• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hey everyone,

Im excited to play this game on launch day but at the same time im already feeling anxious. The only other games in this style I have played is bloodborne ( plat ) and dark souls 3 on ps4. While I obviously did enjoy them I did find them stressful from start to finish.

I want to make this as fun as possible. I don't want to overly challenge myself needlessly with a crippled build. So, you experts out there what tips do you have for new players like myself when starting out and creating a character.....and general tips going forward? Also, can anything be missed in the game? Or should I somewhat spoil myself in order to prevent missing key areas and items? Thanks.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
tenor.gif

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
I went looking for this type of info when I got the original game on PS+ in 2013 and was worried I wouldn't finish it.

I ended up using a Archery focused build which let me cheese some bosses and areas.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly stress is the game. There are missble storylines, sometimes your build will not be ideal for a boss.

If I were you I'd go for a well-rounded build. As mentioned magic is basically easy mode, but it's almost like an entirely different game. Play how you want to play, but IMO swords offer the fullest experience of the game. If you finish the game without feeling any dread or confusion then I'd say you've missed out on one of the best parts of the experience.

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
México
Why is magic the way to go? This will be ny very first game in this genre and i really want to play it to completion

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Use a magic build. Or start as a knight if you want to melee. Or a mix of both.
Coop with people. This will be full of invaders (can't wait haha)
Try to dupe souls and make an overleveled character.
Demons is the easiest souls game. If you got the Bloodborne play you shouldn't have any major problem.

InfiniDragon

Oct 25, 2017
As others have said, playing a magic build is key for an easier time as magic is really strong in Demon's.

Also, unless you enjoy PvP in games play either in Soul Form (the reduced HP form) by dying in the Nexus (the hub area) before going into zones or playing offline. As you're probably aware but just in case, Souls games have a mechanic called "invasion" where another player can force PvP on you by entering your game when not in the Nexus and in Body Form (full HP after killing a boss or using a specific item).

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Perhaps the biggest difference variable affecting the difficulty of the game is the order in which you tackle each area. Some areas are harder than others, and yet you can travel to any of these after a short while into the game. You can make things too difficult for yourself early on, by tackling some of tougher challenges. For instance a lot of players make the 'mistake' of going to the second area very early, but if you instead go to the fourth and third, , you'll find these areas are easier and better equip you to tackle the challenges in the second area.

Here's a recommended arch stone order.

1-1
1-2
4-1 (good for getting a lot of Souls and levelling up quickly)
3-1 (for some decent armour)
2 (all of it)
4 (the rest of it)
3 (the rest of it)
5 (all of it)
1 (the rest of it)

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
Play as royal and spam soul arrow or whatever it was called, that alone can carry you through NG and NG+, it stars getting weak on ++, it won't be as fun but it will get the job done.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I needed something like this too OP. I'm excited to play but I often drops Souls games after a while.

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
Noob question but why is Demon's Souls the easiest? If that's the consensus anyway. I've beat all the soulsborne games (and Sekiro) except the original DeS (never owned a PS3) but the prospect of not having bonfire-equivalents (archstones?) except at the start of an area and after every boss is stressing me out just thinking about it

That said I'm obviously going to play this anyway, I'm just prepared for a rough ride

(edited for poor phrasing)

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2020
Not only is magic OP, so is any kind of ranged weapon. Ranged attacks can trivialize half the boss fights, at least in the original.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone,

Im excited to play this game on launch day but at the same time im already feeling anxious. The only other games in this style I have played is bloodborne ( plat ) and dark souls 3 on ps4. While I obviously did enjoy them I did find them stressful from start to finish.

I want to make this as fun as possible. I don't want to overly challenge myself needlessly with a crippled build. So, you experts out there what tips do you have for new players like myself when starting out and creating a character.....and general tips going forward? Also, can anything be missed in the game? Or should I somewhat spoil myself in order to prevent missing key areas and items? Thanks.

I attempted the game twice - the first time it didn't take and I quit the game in frustration after the first boss due to not really understanding how levelling *up* caused me to deal *less* damage (I *now* know that that's a combination of a World Tendency thing and the fact that you deal less damage in body form, but that wasn't clear then - and I don't know if we know whether World Tendency is coming back in the same form?)

After taking some advice, several years later I came back to the game and it clicked; here's the stuff that worked for me:

* This you'll get conflicting opinions of, but it worked for me: When picking class, go Royal. You start from level 1 so you can start shaping your character from the off, and you start with two very useful things - a ring that regenerates mana, and a single spell that's a very effective ranged attack.
* HOWEVER, I'd also caution a corollary to that: Don't fall into the trap of relying on those. Quite early on I tried to engage with the melee combat in a conventional sense and tried to limit the ring/spell combo as an emergency measure only. I think that helped a lot - it gave me opportunities to escape and regroup from difficult situations if I had to while still letting me learn the essentials of combat.
* Be careful with your armour loadout. If you wear too much armour, you'll dodge much slower (and 'too much' is much less than the maximum amount you can actually wear - I *think* the 'fast dodge' is half your armour weight limit?)
* You're going to lose souls. It's not the end of the world. Even tens of thousands.
* Some souls are instead objects which only add to your souls tally when you use them; you will not lose these when you die. Do note that some such souls are also used in crafting high-end items, so don't use them willy-nilly.
* Don't feel you *have* to go from 1-1 into 1-2. Hop around. I *think* my progression in the end was 1-1, a *little* exploration into 1-2 (see below!), then 4-1 but not tackling the boss, then 3-1 to get my second boss kill.
* Find a weapon that works for you. For me this was the spear+shield combo, since turtling and playing at a slow pace really worked for me, and upgrading it along a specific path made it a very effective weapon.
* Note that you can use a two-handed stance for any weapon, it'll deal more damage at the cost of speed.

