• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why?
She worked for Rocksmith, but his presidency was over by the end of CS IV. Unless the new president took her to his side.

Depends on how that plays out but
Lechter
occupied that weird space between ally and antagonist. In fact almost everybody outside Class 7 new and old ended up being an antagonist at some point in the erebonia arc. Like literally everybody aside from Olivier.

Basslover

Jan 28, 2018
It is really hard reading this thread as someone who likes cold steel/ Rean.

Just pure hyperbole, CS is TRASH!!!! and I'm going to take my eyes out if Rean shows up or something!!...JFC

Anyways, on topic, really exciting news, and I'm glad about the cast size, I loved CS characters but there was definitely too many. I believe one of zero's strengths was the smaller cast you got from the beginning.

Also looking forward to non-teenager MCs

Eren Jäger

Jul 19, 2020
Don't get me wrong I don't hate Rean and in fact he definitely has some good sides to him. However, I think the issue lies in him starring in too many games compared to everyone else.
Oh, I didn't mean your post, but many others in here. But you are right, Kiseki needs a fresh start with new faces. Will be interesting to play with a new MC.

Anyway, what will Calvard look like? In my imagination, Calvard has always been like America due to its person names (Rocksmith), the government (Republic with a president) and lots of immigration.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I didn't mean your post, but many others in here. But you are right, Kiseki needs a fresh start with new faces. Will be interesting to play with a new MC.

Anyway, what will Calvard look like? In my imagination, Calvard has always been like America due to its person names (Rocksmith), the government (Republic with a president) and lots of immigration.

I think the small lore bits that describes the geography of Calvard usually refers to the desertification that's encroaching the country from the east. Western Calvard probably looks like Erebonia (or the rest of zemuria) but the further east you get it becomes more and more desert. Other than that, some mixture of Erebonia and Crossbell's eastern district. It depends if the only immigrant analogues are japanese/chinese in theme, which isn't quite clear yet.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017

I'm hoping it has a lot of eastern influence. That one official art that was released a while back that had a red haired character in the front was something I imagined Calvard to look like. It had a lot of eastern influence and looked great.

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
Please don't be Rean,
Please don't be Rean,
Please don't be Rean.

I don't even hate the character of Rean, I hate how the games and everybody in the games treat him. Also please don't have the FFVII remake combat, that travesty should have been chucked in the garbage bin in the design stage. I would be fine with an ATB system, just as long as it maintains some semblance of being a turn based JRPG system, and not the dumb ARPG offshoots that Final Fantasy has become over the last 15 years.

Eren Jäger

Jul 19, 2020
I think the small lore bits that describes the geography of Calvard usually refers to the desertification that's encroaching the country from the east. Western Calvard probably looks like Erebonia (or the rest of zemuria) but the further east you get it becomes more and more desert. Other than that, some mixture of Erebonia and Crossbell's eastern district. It depends if the only immigrant analogues are japanese/chinese in theme, which isn't quite clear yet.
I'm hoping it has a lot of eastern influence. That one official art that was released a while back that had a red haired character in the front was something I imagined Calvard to look like. It had a lot of eastern influence and looked great.
Oh yes, east asian culture and architecture. Maybe that will influence the music in the Calvard arc. Also, I imagine Calvard to be more modern in its design, i. e. buildings and fashion. IIRC the Calvardians we have seen so far looked a bit less flamboyant that Erebonians. Would be a nice contrast.

Immigration and desertification could be important story elements (or the main ones?) in the coming arc. But if the desert is coming from the east, other countries should be affected too. Isn't Leman supposed to be in central Zemuria?

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yes, east asian culture and architecture. Maybe that will influence the music in the Calvard arc. Also, I imagine Calvard to be more modern in its design, i. e. buildings and fashion. IIRC the Calvardians we have seen so far looked a bit less flamboyant that Erebonians. Would be a nice contrast.

Immigration and desertification could be important story elements (or the main ones?) in the coming arc. But if the desert is coming from the east, other countries should be affected too. Isn't Leman supposed to be in central Zemuria?

It's also 2 years after the end of CSIV (and I'm Hajimari im guessing but I'm avoiding everything about the plot of that game lol). Two years in Zemuria time is like 50 in ours, so they might be Trails of Cyberpunk for all we know lmfao

Also yeah, Leman is Central Erebonia, like dead center so it'll be revealed once we see the map with Calvard included.

Eren Jäger

Jul 19, 2020
It's also 2 years after the end of CSIV (and I'm Hajimari im guessing but I'm avoiding everything about the plot of that game lol). Two years in Zemuria time is like 50 in ours, so they might be Trails of Cyberpunk for all we know lmfao

Also yeah, Leman is Central Erebonia, like dead center so it'll be revealed once we see the map with Calvard included.
lol, yeah, who knows what level of technology Zemuria has achieved. This will lead to cyberpunk or science fiction story, depending how long the series will last.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
If Rean had a duology like every other protagonist with exception of Kevin people would have a different tune I feel.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Isn't Arteria within Leman state aka Vatican in Italy? Should give an idea where it is since that's on the map

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't Arteria within Leman state aka Vatican in Italy? Should give an idea where it is since that's on the map

No Arteria is its own City-State similar to Crossbell. Its not located within Leman State, which is almost exclusively only referred to when talking about Bracer HQ. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but they're two separate places

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Please don't be Rean,
Please don't be Rean,
Please don't be Rean.

