• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I'm kind of confused by the complaint that U Deluxe looks like Wii. I'm getting U Deluxe for the first time tomorrow and am looking forward to it, but I have seen this complaint come up a bunch of times. Looking at some review videos for U Deluxe, I decided to revisit Wii, and don't think they look alike, or at least no more alike than say 3 and 4 looks alike. Am I crazy and just can't see what everyone else does?

NSMBWcoins-lowres.jpg

large.jpg

I don't think many would succeed at this Pepsi challenge without some lucky guesswork.

SMB3 and SMW differ dramatically when it comes to asset design, music, power ups, enemy and stage gimmicks, visual aesthetic. There would be less confusion in a police lineup among most fans.

Deleted member 40853

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Kind of unfortunate that the response to this game has mostly revolved around the fact that it's an expensive port - as if those of us buying it aren't aware of that. I'm not sure how useful the discussion is when people who don't want to play the game just repeatedly tell those of us that do that we're getting ripped off or encouraging greedy Nintendo or whatever.

I have the game preloaded and ready to go, and I never played it on WiiU. I'm hyped for what everyone says is one of the best 2D Mario games. Sure I wish it was $40, but I'll pay $60 for mainline Mario. It's brand new to me and I'm going in blind.

When Nintendo ends up selling way more $60 copies of this game on Switch than WiiU are people still going to say it's overpriced? There is obviously an audience willing to pay what Nintendo is asking

Observation Platform

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Kind of unfortunate that the response to this game has mostly revolved around the fact that it's an expensive port - as if those of us buying it aren't aware of that. I'm not sure how useful the discussion is when people who don't want to play the game just repeatedly tell those of us that do that we're getting ripped off or encouraging greedy Nintendo or whatever.

I have the game preloaded and ready to go, and I never played it on WiiU. I'm hyped for what everyone says is one of the best 2D Mario games. Sure I wish it was $40, but I'll pay $60 for mainline Mario. It's brand new to me and I'm going in blind.

When Nintendo ends up selling way more $60 copies of this game on Switch than WiiU are people still going to say it's overpriced? There is obviously an audience willing to pay what Nintendo is asking

Nailed it friend. Sick of repetitive, low-effort whining in every Switch port thread, like everyone buying the titles are completely oblivious to their pricing and platform history on a game enthusiast site. As long as Nintendo can charge price premiums for first-party content on first-party proprietary hardware, they will. Move on.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Nailed it friend. Sick of repetitive, low-effort whining in every Switch port thread, like everyone buying the titles are completely oblivious to their pricing and platform history on a game enthusiast site. As long as Nintendo can charge price premiums for first-party content on first-party proprietary hardware, they will. Move on.
As long they do that, people will want to talk about it. If it's not interesting for you to discuss, you could always just not engage.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017

Newcomers will certainly have their hands full with a content rich game that will likely deliver more than enough entertainment for their dollars' worth at full retail price. No argument.

I do think it is a bit disingenuous to call out returning fans that are reasonably upset at being asked to pay full price for essentially the same game they already purchased 6 years ago with minimal enhancements. They do have the option to ignore this release certainly, but I don't think a discounted price tag given the circumstances surrounding this release is an unreasonable ask to enjoy the game again on modern hardware.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I wanted to play as Toadette, but I didn't know she was basically "easy mode" for this game :( Luigi or Toad, it is, then.

Deleted member 25712

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
As someone who missed the Wii U, give me all the Switch ports. I bought Mario Kart, Donkey Kong, and can't wait to play this.

Deleted member 24540

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
NSMBU is a great sidescrolling platformer + has an awesome challenge mode. The expansion pack Luigi U is top tier.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I wanted to play as Toadette, but I didn't know she was basically "easy mode" for this game :( Luigi or Toad, it is, then.
In NSMBU at least, her handicaps are pretty minor. It's a slightly easier experience with her, but she doesn't outright negate threats like Nabbit does. In NSLU you'll probably have to avoid her, since she'll add extra time to the timer and that does give you a significant advantage in those levels...

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As long as they do it I will continue to talk shit about them doing it.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Really do dislike the art style and the music, as mentioned by others, seems less-than-stellar.
Picked it up though, because it's been a long time since I had me some 2D Mario goodness.

herbchamberz

Oct 27, 2017
Uhhhh yeah let's fuckin go. I missed this one on the WiiU because, as the Polygon review says, this game really was the product of bad timing. Looking forward to it now, though - got some eShop bucks to spend.

