• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Peru
In the post of yours that I quoted you said those are "simply better games" than NSMBU. You don't expand on that at all, even in your other posts in this thread.
Tales of Vesperia is often considered one of the best Tales games so there's that.

Travis Strikes Again is the return of Suda51 to Directing so at least the story will be worthy.

Dragon: Marked for Death is made by the Megaman Zero team so as a fan of them and Inti Creates I want to support them.

There (Also, again, those games need more support than this one).

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Sort of surprised by the lowish scores.

There are people who hate this game just because it looked a more of the same of the previous entries, and now it's a 6 years-old re-release, or hate it for other little things like how chaotic it can get.

Some reviewer snubbed the original release for the same reason.

At the same time if you look at the contents, there's more value here than in other excellent platformers like Tropical Freeze due to the amount of stages and the variety.

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Ahhh why does it have to come out on the same day as Vesperia D:

I just know I'm gonna have to co-op this with my girlfriend until completion, Vesperia will have to wait.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I personally enjoy NSMBU but there's some rather baffling design decisions in this port. I don't understand why Toadette and Nabbit are mandatory multiplayer characters if you're playing with four people and why you can't toggle their handicaps off. Why can't all players play by the same rules?

This is a crazy decision. So weird!?

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Man, I can't believe some suckers are actually going to be duped into buying this *looks at calendar* almost seven year old game at full price. Wow, what morons would even... *already has preloaded on Switch-- is a moron*

You think every NSMBU level is "masterfully designed"? Lmfao.

That might be the case for Tropical Freeze but definitely not this shit.

I'd rather play the worst stage in NSMBU over another goddamn rocket level in TF.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
When does this drop?

Could you recommend some other platformers on switch that are better?
I'm gonna get NSMBUDX and I'm excited to play it for the first time so I'm not saying these are necessarily better, but here's all the great 2D platformers on the Switch:

Traditional
Tropical Freeze
Shovel Knight
Cave Story
VVVVVV
Super Meat Boy
N++
Celeste
Super Mario Bros. 3

Metroidvania
Hollow Knight
Toki Tori 2
Steamworld Dig 2
Axiom Verge

All these games come highly, highly recommended from me and any that you haven't played are easily worth a playthrough (with special props to Hollow Knight though, one of my top 10 favorite games of all time.)

Also I should add people swear by Dead Cells, so that's worth a look too although I could never get over the weak-feeling jump ;_;

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
Where do you think it stands in relation to other recent 2D platformers like Rayman Origins/Legends, Celeste, Donkey Kong TF, and Shovel Knight?

Those are all very different types of platformers.

The most comparable is DK TF. Aside from aesthetics, where everyone agrees NSMB fails, NSMB is excellent. Levels are well designed for speed runs with a high skill ceiling. NSLU in particular is fantastic.

The challenge mode in NSMB U is also fantastic.

The package shouldn't be 60, but any platforming fan should enjoy NSMB/NSLU

The_Ultima

User requested ban
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Germany
Looking forward to play the title for the first time and with my significant other. This looks like it´s going to be tons and tons of fun.
Too bad the scores do not exclusively reflect the title´s quality but for everyone who played the game years ago it´s understandable. There could have easily been a few more (new) stages/worlds added I think.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
At the same time if you look at the actual content, there's more value here than in other excellent platformers like Tropical Freeze due to the amount of stages and the variety.
Tropical Freeze has more variety with its level design in a single world than NSMBU has in its entire game. Having more stages doesn't make it have more value.

RetroCCN

Oct 26, 2017
I'll probably still pick it up but I just straight-up never enjoyed how these NSMB games played. They always felt slower and more...delayed compared to the original SMB titles. The best of the bunch for me was Super Luigi U. Though it still has the same awkward controls, at least that one offers a little more of a challenging experience for those of us who know the original games inside and out.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
There was literally no reason for them to remove Blue Toad and they did.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
As a person who bought almost all first party Wii U games, I can say this about NSMBU:
The game is on the boring side. I usually love all Mario games, but this one for some reason gave me sleep while playing.

