• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
It's seemingly more and more likely that an "Xbox One S" style Switch update is the newxt logical step, but whether or not it will include a dock is another story.

I can see Nintendo introducing this new line as a completely "portable only" experience, running at docked speeds while in handheld. The downside is that there's no TV out, but an upshot would be that handheld picture quality will be better than the base Switch.

Nintendo could also keep the base Switch at the same price and bundle one or two games with it, or perhaps bundle the charging grip instead of the dummy one that was included during launch. Meanwhile, the new "Switch Lite" would cost much cheaper, smaller, and have longer battery life than the original, but will be positioned to replace the 3DS at the $150 range. The (new) 3DS could be the most accessible entry level Nintendo device if priced at $99.
i think a $99 Switch lite would sell really well. /s
Now seriously, no way Nintendo will come out with a $150 price point for any Switch model at this stage. Yes the 3DS family has eventually reached lower price points, but this happened over time. Providing a $150 price point at this stage, even though for a new "lesser" model (which will not even really be lesser if it ends up as you think faster undocked), would be considered a huge devaluation of the brand, far worse than the 3DS "panic price cut" (and that was already unprecedented).

Added: I know in the past I mentioned a $200 model might come out this year for Pokemon and Animal Crossing, but I take that back. I now think the lowest Nintendo would go this year is $250 with a new model at the same time AC or Pokemon come out (whichever comes first), that should already get more people on board.

Last edited:

Deguello

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
That is exactly my point. Wii would have been a much more attractive system for 3rd parties, which would have solved Nintendo's 3rd party problems 10 years sooner than the Switch did. 3DS with Tegra 3 would have also allowed them to create a single development pipeline between these two platforms, it would also support engines like Unity, allowing Indie games to come to 3DS early on. Allowing for those early years to see more support.

The Tegra 3 came out a little too late to be part of the 3DS, unfortunately. Tegra 2 was avaliable, but it wasn't as good for what Nintendo needed for the 3DS. TBH Tegra didn't get really impressive until K1, although if the 3DS DID get access to Tegra 3 through a delay or whatnot, that would have been pretty interesting.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
The Tegra 3 came out a little too late to be part of the 3DS, unfortunately. Tegra 2 was avaliable, but it wasn't as good for what Nintendo needed for the 3DS. TBH Tegra didn't get really impressive until K1, although if the 3DS DID get access to Tegra 3 through a delay or whatnot, that would have been pretty interesting.
like I said the Asus transformer tablet released November 9th 2011, it had the Tegra 3 powering it. If 3DS was delayed until the holidays 2011 (which considering it had no system sellers until the holiday season anyways) it could have launched with the Tegra 3.

Last edited:

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think I was trying to be condescending. If you feel that way, then I can only apologize as to your feelings. But as to the point, the plural of anecdote is not data. If the larger sales data doesn't reflect widespread "market confusion" by parents, then it just isn't there on any significant level. A local cold snap doesn't disprove global warming/climate change.

Larger sales data did suggest that something was problematic with the market's perception of the Wii U, though. I mean, it bombed, after the very successful Wii.

Sales data never tells you the why. How can it? It's just numbers. It just tells you people aren't buying. To figure out why, you have to do research. Which includes talking to people and, yes, getting their stories. And if you hear time and time again that people don't understand what the Wii U is, well, maybe there's something to it.

You say "If the larger sales data doesn't reflect widespread 'market confusion' by parents, then it just isn't there" but isn't low sales exactly how widespread market confusion would be reflected in sales? What else are the sales numbers supposed to do? All they can do is indicate how well the product is being accepted by the market, they can't indicate "widespread market confusion" any more directly than they did.

Again, I wasn't sold on the name being terrible at first. I rather liked the name, and I thought the concern was overblown because, like you, I had seen clueless news reports about other consoles in the past. But then the Wii U came out, and I saw confusion again and again.

It is still easy to explain failure after the fact. Once something is established as a market failure, it's easy to lock in on any one thing as the deciding factor, when it's usually more mundane reasons like game selection and release frequency instead it's name or its shape.

I'm not saying the name and shape was the only or even primary factor as to the Wii U's failure. But we're discussing it in this thread in the context of whether or not a series of Switch revisions that are "moving targets" for developers would be too confusing for the general market.

