• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jhombus

Jul 23, 2020
Don't get me wrong, roguelite Mario would be rad, but I don't see how it seems any less handplaced than their usual level design. I think maybe it seems that way just because there's a lot of open areas around?

Hah, yeah, probably just wishful thinking on my part. The world doesn't seem that big, and the island layout could be a good way to construct things more modularly. Who knows!

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
Looks cool but I already 100% the original. So this fully depends on how much more new content there is. I'll wait for reviews. Looks promising though. If only I could buy it standalone separately..

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
oh lord, that looks awesome!

also: is the leftmost lightning bolt shaped like a cat? or am i going 🐈 crazy?
Mmm... maybe, right one too.

Edit:
cat1.jpg

cat2.jpg

LeMillion

Jun 9, 2020
Looks cool but I already 100% the original. So this fully depends on how much more new content there is. I'll wait for reviews. Looks promising though. If only I could buy it standalone separately..

I shamefully couldn't beat the final level of the original. It's the only 3D Mario game I haven't reached 100% in and I was all ready to reclaim my honor. Then today's trailer dropped and completely blew my mind!

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Very impressed by the trailer. Seems like they're going for a completely different concept. I already preloaded it because world is fun as hell but this will be a nice extra.

nenned

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if there will be biomes for each world in 3D World like a Grassy World biome, Desert World biome, Ice World biome, Cloud World biome, etc.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Did......did Mario just go Super Sonic?
Yup, Mario went Super Saiyan. Just like Sonic went Super Saiyan.

Deviantart and Newgrounds fanfic artists have been redeemed

lol the Mario Goku memes are flooding Twitter today and I love it.

Last edited:

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the exact opposite of everything I'd want from a 3D World expansion. A damn shame.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
"Why would they release this with 3D World"

Geez I dunno maybe to entice people who already played it to buy it again!? And it's not enough content to justify its own release?

Like, it's a bonus mode. They could have just released a straight port of 3D World and people who never played it would buy it, and people who already played it would maybe buy it. They include a new mode of whatever length to it to entice those who bought it on the Wii U, and it's a bonus for those who didn't. They did the same thing with the Mario + Luigi ports on the 3DS.

I don't think even Nintendo expects anyone to see Bowser's Fury as worth $60 by itself, it's the entire package that's worth $60. A 3D Mario title with a ton of content that not very many people played, plus Bowser's Fury. Releasing it as standalone software for people who have ZERO desire to play through 3D World again would be nice, absolutely, but that would probably defeat the purpose of using it as a carrot to get people to buy the entire thing again. Nintendo are a business, they want your money. There's no reason not to wait until it's cheaper or buy it used if all you want is the Bowser's Fury content, right?

So this is a separate thing completely? Same package - but two separate games? I'm so confused.
Yes. This is Super Mario 3D World, with Bowser's Fury as a new game added in as a bonus.

SuperSysom

Oct 27, 2017
Saudi Arabia
I have been watching the trailer dozens of times the past 6 hours... THIS is what I want from a 3D Mario with a sandbox level design approach. I didn't like Odyssey that much for multiple reasons and the biggest was that the level design felt bland and very basic with repetitive exploration and little to no platforming, and when platforming happens, it's under a pipe with basic soulless colored cubes that looks like it was made using Mario Maker 3D. Very little of them offered excellent platforming or interesting ideas and that disappointed me a little because Odyssey felt amazing to control and move around, but I needed to put these movement in action instead of 'exploring' wide areas with little interesting things to do. I know this isn't an odyssey thread so I won't go on that. Let's keep moving for now...

Back to the topic, I was happy with how Bowser's Fury looked like, an open-world yet dense with platforming and neat ideas! I hope 3D Mario titles moves in this direction because it satisfies both parties, as the level design is great and changes due to what currently is happening with Bowser, and the exploration and moving around between islands is great as well. What was shown in this trailer alone featured more pure platforming than what Odyssey offered me so I'm glad the focus on platforming and fun level design is back. Of course I haven't talked about how Bowser is REALLY intimidating!! Holy shit bowser is FUCKING PISSED!! I like the idea of him disrupting your exploration and gathering of these power suns or whatever they're called. I really hope that the battle between God-Slayer Bowser and Super Sayian Mario is a real boss battle and not a chase sequence (not that I mind the chase sequence type of boss battles, but they don't fit here imo). The soundtrack is really awesome here, from the joyful track in the beginning to the death metal orchestra bowser theme. Overall, even though we still know nothing on how BF will exactly play out, the trailer made way more excited than I should, but I don't care! The theory about Bowser's Fury being a rougelike really blows my mind, but I don't think it will happen... But if it did? that would be extra sick and something to play for so long! either way, less than a month to go and I really can't wait!!

wastingmyyouth

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 10, 2020
Great trailer. I hope the open world is zoned as others have suggested.

