• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I said the scale is impressive did I not?

But once again when it was first shown it looked like nothing could touch it when it came to visuals. Now we have had games that looks better than it for quite some time when it comes to graphical quality and like I said with a next generation of games probably launching before this what once was viewed as game pushing graphics to the max instead will look dated and old by actual release.

And this is not SC the mmo btw this is supposed to be the single player experience so you won't have your friends fist fighting or launching of the ship to make up for the way it aged.
Well yea I know. I'm just pointing out you really can't directly compare them to games that don't have to carry anywhere near the technical weight. It's like saying well that guy wearing the 100lb backpacks 7 minute mile isn't that impressive when you have the guy over there in aerodynamic clothing and no backpack doing a 5.

It's being developed in tandom with the MP component so by that merit it's of course going to have some restrictions. I don't just mean scale In a traditional sense though. I mean maintaining performance with all the working components and functions is of course going to mean it's not going to be pushing the envelope so much that nothing will come close for years. There's multiple levels of depth and "scale" here that of course just by it's nature means compromise. I think the game will scale quite well with hardware improvements as we go forward too though. Resolution bumps alone make for quite large improvements in a game like this. And since they have PBR at work it's not impossible in future iterations (probably after release) well see improvements in shaders and stuff that are the real big leaps. Like raytracing etc. Just not on the cards, and shouldn't be, right now.

Last edited:

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
So you can't buy them with in game currency or something? 🤔
You can. Right now you can buy and rent ships inside the game. Some dude spent 1-2 hours every day for two weeks mining and was able to farm enough to buy a medium-sized ship (valued at $100-200). Numbers could change in the future, but mroe or less it should be more or less like that.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN

Misread your question like fucking pro, my bad. Understood it as "Are ships just thousands...."

Everything should be earnable in-game for in-game currency etc. too, it can be just massive grind.

afaik

Galava, isn't "Rent anything" just for beta to get people try and use ships and find bugs? At least how I have understood it from some streamers.

CannonBallBob

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this game essentially a pay to win game that everyone hates? I don't understand the cult of personality around this game.

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
You can. Right now you can buy and rent ships inside the game.
Misread your question like fucking pro, my bad. Understood it as "Are ships just thousands...."

Everything should be earnable in-game for in-game currency etc., it can be just massive grind.

afaik
Well that's better I suppose. Don't know that I could justify spending hundreds (and especially not thousands) on digital space ships. Though a massive grind doesnt sound great it's nice that there's an alternative.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017

Everything should be earnable in-game for in-game currency etc. too, it can be just massive grind.

afaik

Galava, isn't "Rent anything" just for beta to get people try and use ships and find bugs? At least how I have understood it from some streamers.

afaik renting is there to stay. So you can try ships before buying them or renting them for a long time. If after renting it you decide to buy it because you love it, they amount you spent renting it gets deducted from the full price (ingame Credits, not RL $) Don't know if this last feature is ingame right now, but they stated that's the plan.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Looks really nice.

I wonder if next gen consoles will ever see this game in any form.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
I backed the original project, but I regret it. I didn't put in enough money to care about getting a refund or anything though so at this point I'm just mostly ignoring the game and if it comes out I'll play it, if not I'll accept the lesson lol

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
I said the scale is impressive did I not?

But once again when it was first shown it looked like nothing could touch it when it came to visuals. Now we have had games that looks better than it for quite some time when it comes to graphical quality and like I said with a next generation of games probably launching before this what once was viewed as game pushing graphics to the max instead will look dated and old by actual release.

And this is not SC the mmo btw this is supposed to be the single player experience so you won't have your friends fist fighting or launching of the ship to make up for the way it aged.
Every SC thread we have this exact sentiment repeated "Oh when next gen arrives it will look dated!" The game itself continues to improve and look better and better and demands more and more as more systems come online. What it looks like right now isn't locked, it will look better 6 months from now, and even more so a few years from now when the game takes advantage of new hardware, as has been the case throughout it's entire development.

OP
OP
Naga

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Looks really nice.

I wonder if next gen consoles will ever see this game in any form.
From what was implied, the main issues for consoles was:
- shitty CPU
- lack of SSD
- low ram
- some gpu features

All of which are being resolved next gen.
I can see them trying to make a console version of at least some multiplayer modes or the singleplayer later on tbh (I can't see the MMO part ever being ported though).