It's clear to me that a big part of the appeal of game consoles in the first place is not having to worry about compatibility beyond the big logo on the top of the box, with very few exceptions (like games that require special accessories).

The Game Boy Advance launched for $150. I hesitate to infer you might be thinking of the GBA SP, which did launch at $100, because that might be condescending, and I am trying to make an effort not to do so.

This is a small point, but I've seen this a lot lately and I don't understand why. The Game Boy Advance launched at $99:

Source 1
Source 2

I bought one at launch with Castlevania: Circle of the Moon. It was the first hardware I ever purchased day one; I was very excited about it, even though the screen was terrible.

I would like to pre-emptively apologize if anything in the previous post made you feel condescended to. If you feel that this might be a recurring problem, feel free to ignore my posts in the future.

I'm not sure if you think this was a genuine apology or if you were just being snarky, but in the interest of trying to believe the best of people, I'll just point out that "if you think I'm condescending feel free to ignore my posts" sort of undermines any apology. It's, like, a couple notches above "fuck off."

I don't feel that way toward you. Taking the time to write out a response to you is a sign of respect, even if we don't agree. I legitimately mean that. There's tons of people on the Internet who are way less informed than you; I could try to discuss things with them but, like, why? That's why we all come to this place, right?

But if I respect someone, I'm going to be honest with them, and if I decide to honestly say I think someone is being condescending, that's not something I'm saying rashly or without thought. That's something I weighed heavily in my mind before writing, just like I'm carefully considering this paragraph. It's a sign of respect. I wouldn't say that to someone I thought would dismiss it out of hand, the way immature people dismiss anything they perceive to be a criticism. I'd only bother saying it to someone I thought was willing to be reflective as to how they communicate. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm trying to believe the best in people.

I haven't learned much in my life, but I've learned a few things, and one of them is this: when someone tells you you're doing something that bothers them, listen to them, and consider the possibility that you can be doing that thing without meaning to. That's just table stakes, for adult conversations and relationships. "I don't think I was trying to X" is a dodge for children.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Here is an interesting video:

Personally don't like any of the form factors, but it does cover the spectrum of different ones, minus a powerful home console and a Switch "Pro" in the same size as the current Switch, but I don't think either of those really need to be demonstrated

Last edited:

Deguello

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Sales data never tells you the why. How can it? It's just numbers. It just tells you people aren't buying. To figure out why, you have to do research. Which includes talking to people and, yes, getting their stories. And if you hear time and time again that people don't understand what the Wii U is, well, maybe there's something to it.

I'm still not coming away with any sort of resolute proof that the name did anything to contribute to the Wii U's poor market reception. This is veering into "Curse of the Billy Goat" magical thinking along with a post hoc fallacy. No it wasn't the Cubs sucking for 75 years by having inadequate players and coaches and losing baseball games. The stadium banned a guy with a Billy Goat once and he might have issued a curse on his way out. You can find a whole lot of people who swear this to be the reason the Cubs never won the World Series. It's possible millions of dollars was spent on "reversing" the Curse of the Billy Goat. There might have been as many people who believe the Curse of the Billy Goat as there were seats in Wrigley Field. But that's not why the Cubs didn't win the World Series in 75 years. They didn't win because they didn't have good enough players and/or good enough coaching. Likewise, if the Wii U had a compelling software pipeline right from the get-go, nobody would have cared about the name. Some people thought Switch was a dumb name too. Here's a guy "confused" by the Switch. So what's different here? I suppose the record-breaking sales of the Switch and a way better chain of software along with that software being top-notch caliber may have something to do with it.

And I fail to see what research you could have done to get a conclusive idea. What's your sample size? Who did you ask? Are your results geographically biased? For example, I live in the South and I could ask random passersby why the jobs seem to be leaving their town. They'll swear up and down that it's illegal immigration and ACLU lawyers. That is, of course, not why jobs are leaving their area, but I guess if I hear it over and over it must be the case, right?

This is a small point, but I've seen this a lot lately and I don't understand why. The Game Boy Advance launched at $99:

Source 1
Source 2.

Must be whoever entered the information into Wikipedia's fault then. It did launch at a higher price than the Game Boy Color, though, and even that IGN link says it sold like crazy.