Also, the memes have been glorious. More please.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Ok where is that Japanese press-release? People keep mentioning God-Slayer Bowser but they never link or even screenshot the press-release.

The English one doesn't even mention any "Mega Fury Bowser", I'm starting to think it's bullshit.
I went searching the Japanese internet and didn't see any mention of "God-Slayer Bowser". Most places are just referring to it as giant bowser. If someone finds it, let me know, but right now I don't think it's real.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bowser's Fury looks like what Mario Odyssey should have been, a 3d Mario PLATFORMER, not collect-a-shrug.

jungomitis

Apr 8, 2020
I shamefully couldn't beat the final level of the original. It's the only 3D Mario game I haven't reached 100% in and I was all ready to reclaim my honor. Then today's trailer dropped and completely blew my mind!

Me too! My patience with the Wii U hardware did not last the amount of attempts I needed to beat the final level.
Maybe I'll go give it a try one day... or I'll just replay the whole game on Switch

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
"Why would they release this with 3D World"

Geez I dunno maybe to entice people who already played it to buy it again!? And it's not enough content to justify its own release?

Like, it's a bonus mode. They could have just released a straight port of 3D World and people who never played it would buy it, and people who already played it would maybe buy it. They include a new mode of whatever length to it to entice those who bought it on the Wii U, and it's a bonus for those who didn't. They did the same thing with the Mario + Luigi ports on the 3DS.

I don't think even Nintendo expects anyone to see Bowser's Fury as worth $60 by itself, it's the entire package that's worth $60. A 3D Mario title with a ton of content that not very many people played, plus Bowser's Fury. Releasing it as standalone software for people who have ZERO desire to play through 3D World again would be nice, absolutely, but that would probably defeat the purpose of using it as a carrot to get people to buy the entire thing again. Nintendo are a business, they want your money. There's no reason not to wait until it's cheaper or buy it used if all you want is the Bowser's Fury content, right?

That all sounds good on paper, but the logic falls apart for a couple of reasons. Largely, there is no need for them to attach this to 3D World for it to sell. They've already proven they can port over titles with minimal additions and still have it sell incredibly well. It's a 3D Mario title that's going to be new to the majority of people, not some random RPG spin-off that a fraction of the regular audience cares about, and Nintendo fans are notorious double dippers so this game didn't 'need' anything.

Secondly, and the part that seemed to maybe go over your head in relation to some of the reaction, was that this trailer didn't really do much of a job explaining what this is to begin with. You call it a 'bonus mode,' but there's nothing here to indicate it's just a bonus mode. It seems like it's being treated as its own standalone thing, and it's not even clear if the co-op aspect of the main game is even part of it, and it also looks to play vastly different than 3D World. That's mainly what has confused people as to the nature of the expansion, not so much a 'why put this with 3D World' in the financial sense. Anybody can figure that out lol. I think it's more about the lack of clarifying details about what it is. That may have been what Nintendo wanted, too, who knows, maybe they want to have some shroud of mystery over it for marketing reasons. But it's less the confusion about the why and more about what that I think people are perplexed by.

GVG Analysis

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
www.youtube.com

Deep Dive - Bowser's Fury Gameplay Trailer Analysis (Super Mario 3D World)

Nintendo has finally revealed what to expect from the new Bowser's Fury mode in the Switch port of Super Mario 3D World and it looks amazing! But what is the...

Feel that this deserves its own topic especially under the current circumstances that people may not know where Derrick is at now.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
This is making me hope that's the direction for future marios. A giant open world full of platforming everywhere, kinda like a mario 3d land/world/galaxy but with every level in the same seamless world.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Great to see Derrick doing what he enjoys without some crazy pressure from a above. GVG slowly expanding the mind of videos they release is exciting.