Deleted member 40853

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Newcomers will certainly have their hands full with a content rich game that will likely deliver more than enough entertainment for their dollars' worth at full retail price. No argument.

I do think it is a bit disingenuous to call out returning fans that are reasonably upset at being asked to pay full price for essentially the same game they already purchased 6 years ago with minimal enhancements. They do have the option to ignore this release certainly, but I don't think a discounted price tag given the circumstances surrounding this release is an unreasonable ask to enjoy the game again on modern hardware.

Critics often discuss price/value, so of course a review thread is going to contain discussion about price.

I'm not calling out returning fans who feel shafted, or critics who want to talk about price vs value. I think those are legitimate gripes but they have been discussed to death at this point. Everything surrounding this game on Era is mostly about the price. This happens with literally every Switch port, there is nothing new to discuss and it just sucks all the air out of the room for people who want to discuss the actual video game instead of value propositions.

Just look at the people in this thread saying things like "as long as Nintendo does this I will complain" - what do you think you are adding here? This game is gonna sell millions of copies and be a top seller forever on Switch, Nintendo is not going to do anything becuase people on an internet forum think something is overpriced while they are selling it to millions of people. Again this happens in every single Switch port thread. We get it and everyone understands why people are upset. But if you don't like that Nintendo charges $60 becuase people are willing to pay $60 then you need to move on and leave the people who want to talk about the actual game alone.

It's just ridiculous to me that people want to declare this game overpriced because they personally aren't willing to pay for it. It looks like reviewers are even docking scores for that reason. When this game goes on to be a top seller year after year for Switch, which it will be, then the game is not overpriced. Something is not overpriced just because you personally don't want to pay for it, and the people in these threads who want to discuss the game don't need to hear everyone complain about to price of every single Switch port over and over in every thread. We all want cheaper video games, if you think this one is too expensive then move on.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Uhh...yes? I mean, by that logic scalpers reselling things at 10x the value is a fair price, because people are willing to pay for it?

People will inevitably lap up these years-old ports at whatever price Nintendo sets. That doesn't stop it from being a shitty practice.

Silverstoned

Dec 28, 2017
North California
Im getting this tomorrow.

I KNOW I'm a tool for it buy I had $15 game credit with amazon. Ive been hankering after some side scrolling action since NSMB on the DS. I completely skipped 3DS and Wii U. Because, well, you know.

I feel dirty.

Porco Rosso

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm excited to replay this. Full price is a bit of a bummer but I had some gold coins to knock it down and got those bonus gold coins for pre-ordering, so it numbs the pain a little bit.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
I realized yesterday that I never actually played NSMBU but there is no way in holy hell I'm paying $60 for it. LOL.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not calling out returning fans who feel shafted, or critics who want to talk about price vs value. I think those are legitimate gripes but they have been discussed to death at this point. Everything surrounding this game on Era is mostly about the price. This happens with literally every Switch port, there is nothing new to discuss and it just sucks all the air out of the room for people who want to discuss the actual video game instead of value propositions.

Just look at the people in this thread saying things like "as long as Nintendo does this I will complain" - what do you think you are adding here? This game is gonna sell millions of copies and be a top seller forever on Switch, Nintendo is not going to do anything becuase people on an internet forum think something is overpriced while they are selling it to millions of people. Again this happens in every single Switch port thread. We get it and everyone understands why people are upset. But if you don't like that Nintendo charges $60 becuase people are willing to pay $60 then you need to move on and leave the people who want to talk about the actual game alone.

It's just ridiculous to me that people want to declare this game overpriced because they personally aren't willing to pay for it. It looks like reviewers are even docking scores for that reason. When this game goes on to be a top seller year after year for Switch, which it will be, then the game is not overpriced. Something is not overpriced just because you personally don't want to pay for it, and the people in these threads who want to discuss the game don't need to hear everyone complain about to price of every single Switch port over and over in every thread. We all want cheaper video games, if you think this one is too expensive then move on.
Isn't that what the OT is for?