I'm not sure if you think this was a genuine apology or if you were just being snarky, but in the interest of trying to believe the best of people, I'll just point out that "if you think I'm condescending feel free to ignore my posts" sort of undermines any apology. It's, like, a couple notches above "fuck off."

I don't feel that way toward you. Taking the time to write out a response to you is a sign of respect, even if we don't agree. I legitimately mean that. There's tons of people on the Internet who are way less informed than you; I could try to discuss things with them but, like, why? That's why we all come to this place, right?

But if I respect someone, I'm going to be honest with them, and if I decide to honestly say I think someone is being condescending, that's not something I'm saying rashly or without thought. That's something I weighed heavily in my mind before writing, just like I'm carefully considering this paragraph. It's a sign of respect. I wouldn't say that to someone I thought would dismiss it out of hand, the way immature people dismiss anything they perceive to be a criticism. I'd only bother saying it to someone I thought was willing to be reflective as to how they communicate. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm trying to believe the best in people.

I haven't learned much in my life, but I've learned a few things, and one of them is this: when someone tells you you're doing something that bothers them, listen to them, and consider the possibility that you can be doing that thing without meaning to. That's just table stakes, for adult conversations and relationships. "I don't think I was trying to X" is a dodge for children.

I appreciate your candor, but I feel that there's not really any way I can control how others will react to my posts, and "condescension" is such a fuzzy area. Growing up as a gifted kid in the South, "condescension" was always used whenever I would display my intellectual acumen beyond my friends, family, and enemies. Once they learned it was an attack line against gifted people (well, really, just me specifically), they would use it non-stop if I ever overextended their understanding. We are now having a wave of virulent anti-intellectualism in this country, so forgive me if I'm a bit prickly about it and and not overly concerned with coming off as condescending to others, especially through the impersonal medium of internet forums.

My offer of "feel free to ignore my posts" is in good faith. It's best for both of us that neither of us wastes time trying to tone-police the other.

Last edited:

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
checking back in on this thread, but it's hard to tell anything. Is there any new info on if this is actually happening or not?

Oct 27, 2017
Here is an interesting video:

Personally don't like any of the form factors, but it does cover the spectrum of different ones, minus a powerful home console and a Switch "Pro" in the same size as the current Switch, but I don't think either of those really need to be demonstrated

While idk about a switch mini that small (and the person on the video is using an iPhone) I would buy a switch near the 4.5 inch screen size instantly just so I could put it in my pocket. My main reason for not taking my switch to play on breaks at work is I'd need a bag.

Idk if it would happen and it has a host of problems it creates with branding but I would buy it for sure. As a secondary switch if need be but ideally it still connects to TV (maybe smaller dock?)

You'd have to remove HD rumble and use circle pads and idk if they can make ZL ZR pocketable without making them tiny bumpers like on 3DS but still, the idea is salivating

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
You'd have to remove HD rumble and use circle pads and idk if they can make ZL ZR pocketable without making them tiny bumpers like on 3DS but still, the idea is salivating
I think they would leave the sticks as is and leave it to the user to either be careful, or they would stick it in a clamshell with recesses for the sticks. As long as they ignore button presses on the shoulders while closed as a clamshell, they'd probably be OK.

Personally I'd like to see them do a 2-screen variant that can do DS/3DS VC or carts, but that's maybe a bit of wishful thinking.

Deguello

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Personally I'd like to see them do a 2-screen variant that can do DS/3DS VC or carts, but that's maybe a bit of wishful thinking.

I'm with you on that. I don't know how they'd make it work on the TV Wii-U style, but we are definitely losing something with the apparent end of dual screen gaming that will come with 3DS's eventual discontinuation. Shuffling HUD elements off to another screen maximized viewable realestate for the actual game, not to mention the new creative gameplay possibilities. Even just putting the map on the bottom screen like with your Metroid-style games would be a great boon.

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
I'm with you on that. I don't know how they'd make it work on the TV Wii-U style, but we are definitely losing something with the apparent end of dual screen gaming that will come with 3DS's eventual discontinuation. Shuffling HUD elements off to another screen maximized viewable realestate for the actual game, not to mention the new creative gameplay possibilities. Even just putting the map on the bottom screen like with your Metroid-style games would be a great boon.
One thought that I've always had was to flip the Wii U on it's head. Give the tablet the ability to broadcast content to an HDMI dongle.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
If you just want two screens, a phone case that the Joycons slide onto, would work. You could just stream the bottom screen to your phone via an app.

