same quantity of energy has to get from the console into the room regardless.

(Unless it was sarcasm, then yeah it is an underrated post.)

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
Lol. Apologies. Your post inspired my post.
I thought the Home Alone reference at the end could replace a /sarcasm spoiler
Haha never apologize for success. I'm old enough to have seen home alone, but too old to have a good memory anymore.

Jul 18, 2021
It's not happening with every unit though and even then the people that do have it are more than likely a small subset of people and even more so others who may even have it totally are unaware of it. Unless you play your games in a silent room with no sound at all I fail to understand how this is some catastrophic issue that needs to be addressed with every unit. Lol.

Even if they do fix it, it'll be a bit after the release of whatever revision fixes it before you know for sure given how few people it currently impacts.

Most people don't have coil whine with the original, so how are they supposed to know if it's made a difference?
You guys are "funny". I had three consoles myself, in my home. They all had coil whine. I went to four different friends and family members, also all got coil whine. So what are you even talking about? I have heard seven PS5 consoles in total, and all seven had the exact same issue with coil whine.

And I read similar stories from time to time, even in this forum.

Edit: Believe me, or don't believe me. I know what I'm talking about.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
You guys are "funny". I had three consoles myself, in my home. They all had coil whine. I went to four different friends and family members, also all got coil whine. So what are you even talking about? I have heard seven PS5 consoles in total, and all seven had the exact same issue with coil whine.

You have seven out of 7 million consoles. unless you have a sample size of at least thousand plus consoles all having said issue you cannot draw this as some widespread issue. Do you understand how you sound right now. Even time to time you are going to have certain people just like you that are going to be vocal about the issue Which almost always happens online most people report the stuff that is happening to them vs the stuff working just fine. Even if 10% of consoles sold have the issue they arent going to do anything about it. It would need to be in the high 30% or more of them to even say its an issue.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017

I don't believe you.
Unless you're literally putting your ear up to each of those PS5s.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017

I mean that could be that there was a bad batch that got sent to your area.

My PS5 has no coil whine.

Most people's PS5's are silent:

www.resetera.com

PS5 Owners - How is the noise of your console while playing a game?

Please respond to the poll as to the noise when playing a game and your TV/speakers muted. --- Now that the PS5 is out in the wild in the EU I think it would be useful to get some general idea on how people are finding the noise of their units, as it's become a topic of conversation. It would...

There are definitely a lot of people who have coil whine, but the vast majority don't.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
If mine had the noise people describe I'd use the warranty. But don't expect them to replace it if you need to put your ear 3 inches from the console to hear it.

(actually my warranty was void the same day I received it and had multiple teardowns and a few missing screws now, so I'd have to replace the capacitor myself)

AngelOFDeath

Nov 13, 2017
If mine had the noise people describe I'd use the warranty. But don't expect them to replace it if you need to put your ear 3 inches from the console to hear it.

(actually my warranty was void the same day I received it and had multiple teardowns and a few missing screws now, so I'd have to replace the capacitor myself)
Some people will tell you its a design flaw with the console because they have no choice but to have the console inches away from their face to game.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Every major instance of "concern" regarding the PS5 so far (Only 100 games are backward compatible! The PS5 is actually 9.2 TF! Sony desperately upped the clocks at the last minute! PS5 is using RDNA 1.5, not RDNA 2.0! Swapping in an SSD in the PS5 is too complicated for the average person!, etc...) has ended up being a nothing burger. It is like some people are almost hoping the PS5 ends up with some crippling flaw. Until I see reports of this new PS5 model dropping dead due to overheating, I will assume Sony did their due diligence making sure this new PS5 model operates as it should.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
I used to have a Radeon 295x2 running on my rig. I used to game in my small room...let just say it got HOT I'm there. Toasty in winter.

PiranhaMan

Apr 26, 2020
I think the biggest FUD was when Sony pulled out of PAX 2020 and GDC due to COVID-19 and a lot of people thought it had something to do with the PS5 being in trouble and that it was going to be delayed until 2021.

www.resetera.com

PlayStation cancels planned PAX East appearance due to increasing concerns related to Coronavirus [See Staff Post]

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2020/02/13/playstation-at-pax-east-play-the-last-of-us-part-ii-final-fantasy-vii-remake-more/

www.resetera.com

Sony, Facebook, KojiPro cancel GDC appearances due to coronavirus (Up2: Microsoft, Amazon, and Epic are also out) [See Staff Post]

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-02-20-playstation-and-facebook-cancel-gdc-appearances-citing-coronavirus-concerns “PlayStation and Facebook Gaming/Oculus will not be attending this year's Game Developers Conference due to concerns around the novel coronavirus COVID19. It follows...

