• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dojo32161

Sep 4, 2019
Well my second favorite Telltale series should be in good hands if nothing else lol.

Hopefully whoever Gearbox get working on this game can bring it together to meet the expectations. That a cult classic like this is being given a second chance is incredible enough, I'm not going to thumb my nose at the studio working at it as I imagine it could only have been revived and led by people who are passionate about it.
The studio working on it is Gearbox.

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
pretty much. The tales characters in BL3 were flanderized caricatures. They sucked so much that I honestly would rather that gearbox just didnt bother including them.
this is where I'm at

after BL3 I have very little faith in gearbox to do right by these characters, and I mean that for both the TFTBs and mainline games' characters

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
The studio working on it is Gearbox.
Oh I know I wasn't trying to imply otherwise, when I said whatever people working on it must be passionate I just meant whatever staff are on it. It's not like this would be the result of a vapid money grab, I'm fairly certain the first one didn't meet expectations. So my hope is whoever is championing it internally helps ensure we get a game that tries to live up to the first.

Azaan60

Mar 18, 2020
The original Tales From The Borderlands is one of my favourite games of all time. I really hope Telltale is involved with this.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
I have no faith in this being as good as the first - unless they get the guy who does kronks voice back,

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Hope they'll at least get TftB writers back for this. Seems there's alot of them:

Pierre Shorette
Adam Hines
Jeremy Breslau
Chuck Jordan
Eric Stirpe
Anthony Burch
Zack Keller

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
If it's the same writers that write the main games then big pass

The writing in the first game was genuinely very very funny and clever, two things I've not seen from the main games.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
A huge benefit of the first Tales from the Borderlands was the tone was still light but didn't have the memey gags like the Gearbox games

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Will wait to see who is writing it before getting too excited, as the first is a 10/10 for me and that was 100% down to the writing. But I'd be so happy if they get a lot of the original writers. I think the last thing I remember was Ubi hiring a few of them, but not sure if anything came from that and the rest scattered.

Edit: yeah seems there's not a big chance of many of the original writing team coming back for this, but my Wolf Among Us 2 hype increased some more.

Last edited:

MarinZero

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 26, 2022
That's some monkey's paw wish shit. Gearbox is terrible at storytelling, which was the reason why that first game was good.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
I'm excited even if it is Gearbox just because I didn't think we would ever get something like this again.

If we get some good writing it should be enjoyable. My faith in Gearbox on that end is a little iffy I liked 2 but thought BL3 was awful in that area. At least it sounds like Tiny Tina's have been a bit stronger.

dojo32161

Sep 4, 2019
Doing a quick search I think it's unlikely that most of the main writers will come back:

Pierre Shorette - CCO at AdHoc (Making wolf among us 2)
Adam Hines - Co founded Night School Studios (Oxenfree and AfterParty)
Jeremy Breslau - Narrative Director at Sony
Chuck Jordan - Apparently he recently made a game for the PlayDate, guess he's small indie so there might be a bigger chance for him? Dude has quite the resume.
Eric Stirpe - Lead Writer at Remedy.
Anthony Burch - Writer at Santa Monica Studio
Zack Keller - Narrative Director at King

Hopefully I'm wrong and if I'm not that they've found good people for this game, loved the first one and it deserves a great follow up.
Since you did writers, thought I'd throw in the directors, who were pretty essential to the visual humor and emotional directing.

Nick Herman - Same boat as Pierre Shorette, working at AdHoc
Jonathan Stauder - Working at Deck Nine, so possibly working on The Expanse Telltale game
Ashley Ruhl - Seems to be working at Bioware on Star Wars: The Old Republic
Martin Montgomery - Seems to be a creative director at Genvid Technologies, seems to be working on a Walking Dead project that's part game part streaming series.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
> New cast

> Gearbox developing

Yeah I'm good unless the actual reveal is something really special

Like seriously the fact that they won't touch those awesome characters, for whom most of the foundation has already been done by the writers of the first game, is a huge red flag.

Last edited:

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Interest is in the gutter with Gearbox developing. Hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

Farlander

Game Designer
Verified
Sep 29, 2021
I never bought Tales From the Borderlands because I really disliked Borderlands humor (sometimes chuckly, mostly annoying and cringy) and I wasn't interested in a narrative game based on that.

But then the game was given out on PS+ and I decided to try it and realized what a big mistake I have made.

If not THE funniest then definitely one of the funniest games I have ever played ever ever ever. With a lot of touching moments too! I actually remember shedding a tear at one point. Simply sublime.

It did Handsome Jack better than Borderlands 2 and Pre-Sequel combined.

It made me a fan of Borderlands, but not Gearbox Borderlands. Telltale Borderlands.

So until we see that the writing style is different from mainline Borderlands titles and they manage to capture the humor and heart of the world and characters like Tales, which ironically did it better than the main series, my interest in a narrative-focused Borderlands game will be zero.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
OIP.cDGK3QKA-rwO81DKoAFcfwHaE-

OIP.0tDwWsVn74gB0SMTRnHnjwHaE-
Spot on lol.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I really love the original. I am cautiously optimistic this will be good.

On a side note, I feel like Guardians of the Galaxy is a pretty good spiritual successor writing wise to this game. So if anyone loved this game but hasn't played GoTG, I think there's a pretty good chance you'll like it.

Sax

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The first was the only Telltale game I really liked so I was excited at first but then seeing the details... ehhhhhh

steambender

Jan 2, 2020
pretty much. The tales characters in BL3 were flanderized caricatures. They sucked so much that I honestly would rather that gearbox just didnt bother including them.

Yup this. I love Tales from the Borderlands, its one of my favorite games but after Gearbox decided to make Vaughn an absolute joke and Rhys a one-note character that didn't shut up about his mustache in BL3 I'm very hesitant to be excited about this. My only hope is that Fiona and Sasha turn out as bad as Rhys and Vaughn.

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
Isn't Tales from the Borderlands good in spite of Gearbox, not because of Gearbox? So it seems like now you get all the Borderlands writing with none of the serviceable gameplay to distract you from it.

Worst of both worlds.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
I loved TftB and I can't stand the writing in GB developed Borderlands anymore. Zero faith in this project to be any good.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Without the original writing team, I have little reason to care. However I hope they can pull it off nonetheless.

Jan 31, 2018
Eh, I'd rather they just make an animated series. Tried Tales of the Borderlands but the controls were so godawful that I give up on it.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I still have a little bit of faith. Yeah, the humour is going to be worse than the first TftBL but Gearbox still has their moments of good writing, mostly in BL2. BL3 however was really bad though so while I am still interested, I'm keeping expectations real low.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
yeah the original was the only well-written Borderlands game so this being made by actual Gearbox is not filling me with confidence

on the plus side, new cast means no Chris Hardwick