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I backed the original project, but I regret it. I didn't put in enough money to care about getting a refund or anything though so at this point I'm just mostly ignoring the game and if it comes out I'll play it, if not I'll accept the lesson lol
Fair enough :D
Are you from the US? I read lots of cases from people in EU countries getting refunds due to EU law (because the game is not yet released you can ask for a refund because the product hasn't been delivered yet)

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I guess backers would find this more interesting than someone like me, because that video was boring to watch.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
Fair enough :D
Are you from the US? I read lots of cases from people in EU countries getting refunds due to EU law (because the game is not yet released you can ask for a refund because the product hasn't been delivered yet)

Canada, so I have no idea how it would work out for me haha. I remember hearing that they were putting out refunds a while back but that they were sort of a pain to go through and I figure, eh, at this point I deserve it for backing it lol I know less about the game right now than a lot of people who haven't backed it I reckon. Tbh No Man's Sky in its current state already gives me what I wanted to get out of Star Citizen anyway and it doesn't have the funding system that makes me feel uncomfortable (I know way too many people who spend way too much money that they honestly shouldn't on ships. Funding model based on whales makes me feel...ehhhhh).

Overall I figure I'll take the $60ish(don't remember the exact amount anymore lol) dollar loss and chalk it up to a lesson, but if it ever comes out I guess I'll play it?

Dec 8, 2018
Every SC thread we have this exact sentiment repeated "Oh when next gen arrives it will look dated!" The game itself continues to improve and look better and better and demands more and more as more systems come online. What it looks like right now isn't locked, it will look better 6 months from now, and even more so a few years from now when the game takes advantage of new hardware, as has been the case throughout it's entire development.

Except what was once basically the graphic "king" when it came to anything graphic (environment, npc, etc) is today looking more and more mediocre and nothing spectacular like it once did.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Their new planet tech wants a word with you.
Haven't you heard? Only prestige AAA titles from big name studios that people are hyped for on Era get polished up until launch, as they can change and improve drastically even if they are in "beta" and only 1 month away. Everything else remains the same as they were shown originally and will get dated by the time they come out doesn't matter if some of them were in actual beta when shown.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Except what was once basically the graphic "king" when it came to anything graphic (environment, npc, etc) is today looking more and more mediocre and nothing spectacular like it once did.
Reading comprehension much? Might wanna reread my post there as I've addressed exactly what you've chosen to respond with. The game today looks far better than it did a year ago, vastly better than it did 2-3 years before that, it's appearance isn't locked, it will continue to improve more and more into next gen and beyond.

The visual jump of planets from just 3.7 to 3.8 alone was a drastic change for the better, and it went live this week. What better example for how the game's visuals are constantly being improved in massive ways.

Again, for emphasis since my first post went right over your head, and this one might as well, your mistake is thinking that the games visuals are static and unchanging, they simply aren't, it's demonstrably false.

Dec 8, 2018
Reading comprehension much? Might wanna reread my post there as I've addressed exactly what you've chosen to respond with. The game today looks far better than it did a year ago, vastly better than it did 2-3 years before that, it's appearance isn't locked, it will continue to improve more and more into next gen and beyond.

The visual jump of planets from just 3.7 to 3.8 alone was a drastic change for the better, and it went live this week. What better example for how the game's visuals are constantly being improved in massive ways.

Again, for emphasis since my first post went right over your head, and this one might as well, your mistake is thinking that the games visuals are static and unchanging, they simply aren't, it's demonstrably false.

And nothing in that video is what anyone would consider a new benchmark in anything when it comes to graphics (once again outside of scale) which is what the first showings of the game were and why I said "king".
We have games that look significantly better than SC right now that was not the case earlier was it?

And while they are updating the game and improving on it they are not keeping up and what they showed used to impress now it's not even catching up to what have been on the market for quite some time.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
And nothing in that video is what anyone would consider a new benchmark in anything when it comes to graphics (once again outside of scale) which is what the first showings of the game were and why I said "king".
We have games that look significantly better than SC right now that was not the case earlier was it?

And while they are updating the game and improving on it they are not keeping up and what they showed used to impress now it's not even catching up to what have been on the market for quite some time.
I mean, that's your warped perspective. No one can tell you what you should or should not be impressed with.

However, your perspective has little basis with what they're actually achieving.

If I might diagnose your ailment, is that you're suffering from rose tinted glasses over what they showed in the past. It's a fairly common ailment, and it affects all of us, even if not as severely as your case.

Last edited:

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
The planet tech itself shown in the video is a massive benchmark, show me a single other game capable of seamlessly transitioning from a planet scale lod, down to landing on a canyon which was merely a few pixels wide a moments before. You can't be making such bold claims about the longevity of the games tech while proudly professing your ignorance of it.

Dec 8, 2018
I mean, that's your warped perspective. No one can tell you what you should or should not be impressed with.

However, your perspective has little basis with what they're actually achieving.

Yes off course this is my opinion but feel free to prove me wrong I am open for changing my mind.

However.