JoshuaJSlone

Dec 27, 2017
Indiana
BC is usually the sort of thing that's removed to make things cheaper. A new cheap model adding in major new components specifically for increasingly old content is preeetty unlikely. Anyway, most dual screen games can be rearranged to work decently on the single 16:9 screen if they wanted to start selling them.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
According to this wackado, a few job listings means there could be a new switch coming 2019?

I mean, couldn't it be labo, or another mini console like a n64or ame boy mini?

Am i wrong about that? Any "evidence" here?

https://youtu.be/IsBejIaxM4w
I'm somewhat confident some sort of new model is coming out this year, but no, what he posted is not proof of anything.

Why would Nintendo use interns who will work only for 4 months, for something like a new revision? If you have a new revision with new features, you won't look for someone to address those for 4 months only and then be gone. 4 month interns for something like a Labo revision (...) is more likely.

Last edited:

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
According to this wackado, a few job listings means there could be a new switch coming 2019?

I mean, couldn't it be labo, or another mini console like a n64or ame boy mini?

Am i wrong about that? Any "evidence" here?

https://youtu.be/IsBejIaxM4w
He has been beating the drum for years that Nintendo is going to dump Nvidia with a Switch revision and go for a PS4.5 power stationary console in like 2019

You can actually watch the Switch reveal stream where he had been betting for months that the Switch was what I just described and see how he goes into complete denial mode

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Bah no news just yet?

I'm guessing bigger battery, better joycon ergonomics and durability, better cooling, better wifi adapter, and 1080p screen.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
I'm somewhat confident some sort of new model is coming out this year, but no, what he posted is not proof of anything.

Why would Nintendo use interns who will work only for 4 months, for something like a new revision? If you have a new revision with new features, you won't look for someone to address those for 4 months only and then be gone. 4 month interns for something like a Labo revision (...) is more likely.
the's saying they need the interns to close out.

Deleted member 21326

User requested account closure.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He has been beating the drum for years that Nintendo is going to dump Nvidia with a Switch revision and go for a PS4.5 power stationary console in like 2019

You can actually watch the Switch reveal stream where he had been betting for months that the Switch was what I just described and see how he goes into complete denial mode
He used to be a pretty down to earth guy, with some solid spekulation. But ever since the Switch reveal and his videos( which he deleted) about Sony revealing a switch in 2018. Hes been reminding me of Alex Jones, which is not a good thing.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
He used to be a pretty down to earth guy, with some solid spekulation. But ever since the Switch reveal and his videos( which he deleted) about Sony revealing a switch in 2018. Hes been reminding me of Alex Jones, which is not a good thing.
He's not a hate monger like Alex Jones. He just believes whatever he is saying, takes his own theories as facts and pushes them on others, that's where the comparison can be made sure, but that's where it ends imo.

Deguello

Banned
Jan 14, 2019

TBH I was convinced Nintendo was going to do two platforms with games cross-playable between both with hardware by AMD and IBMPower like usual. Then I saw the switch reveal and went "Oh OK, that works" and then started down the Tegra rabbit hole. Much like those times it's good to just keep your speculation in the "fun" column instead of the "must win internet argument" column. No need to be so rigid in the face of facts, and new possibilities.

My issues with his current crop of speculation isn't that he's wrong per se, but he doesn't defend it with good logic. He'll show the iPad 2018 demo that says "Xbox One S" graphics and say "see?! it's possible!" instead of doing some good legwork in tracking down benchmarks of the newer Tegra SoC's (I wonder how they benchmarked these. are these theoretical or something?) or seeing what other, similar low-wattage SoC's are capable of on paper. It is possible, and they could do it if they wanted to. We'll just have to see if they do or not.

Last edited:

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017

Okay... so I remember hearing about this a year or so ago, but tying it into what Nintendo might be doing with the Switch and incremental upgrades, I think over the next 5 years, portable devices might drastically increase in performance. Even just a 3x battery capacity increase could lead to a 20 to 30 watt Switch (given better cooling) Of course this is really just a loot at a Switch's 4th iteration, as I don't think this will be ready before the next 2, but this changes things, because if you are looking at 25watts with 3nm nanosheet processing, well it puts a home console and a hybrid very close to each other, especially if AMD continues to lag behind Nvidia.

