• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017

Directed by Shinji Higuchi and written and produced by Hideaki Anno

YouTube link

Last edited:

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yo this looks incredible and after Shin Godzilla Anno has my money. I wonder what route he's going with this film as Shin Godzilla was as much a overt criticism of the Japanese government as it was a monster movie. I'm not expecting anything so straight forward as the American monsterverse films but not sure what angle Anno will lean into with this film.

chronos4590

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Looks interesting so far, and yes it looks very similar to Shin Godzilla

Again please watch Shin Godzilla everyone

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna be lit. Love the idea of not reimagining the kaiju with realistic CG, and instead making them look like CG suits. All I want from this movie now is Baltan.

Jakten

Oct 25, 2017
Devil World, Toronto
Now that's a kaiju! None of this modern "My imagination stops at the animals I've seen at the zoo" reworking bullshit.

Strange Beast. STRANGE. And they made them even weirder than they originally looked. I love it!

Oct 27, 2017
I'm ALL IN on Anno's live action reskins of Evangelion

But please, no more english speaking Japanese characters. My ears can't handle it

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm fairly certain Anno has said Shin Godzilla is its own sister
It is a Toho co-production, so it's actually possible. I don't think they'll take that route though.

I believe Anno said Shin Godzilla was its own thing and he wouldn't be making any sequels or anything... then again its Anno so who knows.

chatsquared

Nov 19, 2020
Anno finally gets to make the Ultraman film he's always dreamed of. I wish I could be a little more skeptical and keep my expectations reasonable but I've got total confidence in him to make something spectacular.

Again please watch Shin Godzilla everyone
This. Really, it's absolutely worth your time if you haven't.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
I'm pretty excited for this, but the CG looks super dodgy. Shin Godzilla's CG wasn't the best either, but it was mostly limited to his baby forms so it wasn't too distracting. I wish they'd just used rubber suits for all of it.

Oct 30, 2017
My son already let me know abiut this one. Dude is a hardcore ultra fan.
Looks like Neronga and Kemura. Surprised no Bemular since he was the first kaiju to fight.

ash32121

Oct 27, 2017
Either Baltan or Zetton have to be in this right?

The CGI is kinda low budget but hell, I'll take it.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Is Anno doing any more directing these days? I'm sure he's got his hands full between this and Rebuild, but I'd love to see him direct more live action stuff.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty excited for this, but the CG looks super dodgy. Shin Godzilla's CG wasn't the best either, but it was mostly limited to his baby forms so it wasn't too distracting. I wish they'd just used rubber suits for all of it.

I believe that "look" with the CGI is intentionally. Its sort of their take on man in suit from the older movies in that its not supposed to be going for full on realism.

Is Anno doing any more directing these days? I'm sure he's got his hands full between this and Rebuild, but I'd love to see him direct more live action stuff.

Give Anno an MCU movie!

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
If it is a true "Shin" roku movie, ultraman has to transform through body horror

Oct 30, 2017
I'll take rubber suits and miniature work any day of the week!
That said, the bigger budget epsidoes of the modern shows do tend to look pretty cool- those episodes tend to have much flashier attacks and pyrotechnics galore.

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hoping we get one of those "what's that on godzilla's tail? Oh. Hm." moments in this movie too.

Loved Shin, the cg looks deliciously bad, but that would never stop me from watching this. Curious if we'll get more music almost lifted from Eva.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
87tzJks.jpg

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Looks awesome but slightly less hyped knowing that Anno isn't directing, only producing and writing. Didn't particularly care for this director's AoT adaptations

Last edited:

Slackerchan

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Holy hell, Higuchi and Anno are at it again. Maybe with a little luck we could see this as the start of a Shin cinematic universe.

Just saying, I wanna see Shin Ghidorah, whatever nightmare that would look like.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Holy hell, Higuchi and Anno are at it again. Maybe with a little luck we could see this as the start of a Shin cinematic universe.

Just saying, I wanna see Shin Ghidorah, whatever nightmare that would look like.
Personally would prefer Shin Rodan. The first half with Anno-ized insects would be pure horror; local miners versus corporate bureaucracy would fit his approach so well

Last edited:

awilliams213

Oct 27, 2017
CT
Very happy Anno got to fulfill his loop. Interested to see if Shiro Sagisu is going to do the soundtrack they pair so well together. Shin Godzilla and the Eva movie soundtracks are constantly in my late night drawing playlist.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
As someone who never grew up with Ultraman and after watched Ultraman 3D animation series on Netflix, I have to say that that OG design's face reminds me of the derpy Polite Cat.

Technically, Superhuman Samurai Syber-Squad was part of my childhood which, IIRC was derived from Ultraman.

May 24, 2019

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Ultraman looked a little unsettling there and it intrigues me. Never consumed anything Ultraman tbh.
He's basically a predecessor to stuff like Power Rangers though usually played more straight.

On a production level it's true, but the whole story set up is fairly different (or at least was for the older shows). In the classic Ultraman story, there isn't some kind of evil empire sending random monsters every week.

Each episode is basically a standalone sci-fi or fantasy story, with the only connections between them being that a special organization investigates the incident and that eventually leads to some kind of giant monster which can't be taken down even by their special tech, leading to Ultraman's appearance (who is generally secretly one of the team members) to resolve the story. Due to that they often could go heavy on themes, like humanity disturbing nature and creating their own problems or intolerance leading to conflict. That said, it was a weekly show, so some of the plots could be goofy (even disregarding the goofyness from the practical effects). Based on what Anno has talked about though, he seemed to enjoy more the otherworldly aspects of the Ultras so this certainly will take the material seriously.

Last edited: