• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This could still be a roguelike

the giant bell in center has to be unlocked by collecting the cat symbols

im guessing you have a certain amount of time to do this before bowser awakens, once he does awaken your job of unlocking the giant bell becomes more difficult

if you die before you unlock the giant bell you have to start over

that's my analysis of the trailer
posting this again since thread has slowed down

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Aw, I was really hoping that Bowser Jr. would be playable for a moment

Still, this looks incredible. Was already planning on double dipping but now I'm even more excited to do so

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This definitely looks like the roguelike described. I imagine these lion stars or whatever are randomly placed in the level, you're racing against the timer for Bowser to spawn, if you don't get them all before he does you have to deal with his crap, once you finally get them you grow and fight him. I just hope there's enough variety between runs.

correojon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This looks like Super Mario 3D Sunshine: The water, Bowsy Jr. with the paintbrush, the hidden secrets in the walls...

Trrzs

Oct 29, 2017
l0klhhL.png
Wait... Toad has a blue cat suit, the Rosalina's one is black, Luigi has green, Peach color is pink but it's missing in the picture and that red cat is new... PAULINE CONFIRMED.

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
I guess Goku is gonna end up in Smash after all.

(I bet I'm the first to make this joke.)

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
I'm actually not interested in the super saiyan cat thing

the scenes where it showed regular mario running away from bowser coupled with the great art of mario staring down bowser made me think that we'd find a way to beat bowser shadow of the colossus style since the saiyan cat is most likely gonna be gimmicky

JJH

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
SM3DW is the only 3D Mario I haven't played. How's the MP? Looking for something new to play with my 7 year old.

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Wasn't that rogue-like comment just a joke post?

And I don' think this is really built upon a rogue-like. Comparison seems kind of forced.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't expect to be so hyped by the tonal shift. When I was a kid (in my mid thirties now) reaching Bowser at the end of a Mario game was a huge moment: What would he look like? How scary would it be? Will I be able to beat him?

Walk through that last big red door and:

maxresdefault.jpg

Beat-Bowser-in-Super-Mario-World-Step-17.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

OH SHIT LET'S GOOOOO

But then starting with the Wii his appearance got way more predictable:

Masthead_Bowser.17345b1513ac044897cfc243542899dce541e8dc.9afde10b.png

Which is totally fine... for a game or two. The Galaxy games still managed to make a clownish model intimidating.

But by the time I scaled a cathedral on the moon and traveled across the planet to face an epic monster, and was met with...

bowser-mario-odyssey.png

.... that.

I just can't feel THE HYPE of a final boss fight. Some of that adventure is replaced with a comedy cartoon. Fine for many, but I want to recapture that epic adventure feel.

And while Bowser's Fury might be a little too hard a swing into the epic (did Bowser have a six pack?) it was still pretty cool to see a new, scary version of this old dragon.

But surely i wasn't the only one who started hearing "OPPPEN YOUR HEEAAARRRRTTT..." at that final showdown between Super Mario and Perfect Bowser:

d9izthg-0075c347-e12d-4a0b-a605-c64b928ccbb1.png

Did you not play 3D world? The final Bowser level was so hype in that!

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
So the trailer still didn't really show much. Before the announcement today, I think most of us would have theorized that this was going to be kind of a more open world Mario similar to 64/Sunshine/Odyssey based on the level tease., and the trailer today showed that.

But how large is this area? Is this 10+ hours of extra content in addition to 3D World, or 2-3? Everything shown seems to take place in this one landscape, so it's hard to determine just how substantial BW is.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
Does bowsers fury have 4 player coop like the main game? Seems weird they didn't really show off that aspect.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
3D World is such an amazing Mario game already, up there with the greats (2D or 3D)... playing it multiplayer was one of my most fav experiences in ALL of gaming.

A new chance, amazing looking new content, cat Amiibo, I'm so happy. This looks SO GOOD!

TanookiTom

Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
I am surprised at how much I am digging the metal/hard rock theme in that trailer - great match!

Also the new content seems very promising. I played this game on WiiU back when it came out (and never again) and while I generally lost more and more interest in Mario games (I thought Odyssey was good but not amazing) I actually think I can say that 3D World was my favorite Mario game since Mario Galaxy. Probably gonna pick this up :3

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
So the trailer still didn't really show much. Before the announcement today, I think most of us would have theorized that this was going to be kind of a more open world Mario similar to 64/Sunshine/Odyssey based on the level tease., and the trailer today showed that.

But how large is this area? Is this 10+ hours of extra content in addition to 3D World, or 2-3? Everything shown seems to take place in this one landscape, so it's hard to determine just how substantial BW is.
It honestly looks to me like something you blaze through in 30 minutes to an hour or so. The areas seem to be connected by trips on the back of Dorrie, and it seems like one big level with a Bowser boss fight at the end.

