• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Are you trying to prove that it's impossible to tell these two games apart? Because the bottom game has a much more interesting background, more detailed tiles and the characters are all using power ups unique to the game. I reckon you shoulda gone with the sky world or something.
Interesting backgrounds don't indicate what gen something is

I think I recognize the background from the Wii U game but otherwise I wouldn't know the difference.

Ikaruga

Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Nintendo just got incredibly strong 2D Jump'n'Run(Roguelike) competitors, NSMBU doesn't cut it anymore when compared to the likes of Celeste or Hollow Knight. That said it's still a great game from what I've seen and I might get it for my Switch when there's a sale. 60 Bucks seems a bit too steep for my taste, even though it includes the Luigi Addon.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
Kind of unfortunate that the response to this game has mostly revolved around the fact that it's an expensive port - as if those of us buying it aren't aware of that. I'm not sure how useful the discussion is when people who don't want to play the game just repeatedly tell those of us that do that we're getting ripped off or encouraging greedy Nintendo or whatever.

I have the game preloaded and ready to go, and I never played it on WiiU. I'm hyped for what everyone says is one of the best 2D Mario games. Sure I wish it was $40, but I'll pay $60 for mainline Mario. It's brand new to me and I'm going in blind.

When Nintendo ends up selling way more $60 copies of this game on Switch than WiiU are people still going to say it's overpriced? There is obviously an audience willing to pay what Nintendo is asking

Of course you will buy it because Switch has no games. /s

I wanted to play as Toadette, but I didn't know she was basically "easy mode" for this game :( Luigi or Toad, it is, then.

That was fairly obvious since her announcement they even went into detail showing she was easy mode, basically that's how Bowsette started.

NSMBU is a great sidescrolling platformer + has an awesome challenge mode. The expansion pack Luigi U is top tier.

The NSMBU challenge mode was and still is underrated.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Are you trying to prove that it's impossible to tell these two games apart? Because the bottom game has a much more interesting background, more detailed tiles and the characters are all using power ups unique to the game. I reckon you shoulda gone with the sky world or something.

The opposite actually. Moreso that to an untrained eye it wouldn't be readily apparent that they are separate games at all. It was a direct response to a query of that nature.

The poster I was responding to made the suggestion that the aesthetic difference between the two NSMB games was equal to the difference between SMB3 and SMW. I disagreed and made the claim above.

Last edited:

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
The real controversy should not be the price, it should be the garbage "jump button also twirls" change!

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
I think Wii U 1st party ports should a get a pass from people. These have to be the lowest played AAA games of any console ever, so they deserve a second chance and I think full price is justified. Just my opinion though and I'm happy to pay $60 for this.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
The opposite actually. Moreso that to an untrained eye it wouldn't be readily apparent that they are separate games at all. It was a direct response to a query of that nature.

The poster I was responding to made the suggestion that the aesthetic difference between the two NSMB games was equal to the difference between SMB3 and SMW. I disagreed and made the claim above.

In that case we're in agreement and I misunderstood you.

I'm genuinely curious, do people complain when the 4K version of Star Wars: A New Hope isn't priced at $2.99?

Orange koopas can't jump?

I think gaming is a very different discussion. It's an inherently more expensive hobby because of all the expensive software you have to own. But I also think that if people can't afford something they should just not buy it and enjoy other things instead so I don't have much of a stance on the "it's too expensive" argument.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Reading this thread, learning about the questionable changes in this port have convinced me to skip it and keep my Wii U version.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I'm ready for the flurry of negative responses this could net me but if you're one of the people outraged that it's $60 - this isn't for you. Don't buy it. Pretty simple. There are people willing to pay that price and therefore they will and your angry posts won't change that.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm ready for the flurry of negative responses this could net me but if you're one of the people outraged that it's $60 - this isn't for you. Don't buy it. Pretty simple. There are people willing to pay that price and therefore they will and your angry posts won't change that.

People complaining about the price of a port of a game they already played will never be not weird for me.

Oct 28, 2017
Rather than ranting in the OT for this game I feel this is the only place I can express my feelings, I honestly feel betrayed by Nintendo with all these Wii-U ports, the only reason I buy Nintendo hardware is for first party games, all I want from Nintendo is a new MK game and a 2d Mario and instead of new games we get these pumped out at full RRP, it's a piss-take seriously, I've played these games to death on the Wii-U.