I don't even hate the character of Rean, I hate how the games and everybody in the games treat him. Also please don't have the FFVII remake combat, that travesty should have been chucked in the garbage bin in the design stage. I would be fine with an ATB system, just as long as it maintains some semblance of being a turn based JRPG system, and not the dumb ARPG offshoots that Final Fantasy has become over the last 15 years.
You don't know the legend of Rean: trails of rean?

truth be told I'm burnt out of him too, one more game to go when it gets localized.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
No Arteria is its own City-State similar to Crossbell. Its not located within Leman State, which is almost exclusively only referred to when talking about Bracer HQ. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but they're two separate places
Yeah Leman State is only referred to as both where the Bracer HQ is as well as where the Epstein Foundation was founded. It could be possible that Arteria borders the northern part of Leman, but as you said like Crossbell, Arteria is its own separate nation. Hopefully we will get a better sense of the map of Eastern Zemuria with this new game.

Pimienta

Oct 25, 2017
We did see Altair in Azure/Ao, and it was very Middle-East-ish. We can expect Calvard to be a country of multiple cultures blending together, instead of the more German-like Erebonia.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
Is that picture part of some other art for the series? Or are they implying Estelle and crew will be somehow in this one?

nintendoman58

Oct 25, 2017
Its really easy to explain the dislike of rean. He's a very bland character borrowing from LN tropes that mantained his leading role for like, five games. All the other Kiseki MCs just had a duology to themselves if even that..

There's a clear difference between a "dislike" and "hatred". Hatred that's so strong that there's legitimate fears in people that he's going to be the main character in a new series that takes place in a different country and is going to have 90% new characters.

If you don't like a character, fine. But if your dislike for him is strong enough to the point of completely irrational thinking, maybe it's time to step away from the franchise in which he's a major part of? And yeah I'm calling it irrational thinking because no rational mind wastes this much energy mustering up hatred for a fictional character of which the worst you can say about him is that he's a little on the bland side.

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
There's a clear difference between a "dislike" and "hatred". Hatred that's so strong that there's legitimate fears in people that he's going to be the main character in a new series that takes place in a different country and is going to have 90% new characters.

If you don't like a character, fine. But if your dislike for him is strong enough to the point of completely irrational thinking, maybe it's time to step away from the franchise in which he's a major part of? And yeah I'm calling it irrational thinking because no rational mind wastes this much energy mustering up hatred for a fictional character of which the worst you can say about him is that he's a little on the bland side.

Posting on a internet forum doesn't take that much energy or effort really.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
The real question is, will they mismanage this arc too and be forced to split the first game into two because it got too long?

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean I like Rean tbh, but as soon as I saw the screenshot of the supposed new mc my immediate reaction was "oh no, not more Rean." It ain't necessarily a purely hateful reaction lol.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Please don't be Rean,
Please don't be Rean,
Please don't be Rean.

All of this

Oct 27, 2017
Watching all the Rean hate in this thread...

tenor.gif

Yep. He could just as easily be an expy of Victor Arseid for all we know, and we know relatively little.
I'd like a Victor Arseid origin story.
Also please don't have the FFVII remake combat, that travesty should have been chucked in the garbage bin in the design stage. I would be fine with an ATB system, just as long as it maintains some semblance of being a turn based JRPG system, and not the dumb ARPG offshoots that Final Fantasy has become over the last 15 years.
Totally, 100% this. I don't want ARPG bullshit anywhere near my Kiseki games.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
I know people are saying the sales are great in Asia and the west. There is truth in that.

But the fact from the very first interview on the first game in a new arc, which is assuredly written as a 2 or 3 or 4 parter, Kondo had to explicitly state that if the game fails there won't be a sequel, imo that reeks of desperation and trying to scare the Japanese fanbase (where sales keep falling) into buying it new instead of used.

It's not something he would be stating out loud in interviews if the franchise was healthy.

Since it seemed the biggest factor in declining sales of the frachise was Cold Steel dragging out so long and losing players each entry while not gaining new players to take their place, I hope that they'll have written the new arc with that in mind from the start and we're not going to get another four game story arc. If they can just go back to 2 game arcs so they are consistently rebooting with a new cast/location to bring in new fans it should help. Would also help in constraining their scope into a more compact tale.