I hope I'm in the wrong with this since this looks incredible and I'd love for it to be 5-10 hours long, but even though it's open, it doesn't look like a level/world you're gonna spend 10 hours in.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The physics engine for Odyssey is significantly different to 3DW. It's fully momentum based, and Mario himself has more movement options. 3DW also isn't designed for 3D movement - SMO is designed purely for it.

3DW's engine wouldn't work for more open levels, but this engine looks different.
clearly, we are using two definitions of "engine" here

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It looks really cool but this is probably the most I wanted Nintendo Direct man to give a bit more of a explanation of what I just watched and what makes this thing so cool

Oct 27, 2017
How much more info do you need right now? Game is a month out and this trailer gave a good overview of the expansion. Just wait a few days until the website updates or more info comes out via press previews

Can guarantee that Nintendo spelling out exactly what it is would get people riled up for spoiling it too much. People seem to whinge either way

It looks good , but I wouldn't saw that anyone really knows what this thing is. Nintendo isn't even spelling out what it is. They could have literally released this with an overview with context. There's no context for anything here.

It's not unreasonable at all to know what you're actually looking at. And yes, it's a month out, and we went from knowing nothing to a bunch of things incoherently.

It looks really cool but this is probably the most I wanted Nintendo Direct man to give a bit more of a explanation of what I just watched and what makes this thing so cool

Exactly.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
For everything this trailer showed, it kinda didn't show enough - I want to know what changed in the original 3D World.
I guess they had to modify the Captain Toad segments in a way? You can do the dive in mid air now - is that on the same button as picking stuff up on the ground so that one got de-coupled from the run button? That would make multiplayer finally playable without being completely chaotic.

JJH

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury OT: Bowser's Fury, Mario's Furry

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
For everything this trailer showed, it kinda didn't show enough - I want to know what changed in the original 3D World.
I guess they had to modify the Captain Toad segments in a way? You can do the dive in mid air now - is that on the same button as picking stuff up on the ground so that one got de-coupled from the run button? That would make multiplayer finally playable without being completely chaotic.
Would be nice if they add 2 or 3 more crown worlds to the 3D world part

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
I was planning to skip this one, having already played 3D World on Wii U, but now Bowser's Fury has me hyped.

I was just expecting a level pack for 3D World, not a full-on Galaxy style game.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
It looks fun obviously. But I'm not sure yet. I expected more 3D World levels but this looks more like Odyssey style gameplay without the hat. They didn't even show other characters or multiplayer which makes me worry that it's a Mario campaign only? I really would have preferred more 3DW linear levels with 45° design. This could have been an expansion for Odyssey. A special Worlds Collide expansion with a new Cat world.

I'm intrigued. But not completely sold yet.I want to know how much more content there is before I decide. I'll wait for reviews.

I haven't bought any Deluxe games yet. I own them all on Wii U and haven't seen enough changes to justify spending the money to double dip. If they put them all on sale for $30 I'd probably buy them all digitally just to have them all on Switch.

that said I could totally go for a third play through of 3D World TBH.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I dig this, but ugh @ it being attached to 3D World. I'm not paying full price for probably no more than 5 hours of extra content.

Hell, I wouldn't even get it at half price. Not that it will ever have a meaningful sale, anyway.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Would be nice if they add 2 or 3 more crown worlds to the 3D world part

That would be nice - to be honest I never played through the whole game. Played it in co-op completely and we put it down somewhere around the park I think. So there's still new stuff for me to explore in here anyways.

For me it's more important that they better the core gameplay.

Oct 28, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Doesn't say that in the press release from Nintendo of Canada I received.

VANCOUVER, BC., Jan. 12, 2021 – Throughout 35 years of Super Mario Bros. history, Mario has used power-ups to transform countless times, from Fire Mario to Tanooki Mario to Bee Mario and beyond. But the moment has finally arrived for Mario to assume a fearsome new feline form. He'll need all the help he can get, since Bowser has become gargantuan and lost all control!

God-Slayer Bowser???!

JimNastics

Jan 11, 2018
I dig this, but ugh @ it being attached to 3D World. I'm not paying full price for probably no more than 5 hours of extra content.

Hell, I wouldn't even get it at half price. Not that it will ever have a meaningful sale, anyway.

Yep pretty much me.... thought 3D World was ok on the Wii U, and I still have my Wii U hooked up if I ever want to replay it again (unlikely). But would absolutely love to play this Bowser's Fury having seen it now, much more my kind of Mario game.