Ports in themselves aren't always a bad thing but Nintendo are blatantly re-releasing these ports instead of making new iterations, I was there day one in Dixons grabbing a NES with duck hunt back in the day but honestly I've had enough now, those that bought and continued to support the Wii-U are just getting a slap in the face with these ports, I can't be the only one that feels this way?

Last edited:

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
Rather than ranting in the OT for this game I feel this is the only place I can express my feelings, I honestly feel betrayed my Nintendo with all these Wii-U ports, the only reason I buy Nintendo hardware is for first party games, all I want from Nintendo is a new MK game and a 2d Mario and instead of new games we get these pumped out at full RRP, it's a piss-take seriously, I've played these games to death on the Wii-U.

Ports in themselves aren't always a bad thing but Nintendo are blatantly re-releasing these ports instead of making new iterations, I was there day one in Dixons grabbing a NES with duck hunt back in the day but honestly I've had enough now, those that bought and continued to support the Wii-U are just getting a slap in the face with these ports, I can't be the only one that feels this way?

I feel ya mate I'm in the same boat, but the Wii U bombed so hard it only makes sense for them to do this. Hopefully new iterations have been developing in the background whilst these ports were done.

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
Rather than ranting in the OT for this game I feel this is the only place I can express my feelings, I honestly feel betrayed my Nintendo with all these Wii-U ports, the only reason I buy Nintendo hardware is for first party games, all I want from Nintendo is a new MK game and a 2d Mario and instead of new games we get these pumped out at full RRP, it's a piss-take seriously, I've played these games to death on the Wii-U.

I get that you might be tired of ports, that's understandable, but they're not making ports *instead* of making new ones, they're simply taking more time to make new ones.

Due to having a console with the automatic added effect of portability and having a stellar catalogue stuck in a failed console that barely no one played, they're in a good position to use these remasters effectively to recover costs while making new games.

It's not like you didn't get a brand new Zelda, Mario, Splatoon, Smash and a new IP like Arms released in less than two years. And a new Yoshi soon.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018

The pricing is terrible but am I missing something who said new games weren't being made?

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Isn't that what you are doing here? Because, if you understand why people are ok with buying this game at full price, why are you talking to me? Literally zero people are saying that WiiU owners need to buy this game. If you have the game then play it on your WiiU! The WiiU was always a bad buying decision, that's not an opinion, it's a fact. Like, you are acting like I am saying this is the perfect price and can't be disputed...that's ridiculous! All of this over one game?

Literally no one is saying that everyone should be happy with the price no matter what. I'm not sure what you are even talking about...you act like people are telling people to buy Nintendo games no matter what!

"People have a right to criticize this"...really? Like who is saying to remove free speech from people lol...yes people are free to do whatever they want...glad that is established.

The people who are buying this game are people that didn't own a WiiU and Mario fans, period. Me saying that doesn't mean that no one in the world can criticize anything Nintendo prices.
The Wii U could be a $300 box that had The Wonderful 101 inside with the disk drive welded shut and I'd still be more than pleased with my purchase. The Wii U's library wasn't huge but it hit way above its weight class in the number of all-time bangers in that small group.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The pricing is terrible but am I missing something who said new games weren't being made?
Are they? MK8D sold more last year than it did in 2017. Are they really going to be releasing sequels to DKC, NSMB, MK, and CT on the Switch in the future when these games seem to be selling millions and millions and millions of copies and fulfilling the role that would usually be held by a sequel specifically designed for the platform?

Who knows, maybe Nintendo will put out an MK9, DKC6, a NSMB5, and CT2 on the Switch in the next few years, but I would not hold my breath.

ckareset

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
The Wii U could be a $300 box that had The Wonderful 101 inside with the disk drive welded shut and I'd still be more than pleased with my purchase. The Wii U's library wasn't huge but it hit way above its weight class in the number of all-time bangers in that small group.
People say this but I feel like it's trying to justify the purchase than being objective. Wii u library honestly wasn't that different from any Nintendo library but with all time bad 3rd party support and less games

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
People say this but I feel like it's trying to justify the purchase than being objective. Wii u library honestly wasn't that different from any Nintendo library but with all time bad 3rd party support and less games
Depends how much you care about Nintendo exclusives. Personally in every console I've owned, I never had more than 20 games, I'm not a quantity guy. Some of the games I played in Wii U are among my favorites.

