• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So there was a bunch of deleted text about this album released early, and while I won't post everything from that snippet... this being Sufjan's first proper pop album/Janet Jackson inspired bit has me most excited. Some of the text reads like this is a break up record though, hopefully not biographical because him and his boyfriend are adorable together.

Sufjan Stevens making a more focused pop album is everything. Charli XCX is/was also making a Janet inspired album. 2020 is truly the year of the gays. Interesting that the album art is from a 2009 photo shoot in Chicago, the promo art is from this year. He's age gracefully.

dU1USp2.png

LytIZgf.png

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
So there was a bunch of deleted text about this album released early, and while I won't post everything from that snippet... this bit has me most excited. Some of the text reads like this is a break up record though, hopefully not biographical because him and his boyfriend are adorable together.

Sufjan Stevens making a more focused pop album is everything. Charli XCX is/was also making a Janet inspired album. 2020 is truly the year of the gays. Interesting that the album art is from a 2009 photo shoot in Chicago, the promo art is from this year. He's age gracefully.

dU1USp2.png

LytIZgf.png
Asthmatic Kitty was bummed about that text leaking:

I know this is a huge ask but I wonder if I humbly ask you to delete this. This is such early text and our distributor leaked it. We're really angry about it. I know deletion views exist but I wonder if you wouldn't mind holding this to yourself for a bit.

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Asthmatic Kitty was bummed about that text leaking:

Oh damn, good to know. Took out the actual text but the context of this being his first proper pop album and Janet Jackson inspired is still important to know. I see a bunch of people expecting Carrie & Lowell pt.2 and should readjust expectations with that. I don't expect this to be anything like C&L.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh damn, good to know. Took out the actual text but the context of this being his first proper pop album and Janet Jackson inspired is still important to know. I see a bunch of people expecting Carrie & Lowell pt.2 and should temper expectations with that.
Oh yeah, people are interpreting "follow-up to C&L" the wrong way. It just means it's his first album since then, not that it's a sequel.

maruchan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
What I like about of age of adz into Carrie & Lowell is how the last 3 mins of imposible soul fits seem less with the first track of c&l

Oct 25, 2017
I'm also seeing a ton of people assuming Run Away With Me is a Carly Rae cover, and while that would be insane... I just don't think that is realistic.
It is interesting though, because there are also tracks called Video Game (Lana Del Rey?) and Landslide (Fleetwood Mac), so who knows.

I guess the LDR track is actually called Video Games, so maybe not.

Tanston

Nov 29, 2017
If it's more pop focused I wonder if it will be stylistically similar to those stand alone singles from last year Love Yourself/With My Whole Heart

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
God I'm pretty fucking ready for this.

I first got into Sufjan fairly recently after his two tracks on Call Me By Your Name, proceeded to consume his entire discography in short order.

Predatory Wasp is and will always be an absolute masterpiece.

I was iffy on Carrie and Lowell initially, because it's by far the heaviest album I've ever heard. I remember listening to Fourth of July and just being like "Jesus, how does anyone get into such a dark spot?"

Then in the past two months my boyfriend died suddenly and my mom died from cancer and I truly don't know if any album in my life has ever made such perfect emotional sense as C&L after that. It's basically been all I've listened to.

Been waiting on the next big entry from him, and now's as good a time as any I guess.

Bring on the gay and sadness.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
If you missed out on the 12" America single, it seems to still be in stock on Bull Moose. Supposedly the single is limited to 1500 copies worldwide which seems insane.

Thanks for this- first two places I looked didn't have the clear vinyl in stock, and this place did.

Can't wait for September to hear this! Carrie and Lowell is fantastic but just too sad for me to ever regularly willingly want to listen to it. Illinois will forever be in my top ten.

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for this- first two places I looked didn't have the clear vinyl in stock, and this place did.

Can't wait for September to hear this! Carrie and Lowell is fantastic but just too sad for me to ever regularly willingly want to listen to it. Illinois will forever be in my top ten.
Fair warning, I think Bullmoose is overselling it and you aren't guaranteed a copy. Everywhere else has been sold out for hours but they're still selling.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
Fair warning, I think Bullmoose is overselling it and you aren't guaranteed a copy. Everywhere else has been sold out for hours but they're still selling.

