• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
So "Shin Godzilla" just means "new" Godzilla?
Shin Godzilla did the same thing as this movie, no kanji, so it can have any of the meanings.

www.crunchyroll.com

Toho Opens Official Website for 2016 "Shin Godzilla" Film

Toho today opens the official website for the upcoming new Godzilla film scheduled for Summer of 2016, announcing its official title Shin Godzilla and three main cast. It will be the first Japanese Go
The new film is co-directed by Hideaki Anno (Evangellion) as chief director and Shinji Higuchi (Heisei Gamera series, Attack on Titan) as director. Anno provides the screenplay and Higuchi also serves as special effects director. According to the executive producer Akihiro Yamaguchi, the "Shin" is named by Anno, and can stand for "新 (new)," "真 (true)," or "神 (god)."

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Thanks

So "Shin Godzilla" just means "new" Godzilla?

iirc the connotation is more like "Divine" or "reborn" in that one's case, considering it's kind of a remake not in the same continuity as the old movies and it's more of a force of nature come to test mankind.

I dunno what to think of this, Ultraman is inherently goofier than Godzilla so I'm expecting this to flop and kill off any hope of an Anno-crafted Shin universe.

May 24, 2019
Ultraman is inherently goofier than Godzilla

Qoh8VwG.gif

5vB09Q0.gif

etc

Do you mean flop for Western audiences? They're not the primary concern. I assume Ultraman nostalgia is still big in Japan.

Last edited:

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Do you mean flop for Western audiences? They're not the primary concern. I assume Ultraman nostalgia is still big in Japan.

Ultraman has never done well in theaters though. So, it should be interesting to see whether this can significantly break through Ultraman's previous numbers.

The previous most successful Ultraman movie (The Superior Ultra Eight Brothers, which united protagonists from various series) only reached ¥800,000,000 in the box office. That's lower than Final Wars, the movie that killed Japanese Godzilla movies for years. And it's by far the best performing Ultraman movie.

Kalnet

Oct 25, 2017
Hell yeah Ultraman! Would love to see my childhood hero brought to the modern big screen

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
We gonna get Decisive Battle again!?

EDIT: Shiro Sagisu is once again composing...so maybe!

Last edited:

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
isn't the US run of Super Human Samurai an Ultraman. Which verse is that from? jumping into motherboards was rad.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
isn't the US run of Super Human Samurai an Ultraman. Which verse is that from? jumping into motherboards was rad.
Superhuman samurai syber Squad? nah thats something called Gridman (which had a recent anime adaptation) and its not "ultraman" .... officially he's not an ultraman, but people had jokes about it being a blatant clone/ripoff. Fun Fact, the english adaptation was the closest of the shows we had in the 90s to the source material.
3ED5BDA573928171D4D12CC0445D098FB9CC8C51

Last edited:

ash32121

Oct 27, 2017
The original was a pacifist movie.

The movie that spends 90 minutes griping about the restrictions put on it during WWII?
That's an interesting read into the film, and I say that with no sarcasm. The movie, to me, shows how much bureaucracy bake into the Japanese government that they didn't respond either fast enough or decisive enough to deal with a threat they facing, show by the number of time suits start the hospital walking every time the government decides to do something, they also have to pick a new location for every time the situation escalates, and the contrast between Godzilla outside destroying the city and the scene of press conference.

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
Didn't expect it to be THAT much like Shin G. lol

I hope the rest of the theme song will be in the movie, preferably the original.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I am willing to die on the "Hideaki Anno is much better with live action projects than Evangelion" hill any day.

Deleted member 82064

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Doesn't look to good tbh. Loved Shin Godzilla but this does very little to me. But I'll watch anything with Masami Nagasawa so bring it on.

Finaika

Dec 11, 2017
Why do these big monsters movie focus 90% on boring humans and just 10% on the actual monsters?

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
shin godzilla was really good
the monster's cg looked much worse here though, hype kinda deflated
will probably still watch though

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
Interestingly both monsters shown here (Neronga and Gabora) used the body of Toho's Baragon suit in the original show.
Maybe Shin Godzilla gets a cameo with an added neck-frill as Jirass. lol

May 24, 2019
Waiting for the English version..

If you want to know what the Japanese says, according to Google Translate

Title #1 - Special News
Folder - Giant Humanoid - Ultraman (tentative name) Investigation Report
Title #2 - Screenplay: Hideaki Anno
Title #3 - Director: Shinji Higuchi
Title #4 - Shin-Ultraman: Fancy Special Effect Movie
Title #5 - Early Summer 2021

I'm guessing they didn't intend for that to be translated as 'fancy', but I like it.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
If you want to know what the Japanese says, according to Google Translate

Title #1 - Special News
Folder - Giant Humanoid - Ultraman (tentative name) Investigation Report
Title #2 - Screenplay: Hideaki Anno
Title #3 - Director: Shinji Higuchi
Title #4 - Shin-Ultraman: Fancy Special Effect Movie
Title #5 - Early Summer 2021

I'm guessing they didn't intend for that to be translated as 'fancy', but I like it.
That was a little joke by me. :D
There were comments like this under the German version of the Shin Godzilla trailer, which also didn't have any spoken words in it.

But Thx anyways. :)

"Fancy special effects movie" sounds cool.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
I really want to see this. This reminds me I need to watch Ultraman as well since i've not seen it yet.

Deleted member 15227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I must be the only one that thinks Shin Godzilla was incredibly dull, so I'm pretty reserved about this upcoming movie.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if they can come up with a scene as amazing as the atomic breath in Shin Godzilla

In some ways, that's the point. They're modern revivals using original special effects techniques.

Shin Godzilla had him taking down a bunch of toy cars and helicopters.
It ended up looking surprisingly good considering they did it with a budget of 15 million which is a fraction of what the hollywood movies need.