• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RRW

Oct 26, 2017
from "never going to touch it" to "will watch it on random TV or airplane"

Kudos to CG animator, they should get a huge pay rise

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
I wish they'd done something like Detective Pikachu with this. Sonic and friends, Robotnik and a crazy cast of personified robots(less SatAM Robotnik and more WHHYYYY Robotnik would be better for the tone), maybe a human in his world if you absolutely had to go that route.

The film is probably destined to bomb, but at least we'd get a great Sonic-universe film out of it. This just seems like a Monster Trucks ripoff at best.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Well fuck me, they did it. Sonic looks great, and I appreciate that they listened. Much respect. Looks like it could be a fun family movie.

Oct 25, 2017
It's like an entirely different movie. It must have taken endless crunch time to adhere the new body/facial rig to the old animation, or needing to reanimate parts all together.

They fucking have to sneak in a "nailed it" in every goddamn one of these kids movies though, it's insufferable.
They should have stuck with the original design.
explain

and no, the shittier the better is not a valid answer

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Script seems made for little kids, but Sonic and Robotnick look great.
It's interesting because Sonic himself seems mostly aimed at kids (which makes sense, it's the franchise's primary audience) but the combination of Carrey doing some old-school Carrey shit and being called Robotnik is definitely aimed at an older audience who are more familiar with those things.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Something is off about the compositing of the Sonic Model over the plates, like the colours don't feel like they match the contrast/light of the world around him.

Oct 25, 2017
The movie looks fun.

And maybe that's a dumb question, but when did they go back to calling him Robotnik? I always prefered that name.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And now the exact same amount of people will go watch it and it will still not be very good

Gifmaker

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Can't wait for the home release to see people deepfake the OG design on the entire movie, he he.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
They did it. It does not look like an upcoming nightmare for many kids any longer from watching a kids movie. I actually applaud the filmmakers that they listened to the criticism and reacted.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Japanese key art from Paramount JP

They got rid of the Nikes

EJKvZCgXsAE7ynj.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
His voice doesn't match the new model too well though. Schwartz ironically matched nightmare Sonic better.
Something is off about the compositing of the Sonic Model over the plates, like the colours don't feel like they match the contrast/light of the world around him.
Yeah I noticed that too
It's an entirely new model they're likely still tweaking into the overlay of the old shots. Wouldn't be surprised if they're still a final pass away from being done. These trailer shots were likely the first renders out the door.

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017
Great redesign and actually think the tone and jokes were better this time. Looks actually like a decent kids film I could enjoy somewhat.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
It looks boringly competent now (with some obviously very rushed CGI in a few bits which is not a huge surprise)

I demand some hugely inappropriate music in the next trailer! Smack my Bitch Up or something.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Went from looking hilariously bad to comfortably bland.

Japanese key art

They got rid of the Nike shoes

EJKvZCgXsAE7ynj.jpg

I love how they had to stick with him being "furry, but with bristles" not because the bristles are - you know - a hedgehogy thing to have, but likely because Robotnik interacts with a dropped bristle in the movie :P

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
They messed up, acknowledged their mistake and corrected it. It's worth giving it a shot.

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
They saved it
It still looks super mediocre but at least it won't be a total car crash :P

Zoantharia

Oct 30, 2017
All jokes aside... Give those animators a raise and paid vacation. To turn that around in mere months... must not have been pleasant for them

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting because Sonic himself seems mostly aimed at kids (which makes sense, it's the franchise's primary audience) but the combination of Carrey doing some old-school Carrey shit and being called Robotnik is definitely aimed at an older audience who are more familiar with those things.
Probably for the parents