• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
It SHOULD. What's the longest we've had with games extending a world's story? You have Phantasia/Symphonia, Destiny/Destiny 2, Xillia/Xillia 2, Zestiria/Berseria... (am I leaving anything out?).

They should keep it simple, limiting to two installments in a "shared world" then move on.

The ToP/ToS world actually had five games lol: Symphonia, DotNW, Phantasia, Narikiri Dungeon X, and Summoner;s Lineage.

Hibiki

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't this the first time they reuse a letter for the name of a mainline title? (Used A for Abyss before).

I hope it's good. Tales has been needing a real revamp these days. It's been a stale franchise for a while now.

plebc

Jan 7, 2018
I was hoping for a Switch version, but I guess I will have to get it on my PS4.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
I initially assumed it could be Lailah too, but reading the setting description - it's clear that this is a new setting altogether.

On the planet Dahna, reverence has always been given to Rena, the planet in the sky, as a land of the righteous and divine. Stories handed down for generations became truth and masked reality for the people of Dahna. For 300 years, Rena has ruled over Dahna, pillaging the planet of its resources and stripping people of their dignity and freedom.

Our tale begins with two people, born on different worlds, each looking to change their fate and create a new future. Featuring a new cast of characters, updated combat, and classic Tales of gameplay mechanics, experience the next chapter in the world-famous Tale of series, Tales of Arise.

It's going back to the multi-planetary conflict as seen with Aselia/Derris-Kharlan in Phantasia and Inferia/Celestia in Eternia.

GKSilKamina

Oct 25, 2017
Festering Swamp, USA
Okay, good. They finally gave the series a budget for once. Now if they could just bring back Go Shiina to compose the full soundtrack and use the Chain Capacity battle system from Graces, we'll be golden.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Basic plot sounds a bit like FFXIII but we play from Gran Pulse POV.

I am so in, hope with the jumpo to current gen and bigger budget they still keep all that makes Tales the series it is (the skits, the humor, the combat, the very anime-y plots and some of the tropes) while improving gameplay with new tech, and they do not overhaul everything in search of a bigger audience.

Truth to be told, they should have tried this move a few years back when Square Enix still hadn't released FFXV yet, there was a big hole in the scene, and Tales could have taken the spotlight but now it's a bit too late as SE regained a lot of approval imho

RiceToast

Apr 26, 2019
Well this looks really interesting. Never played a game from the Tales of series so I'll keep my eye on this one.

C_Ali88

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whole thread: TaLeS gOt BuDgEt NoW!!!!

Looks ok. Will reserve judgement for a motion trailer.

SuperYlvis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My dream is coming through, a Tales game with an upgraded graphics engine and what seems to be a world that is much more open. The only thing missing now is a combat system with no transitions to battle arenas.

squaretomato

Alt account
Banned
Jun 8, 2019
I don't get how it looks westernized. I don't remember western games with anime half face mask. It's just a tad more open. BotW is also more open than previous Zelda game, and it went on to be the best selling Zelda in Japan.

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
FUCK YES. I loved Berseria so much and it really had me waiting for the next Tales game, finally here!

Wtf those screenshots are absolutely unreal in comparison to the last game, wow stunning.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Wow, that looks amazing! Tales is finally going big!

Shame it's on Switch, considering Vesperia did so well, but well, it's what you get to expect from Bamco. Will still have to get this day one!

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
The artstyle looks a lot like that game SE was making with Baba that just got canned.

Characters look really ugly, MC looks straight out of Code Vein.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder (and hope) that the switch to UE4 means that future games will have shorter turnaround times (i image this one took longer because of the passage from Berseria), and that they won't have as much as catching up to do once next-gen hits.

Yeah he looks a lot worse than average Tales Of protagonist, i prefer them with simpler clothes that are more stylish.
Well if its a proper Tales we'll have a lot of skins anyway lol

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
Tbh the look of the character reminds me of Jin from Xenoblade 2. This is a pretty good JRPG protagonist design imo.

H-I-M

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
1559944595775.png

Oooh shit, they finally went HD. Praise Martell.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Rowen is the only old man character in the series who fits the description

Exede

Banned
Feb 8, 2019
Looks good for a Tales of game, but to use texture work with jaggies on current gen stuff isnt uber good i think.
nCVvT28.jpg

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Doesn't look like a jrpg too me but i guess they needed to change the style if they want it to succeed on a specific platform.

Yikes.

SinnohRemakes

Apr 2, 2019
Sweet, new engine - the one used from Xillia to Beseria was getting old imo. Please no more corridor dungeons though Bandai Namco.

Yazuka

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I see we are a few who thinks the new girl looks a bit like Lailah.
Now if this game is set in the Zestiria/Berseria universe (I hope it's a completely new one myself).
What if...
If it really is Lailah. But from a time when she was human? If she has even been human?
We know Mikleo was human and then transformed into a Seraphim.
So what if it's the same thing here?

Jiraiza

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, the Tales drought is finally over. Just inject those skits into my veins with a fun cast of characters, and I am in.

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
Just woke up and saw this. Pretty excited but still taking it in.

I was 100% sure that woman was Lailah at first glance. I love the Zestiria/Berseria universe so I wouldn't mind, but it's looking like a new world.

Yavga

Banned
Dec 20, 2017
Didn't Bandai promise Nintendo a new entry into the franchise like eons ago a short while after NX speak? Not much left of that I guess.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
The artstyle looks a lot like that game SE was making with Baba that just got canned.

I don't think he looks too great, but let's not go crazy and call it Code Vein. That shit is straight hideous.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
the combat in graces/berseria is the peak of the series

i'd rather have more games with combat like those two than to move backwards to Team Symphonia's efforts
I'd say Berseria is definitely up there. Zestitia relied too much on the fusion mechanism, which made playing in a skilled way non-essential imo. I do like how Vesperia did combat, though, with more freedom than other Symphonia team games but still a linear style. My top 3 battle systems would be Graces, Vesperia, Berseria (not in order).

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I'm not really digging the style so far, but maybe I'll warm up to it. I didn't really mind the aesthetic of the previous, lower budget games either way.

...Jude and Raven are 35? Their games treat them like they're 55 or older.
Yeah crazy use to think Raven at least 60, but judging by protagonists ages they usually go from 15 to 20 or so, so 35 is like twice their age I wouldn't be that surprised by they way they interact.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
...Jude and Raven are 35? Their games treat them like they're 55 or older.
it gets lost in translation, but 35 is basically old man status in japan so they kept hammering in those jokes towards raven
I'd say Berseria is definitely up there. Zestitia relied too much on the fusion mechanism, which made playing in a skilled way non-essential imo. I do like how Vesperia did combat, though, with more freedom than other Symphonia team games but still a linear style. My top 3 battle systems would be Graces, Vesperia, Berseria (not in order).
i never played zestiria (luckily, from what i hear) so i can't comment on that, and while i enjoyed vesperia somewhat it *definitely* felt like a decade-old game when compared to graces/berseria

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
i hated Zesteria's battle system your basically forced to use Rose and Sorey

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I did read a comment earlier with someone complaining it "isn't weeby enough". Different thresholds, I suppose.

I am not really getting it. The guy seems pretty overly designed, just as i'd expect, and so does the girl.

Didn't Bandai promise Nintendo a new entry into the franchise like eons ago a short while after NX speak? Not much left of that I guess.

did they? I thought they just said a tales game would appear on switch, which vesperia was...

Status
Not open for further replies.