4-player Mario 3D World and Mario Maker on the other hand, I played a lot of those. They're much better than NSMBU.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Tropical Freeze has more variety with its level design in a single world than NSMBU has in its entire game. Having more stages doesn't make it have more value.

Nah as a whole, Mario gives you more, the problem of NSMBU is that in 140 stages it's inevitable that certain elements are going to appear more than once.

While Tropical Freeze is a much shorter game but with new things in every world, it's a more polished experience.

By all accounts this is an objectively worse version

+ 1080p
+/- toadette replaces blue toad
- inability to do 4 player without someone having a handicap
- removal of gamepad content and challenges

NSMBU if you only plan to play single player is still the masterpiece it always was. The multiplayer which imo was the games biggest draw has been made objectively worse outside of a scenario where you have two inexperienced players who both need assist characters.
Unless I'm really misreading things in terms of features, challenges are still in the game, just minus whatever required the GamePad.

The multiplayer stuff is truly baffling, so that is worth dinging over the original.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
mandatory multiplayer nabbit is incredibly dumb, Nabbit is just too much that he can't even be a fun novelty, pure invincibility and infinite jumps.

A great game but not a port I'd bother with until Nintendo bring their selects range into the equation in like 3 years time so it finally drops in price.
For anyone who hasn't played it though, the combo of the original title and the Luigi DLC is worth it.

The mid air spin move and special moves no longer having its own dedicated button is fucking stupid.
well....that's also dumb.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Picked up from Amazon when it dropped to $46. Never had a Wii U so very much so looking forward to it. Don't think the style is lifeless at all. The earlier NSMB games, I can give you, but all videos and screens I've seen look vibrant.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Nah as a whole, Mario gives you more, the problem of NSMBU is that in 140 stages it's inevitable that certain elements are going to appear more than once.

and at least themed levels are grouped together correctly within the confines of the world map, unlike, say, the first handheld New! game.

for a game that's considered a stone-cold classic, SMW, for example, actually has pretty bad level theming.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Where do you think it stands in relation to other recent 2D platformers like Rayman Origins/Legends, Celeste, Donkey Kong TF, and Shovel Knight?

Personally

Rayman Origins/Legends - very stylistic games but not very fun to play imo, does offer four player (5 on wiiu with murphy) where it's at its best

Celeste - masterpiece of platforming, but single player, brutally difficult, and fairly short for the main campaign

TF - masterpiece of platforming, but only 2 player and can be fairly difficult at times, also some of the cart/rocket barrel levels can burn

Shovel Knight - fantastic retro platformer especially with the other campaigns as an option, main game is only 2 player multiplayer and it is comparatively really hard

NSMBU - fantastic platformer that is on the easier side, has the most content in the base campaign of all the games mentioned on this list (maybe the raymans have more but I never finished them), amazing 4 player experience, and of course this release has the dlc which doubles the games content

I think all of them are worth owning for different reasons (outside of Rayman)

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Unless I'm really misreading things in terms of features, challenges are still in the game, just minus whatever required the GamePad.

The multiplayer stuff is truly baffling, so that is worth dinging over the original.

My point is those gamepad challenges were removed and as far as I can tell weren't replaced by any new challenges that make use of peachette's abilities. You probably could have done some crazy challenge levels with a character as op as peachette.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Reviews seem apt for the game.

I think a lot of the praise for its release on Wii U is it was compared to NSMB2, the most lifeless Mario game ever made. Any platformer would look GOTY material when compared to NSMB2.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I enjoyed it on the Wii U but agree that it's one the weaker Mario games. However I will buy it one it's on sale for like 20€ or something.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Never played it on Wii U so I might pick this up, plus playing this on handheld mode must be a treat. I had a lot of fun with the original on the DS.