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
When people say they have coil whine do they mean constantly and under all circumstances? Because since launch I've heard all kinds of noises occasionally from my PS5 but currently, unless I put my ear to, it I don't hear anything. Nothing that rises above ambient room tone anyway.

When I have heard coil whine, it was in specific circumstances and I could even manipulate the sound by moving the camera around in game to (presumably) affect system workload.

But since the last couple of firmware updates I haven't heard any whine or even much fan noise, at least on the rare occasions I'm not using headphones.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
This is just another routine concern topic that is always overblown and always involves Sony.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I think the biggest FUD was when Sony pulled out of PAX 2020 and GCD due to covid and a lot of people thought it had something to do with the PS5 being in trouble and that it was going to be delayed until 2021.

www.resetera.com

PlayStation cancels planned PAX East appearance due to increasing concerns related to Coronavirus [See Staff Post]

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2020/02/13/playstation-at-pax-east-play-the-last-of-us-part-ii-final-fantasy-vii-remake-more/

www.resetera.com

Sony, Facebook, KojiPro cancel GDC appearances due to coronavirus (Up2: Microsoft, Amazon, and Epic are also out) [See Staff Post]

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-02-20-playstation-and-facebook-cancel-gdc-appearances-citing-coronavirus-concerns “PlayStation and Facebook Gaming/Oculus will not be attending this year's Game Developers Conference due to concerns around the novel coronavirus COVID19. It follows...

Yep. The fucking morons at the time acting like COVID was no big deal and surely Sony must be hiding some kind of pre-launch failure

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
Yep. The fucking morons at the time acting like COVID was no big deal and surely Sony must be hiding some kind of pre-launch failure
Hindsight thought. This was back in mid February when we still didn't know a lot about the effects of COVID or how it even spread. There was also only 15 known cases in the U.S. Nobody really knew how big of a deal it was outside of China.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
It doesn't even have to be something as serious as COVID. I remember people were using some really elaborately written anonymous forum post about Sony being in trouble, the PS5 having terrible yields, and some other stuff that was tailored to sound as bleak as possible. There was discussion on this forum about that post and people using it to push FUD and to air their "concerns" about the PS5.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
It's gaslighting.

There's been a new baseless FUD article about PS5 every week for a year now and old ones come back in a cycle. It's not worth debunking anymore. I don't think a lot of people believe this outside of these circles. They're parasite channels feeding on gullible and insecure gamers who are forever angry at the success of a console they don't want anyway, so they crave the reinforcement and they subscribe to these channels. It's clearly a profitable business and they deserve no more respect than supermarket tabloids. In fact they use the same techniques.

I expect the screw will come back any day now. Maybe a fake news that some kid swallowed the screw or something? It's a dangerous product that should be recalled? Will somebody think of the children?
Fantastic post.
FUD campaign has not even begun to cease yet.

PiranhaMan

Apr 26, 2020
The new video from Austin.

www.youtube.com

Let's Talk About The New PS5

The original PS5 video: https://youtu.be/taKKVBVoKhgXbox Series X overheating: https://youtu.be/n5eXwMCa3KoDigital Foundry's excellent PS5 CFI-1100 article: ...
The fact that he thinks the new PS5 is "worse" and a "downgrade" simply because he measured a few degrees of more heat at the exhaust vents and that it has a smaller heatsink is rather ridiculous lol.

Nero3000

May 12, 2020
The new video from Austin.

www.youtube.com

Let's Talk About The New PS5

The original PS5 video: https://youtu.be/taKKVBVoKhgXbox Series X overheating: https://youtu.be/n5eXwMCa3KoDigital Foundry's excellent PS5 CFI-1100 article: ...

I got to the point where he said " what i saw was the new PS5 runs hotter and..." and closed the video. Clearly doesn't get that what his previous video did was wildly misrepresented facts for entertainment, which is the MO of these types of video - but doesnt own up to that in his follow up.

I generally like some of his stuff and can usually gloss over the ignorance in some of his comments (in the name of entertainment) and wrote off the previous video as that - but by posting a reply implies the videos are more than that.

Truckondo

Oct 25, 2017
Garden Grove, CA
I got to the point where he said " what i saw was the new PS5 runs hotter and..." and closed the video. Clearly doesn't get that what his previous video did was wildly misrepresented facts for entertainment, which is the MO of these types of video - but doesnt own up to that in his follow up.

I generally like some of his stuff and can usually gloss over the ignorance in some of his comments (in the name of entertainment) and wrote off the previous video as that - but by posting a reply implies the videos are more than that.

I've seen other videos talking about the Austin Evans video and the lack of a full inspection of the unit. On the surface, yes the console has a smaller heat sink and he measured slight higher temps from the exhaust. But if you scroll by his YouTube thumbnail for the video, it just says "The new PS5 is worse". Of course a lot of people are going to take the bait. Based on his previous videos related to Xbox, I wasn't surprised.

