• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Are you a fan of isometric/tactics RPGs? Then Wasteland 3 is an essential play. Best game of 2020 for my money.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
Halo
Play Master Chief Collection and then move into Halo 5. ODST/Reach are not vital but definitely worth checking out(I personally hate Reach, but it has a big following)

Fable
I am a MASSIVE Fable fan, but I would probably wait till the reboot hits. All 3 are(I think) on Gamepass. Just play them in order. There's some really cool things in there, but some that are definitely dated.

Gears of War
Play 1-5. Don't bother with Judgement. Make sure you play the Remastered version of 1. Great series of games that hold up really well.

PLAY KILLER INSTINCT!!!! The complete collection is on Gamepass.

Forza
Just play Horizon 4. Wait for the next Motorsport to come out to try that version of Forza. There's no real need to play previous installments. All are really good, but it's Forza. They are racing games. You don't really need to experience them all.

As far as "Indies" go, make sure you play both Ori games, Recore, Sunset Overdrive, Alan Wake, Quantum Break, Battletoads, Crackdown 3, and Hellblade.

Be sure to also play through some of Rare Replay. Perhaps you've experienced some before but some highlights are all 3 Banjos, Kameo, Viva Pinata Trouble in Paradise, and Perfect Dark.

I am sure I am missing some good ones. But be sure not to sleep on Recore. It's often forgotten and passed on, but it's a fun little game. They don't quite make games like it anymore.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Gears: play the remaster of 1 and skip Judgement. The DLC for 5 is included in GPU.

Halo: Play 1-5, skip Reach and definitely play the remake of 2 as its stunning.

Play Ninja Gaiden 2, it has the best combat in the industry.

Last edited:

Gjallarsean

Oct 10, 2018
I haven't seen many mentions of it, so just thought I'd chip in that the first Crackdown also holds up decently as an 'of it's time' relic. Crackdown 3 is also a pretty fun to knock out over a weekend - it's very much the definition of video game junk food - it won't stick with you, but there's enough there to have fun for a dozen hours or so and then move on to other stuff.

Also, all y'all saying to skip Reach...I do not understand you. Reach is a great standalone story to play after finishing the main trilogy. And do not sleep on ODST. It's the most different of the Bungie-made Halo games, but it has a great soundtrack and some memorable set pieces.

guerra08

Nov 12, 2020
Brazil
Must play, in my opinion:
  • All Halo games on MCC
  • Gears 1 - 5, excluding Judgment
  • Forza Horizon 4 (one of the best games of the generation)
  • Ori
  • Alan Wake
I'd suggest browsing through the gamepass library and finding the games that you feel like playing. Also, a replay of GTA IV wouldn't hurt :)

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Must play, in my opinion:
  • All Halo games on MCC
  • Gears 1 - 5, excluding Judgment
  • Forza Horizon 4 (one of the best games of the generation)
  • Ori
  • Alan Wake
I'd suggest browsing through the gamepass library and finding the games that you feel like playing. Also, a replay of GTA IV wouldn't hurt :)
This is it. I would also add the Fable Trilogy and the Rare Collection.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Ori games are some of the best side scrollers ever made. Forza Horizon 4 is the best racing game released in many generations. Halo 5 was just awful imo. I didn't play the PVP, but the single player campaign was just so bad. Gears Hivebusters was great and I'll be playing 4 and 5 next. Crackdown is really stupid, but fun if you're in the mood for that.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Gears, Halo, and Fable are great. I'd play them by order of release. Just be sure to play the remastered version of Gears 1 if it's an option.

It's not a MS ip, but I would encourage playing Jade Empire. It's an oldie Xbox original tittle, but it's a lot of fun.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
didn't realize there were that many people into gears. I fell off the story after 2 and only played multiplayer, but may replay it

FH4 is a game I have through gamepass and then purchased DLC for. DLC well worth it
FH3 is good but 30fps cap, so I find it impossible to go back to. it is a play anywhere title and I think you can still get keys on third party sites, so if you do get it, I advise pc if possible.

Jun 15, 2020
I do not understand the hate for Halo 4 and 5. I just replayed them all. 4 is one of the best. 5 has some issues and can be a slog at times, but it's got some great set pieces, some really fun large battles, beautiful skyboxes and is definitely worth playing. They both reviewed well also, so I'm not sure where the disconnect comes from.
I agree now. I didn't like either when they released, but I replayed the whole series about 6 months ago, 4 and 5 are very good.

Jun 15, 2020
didn't realize there were that many people into gears. I fell off the story after 2 and only played multiplayer, but may replay it
I think it's one of the most underrated series in gaming. Just consistently great action with memorable character and heart.

I think Judgement gets a bad wrap too. Game has some cool idea with its modifiers.

FUNKNOWN iXi

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Viva Piñata: Trouble in Paradise. One of the finest games ever made.
Think someone new to the franchise should jump right into Trouble in Paradise? Been wanting jump in, but wondering which to start with, and if I start with the second, is the first still enjoyable to play after starting with the second? Assuming the second is better, of course.

Not you

Oct 27, 2017
I agree now. I didn't like either when they released, but I replayed the whole series about 6 months ago, 4 and 5 are very good.

It might be because it's not understated like 1-3 are. I don't know.