There's lots that can be missed, and indeed some things you'll do in a playthrough will lock off other avenues (and vice versa), but the game is very replayable with a robust NG+, so you can explore different approaches. I went through with a guide, and I don't regret doing that (that's in part how I *found* that spear that suited me, for one thing - and I would have been *very* inconvenienced if I'd gone down one specific path due to how I usually play RPGs, so the guide helped me avoid that.), but there's a lot to potentially explore if you so wish.

Edit: And I'd missed that you were already a Dark Souls alumni? Nah, you'll be fine.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Magic.

There's always a build to cheese From games.

This doesn't mean that you won't die and it will be a frustration free run.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Perhaps the biggest difference variable affecting the difficulty of the game is the order in which you tackle each area. Some areas are harder than others, and yet you can travel to any of these after a short while into the game. You can make things too difficult for yourself early on, by tackling some of tougher challenges. For instance a lot of players make the 'mistake' of going to the second area very early, but if you instead go to the fourth and third, , you'll find these areas are easier and better equip you to tackle the challenges in the second area.

Here's a recommended arch stone order.

1-1
1-2
4-1 (good for getting a lot of Souls and levelling up quickly)
3-1 (for some decent armour)
2 (all of it)
4 (the rest of it)
3 (the rest of it)
5 (all of it)
1 (the rest of it)
Damn that's a weird order. I usually do
1-1
1-2
2 all for that fire long sword
5 all because everything is weak to fire.
The rest doesn't matter.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Funny I had no idea this was a hardcore RPG with stats and a character creator until the State of Play. I assumed it was an action RPG and everyone played as the same knight dude in plate armor. The only Souls I've played is Bloodborne and I got stuck at the Blood Starved Beast but coming from a CRPG and D&D background the Demon's Souls aesthetic looks much more familiar and inviting.

I want the most traditional sword + shield approach for a first playthrough so I'll probably go with knight. Really excited to jump in this week!

Fredo

Oct 30, 2017
What class is used in the first and second official gameplay videos? It looks like the player is using a bit of magic but not heavily relying on it.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to break away from all the peeps recommending magic because to no honest it trivializes much of the game and takes the fun out of it.

instead I would recommend a STR/Faith build as blessed weapons are AWESOME and have the added perk of healing you over time while they are equipped. Miracles aren't super op but they do have a lot of utility which makes you more flexible than a straight strength build. And while miracles and blessed weapons do help a lot you'd still be fighting bosses as theyare meant to be just with an advantage

plus faith build allows you to use the moonlight great sword and it kicks ass

TLDR:blessed miridian hammer FTW

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
PSA: If you've never played a Souls game before, classes just determine your starting gear, level, and stats. If you invest in the right stats, you can wield any weapon you choose and cast different spells and/or miracles. Don't think you're locked into being a Knight if you choose that starting class. It is a nice, well rounded class for beginners, though.

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
I'm new too, think I'll go knight then level up a bit of magic or faith.

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
as I recall in the original your "mana" (or whatever its called) regenerates so it would be boring, but you COULD just wait somewhere safe to get your spells back whereas later games made magic a finite resource.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I too am playing this for the first time. Sekiro is my only souls game experience. I want to play a knight like character but I see that magic is OP. I hope there is a balance possible in that. I want to use a sword and shield or a two handed sword but I don't want to be at a disadvantage.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Assuming they didn't change things up, pick the Royal Class and abuse soul arrow. And do the Stockpile Thomas item dupe glitch (they'll probably patch this out).

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
He'll I am Souls veteran and I might still go the Royal route on my first playthrough, DEX/INT builds are definitely my favorite build type in Souls games.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I would suggest dimming the lights, pouring yourself a glass of red wine, do 5 or maybe 6 lines of Columbian bath salts, and drop two tabs of military-grade LSD. Should keep you nice and focused. 👍🏽

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
  1. Magic is really powerful in this game (Royal class).
  2. 60fps should make the game more manageable.
  3. The PS5 built-in Help functionality (180 videos for Demon's Souls).
  4. Multiplayer has increased from 4 to 6 players. Co-op against bosses should be easier than ever.
  5. Realize that the gossiped difficulty to Souls is mostly a mental barrier prior to jumping in, it isn't really that hard. Just be patient with attack/defense, you don't need to be great at finger dexterity.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
Don't forget it's a multiplayering game and if you're stuck you should be summoning people in to help

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
If you platinumed Bloodborne you'll find it easy, I wouldn't suggest running straight to magic because it could make the game a bit too stress free for you.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
lol, demon's souls is so much easier than Bloodborne. Stop psyching yourself out.