Oct 26, 2017

???

He literally goes into that if you had bothered to watch the entire video. He goes through the criticisms that people said with his video.

So strange to make that assumption when you're the one who closed it. And I say this as someone who thinks the degrees in heating probably makes sense with the slight increase in electrical consumption (225w vs. 230w).

Deleted member 10014

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 11, 2021
???

He literally goes into that if you had bothered to watch the entire video. He goes through the criticisms that people said with his video.

So strange to make that assumption when you're the one who closed it. And I say this as someone who thinks the degrees in heating probably makes sense with the slight increase in electrical consumption (225w vs. 230w).

Austin has already been debunked by digital foundry in an article and gamers Nexus on Twitter. Not sure why you are pitching your tent on this ignorant clickbait merchant.

Deleted member 10014

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 11, 2021
Did you even bother to read the chain of quotes?

Did you?

Here is a brilliant take from one of my all time favourite YouTubers on why someone like Austin might have put this kind of video out.

youtu.be

Debunking & Who is Scrumdidlyumptious? | How To Cook That Ann Reardon

Debunking more 5 minute crafts and tiktok videos. Answering the question of who is scrumdidlyumptious? Can you make the chocolate hand? Does the youtube al...

I urge everyone to watch From the 15 minute mark onwards about how YouTube algorithm can be manipulated and can boost deliberately negative content.

It's fascinating stuff. (You might as well watch the whole video because Ann reardon is awesome)

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Toxicity, doxing etc is pretty extreme for the content.
He admits it may be baity because of playing by the algorithm rules, but ultimately it's about a console degree hotter by his testing method.

Long term experience and more testing needed.

Syranth

Oct 28, 2017
Every major instance of "concern" regarding the PS5 so far (Only 100 games are backward compatible! The PS5 is actually 9.2 TF! Sony desperately upped the clocks at the last minute! PS5 is using RDNA 1.5, not RDNA 2.0! Swapping in an SSD in the PS5 is too complicated for the average person!, etc...) has ended up being a nothing burger. It is like some people are almost hoping the PS5 ends up with some crippling flaw. Until I see reports of this new PS5 model dropping dead due to overheating, I will assume Sony did their due diligence making sure this new PS5 model operates as it should.
There are days I wonder if it's Xbox RROD defenders. Man I wish we all just wanted each other to play games.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that he thinks the new PS5 is "worse" and a "downgrade" simply because he measured a few degrees of more heat at the exhaust vents and that it has a smaller heatsink is rather ridiculous lol.

Worse is a relative term. Electrics running hotter is usually worse than them running cooler. There's nothing really ridiculous about the use of "worse" here.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
It might be because Microsoft with their little ressources is seen as the underdog and people rooting for them ?

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
I think it's sometimes important to remember we are dealing with video games here. Talk fervently and get impassioned by them for sure, but always keep in mind that these aren't life and death situations. Brands will endure criticism (whether grounded or not) and games will always be around in one form or another.

It's always disappointing when people feel the need to go and harass someone because they said something either ill-informed or wrong about their favorite product. If what they said was stupid or wrong then tbh be glad because it it wasn't it would be worse for you as a fan presumably.

Oct 25, 2017
Worse is a relative term. Electrics running hotter is usually worse than them running cooler. There's nothing really ridiculous about the use of "worse" here.
I think the point is that he didn't measure the temperature of the components so even if we grant you that hotter is worse, there's no evidence yet that the components are hotter.

Oct 26, 2017

You just wasted time writing that post when it has absolutely nothing to do with what the user and I were talking about.

The point of discussion between me and the other user wasn't about clickbaiting. It was that the user admitted to closing out of the video before the point where Austin explained his viewpoint and reasoning for the test. In that same explanation, Austin flat out says that his error was not differentiating that exhaust heat =/= internal thermals, especially as he doesn't have access to tolerances. His reasoning was, "system runs hotter > less heat is being pulled out due to smaller size of the heatsink > PS5 uses variable clocks > risk of performance degradation over time."

Furthermore, it was an opinion, not something he espoused as fact so if you disagreed with him, cool. This makes your "tent-digging" shit so illogical. It's not even that I agree with Austin because I literally also wrote out that the slight increase in exhaust heat makes sense with the slight increase in power consumption, so it wasn't necessarily a big deal to me, but you've demonstrated painfully bad reading comprehension and changed the argument into something that it wasn't.

There's a gulf of difference between calling someone disingenuous with the information laid out, vs. calling someone disingenuous because you were too lazy to hear the full explanation.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. It's literally every single little thing. Not a single component has gone by without this happening.

Fantastic post.
FUD campaign has not even begun to cease yet.
This.