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
Funny they come with the "won't make any sequels if sales don't meet expectations."

like bruh, shouldn't have dragged out Cold Steel then.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Reading the hate for the masterclass that 7R was in ARPG combat is wild in here. Especially with regard to Kiseki who's combat legit is broken in the sense that the game becomes mindless halfway through each entry. Still love it though and would be fine with either one

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
Just wish Falcom would do a day to day release for the switch. Unfortunately I'm gonna have to wait until NISA ports it to the switch long after the game has already released.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Reading the hate for the masterclass that 7R was in ARPG combat is wild in here. Especially with regard to Kiseki who's combat legit is broken in the sense that the game becomes mindless halfway through each entry. Still love it though and would be fine with either one

Yeah, pretty much.

I love turn-based and enjoy Trails battles, but they haven't made a non-broken battle system in years. I'm fine with them trying a change up. It doesn't sound like it's going to jump to being Ys combat since you can still use commands.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
I know people are saying the sales are great in Asia and the west. There is truth in that.

But the fact from the very first interview on the first game in a new arc, which is assuredly written as a 2 or 3 or 4 parter, Kondo had to explicitly state that if the game fails there won't be a sequel, imo that reeks of desperation and trying to scare the Japanese fanbase (where sales keep falling) into buying it new instead of used.

It's not something he would be stating out loud in interviews if the franchise was healthy.

Since it seemed the biggest factor in declining sales of the frachise was Cold Steel dragging out so long and losing players each entry while not gaining new players to take their place, I hope that they'll have written the new arc with that in mind from the start and we're not going to get another four game story arc. If they can just go back to 2 game arcs so they are consistently rebooting with a new cast/location to bring in new fans it should help. Would also help in constraining their scope into a more compact tale.

At most I feel like they should go for 2 to 3 games for an arc not any more. The Sky Trilogy felt perfect for me. Honestly there are quite a few ways they can keep the series healthy like you mentioned about them not dragging the story. However, another reason for the decline that needs to be factored in is the drop of a portable platform. The switch doesn't count because it isn't a day to day release and the way they are handling it is not gonna help domestic sales. I also don't think adding a PS5 sku is gonna help them either.

Having NISA do the porting is a nice step, but it's really not gonna help with domestic sales.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
The statements from Kondo is really just a reflection of some of the harsher criticism of the Cold Steel series that can be seen in the Japanese community that was around from even when they were planning the release of CS4.

Falcom has been hinting since few years ago that Erebonia taking up 4+1 games was far from ideal, what's with CS4 having an "End of Saga" subtitle and regular references to how they'd like future games to not take up so much. It's worth remembering that from a consumer perspective, CS2 and CS4 use much of the same content from CS1/3 to begin with.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
It's worth remembering that from a consumer perspective, CS2 and CS4 use much of the same content from CS1/3 to begin with.

Well so does Sky SC and Crossbell Pt.2. It's just how they do things.

Each game is at least 2 parts because the 2nd part re-uses the world/locations/characters of the first part. It's a cost-saving measure for Falcom. They get 2 games out of each game of assets.

The oddball is if they do something like Sky 3rd or Hajimari which is smaller scope and only has partial re-use.

That's why the new one should be a 2-parter (and a 3rd/Hajimari after if they want). If they go to 3 games its almost guaranteed it's another 4 part story and I'd think they'd want to avoid that after Erebonia.

Two games, especially 100 hour+ games, is plenty of time to tell a full story.

BabyShams

Nov 7, 2017
What are the odds the Crossbell games get officially released in the US before this finally comes over?

I'd like to play those two before continuing onto Cold Steel 3

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
I think we'll be able to tell when Kuro releases if it's going to be 4 games again. If Calvard map is conveniently split in half and only half is covered in Kuro 1, Kuro 2 will probably re-use that same half and it basically means game 3/4 again. Hopefully Kuro 1 covers the entire map in a way that leaves some locations still to cover in Kuro 2 but isn't easily split in 50/50 like Western/Eastern Erebonia.

Imo it was obvious by CS2 that CS was going to be 4 games because of that.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
So do you guys think the new main character will have a romance subtext with a full sister, half sister, adopted sister, or sister-in-law this time?

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
New main character looks like the motivated by revenge type, so I'm gonna say romance subtext with an older woman, right before he turns to the dark side and kills her emotionally which kills her physically.

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
What are the odds the Crossbell games get officially released in the US before this finally comes over?

I'd like to play those two before continuing onto Cold Steel 3

Same situation here. I have just been dying to start Cold Steel 3, but refuse to touch it until I can play Zero and Ao officially. They're already on PS4 Falcom, just localize them damn it.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Are sales great in the west?

I think they're good but I also think it's questionable how much of that Falcom JPN sees in return even if they do well. I might be mistaken but I think Falcom self-publishes or is partial publisher or something in Asia so they actually see that money whereas they just license out for the west.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Well so does Sky SC and Crossbell Pt.2. It's just how they do things.

Each game is at least 2 parts because the 2nd part re-uses the world/locations/characters of the first part. It's a cost-saving measure for Falcom. They get 2 games out of each game of assets.

Yes, but despite Erebonia being split into West/East - the game doesn't have as strong as a rooting to make the exploration of the different part of the same country reignite the wow factor due to it still being tied to Erebonia/Class 7/etc.