• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

Game will release for $45 USD and preorders will include System Shock 2: Enhanced Edition as well.​

www.kickstarter.com

Update 77: February Update · System Shock

Welcome back Hackers! We’ve got a very special update this month - as you are aware we’re releasing our final demo and opening pre-orders on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store which should be available as you read this. This is a major milestone in our development of System Shock and once...

Welcome back Hackers!

We've got a very special update this month - as you are aware we're releasing our final demo and opening pre-orders on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store which should be available as you read this. This is a major milestone in our development of System Shock and once again we'd like to thank you for your continued patience and support while we diligently create the experience you originally backed all those years ago.

Our development road was bumpy (to say the least) - but ultimately what you're playing is the vision and experience we set out to create and the adversity and challenges we've faced along the way has only improved the final game. The team has evolved and grown considerably and we hope that the end product will meet your expectations. With all that said we are planning on a late Summer 2021 release date.

On to the demo - Let's run through all the updates!

NEW Cyberspace Level! (tame those cyber doggies!)

NEW Crew Audio Logs! (no devs this time!)

NEW SHODAN Audio! (Terri is back!)

NEW Dismemberment! (if Viva Pinata were rated M!)

NEW Proximity Mines! (don't get too close!)

NEW Bugs! (tell us what you find :D)

NEW Enemies! (the repair bot is flamin' hot!)

NEW GenerativeMusic System! (never the same song twice!)

NEW Snack! (make your selection at the Snacktron!)

NEW Save Feature! (what a novelty!)

NEW Notes System! (USB 1.1 support!)

NEW Difficulty Modes! (crank it all the way up to 3!)

NEW Destructibility! (smash that glass!)

NEW DLSS Support! (update your drivers for your RTX card!)

NEW Trailer! (a ton of new reveals!)

NEW Nightdive intro! (who's that lurking in the depths?)

NEW Secrets! (first to post a picture of the special skull to our Twitter wins a prize!)

So check it out and please tell us what you think - we value your feedback and look forward to hearing from you.

-Stephen

That Cortex Reaver is looking real good!

*Update
Console versions (PS4/XB1) are planned to release close to the PC date as well.

Last edited:

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely interested in this as someone who played the Bioshock series, but never played the OG System Shock.

Sweet Blue

Nov 1, 2018
I'm so happy the development is finally coming to an end for Nightdive. The trailer is so quiet and moody, I love it.
Congrats to the dev team for the upcoming release =)

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
Oh fuck a new demo! Here I was thinking I'd just be playing the Outriders demo today.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Then they say new Shodan audio, do they mean a re-recording of all lines? Will every line from the original game be kept?

New as an additional from the original demo, but yes, everything is being re-recorded for the remake with some slight changes to have the narrative better fit together.

www.shacknews.com

A System Shock remake priority was getting SHODAN's original voice on board

In a recent livestream, Nightdive Studios explained the priority of bringing Terri Brosius back as the iconic voice of the villainous SHODAN.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad this still seems to be shaping up after some of the trouble they've had. I won't try this new demo but the previous ones have been pretty great.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
I really hope they remake System Shock 2 as well if this sells great. I know there is an enhanced editon of 2 but i really want a remake like this of it.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Still remember how it looked the game was going to be cancelled. Glad they managed to get everything back on track.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
New as an additional from the original demo, but yes, everything is being re-recorded for the remake with some slight changes to have the narrative better fit together.

www.shacknews.com

A System Shock remake priority was getting SHODAN's original voice on board

In a recent livestream, Nightdive Studios explained the priority of bringing Terri Brosius back as the iconic voice of the villainous SHODAN.

Gratitude, that's very nice. And it seems Night Dive knows exactly what to do.

GlowingBovine

Prophet of Truth
Nov 27, 2017
Hell yes. One of my most anticipated games, I'm glad they managed to revive it. Hope they can finish it alright.

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The demo I played last time, I want to say 2 years ago during the Steam demo event was pretty rough. But I have high hopes, will check it out tonight.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
I have ignored the Kickstarter updates for this for awhile. It never seemed to be coming out. So, glad it's finally happening.

Lube Man

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2021
System Shock is REAL?!!!!

What a (System) Shock!! Definitely thought it would disappear.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I'm waiting until I've played original SS1 to get into this, but based on what I've seen in SS2 and Ultima Underworld this is one of those games where they really don't have to update anything except the graphics in order to make it hold up next to modern games. They said they're making it pretty much 1:1 with the original right (like a Bluepoint remake)?
I really hope they remake System Shock 2 as well if this sells great. I know there is an enhanced editon of 2 but i really want a remake like this of it.
An SS2 remake like this would be one of the greatest games of all time.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
They said they're making it pretty much 1:1 with the original right (like a Bluepoint remake)?

Not exactly (more modern combat for one), but it's following the original pretty closely. There was a point where the remake was going off in a more ambitious direction, but that was reigned in once things started to get out of hand and development took a break and resumed with the strong focus on following the original game.

www.kickstarter.com

Update 40: April Update · System Shock

General Update from Hiatus Hey everyone, it’s Stephen from Nightdive with the latest update. The last few weeks have been challenging, but at the same time it’s been enlightening. As some of you know I’ve been spending more and more time with the community in Discord answering questions and...

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I'm liking it. So many great old games that should be remade for a new generation of gamers. Deus Ex is just one example.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
I played all their demos released since the first one and I'm happy with the state the game is right now, but at the same time I still think some things were better when the game was in development in the Unity engine.. mainly the combat felt better, better hit detection

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
This game dev journey has been crazy.
It went from a wonderful start, to starting to slowly deviate from what they pitched, to full on going bananas in their direction (and losing half the important people in the team), to realizing they were messing it all up and course correcting, to here.

I REALLY hope it works out for them, it would be a shame to feel that all this pain and sacrifice were a "misstep" in the wrong direction and think that is why the game failed.