If Goodenough, Braga, and collaborators can ramp up their technology, there would clearly be plenty of upsides. Goodenough says the team's anode and electrolyte are more or less ready for prime time. But they're still figuring out if and how they can make a cathode that will bring the promise of their technology to the commercial marketplace.

It seems they are using these batteries in drones too.

Very interesting, again, not something we will see in the next Switch device, but the one after or the one after that will likely have it. The components are actually cheaper than regular batteries, and safer, so once it finds its way into phones, it will be very common to see it in any portable device IMO.

Last edited:

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Okay... so I remember hearing about this a year or so ago, but tying it into what Nintendo might be doing with the Switch and incremental upgrades, I think over the next 5 years, portable devices might drastically increase in performance. Even just a 3x battery capacity increase could lead to a 20 to 30 watt Switch (given better cooling) Of course this is really just a loot at a Switch's 4th iteration, as I don't think this will be ready before the next 2, but this changes things, because if you are looking at 25watts with 3nm nanosheet processing, well it puts a home console and a hybrid very close to each other, especially if AMD continues to lag behind Nvidia.

Certainly, the inventor involved gives this solution a lot of legitimacy. But the reality is that there is no way to rush the proofs:
  • Can we reliably recreate the battery?
  • Do we have a way to fabricate it at scale? (I'm looking at you, graphene...)
  • Can we prove its safety and reliability? (does the voltage drop off a cliff? Can it catastrophically fail?)
  • Is the performance (and capacity) reliably recreated?
...which is why Goodenough's battery was reported more than a year ago to substantial paper criticism (which means: it needs to be either proven or disproven!) If we ignore the science and just look at the history of energy products, well, it's just extremely likely you're going to see industrial or larger (eg: car) solutions long before it makes it into relatively cheap electronics like the ones Nintendo tends to build.

And, well, here's a quote I just plucked off google:
Gerbrand Ceder, a professor at Cal Berkeley, sniffed that Goodenough's new paper "is not what it is stated to be. Most of us have moved on from this saga."

There is enormous stakes right now in cars and phones, so if something does work out, I would look there first. The good news is that virtually every major car maker (and some others, like Dyson) have invested big money in solid state battery startups. So there is definitely one or more solutions out there; the race right now seems to be to find a profitable way to manufacture at scale.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Certainly, the inventor involved gives this solution a lot of legitimacy. But the reality is that there is no way to rush the proofs:
  • Can we reliably recreate the battery?
  • Do we have a way to fabricate it at scale? (I'm looking at you, graphene...)
  • Can we prove its safety and reliability? (does the voltage drop off a cliff? Can it catastrophically fail?)
  • Is the performance (and capacity) reliably recreated?
...which is why Goodenough's battery was reported more than a year ago to substantial paper criticism (which means: it needs to be either proven or disproven!) If we ignore the science and just look at the history of energy products, well, it's just extremely likely you're going to see industrial or larger (eg: car) solutions long before it makes it into relatively cheap electronics like the ones Nintendo tends to build.

And, well, here's a quote I just plucked off google:

There is enormous stakes right now in cars and phones, so if something does work out, I would look there first. The good news is that virtually every major car maker (and some others, like Dyson) have invested big money in solid state battery startups. So there is definitely one or more solutions out there; the race right now seems to be to find a profitable way to manufacture at scale.
Yeah, whether it's ultimately the glass battery or solid state batteries, we will see a break through relatively fast. Glass battery is compelling because as you mentioned, the name behind it, and it seems like a more direct successor to what we have now. Their current goal is to switch to sodium metal electrodes, which would also make it far more environmentally conscious than what we do now, not to mention it doesn't explode.

The reason why it was controversial, was because it was seemingly creating energy out of nothing, but it has been recreated and seems like a near lossless energy storage container. Which is a particularly shocking development if true.

Deguello

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Yeah, whether it's ultimately the glass battery or solid state batteries, we will see a break through relatively fast. Glass battery is compelling because as you mentioned, the name behind it, and it seems like a more direct successor to what we have now. Their current goal is to switch to sodium metal electrodes, which would also make it far more environmentally conscious than what we do now, not to mention it doesn't explode.