Red dead 2 for instance have better environments than this game right and have been on the market for quite some time? Senua looks far better than any "in engine" trailers from SC. Ms Flight simulator and it's cities tech looks far more impressive and especially varied than the planet tech in SC.

These are just some examples of different ways this game is getting more and more dated.

A few years ago basically SC was the once again "king" in the all of the above now it's IMO certainly not.

Dec 8, 2018
The planet tech itself shown in the video is a massive benchmark, show me a single other game capable of seamlessly transitioning from a planet scale lod, down to landing on a canyon which was merely a few pixels wide a moments before. You can't be making such bold claims about the longevity of the games tech while proudly professing your ignorance of it.

I have said multiple times that the scale still is impressive!!!! Reading comprehension much?

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Yes off course this is my opinion but feel free to prove me wrong I am open for changing my mind.

However.

Red dead 2 for instance have better environments than this game right and have been on the market for quite some time? Senua looks far better than any "in engine" trailers from SC. Ms Flight simulator and it's cities tech looks far more impressive and especially varied than the planet tech in SC.

These are just some examples of different ways this game is getting more and more dated.

A few years ago basically SC was the once again "king" in the all of the above now it's IMO certainly not.
It really depends on what someone understands as "king". For me, Control is really one of 2019's "kings" due to RTX and the carefulyl crafted rooms and environments. On the other hand, SC is also another "king" in scale-technology and being technologically impressive, having quite the detail in the meter-scale and beautiful large-scale environments (a whole damn solar system).

RDR2 could be another one of those, very realistic looking environments that have been perfectly optimized to make the map absolutely gorgeous.

As you say, SC won't have environments that can rival with the craft and detail of next-gen open-world games, but it is surely quite the achievement.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
Red dead 2 has a playable space of 29 sq miles.That is tiny.

Senua is *one* character, and if the next game is anything like the first, then it will be the only human character in the game. You're comparing it against an ensemble cast of 100+ named characters.

In flight simulator you never get out of your plane. Have you seen how objects look up close in flight sim?

I think your expectations are completely out of whack. One cannot expect superiority in every single aspect the game. Especially given that all your examples demonstrate different areas of specialization.

Last edited:

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any idea on the target year they'll be releasing this? They should probably drop this next gen because while this looks really good now, it not be so much next gen.

Ravio-li

Dec 24, 2018
Hmm, I hoped for some gameplay. Isn't there another holiday stream that focuses on Squadron?
They have more than enough of these in-engine cinematics in their ship commercials. But sure, just a teaser. Kinda curious what they will show next.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Any idea on the target year they'll be releasing this? They should probably drop this next gen because while this looks really good now, it not be so much next gen.
This is what they have scheduled right now (or at least what we know)
  • SQ42 Beta lasting 2-3 months starting summer 2020.
  • Full release a bit after that.
But in reality I would not be surprised if they delay it a quarter (they haven't been very talkative regarding the campaign lately...).

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
Just FYI guys, if you want to continue debate with Rumpestump look up his history with Star Citizen threads. He read what you are saying multiple times in the past.
Debating the same arguments and answering the same question through multiple past SC threads is a reason why he landed on my ignore list.

Last edited:

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
I have said multiple times that the scale still is impressive!!!! Reading comprehension much?
'The scale' in question has been in place for over 3 years at this point and is irrelevant to what I was saying, I was speaking about the new 3.8 lod transition tech, show me a game engine capable of lod transitions that various, pixel accurate and seamless. Even amongst similar games, there's nothing really close. Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 might be the only competitor, and we still don't know how well it holds up when you're extremely close to the ground.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Just FYI guys, if you want to continue debate with Rumpestump look up his history with Star Citizen threads. He read what you are saying multiple times at past.
Debating the same arguments and answering the same question through multiple SC threads in the past is a reason why he landed on my ignore list.

I see what you mean now, his post history paints a pretty massive bias doesn't it? Almost exclusively posts in next gen xbox and playstation threads and then shows up to SC threads with a "Next gen's gonna blow this away!" Welp, case closed.

Actually, we do. And it is as you'd expect.

However, that isn't what ms *flight sim* is going for. All it has to look good is during flight.
Gotcha, missed that footage I suppose. But yeah you're right, different goals entirely, but their tech is also similarly impressive regardless if it doesn't hold up to close inspection, the weather stuff definitely looks like a quantum leap ahead of everything else in the market.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
Gotcha, missed that footage I suppose. But yeah you're right, different goals entirely, but their tech is also similarly impressive regardless if it doesn't hold up to close inspection, the weather stuff definitely looks like a quantum leap ahead of everything else in the market.
Absolutely. It is orders of magnitude better that what you'd expect a *dry* flight simulator to be.