You know, I didn't have a wiiU so I will be IN eventually when I can spare the change.
I'm kinda jealous of all people going into this for the first time. I will boot my Wii U to get some tonight!

Nov 4, 2017
Oof, this old chestnut.

I'm kind of in the fence when it comes to full priced WiiU ports on Switch. I never owned a WiiU, so on one hand I'm stoked to have the chance to enjoy Mario Kart 8 DX, and I'd happily pay full retail for ports of Twilight Princess or Wind Waker HD. But when it comes to a port of a platformer, full price is hard to swallow. There's just no way something like DKTF or NSMBU cost as much to make as something like BotW or Mario Odyssey (edit: or MK8). $60 for a port of a cheap-to-make game feels a little insulting to me.

However, if you're super into platformers and are fine with the price, more power to you. Have fun!

Last edited:

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oof, this old chestnut.

I'm kind of in the fence when it comes to full priced WiiU ports on Switch. I never owned a WiiU, so on one hand I'm stoked to have the chance to enjoy Mario Kart 8 DX, and I'd happily pay full retail for ports of Twilight Princess or Wind Waker HD. But when it comes to a port of a platformer, full price is hard to swallow. There's just no way something like DKTF or NSMBU cost as much to make as something like BotW or Mario Odyssey. $60 for a port of a cheap-to-make game feels a little insulting to me.

However, if you're super into platformers and are fine with the price, more power to you. Have fun!

ahhh this old chestnut, equating production costs to the retail price of a product. Should Rockstar have charged significantly more than $60 for RDR2, considering it was one of the most expensive games ever made?

Nov 4, 2017
ahhh this old chestnut, equating production costs to the retail price of a game. Should Rockstar have charged significantly more than $60 for RDR2, considering it was one of the most expensive games ever made?
No, because it was clearly going to sell like crazy, thereby making its money back handily.

Troll harder.

Edit: also RDR2 will no doubt be crammed full of MTX soon (if not already, I don't play it). So the game isn't really just $60 anyway.

ckareset

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
No, because it was clearly going to sell like crazy, thereby making its money back handily.

Troll harder.

Edit: also RDR2 will no doubt be crammed full of MTX soon (if not already, I don't play it). So the game isn't really just $60 anyway.
This forum's insistence on calling people who disagree trolls is maddening.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017

The Wii U sold like shite. These ports are for the audience who never bought them. It's an easy move from Nintendo and the profits will go into new games for you to enjoy.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017

Which...is why they know they can port these games for full price...this is everyone's point who is buying this game.

Nov 4, 2017
lol

you definitely don't understand how the market works
Go on then, John Maynard Keynes; explain it to me. I'm honestly interested in reasons for why a port of an old platformer is worth $60. I get that for many people it's very much worth it and they're happy. I'm just saying that, FOR ME, $60 isn't a price I'm willing to pay for this title.
This forum's insistence on calling people who disagree trolls is maddening.
So... Leave? The dude just made a hugely mocking/dismissive post without actually providing any context or counter argument. But if that's just "disagreeing" to you, maybe you'd be more at home elsewhere?

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Never played either.

Switch is just sitting there.

I have GCU.

Picking this up tonight.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

You answered your own question there.

NSMB U Deluxe will sell 10 million copies at full price so why should they sell it for $40?

If you've already played it or don't feel it's worth the price then wait for a price drop (lol) or don't buy it and move on with your life.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Go on then, John Maynard Keynes; explain it to me. I'm honestly interested in reasons for why a port of an old platformer is worth $60. I get that for many people it's very much worth it and they're happy. I'm just saying that, FOR ME, $60 isn't a price I'm willing to pay for this title.

It's fine you aren't willing to pay $60 for this title. You made the argument retail price should be linked to development and production costs. Outside of things like cart costs, this is not how the entertainment industry as a whole determines price. You don't pay more for a standard ticket to see Infinity War because it cost hundreds of millions more to produce than the latest film from Quentin Tarantino.

