• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who's the best player character?

• Mario

Votes: 307 40.9%
  • Luigi

Votes: 189 25.2%
  • Toad

Votes: 63 8.4%
  • Toadette

Votes: 166 22.1%
  • Nabbit

Votes: 71 9.5%

• Total voters

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
3.3 million units sold. Congratulations!!

Now I've just managed to complete All Star Coins in the main campaign. But nothing happens. No reward? No ending? I've got them all, every level, every Star Coin. All I got was a pop-up message. Is that it?

EDIT: I've only got 4 gold stars on my save file. Got 93 MARIO flags and all the white flags on my save file, so I'm missing something.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
3.3 million units sold. Congratulations!!

Now I've just managed to complete All Star Coins in the main campaign. But nothing happens. No reward? No ending? I've got them all, every level, every Star Coin. All I got was a pop-up message. Is that it?

EDIT: I've only got 4 gold stars on my save file. Got 93 MARIO flags and all the white flags on my save file, so I'm missing something.

You're missing a secret exit flag pole for 94 exits. You also have to catch Nabbit once in every world if you haven't.

And no you don't really get anything besides the message and unlimited toad house access (I guess the secret island which is just personal records).

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
You're missing a secret exit flag pole for 94 exits. You also have to catch Nabbit once in every world if you haven't.

And no you don't really get anything besides the message and unlimited toad house access (I guess the secret island which is just personal records).

I knew it had to be something to do with catching Nabbit.

Damn if I'm missing a secret exit then it's gonna be so hard finding out which individual level it is without playing through them all again. Unless I study the map for an imperfection.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Okay!!

I got my 94 Flag save file and 5 Gold Stars on my save!! I had to look at a complete map and compare it to mine to find the level that had my last secret exit. I'm happy about that!!

Now, onto New Super Luigi U, I've never played that before. Anybody done an All Star Coin run on that yet?

Oct 25, 2017
Okay!!

I got my 94 Flag save file and 5 Gold Stars on my save!! I had to look at a complete map and compare it to mine to find the level that had my last secret exit. I'm happy about that!!

Now, onto New Super Luigi U, I've never played that before. Anybody done an All Star Coin run on that yet?

Yeah. Star coins honestly don't feel too much harder than the main game since individual stages are a lot shorter. If you've been keeping up with how they design their hiding places then it should be easy to get a hang of where they are considering there's less real estate to work with.

There are a very few cases where you'll need to make a leap of faith or need a squirrel suit to reach a coin, but that's balanced by a fair few number of coins that they hand out like candy, especially near the end of stages. There's only one coin that comes to mind that I recall really not being able to figure out, but to be fair it was signposted with blocks/coins in a pattern being present or not.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Yeah. Star coins honestly don't feel too much harder than the main game since individual stages are a lot shorter. If you've been keeping up with how they design their hiding places then it should be easy to get a hang of where they are considering there's less real estate to work with.

There are a very few cases where you'll need to make a leap of faith or need a squirrel suit to reach a coin, but that's balanced by a fair few number of coins that they hand out like candy, especially near the end of stages. There's only one coin that comes to mind that I recall really not being able to figure out, but to be fair it was signposted with blocks/coins in a pattern being present or not.

Thanks for the info. Yes I did notice the shorter levels and so far all of the Star Coins are in plain sight. Are there as many secret exits compared to the standard game?

Oct 25, 2017
All of the secret exits happen in the "same" levels as they did on the original map, so that should cut out some of the guess work. Also that star coin I mentioned being hard to find earlier may have been a secret exit thinking back, haha.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
I'm playing through New Super Luigi U now and I've noticed the 8-bit pixel Luigi art that is found on some levels. On one level the art is placed next to a pipe that leads you to a Star Coin.

Does the each placement of pixel Luigi art indicate that a secret is there?

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Do the world map level icons change based on the secrets and collectibles you've found in each one?

I remember in most recent Mario games like this (mainly New Super Mario 3D Land and 3D World on 3DS and WiiU) I thought I remembered the level icons changing once you collected all the secrets in them. But so far for me, they're staing blue even when I collect the three star coins. So are there other secrets I'm missing? Or does the game just not track whether you've collected the three star coins?

Are there also rewards for completing each level with each character? Or is it just a matter of playing whichever characters I enjoy playing as the most?

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not feeling this game tbh. I cleared 5 worlds with all coins and it's insanely forgettable. The Mario Maker 2 story mode was easily the better campaign.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
I finally "beat" this game over the weekend and started going back to collect all star coins... didn't think I would have the patience or interest for the task until I thought of switching to Toadette, which makes it a much more pleasant experience for me.

I guess I should look into the Luigi campaign, too... maybe even Mario Maker 2 even though I'm not really interested in "making".