• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
I remember playing this demo several years ago. It was amazing. So sad that we probably never going to see a full version of the game.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like their site is down.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
Thanks downloding it now
Changelog:

-Switch from 4.15 to 4.21 Unreal Engine version

-Photo-mode added in the pause menu, snapshots are saved at C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Local\TombRaiderDOX\Saved\Screenshots\WindowsNoEditor

-New water simulation rendering (can be turn off in graphics options)

-New volumetric lighting (can be turn off in graphics options), it also should make some interior place a little bit brighter

-Climbable ledges should be more visible with some white decals (can be adjusted or turn off in game options)

-New alternative outfit added in the rewards menu (for playing with it, simply select it in the outfit menu before launching a new game)

-More characters models added in the rewards menu

-New fish models reacting to the player's movements

-New dead body models

-Small improvements about Lara's animations, especially when she start and stop running

-Adjustements of the body shape of Lara for something a little bit more realistic

-More foliage interaction especially for cave's area and underwater

-Better crow's animation in the first cinematic

-Remaking of the audio reverb system

-Improvements of the underwater particles

-Kick and interact are now on the same input cause the previous kick input will be used for another thing in the futur, like in Tomb Raider Underworld (reset the binding configuration to the default state to see the correct input name)

-Tiger will move backward if Lara is stucked between him and an obstacle

-Performance improvements

-Many small bug fixes

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Looks so good and what difference manual grab makes.

jYqWINk.png

ZKm3iOx.png

DavZepg.png

jSOT1xt.png

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Has the dev laid out their overall goal with this project? Obviously doing the entire game even at a brisker pace was near impossible unless they aimed to spend 20 years on it. But I feel like they're spending too much time on just the first level, if they have any intention at all of doing more than 2-3 levels at best.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Has the dev laid out their overall goal with this project? Obviously doing the entire game even at a brisker pace was near impossible unless they aimed to spend 20 years on it. But I feel like they're spending too much time on just the first level, if they have any intention at all of doing more than 2-3 levels at best.

He is doing entire game and he is already working on other levels.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Looks fantastic

God I hope the next TR game is more like the old ones from levels to Lara's character and design

Oct 28, 2017
Well that was out of nowhere!
I'm subscribed to the Youtube channel, but there was nothing for years, and also still no news on the website, just the updated download page. I hope this project will be finished and won't be taken down.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Looks fantastic

God I hope the next TR game is more like the old ones from levels to Lara's character and design

My hope is that the next Tomb Raider game is a soft reboot that doesn't tell us an origin story again but goes back to a more fun and colorful and adventurous world. Tomb Raider Legend/Anniversary should be what they look at.

But what's wrong with her newer design?

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Well that was out of nowhere!
I'm subscribed to the Youtube channel, but there was nothing for years, and also still no news on the website, just the updated download page. I hope this project will be finished and won't be taken down.

Developer has permission from Crystal Dynamics and Square Enix.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
My hope is that the next Tomb Raider game is a soft reboot that doesn't tell us an origin story again but goes back to a more fun and colorful and adventurous world. Tomb Raider Legend/Anniversary should be what they look at.

But what's wrong with her newer design?

Its boring and doesn't stand out not to mention her old one simply looked better. Let one of the most iconic gaming characters be and look like herself again. You could put any character in the world in Lara's old outift and its immediately recognizable that that character is wearing Lara's outfit despite her old outfit not even being some crazy elaborate design.

Last edited:

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
Wait wait wait, he's actually doing more?! The entire game?! Holy hell... That' awesome! I remember being blown away by that original demo, can't wait to see more of this.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
I still got this finish this game (it seems that I left it at Barkhang Monastery) but having played it recently, it's incredible to see it looking like this.
I'm one of those that loves the original design, but it looks a bit weird on that first photo. The rest look great, though.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
I thought he was just going to do the Great Wall and Croft Manor level? Full game will be quite a feat, unless he gets more help or such.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
Got a bug I guess where I basically softlocked. Otherwise, man I do not miss fifth generation game design. I appreciate it and see the appeal but this ain't for me.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I commend with his passion to keep working on this.

It won't probably ever get finished, but a very impressive accomplishment still.

Dreenk

Oct 27, 2017
This is awesome, thanks for the heads up! I didn't realize this was something I wanted, but I would totally play this if it were actually done.

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
Just completed the demo.

In terms of graphics and atmosphere, this is top-notch. I also thought the last puzzle was a good one, had me scratching my head for a bit but it all came together well. Some moments which will take old fans by surprise. Voice actress for Lara's journal entries was spot-on.

I'm not sure how I felt about the platforming. Some of the earliest jumps looked like Lara would never make them, and with manual grab enabled the animation can be odd, leading to some "magnetic" moments. There were some jumps where manual grab only worked if you had it held down before making the jump, whereas in both the CORE Design games and the first CD trilogy you can press it right after jumping and make all jumps.

The pacing is a lot slower than the original, whether that's a good or bad thing is debatable.

For a fan effort this is really impressive, and I look forward to what comes next. My only wish is they refine the marriage between the level design and the platforming, this is what really makes classic Tomb Raider. I think you can already see improvement in the later parts of the demo, so I'm optimistic.

EDIT: Shout-out to the composer as well, music suited the atmosphere well.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
While I know that square and crystal dynamics already gave permission for this project to go ahead, I am really surprised they haven't tried to actually give this guy a team and actually finish the project. I would buy it in a heart beat.

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
I remember playing the demo build long ago; have not followed any updates ever since and it was cool. But new TR by Crystal Dynamics really spoiled me with navigation assists and clues.
I have problem finding the path to advance in the fan demo, but I guess that's what classic TR should be where you truly figure out the path and clues without any highlight assists.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
Looks really good. Seems sorta weird to start remaking the second game before the first.