• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
in zero world is an ipad going to be feature parity with a full windows 10 device.

The iPad is the biggest competitor to the Surface and eats their lunch because it does a lot of things much better. That said, yes, Windows 10 can do more things than an iPad can, but when doing the same things on both a Surface and iPad shows that the Windows device is slower, more cumbersome, buggier, has shorter battery life, and is more expensive; it is up to Microsoft to bring up their product to the same standards.

So yeah, having a screen as good as an iPad's of the same price while also providing good battery life is worth wanting.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
The iPad is the biggest competitor to the Surface and eats their lunch because it does a lot of things much better. That said, yes, Windows 10 can do more things than an iPad can, but when doing the same things on both a Surface and iPad shows that the Windows device is slower, more cumbersome, buggier, has shorter battery life, and is more expensive; it is up to Microsoft to bring up their product to the same standards.

So yeah, having a screen as good as an iPad's of the same price while also providing good battery life is worth wanting.
Yep. iPad has struggled to do things a computer can but the latest update makes that almost a moot point. The iPad does almost everything better as a tablet than windows 10.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Might consider replacing my og Surface Book with a new Surface Laptop. But I was hoping that I would also be comparing against a new Surface Book...

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Just don't see much of an appeal to a laptop anymore, although it's great Microsoft is finally adopting USB-C. That Arm based tablet could be interesting except it won't be able to run a ton of Windows 10 software. I gave away my laptop to my sister and I want to go to a tablet + keyboard next, so I'm seeing if Apple releases new IPad Pro this month but I'll give a look at this Arm tablet too.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. iPad has struggled to do things a computer can but the latest update makes that almost a moot point. The iPad does almost everything better as a tablet than windows 10.

It also saddens me how Windows 10 has gone so backwards in terms of tablet UI; Windows 8 had touch commands that were analogous to many of the things iPadOS does today, but were dropped when Windows 10 came out.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Just don't see much of an appeal to a laptop anymore, although it's great Microsoft is finally adopting USB-C. That Arm based tablet could be interesting except it won't be able to run a ton of Windows 10 software. I gave away my laptop to my sister and I want to go to a tablet + keyboard next, so I'm seeing if Apple releases new IPad Pro this month but I'll give a look at this Arm tablet too.
The Arm machine will run x32 and x64 apps. It's running full windows. Though, from my understanding, performance takes a hit

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
Microsoft's seriously gonna wait another year for a Surface Book refresh? Why? This stinks honestly. I've been holding off on buying a laptop for a long time hoping that the SB3 would debut this year.

Well, I guess I'll just have to see what the specs for the Laptop 3 are. Maybe going the route of Surface Laptop + Surface Tablet might be workable?

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017

I've had multiple Surfaces in the past and only own an iPad now. While I prefer my iPad for what I do and love the iPadOS update, there is still a massive difference between what a Surface can do compared to an iPad IMO. The only "pro" feature it really added was external drive support. It's still mainly a software issue.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That was a phenomenal conference that made Apple seem like a conservative and slow company. Actual innovation on display.

However, the products Microsoft are showing are unproven in the worst ways: the stuff they want to do is stuff they have tried before and failed miserably. Which means you got 2020 devices that could bomb out of the gate, and 2019 devices that are just spec bumps.

It all depends on Windows 10X.