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017

You can rent and/or purchase all of the flyable ships in the game with the exception of a handful. The 890 jump and the ships attained via third party deals such as the Sabre raven (intel) and the Mustang Omega (AMD)

Infographic.jpg

Dec 8, 2018
Red dead 2 has a playable space of 29 sq miles.That is tiny.

Senua is *one* character. You're comparing it against an ensemble cast of 100+ named characters.

In flight simulator you never get out of your plane. Have you seen how objects look up close in flight sim?

I think your expectations are completely out of whack to expect superiority in every single aspect the game.

And I have said numerous times that SC is impressive in scale and been very clear about what I am talking about is not scale.

2. SC have been putting out in engine footage and screaming from the top of their lungs in interviews about how good their mocap, facial animation and character likeness is and while being very impressive a few years ago it now begins to look even "last gen" with senua instead of "next gen" like it did in the early videos (and later current gen) since they are not keeping up. And do you think senua, Horizon 2, or other next gen games won't have other characters as well outside of the main protagonist? It's not just the "top" characters either take a look at the NPCs in the video in the op for example, their animation and looks are far behind what anyone would consider the best in the business.

3. Flying across the city planet in SC sure looked impressive a few years ago and but flying across the cities and landscapes of FS now and it's cloud tech (both the servers and the actual clouds in the game) look far more impressive to me.

And while you definitely can land anywhere on the barren worlds in the mmo that is not the case on the planet city where you land in one tiny part of it and the rest of the city you can interact with as much as the cities in a flight sim. And what you can interact with and how "alive" that city currently is does not even come close to a small town in Red dead and don't even get me started on night city in cyberpunk. The video now posted show a universe equally "dead" compared to what other single player games offer.

Now I never said it would take the crown in every aspect I only said while it was doing exactly that a few years ago (and if released back the would be seen as the undisputed king in all of them) now it have been dethroned in basically all of them except scale and that last part and it having to wait for the mmo tech is definitely the reason for this being the case I belive.

We are talking about and comparing a single player experience and while it previously really stunned people with its visuals I don't believe the videos they now put out or the game and how it looks have anywhere near impact they used to.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't this game essentially a pay to win game that everyone hates? I don't understand the cult of personality around this game.

Pay to win in the sense that you aren't winning anything and paying for bigger ships if you decide to pay for them.

2021 probably. Also it's not a next gen game given that it will most likely only exist on PC for quite a while.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is what they have scheduled right now (or at least what we know)
  • SQ42 Beta lasting 2-3 months starting summer 2020.
  • Full release a bit after that.
But in reality I would not be surprised if they delay it a quarter (they haven't been very talkative regarding the campaign lately...).
I think, given their history, a year is more likely. Not really interested in mp part unfortunately
Pay to win in the sense that you aren't winning anything and paying for bigger ships if you decide to pay for them.

2021 probably. Also it's not a next gen game given that it will most likely only exist on PC for quite a while.
Given the complexity of controls, the last time I tinkered around, I doubt they'll drop this on consoles. I mean look-wise it won't be looking as good right now when next gen games drop and CGI heads might again chase the next next gen advancements which could add delays again. I hope they launch this asap, feature and content complete ofc, asap. This is the only part i'm really interested in and not the mp mmo part

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks great, but I'm still wary. Watching the last CitizenCon's terrible AI NPCs doesnt really make me confident that this is anywhere near ready.

Especially when they aren't showing any gameplay with that trailer.

They did promise BBC Click that it will be out by the end of the year though, so we'll see.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
huh? I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.
I mean is that it looks so good right now but it wont standout that much (graphics wise) when next gen game drops imo, I think one of the selling point of this game is just how insane and next gen it looks. CGI could again try to delay it again in order to make it look better than next gen games

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really doubt this. It's on another level of graphics, and the horse power to run this thing is pretty high.
You'll be in a surprise for next gen then, I mean the sheer of scope of this game is still gonna be technically impressive and on top but when it comes to looks I think AAA games next gen will be in this level or more most likely. I just hope they release this sp part asap and just take time, if they want, on mp, it will take at least the doubters off their back

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
I just hope they release this sp part asap and just take time, if they want, on mp, it will take at least the doubters off their back
The bulk of the development is on the sp so no worries there, it's certainly the priority at this moment. It will be interesting to see what exactly happens when the various SP teams complete their work and shift their focus to the PU.

Velorath

Feb 28, 2018
Have they given any explanation yet as to why the S42 roadmaps they release each week have shown little to no progress for around the last 6 months give or take?

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a mechanism in place to stop people from cheating themselves infinite funds in the single player? Thats probably what I'd do.

Loadout

Oct 26, 2017
Israel
A singleplayer campaign? Color me intrigued, I love space operas. Hope they'll consider releasing it on next-gen consoles.