The reason why it was controversial, was because it was seemingly creating energy out of nothing, but it has been recreated and seems like a near lossless energy storage container. Which is a particularly shocking development if true.

Battery tech is exciting stuff, especially for my other passion, Electric Vehicles. Just doubling the density would give current EVs on the market 400+ miles of range, exceeding the driving range of quite a few of their internal combustion counterparts. Hybrids would still win out, though.

Armed with this battery tech, would could see EVs go as far as 1,500-2,000 miles on a single charge, if the higher limit 10X prediction holds true. That's... just crazy. You could drive more than a month before needing to recharge.

Of course the implications for hybrid console capability are pretty great too. :D

Last edited:

mJay

Oct 25, 2017
Battery tech is exciting stuff, especially for my other passion, Electric Vehicles. Just doubling the density would give current EVs on the market 400+ miles of range, exceeding the driving range of quite a few of their internal combustion counterparts. Hybrids would still win out, though.

Armed with this battery tech, would could see EVs go as far as 1,500-2,000 miles on a single charge, if the higher limit 10X prediction holds true. That's... just crazy. You could drive more than a month before needing to recharge.

Of course the implications for hybrid console capability are pretty great too. :D
They would just reduce the size, and thus cost, of the battery in the vehicle. Electric cars will bring the cost of buying a new car down probably 50% when competition and technology picks up.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
First we need to figure out how to reliably make graphene at an industrial scale.
pretty much, besides Goodenough's glass battery charges in minutes anyways, so probably will be the generational leap we need for now. Super Capacitors deal with surface area for their capacity, and since the hexagon graphene can exist on a single atom layer, you could layer them "skyhigh" for immense capacities, perhaps large enough to be seen as a jump from glass batteries in a similar comparison. As for graphene super capacitors, I don't think they would add any extra power to a Switch form factor, cooling is still going to be an issue, and I can't see such a device being able to displace more than ~25watts, that being a heatsink tied to the back case and active cooling.

Deguello

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
What happened to using graphene?

Right now only Samsung seems close enough to actually making one, and it may or may not be in their new phones this year.

They would just reduce the size, and thus cost, of the battery in the vehicle. Electric cars will bring the cost of buying a new car down probably 50% when competition and technology picks up.

Maybe, but I wouldn't put it past Tesla or some other startup to be like "This car goes 1,000 miles without a charge!" as primo marketing. The new Tesla Roadster for next year promises 620 miles. Even if that's 20% B.S. and it only goes 500 miles, that's still already a half of a thousand miles on current tech alone.

Sagadego17

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. Well that would line up with some of the most recent rumors/commentary on the subject.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Yeah, I still think the best move is for both to launch this year, but a Switch Pro launching alongside a sequel to botw next year could be what they are trying to line up now.
nooo I want a Switch Pro dammit.

Well if we get a switch mini, lets assume the worst for power and assume it will be the same as current. Just better battery life and smaller bezels. How much smaller could it get though with a 12nm node though? Current switch is already compact as it is. Maybe they could stack some of the components vetically I guess.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017

Well if we get a switch mini, lets assume the worst for power and assume it will be the same as current. Just better battery life and smaller bezels. How much smaller could it get though with a 12nm node though? Current switch is already compact as it is. Maybe they could stack some of the components vetically I guess.

The Tegra X1 without a hard drive is small.
nvidia-shield-comparison-shots-02.jpg

I am sure they could actually make the Switch mini that I posted in here recently. I still think they will actively cool it, and if they do, they can do docked clocks on the go, which would be the best thing they can do for their future, but at this point, I'm not going to be surprised that they will trade long term success for short term gains.

Moi_85

Nov 26, 2018

Me too X-D

-----

Does Nikkei say something about the nanometers of the SoC?

Because if it's a upgrade on the lithography (lower consumption, then you can get the same autonomy with less battery), I doubt that the Switch not Mini take too much on make the internal upgrade (even if it were the same characteristics, in the worst case scenario, this greatly increases the battery life)

Although it may speak of the same current hardware with fewer features (screen, dock, etc.)

PD: I really hope a Switch V2 released on one year maximum, but who knows...

Status
Not open for further replies.