• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm 100% saying the former as well though. Taika's opening narration, awkward rom-com beats in front of the worst green screening you've ever seen, more completely weightless action scenes, pixelated thor butt gag…just horrendous, bottom of the barrel stuff.
I wouldn't disagree either.....certainly dampens my excitement. Still will plan to see it obviously, but yeah, some concerning signs.

Still need to see Dr Strange 2, think we will see that this coming weekend.

Jamesways

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
I don't know, I guess I'm a simple man, I think Taika's take on Thor is fun.
These movies are funny, creative, and a fun ride. I have a good time watching these.

I look forward to seeing it and once again reading threads after that are filled with why it's the worst movie ever made and everyone who likes it should feel bad. Marvel and SW threads are really something these days.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I thought the black goo was much more malleable than just being a sword. But I only read one series with Gorr.
All-Black is generally a "sword" and its full name is actually All-Black the Necro Sword......but it actually is supposed to be pretty goo-ish and have a bunch of symbiote-esc abilities....similar to how Carnage can make a Mace, a Sword an Axe or whatever....All-Black in theory could change into any weapon form the wielder wanted it to be.....but Sword is basically the default form so to say.

His cowl should have actually been black and made from All-Black.....making it just a random piece of cloth does diminish what All-Black should be capable of.
But who knows we might see All-Black do some cool shit in the actual fights.

Mancha

alt account
Banned
Oct 23, 2021
thor-love-and-thunder-flick.gif

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
Love all of the colour and the visual style of this thing, wow. Looks so damn fun too - can't wait to see this, comes out on my Birthday!

Also Bale looks great imo, dudes gonna crush it.

StreetsAhead

Sep 16, 2020
It feels like there's a lot of stuff in these movies that only gets figured out in post. Like Thor Ragnarok where Hela originally shattered Thor's hammer in some new York alley before they changed it to some cliff side

Originally Thor and Loki find a homeless and crazed Odin in that alleyway, then Hela shows up and kills him. It didn't go over well with test audiences, so they changed the location and gave Odin a more poignant goodbye.

niaobx

Aug 3, 2020
I don't know, I guess I'm a simple man, I think Taika's take on Thor is fun.
These movies are funny, creative, and a fun ride. I have a good time watching these.

I look forward to seeing it and once again reading threads after that are filled with why it's the worst movie ever made and everyone who likes it should feel bad. Marvel and SW threads are really something these days.

Agreed. Why do people need to moan so much? Green screen? The only thing green that I care about is the new She-Hulk show coming up(exclusively on Disney+). Why can't people just enjoy these perfectly crafted movies and shows? I really wish these were a bit more popular, at the moment it's a bit tiring to be a part of a tiny minority that enjoys MCU.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I'm so sick of everyone being an expert critic of in-progress trailer CGI now as if we're not still trying to get through a pandemic that had the entire VFX industry overloaded when it was already in bad shape before 2020

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. Why do people need to moan so much? Green screen? The only thing green that I care about is the new She-Hulk show coming up(exclusively on Disney+). Why can't people just enjoy these perfectly crafted movies and shows? I really wish these were a bit more popular, at the moment it's a bit tiring to be a part of a tiny minority that enjoys MCU.
Look, one day this little company might have enough in them to swing bigger and hit a wider market. Until then, you have to make do, unsavory attacks on your favy properties and all. The sun will shine on Disney/Marvel.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
I really wish Marvel would fix their terrible composing. On the latest Doctor strange it was terrible and here it also looks so fake and how the actors clearly aren't in a real physical space. It's a shame since the CG work is usually good

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so sick of everyone being an expert critic of in-progress trailer CGI now as if we're not still trying to get through a pandemic that had the entire VFX industry overloaded when it was already in bad shape before 2020
I'm criticizing it as someone who can't remember the last Marvel movie I saw that didn't have suspect as hell CG in a lot of spots. I can obviously sympathize with a VFX industry struggling, but how do you explain movies like Dune? The new Avatar looks absolutely bonkers as well. The easier answer seems to be that Marvel doesn't need to care. They have timelines to abide by and the movies do just fine at the BO. It's just a shame.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Just thinking about how it was someone's job to CGI the clothes flying off of Chris Hemsworth and feeling like my job doesn't quite compare

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hope some day movie studios discover that Youtube allows you to upload videos in 4K.
Watching trailers in 1080p is really starting to irk me.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I love how magic and gods and clothes flicking and all is just a generally accepted thing in the MCU at this point :D

Never stop being fun, Feige. Nobody needs "grounded" realistic superheroes.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

What about all the pre-pandemic MCU movies that had all these same issues though? Also, there have been pandemic movies that are CG heavy that look great. So this is a pretty flimsy defense.

The compositing, coloring etc. isn't bad because of COVID. It's bad because of the Marvel Studios pipeline wherein thou shalt push out 4 shows and 3-4 movies a year because reasons (mostly money?).

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, we should wait until the movie is out, like how No Way Home, Eternals and Doctor Strange 2 had oodles better visual effects on release.

Kaelan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I'm criticizing it as someone who can't remember the last Marvel movie I saw that didn't have suspect as hell CG in a lot of spots. I can obviously sympathize with a VFX industry struggling, but how do you explain movies like Dune? The new Avatar looks absolutely bonkers as well. The easier answer seems to be that Marvel doesn't need to care. They have timelines to abide by and the movies do just fine at the BO. It's just a shame.

There was literally a thread on this site last week on the state of VFX studios given the pandemic, this is the norm now with tight timelines and overworked studios. Dune and Avatar are anomaly's which had very long lead times/development

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There was literally a thread on this site last week on the state of VFX studios given the pandemic, this is the norm now with tight timelines and overworked studios. Dune and Avatar are anomaly's which had very long lead times/development

The Batman for example was filmed entirely during the pandemic, uses basically all the same tech, and looks way better without having long lead-times or post-production cycles. We can make all the excuses we like but it basically comes down to this being how Marvel Studios has chosen to produce things. And based on the bottom line, you can't really argue with their method as the ROI is insanely high. But it doesn't mean we as fans shouldn't ask for more.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
This is on Marvel. And when they choose to line up so many movies in a year, they should be lambasted for doing this to the people working in that industry. It doesn't look as good as other examples. There's no way around it.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks inoffensive and fine. Should be a fun watch, and that's the main goal of the movies.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Also this trailer makes me wonder how much the Guardians are gonna be in this. Like they was showed more in the teaser trailer but they barely had any time in this trailer and the new poster doesn't even show them in it. Not a problem either way but just wondering here.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also this trailer makes me wonder how much the Guardians are gonna be in this. Like they was showed more in the teaser trailer but they barely had any time in this trailer and the new poster doesn't even show them in it. Not a problem either way but just wondering here.

I feel like it'll be the first few scenes and then go separate ways, with maybe a sync up at the final battle.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
I'm betting we get a cool opening sequence with them and they'll be gone by the title card

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I expect them to go away within the first 20 minutes of the film. 1 or 2 scenes tops.