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
it just sucks all the air out of the room for people who want to discuss the actual video game instead of value propositions.
The OT is already up: https://www.resetera.com/threads/new-super-mario-bros-u-deluxe-ot-new-year-new-u.92222/

If you are worried about not being able to discuss this game without the price constantly coming up, don't worry. Most people complaining about the price aren't going to constantly do that in the OT.

So people should just shut up and not talk about it because nothing will change? That's ridiculous. If you don't like the discussion that is happening, you're not obligated to participate, nor are you forced to engage in the that discussion. You can just as well talk about how amazing World 3 of this game is or whatever. No one is stopping you from talking about the game.

Something selling well doesn't make it not overpriced. If you don't want to hear people complaining about the price of Switch ports, just put everyone who's doing it on ignore or whatever. Or just don't engage. Or just go to the OT. Like literally no one is stopping you from talking about the game. If people find the price discussion more interesting to talk about with this port in this review thread, where multiple reviews have mentioned the price because it is a legitimate point of criticism, then that should probably tell you something.

Dec 22, 2017
I see no problem with people calling out the "full" price on these minimum-effort Wii U ports. I am sitting this one out, but would have gladly shelled out $60 for an All-Stars style compilation.

For people who don't understand where the anger is coming from... 2D Mario is what made me a Nintendo fan back in 1988. It's still my favorite franchise and this game is what compelled me to buy a Wii U at launch. If you primarily buy Nintendo systems for Smash Bros and the only game in 5 years was a full priced port, you would be calling for heads too.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
Uhh...yes? I mean, by that logic scalpers reselling things at 10x the value is a fair price, because people are willing to pay for it?

People will inevitably lap up these years-old ports at whatever price Nintendo sets. That doesn't stop it from being a shitty practice.

Somehow nintendo had no problem selling GC games on Wii for 20 bucks years down the line or doing things like the prime trilogy.

Oct 26, 2017
Somehow nintendo had no problem selling GC games on Wii for 20 bucks years down the line or doing things like the prime trilogy.
Or even Wii games on the Wii U for $20, where many of them, at first, they were on sale for $10. When everyone else is offering more value for their older ports, many in collections or as remakes, it's not a good look

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017

I mean to be fair, barely any work is needed to move a game from GCN to Wii.

Nintendo actually has to put a decent amount of effort in to move a game from Wii U to Switch with it being different architectures and all.

I do agree that $60 is too much, though. Most of the Wii U ports should be around $40, imo.

MK8 is the only one released so far that felt like it deserved the $60 tag because of the revamped battle mode. Otherwise, most of these Wii U ports should be $40.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
I mean to be fair, barely any work is needed to move a game from GCN to Wii.

Nintendo actually has to put a decent amount of effort in to move a game from Wii U to Switch.

The amount of changes to games like jungle beat or pikmin 1+2 are pretty big. Id argue even more effort went into them than any wii u port so far.

In fact its really sad that blue toad is selectable in Deluxe but you still cant use him alongside yellow toad.

Massa

Oct 27, 2017
I actually pre-ordered this on the eShop despite owning the Wii U version (my Wii U is packed up and I have 4 joy-cons for multiplayer). The changes to multiplayer characters and spin button are making me seriously regret the purchase though. :/

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
The amount of changes to games like jungle beat or pikmin 1+2 are pretty big. What this barely any work argument. Id argue even more effort went into them than any wii u port so far.

In fact its really sad that blue toad is selectable in Deluxe but you still cant use him alongside yellow toad.

I edited my post to add more content. I don't really disagree that Nintendo is charging too much for their Wii U ports (particularly NSMB and DK:TF). I think a premium for these Wii U ports is justified; just not a $60 premium (except MK8D which fully is OK in my book costing $60 with the revamped battle mode).

Regarding Jungle Beat and Pikmin; that is true. They needed to rework the controls a lot, and I obviously don't have much game development knowledge so I can't really say what takes more work between revamping controls (GCN > Wii) and porting code between different architectures and even optimizing it (Wii U > Switch). I think the latter takes more work, but what do I know, heh.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017

I mean, if you don't want there to be price discussion, don't contribute to it. That's all you're doing. If you want to be talking about the game, do so. Don't criticize others for not doing it if you're not doing it either. And the same argument applies to you - if you think this one isn't too expensive then move on.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
Isn't that what you are doing here? Because, if you understand why people are ok with buying this game at full price, why are you talking to me?