Well dang! No big deal, generally don't care what the actual discs look like but hey, clear is nice! If they cancel my order I'll post back in this thread as a heads up.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Very excited. Stevens is easily my favorite musician/group still working today.

Illinois is a fucking masterpiece and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

Pookmunki

Oct 27, 2017
Okay bro. You got me. You're only my favorite music artist of all time. He released Carrie and Lowell the same time my mother died of cancer so that album and I are bonded for eternity.
I had quite literally the exact same experience - C&L was on repeat on my daily commute to visit her in palliative care before she died.

Blah

Oct 26, 2017

Landlocked Records said the clear vinyl is just the US indie shop version, so it shouldn't be too hard to find in the states as more indie shops put theirs up. Which is good news since everything was selling out quick online this morning.

http://store.landlockedmusic.com/product/sufjan
https://endofanear.bigcartel.com/product/sufjan-stevens-the-ascension
(for example)

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, Sufjan is turning 45 tomorrow. He still seems so young, even with the gray hair starting to sprout.

Resetti

Oct 25, 2017
LytIZgf.png
Also, Sufjan is turning 45 tomorrow. He still seems so young, even with the gray hair starting to sprout.

Uh.....HOW IS HE 45?!?!

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Song is out early on Bleep, I downloaded America and My Rajneesh.
https://bleep.com/release/195939-sufjan-stevens-america

This is definitely synth and drum machine focused. Sufjan's vocals are slightly different than what I'm used to, more reminiscent of his style in Sisyphus. My Rajneesh has a cool Age of Adz throwback moment, if you listened to that album.

This is an album closer and sounds as such. Not really indicative of what to expect from the more pop/dance tracks that are expected from this album. It's familiar Sufjan though, so I can see why he picked it as a lead single.

maruchan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I want to preorder the clear lp, but I want know there won't. A special 4lp super duper edition later on. Also he has grado sr-80 he's an audiophile lol

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want to preorder the clear lp, but I want know there won't. A special 4lp super duper edition later on. Also he has grado sr-80 he's an audiophile lol

Doubtful. There's never been giant limited editions of his main albums, outside of the big Xmas box set, just the slightly different color variants.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
yeah but it wasnt funny ten years ago when he already stopped

and it still wasnt funny the fourth time it was brought up in this thread

i dont get it
Well I never my jokes were good!

I'm looking forward to this album anywho. His music always takes me back and the man puts in work. Which is why many were dismayed when he scrapped the project.

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
big Age of Adz vibes around 6 min mark

Yeah, it does but I think context about the song is important. This is the closing track. The track before is the title track, which from some leaked text from the record label, features no beats and has a tone change in the album... and leads into America. I think the rest of the album is going to sound slightly different. It was produced primary with synths and drum machines.

Deleted member 69573

Banned
May 17, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
God I want this to be more Adz or Delighted People esque as I didnt really care for the direction he was taking with Carol, but not holding my breath. The artwork above gives me a small bit of hope though.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I just don't think Sufjan is good at electronic music. Would much rather he go C&L or Illinois.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't think Sufjan is good at electronic music. Would much rather he go C&L or Illinois.

Love Sufjan, and think I agree. Still enjoy Age of Adz and he definitely has a style to his electronic music but he has a lot of other styles that I think he just does better.

6 min to the new song and if you had told me this came from Age of Adz I'd believe you, for better or worse.

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017
Almost certainly a conicidence since Sufjan isn't Catholic and it's a critical song of America so releasing right before July 4th makes sense. But today is the feast of St. Thomas the Apostle, "Doubting Thomas".

In fact the Gospel reading has the following line:

Then he said to Thomas, "Put your finger here and see my hands,
and bring your hand and put it into my side,
and do not be unbelieving, but believe."

Which is directly referenced by America with the lyric:

"I have put my hands in the wounds on your side".

As for the sound Age of Adz is my favorite and I love all his electronic projects over his more acoustic/folk stuff. As such I'm really excited to here the B-Side.

Last edited:

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
I'm excited for more, whether it's electronic or folksy, but aren't we over due for more Christmas music??

pavaloo

Oct 25, 2017
I love Suf's Adz style and excited to hear its return after he stripped down production of his last album.