• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Smells like another 60-70/100 game by Bandai Namco. I can taste the poor production choices that sacrifice being a good game for prettier visuals like Jump Force from here

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doesnt look like cheap anime. Protagonist looks done with puberty. Wow.

If it has other modern sensibilities (seamless battles with enemies populating the world) I may finally play a Tales game.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's time for Tales to get with the times and stop being held back. It was held back by a PS3 engine for most of this gen.

Oh, oh no. It was held back by an engine that was made for Tales of Symphonia. No joke. I forget who it was, when someone was analyzing the engine for one of the later Tales of games for the PC release, found out through research of it that it's engine seems to have been sourced all the way back to Symphonia. It's been heavily modified, yes, but they've been using an engine since PS2/GC era.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
I hope it's good. I haven't enjoyed a Tales of game since OG Vesperia. The series really seems to have gone downhill in the last decade.

Even Berseria, which I heard a lot of people like, felt really low-budget to me, with expansive environments of nothing-at-all and a bland plot.

Fingers crossed for this one. Visually, at least, it looks like a jump.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played a Tales game in so long. I absolutely loved Symphonia on GCN and really dug Abyss on the PS2, but just haven't been able to keep up with the series since given the near-annual pace of releases (and my generally slowed-down gaming pace over the years). I like the new art style of this, looking forward to seeing it in action. Might be my first Tales game in well over a decade.

SinnohRemakes

Apr 2, 2019
So do i need to play an previous tales games to understand whats going on in this one? or are they like final fantasy where every game is its own story?
Tales games are standalone except for direct sequels like Destiny/Destiny 2 and Xillia/Xillia 2. The most recent mothership title, Berseria, takes place in the distant past of the last game (Zestiria). Other than references to the latter, Berseria can be enjoyed without playing Zesty.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played a Tales game in so long. I absolutely loved Symphonia on GCN and really dug Abyss on the PS2, but just haven't been able to keep up with the series since given the near-annual pace of releases (and my generally slowed-down gaming pace over the years). I like the new art style of this, looking forward to seeing it in action. Might be my first Tales game in well over a decade.

Apart from Tales of Vesperia, Symphonia's spiritual successor, which is also fortunately availble as an HD/4K remaster for all platforms now, you haven't missed much. After Vesperia the time, money and effort they spent on new Tales games dropped signifcantly. This game is the first after Vesperia that seems to have gotten more time, money and effort again.

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh damn... So the engine was that old? Glad they decided to change and be held back by such a greatly outdated engine.

Honestly, I was surprised about that when I found out about it. I think it was.. Zestiria and Symphonia's PC ports with how it was found out, specifically. Though, given certain quirks found in the games, it makes sense in hindsight.

But yeah, if they're definitely on a new engine, that's good. Definitely was reaching what they could realistically do with it.

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
I read the logo as Tales of Arse for a second. Maybe not he greatest name. Happy to see one of these finally get a budget again, but I'm worried those models are gonna clash really hard against the realistic style of the environments. Excited to see more.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I read the logo as Tales of Arse for a second. Maybe not he greatest name. Happy to see one of these finally get a budget again, but I'm worried those models are gonna clash really hard against the realistic style of the environments. Excited to see more.
Im i the only one that sees lots of cel shading on the backdrop ? 🧐

Edit: or, who knows maybe its just the lightning

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
Apart from Tales of Vesperia, Symphonia's spiritual successor, which is also fortunately availble as an HD/4K remaster for all platforms now, you haven't missed much. After Vesperia the time, money and effort they spent on new Tales games dropped signifcantly. This game is the first after Vesperia that seems to have gotten more time, money and effort again.

Graces, Xillia, and Zestiria have longer dev times than Vesperia did, probably pretty similar in cost if not moreso.

I would say years of staff restructuring and tools they've struggled to keep up to date have disrupted their workflow or held them back much more than time or money.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Lol this was my exact reaction too.

Vesperia was the last one I played and I loved it, but it's been hard to keep up.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Im i the only one that sees lots of cel shading on the backdrop ? 🧐

Edit: or, who knows maybe its just the lightning

I'd call the backgrounds painterly in style, definitely not realistic, like in most anime. So I don't think characters and backgrounds will clash at all but harmonize well.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I'd call the backgrounds painterly in style, definitely not realistic, like in most anime. So I don't think characters and backgrounds will clash at all but harmonize well.
Yeah i don't see the problem, its a different style sure, but still plenty of anime/cartoonish here and there, if anything its a refreshing change for the series

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Oh geez. No information yet but just judging by the look of the main guy, I'm worried they'll take all the wrong lessons about what was fun about the Tales-flavored edginess of Berseria.

In terms of comparing with Xenoblade 2, I don't expect Tales to deviate too strongly from the flat traversal options of climbing vines or jumping from pre-determined points and having three dimensional exploration was what Xenoblade excelled at. The ability to defy areas that you'd expect invisible walls to be, the feeling of being able to go high up and jump to land on another portion of explorable land made the environments feel more alive. Tales has had some nice looking environments that look great in screenshots but you can only explore a small boxed portion of it. So comparing the fidelity of grass seems less significant.

Not that I care about exploring big overworlds in a Tales game.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
I hope the battle system would be as good as Graces F.

It's complex, deep, flashy, stylish, fast, hectic, chaotic, and 60 fps to boot.

Unknown837

Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully they stop trying to make unnecessary battle system changes and just copy Graces F, which was perfect.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
So when are expecting it to be officially announced?

Some time over E3?
Microsofts Press Conference?
Tales of Festival next weekend?

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, oh no. It was held back by an engine that was made for Tales of Symphonia. No joke. I forget who it was, when someone was analyzing the engine for one of the later Tales of games for the PC release, found out through research of it that it's engine seems to have been sourced all the way back to Symphonia. It's been heavily modified, yes, but they've been using an engine since PS2/GC era.
That doesn't mean anything though. Plenty of games use old engines that are just built upon. In fact, most do when it's a long running series. 'New engines' are a rare thing.

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That doesn't mean anything though. Plenty of games use old engines that are just built upon. In fact, most do when it's a long running series. 'New engines' are a rare thing.

I mean, sure, but using an engine built back in 2001/02 up until 2017 doesn't seem very common. Most of the times there does get to a point where they need to build a new engine with each turn of the generation. Square Enix tended to do this every generation change, for instance.

EDIT: Also, this could probably be chalked up to Sega being Sega, but Sonic had no consistency with any engine and except certain stretches on certain platforms, it often had an entirely new engine for each new game. Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 are different between games, Sonic Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog, and Sonic Riders, are probably the most consistent in this regards, Sonic 06's engine was not reused (outside of bringing over Havoc) outside of that game, Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Generations do share the same Hedgehog engine, but the Wii games often had new engines (though I believe it was confirmed the Hedgehog engine was running on the platform, but they couldn't realistically do what they wanted). Then I believe the Wii U games were all different engines, and Sonic Forces was a new engine that, while can do modern effects, struggles to be able to load as much information like the previous Hedgehog engine.

Last edited:

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Combat looks nothing like Tales... why not just make a new ip not like Tales is some big name

SinnohRemakes

Apr 2, 2019
Well, there you have it. The 2-3 seconds of combat looked incredibly different from usual Tales fare. Not gonna lie, it's incredibly different and I'm very excited. Seemingly adult protagonist is a nice plus.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.