No, I haven't judged anyone else's purchasing decisions. And I'm replying to you mainly because you replied to my post on the last page.

The WiiU was always a bad buying decision, that's not an opinion, it's a fact.

No, that is your opinion. I've already gotten my money's worth out of mine and will continue to do so. And I'll agree with you that there were definitely red flags going in: low number of unique launch games, questionable 3rd-party support at launch, uncertainty about whether the unique features of the system would be properly utilized. But the same red flags were true of Switch. Turns out it was a success, but that was in no way guaranteed. I think Zelda helped a lot.

I could argue further, but since this is already veering off-topic I'll stop...

...Actually, this thread reminded me that I barely played my copy on Wii U, so I've started playing it again. I do actually have a question for anyone who's played the new version: one of the things that disappointed me the most about the original version was that there are no leaderboards in Boost Rush. So I really have no idea whether my times are "good" or not. Also, many of the games with leaderboards allow you to view the top players' replays, so I would have loved to look at those for some pointers. These seemed like no-brainer features, but...well, not there.
Does Deluxe have leaderboards of any kind, or are they still missing?

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
The WiiU was always a bad buying decision, that's not an opinion, it's a fact. Like, you are acting like I am saying this is the perfect price and can't be disputed...that's

When a purchasing decision revolves around tastes and preferences, it has to be an opinion. It's not a fact. It's nowhere near a fact. Is the PS4 objectively good purchasing decision? Hell no. For a lot of people it will be, but it all depends on their preferences of games. Same thing applies to the Wii U and every other console that has ever existed.

Nothing is an objectively good buy because the reasoning behind a purchasing decision is inherently subjective.

Oct 29, 2017
Good game but didn't captivate me when I played it on Wii U. I REALLY hope they bring over Mario 3D World to Switch. I will insta buy that shit.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
Good game but didn't captivate me when I played it on Wii U. I REALLY hope they bring over Mario 3D World to Switch. I will insta buy that shit.

I think it's a given that Super Mario 3D World will come to Switch. They're just spacing out their releases a bit, so we haven't heard about it yet. The engine's already been ported (Captain Toad), and there are no Wii U-specific features that would be lost in the translation, so there's zero reason why not. I'd bet money that it's coming, and I'm not a betting man.

Super Mario Maker, on the other hand, I'm not so sure. They'd need to rework the control scheme entirely, so it's not a given that it's coming. It may, it may not, but either way, NSMBU had to come first.

Not sure. But I doubt it, especially with Boost Rush being gone.

Wait, they cut Boost Rush from the game? Any idea why?

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
When a purchasing decision revolves around tastes and preferences, it has to be an opinion. It's not a fact. It's nowhere near a fact. Is the PS4 objectively good purchasing decision? Hell no. For a lot of people it will be, but it all depends on their preferences of games. Same thing applies to the Wii U and every other console that has ever existed.

Nothing is an objectively good buy because the reasoning behind a purchasing decision is inherently subjective.

The same people vehemently complaining how evil Nintendo is for charging $20 more for a game than they think they should, bought a $300 system in 2012 that could only play at 720p and whose whole release window was flooded with full priced ports with even less upgrades than this game, and literally had 3 Nintendo games worth buying for almost a full year! Oh and the launch game was a certain 2D Mario that everyone seems to think is terrible, but you overpaid at least $100-$150 in order to have NSMBU, a Wind Waker port, and Pikmin 3 after the first 9 months?

Hypocrisy much? How can you say buying this NSMBU is a bad buying decision, but wasting over $100 to buy a WiiU that had almost no games...sorry but the WiiU had almost no redeeming qualities until 3D World came out.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
NSMBWcoins-lowres.jpg

large.jpg

I don't think many would succeed at this Pepsi challenge without some lucky guesswork.

SMB3 and SMW differ dramatically when it comes to asset design, music, power ups, enemy and stage gimmicks, visual aesthetic. There would be less confusion in a police lineup among most fans.

Are you trying to prove that it's impossible to tell these two games apart? Because the bottom game has a much more interesting background, more detailed tiles and the characters are all using power ups unique to the game. I reckon you shoulda gone with the sky world or something.