This is Halo cranked to 11, if you will. It seems like every mission you've got a new cool weapon or vehicle to use and it's awesome. 4 more so than 5 in this, but it's still definitely there in 5. 1-3 are good, but I felt like I could just use the pistol or BR for the whole game and be good. And the game let's you. In 4 and 5, you run out of ammo, and have to pick up whatever the game gives you, and it's just fun to explore the sandbox like that and it forces you to use different tactics and take different approaches. I also appreciate the new traversal mechanics in 4 and especially in 5, and I know that issue is divisive.

Novocaine

Oct 26, 2017
ReCore is worth taking a look at. Same with Crackdown, you can get away with playing just the first or third one.

Jun 15, 2020
Think someone new to the franchise should jump right into Trouble in Paradise? Been wanting jump in, but wondering which to start with, and if I start with the second, is the first still enjoyable to play after starting with the second? Assuming the second is better, of course.
TiP is really more of a 1.5. It has everything from the first, and a few new things. In this era, it probably would have been DLC.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I reccomend Phantom Dust if you want some of the older weirder Xbox titles. It's also free

Nov 24, 2017
User Warned - Thread Whining
Sorry if the title is vague but I got my first ever Xbox (Series S) and I have a few months of Gamepass to redeem so just wanted advice on what to play from their big IP

Gears:
So I think you can opt for 1 or the remaster of 1? Is there a best version to play? Would it be jarring to go from the remaster of 1 and then the normal version of 2?

I then want to play 2 and 3, then what about Judgement? Play or skip?

I'll then go through 4 and 5. Is the DLC for 5 on Gamepass?

Halo:
I actually won the MCC on Era, and when I redeemed it it queued up all 5 games, but apparently ODST and Reach are paid DLC?

Either way, I want to play the campaigns so I assume release order is the best order for these? I also think I'll go with OG graphics for 1 and 2 over the anniversary versions, will I be missing anything by doing this?

Fable:
No idea about Fable at all tbh, are these games on Gamepass, all/any worth playing?

Forza
I will jump right into Horizon 4, but I'm not that interested in the mainline games. How good is the DLC of Horizon 4?

Indies:
I'm playing Ori and will follow up with the 2nd game, but are there any other indies that are either best on Xbox or only on Xbox?

Misc:
I also want to play Sunset Overdrive and Quantum Break, but are there any other Xbox exclusives I should look into?

Thanks in advance

When a adult cant read up on these games, or just try them out... or do a quick google search on what exclusives Xbox has. Whats next..... Whats the best way to sit down while playing games on my xbox.

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
When a adult cant read up on these games, or just try them out... or do a quick google search on what exclusives Xbox has. Whats next..... Whats the best way to sit down while playing games on my xbox.

I am reading up on them, after first asking people by making this thread

Also if trying out 30 games to see if I'd like them is your advice, maybe think things through so you give better advice in future lol

I didn't just ask what exclusives are on Xbox anyway, I asked which ones are worth playing in each series, and I wanted to hear people's opinions

Thankfully most people here replied with useful and informative answers

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
I am reading up on them, after first asking people by making this thread

Also if trying out 30 games to see if I'd like them is your advice, maybe think things through so you give better advice in future lol

I didn't just ask what exclusives are on Xbox anyway, I asked which ones are worth playing in each series, and I wanted to hear people's opinions

Thankfully most people here replied with useful and informative answers
Dont bother responding to people like that. What's the point of being on a gaming forum if you cant talk about games lol.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
All halo games, all gears but only judgement if you find you love gears.
Fable 1-2 are great 3 is playable.
Quantum Break is a great game imo.
ORI both are great.

Super Barrier

Nov 20, 2017
Try the smaller games like Minecraft Dungeons, Bloodstained:Ritual of the Night, Streets is Rage 4, etc. It's why I love Gamepass personally.

Apr 21, 2018
I am new to Xbox too, and with XSX I went on an absolute download spree. So far, Gears 5 and Forza 4 have compelled me the most -- with spurts of Halo MCC and Killer Instinct in the middle. It's also been a joy to revisit a modernized Perfect Dark 64 and Panzer Dragoon Orta.

Ori 2 and RE3make are next in line.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Halo 1 anniversary graphics are bad. Best thing about the original game is the simplicity and visual clarity. Anniversary graphics muck that all up. Too bad it's not OG Xbox graphics but still much better using the old PC graphics imo.
This, use the OG halo graphics unless somehow you REALLY can't play an OG xbox/ps2 era game, yeah it's the pc gearbox port and not as good as the original, but it's still MUCH nicer than the remaster. 2 remastered looks fantastic though.

Halo 1 was legitimately astounding looking alongside metroid prime.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
I do not understand the hate for Halo 4 and 5. I just replayed them all. 4 is one of the best. 5 has some issues and can be a slog at times, but it's got some great set pieces, some really fun large battles, beautiful skyboxes and is definitely worth playing. They both reviewed well also, so I'm not sure where the disconnect comes from.

I count Halo among a select group of franchises where almost every title in the franchise has very devout detractors and every title has very devout worshippers. So for any given thread asking "what did you think of *insert Halo game?*" there will be a solid number of people saying it was the best one or the worst one.

(Another example imo is console Zelda releases)