Nere

Dec 8, 2017
Already preloaded it because I never had a WiiU so I don't mind the full price. I am actually pretty excited for it.

My point is those gamepad challenges were removed and as far as I can tell weren't replaced by any new challenges that make use of peachette's abilities. You probably could have done some crazy challenge levels with a character as op as peachette.
I see your point, but NSLU didn't add anything Luigi-specific to the challenges despite his significant physics changes, and I don't think it was ever realistic that they were going to do something like that for Peachette. I think anything truly brand-new for 2D Mario is going to be saved for either a new straightforward 2D game or, knock on wood, a new Mario Maker entry.

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
These games are all rather different, so any ranking is going to be highly subjective. I loved Celeste for its and Rayman Origins, like Tropical Freeze a lot but dislike how weightedly DK generally controls and how long many levels are, find Shovel Knight too simplified to fully enjoy, and think Rayman Legends is largely a misfire in aesthetics and design compared to its predecessor.

For me, this game falls under Celeste and Origins, but above the rest. It has a lot of well designed single player content, including a fun challenge mode, and enjoyable multiplayer. That said, I think the Wii U version is likely to remain definitive, and would recommend that over this port, especially at that price. Needless to add, the graphics and music are not very enticing.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed it on the Wii U but agree that it's one the weaker Mario games. However I will buy it one it's on sale for like 20€ or something.

Strong disagree.

If it wasn't for the nsmb aesthetic, it would be almost unequivocally considered the best 2d mario.

That said, judging from this thread, it seems like this is a poor port and mostly inferior to the Wii u game, which is a massive blunder.

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
Ha, I'm pretty sure it was this along with no compatibility in Nintendo Land that convinced me not to bother with the Wii U pro controller. I was so relieved that support was better overall for the Switch pro, even if still not perfect (Snipperclips not having it for months, Pokémon Let's Go...)

Also bizarre with NSMBWii and U was the inability to play as anyone other than Mario in single player, thankfully something they've rectified here.

The experience I had at launch killed the little amount of hype there was for Wii U amongst my friends and family. Having to postpone a group gaming night to leave the console on overnight to get the day one firmware off of Nintendo's slow ass servers, each game choosing to have different controller options allowed, seemingly at random, etc. killed it dead.

ParanoidRED

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I honestly just got Rayman with the sale and i've yet to finish Tropical Freeze

This sounds like a skip to me

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To this day I can't justify spending full price for this. Especially considering stuff like Game Pass right now. I will definitely pick it up for some solo and 2-player action with my fiancé though, but I see no rush at this price. At 30 or so I'll bite, go go Amazon.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I see your point, but NSLU didn't add anything Luigi-specific to the challenges despite his significant physics changes, and I don't think it was ever realistic that they were going to do something like that for Peachette. I think anything truly brand-new for 2D Mario is going to be saved for either a new straightforward 2D game or, knock on wood, a new Mario Maker entry.

I think it was reasonable to assume/hope that the deluxe version of a game would add content, not subtract it. The last wiiu > switch deluxe version was Mario Kart 8 and that added characters and completely overhauled battle mode making 8 new tracks and several new modes. I supposed you can argue they removed the old battle mode but it's not like they cut it and replaced it with nothing. Heck even TF which wasn't a deluxe version kept the original game largely untouched and just added funky mode and funky kong.

By comparison NSMBUD added one new character and thats it. At the same time they removed another character, removed challenge content, and removed a game mode. They had already rereleased the game with the dlc included on wiiu so even that's not something new for this version. Obviously the game isn't broken like other remasters of this gen, but it is objectively worse then the original in all ways minus the resolution.

What's worse is most of the content they removed they could have easily kept in and it would have made the game better. Even the wiiu gamepad features could have easily been done on switch with a free eshop app for a second switch ala pac man vs.

CoinStarDX

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Poppin in to say that the Wah's that everybody hates for some reason started in Mario 64 thanks for coming to my ted talk.

Looking forward to playing the best 2D Mario this weekend.