Oct 26, 2017
Are they? MK8D sold more last year than it did in 2017. Are they really going to be releasing sequels to DKC, NSMB, MK, and CT on the Switch in the future when these games seem to be selling millions and millions and millions of copies and fulfilling the role that would usually be held by a sequel specifically designed for the platform?

Who knows, maybe Nintendo will put out an MK9, DKC6, a NSMB5, and CT2 on the Switch in the next few years, but I would not hold my breath.
If they're not working on sequels to those games, then they're working on either other IP or making new IPs. It's not as if they're sitting around and doing nothing. At the very least, if Nintendo is fine with making sequels on the same system for a 3D Mario, I don't see why that'd be an issue for 2D Mario, Donkey Kong, and Captain Toad, albeit I can see the latter being more of a one and done type of game that they don't plan to explore again

Krysuk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MarioU_Main_Screen.jpg

The fact you somehow never realised that the option labelled Challenges would lead you to Challenge Mode is Nintendo's fault...?
Play with Mii didn't exactly stand out as a great option - much like some of Kirby menu designs it just doesn't make sense to me to choose my game mode before I choose my save file? Anyway lesson learnt I guess (many years too late and as someone who was a full supporter of Wii u)

Krysuk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wut. There is a big bubble that says CHALLENGES on the main file selection screen.

Your inability to see the gigantic option for it is not Nintendo's fault, hahahahahaha.

Yep totally my fault, and also something many reviewers in retrospect have mentioned they didn't know about (inc Alex from nintendolife) still had fun with the main game and Luigi u back on release

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Oof, this old chestnut.

I'm kind of in the fence when it comes to full priced WiiU ports on Switch. I never owned a WiiU, so on one hand I'm stoked to have the chance to enjoy Mario Kart 8 DX, and I'd happily pay full retail for ports of Twilight Princess or Wind Waker HD. But when it comes to a port of a platformer, full price is hard to swallow. There's just no way something like DKTF or NSMBU cost as much to make as something like BotW or Mario Odyssey (edit: or MK8). $60 for a port of a cheap-to-make game feels a little insulting to me.

Games aren't simply priced in accordance to how much they cost to make. There are a lot of other factors involved there.

Granted, I am in the same boat that the only WiiU port I bought full price was MK8 but I had a WiiU and passed on TF and NSMBU so full price late ports dont work for me either.

But the assumption that cost of production should be reflected in sales price is flawed. The price charged is in relation to what the publisher believes will deliver maximum profit.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Wonderful 101 is one of my top 5 favorite games of all time and 3D World is up there with Galaxy as my favorite Mario game so I don't think I'm trying to justify anything. Breath of the Wild is in my top 10 too depending on if you want to count that.

I'm not saying the Wii U is the best library ever, or that it's better than many other Nintendo consoles — I'm just saying that for me personally it was EASILY worth the upfront cost for the 10ish games I really enjoyed on it.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
If they're not working on sequels to those games, then they're working on either other IP or making new IPs. It's not as if they're sitting around and doing nothing. At the very least, if Nintendo is fine with making sequels on the same system for a 3D Mario, I don't see why that'd be an issue for 2D Mario, Donkey Kong, and Captain Toad, albeit I can see the latter being more of a one and done type of game that they don't plan to explore again
I'm not sure Galaxy 2 9 years ago is really them being okay with making sequels to their evergreen games. I'm sure they are working on stuff for the Switch, I just don't think it's sequels to games people have been waiting 5-6 years for at this point, which is understandably a bummer.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure Galaxy 2 9 years ago is really them being okay with making sequels to their evergreen games. I'm sure they are working on stuff for the Switch, I just don't think it's sequels to games people have been waiting 5-6 years for at this point, which is understandably a bummer.
Well the Wii U had its life cut rather short and there was a lot of crossover in software between the Wii U and the 3DS, so there wasn't much room for sequels on the same system for a lot of series. If it's not sequels, which stuff like Mario Kart and whatnot are unlikely to receive, than they're at least working on something different. I mainly used Super Mario Galaxy 2 as an example because there's precedent for them doing so and, in this case, due to the likes of NSMBU and DKC: TF being ports, there's room for making a brand new 2D Mario or DKC as ports don't take much resources

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There's something so satisfying about the UI on the Wii U Mario games. Hope Nintendo returns to that style.