• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
pitchfork.com

Sufjan Stevens Announces New Album The Ascension

Stay tuned for the 12-minute lead single “America” this Friday

Sufjan Stevens has announced a new album. Billed as the follow-up to Carrie & Lowell, The Ascension comprises 15 new songs from the singer-songwriter and comes with a 16-page booklet of his drawings. It's out September 25 on Asthmatic Kitty. The 12-minute lead single, "America," is out Friday. Check out the tracklist and Sufjan-designed cover art below.

Track Listing:

01 Make Me An Offer I Cannot Refuse
02 Run Away With Me
03 Video Game
04 Lamentations
05 Tell Me You Love Me
06 Die Happy
07 Ativan
08 Ursa Major
09 Landslide
10 Gilgamesh
11 Death Star
12 Goodbye To All That
13 Sugar
14 The Ascension
15 America

WJRWfA9.jpg

Oct 30, 2017
C&L is too sad bastard for me. It's beautiful and haunting, but it isn't what I describe enjoyable music. Still plan to give this a spin once it releases.

Oct 25, 2017
SO excited for this.

I think I missed out on the 12" single, but I was able to get a pre-order for the clear vinyl on Rough Trade.

Tanston

Nov 29, 2017
This is very exciting. I wonder if it will be more C&L or more Age of Adz or more like the state albums or something else entirely. Knowing him it will probably be something else entirely.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
Finally! I didn't love most of C&L so for me it feels like almost a decade since his last big project. Can't wait

OP
OP
SteveWinwood

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
This is very exciting. I wonder if it will be more C&L or more Age of Adz or more like the state albums or something else entirely. Knowing him it will probably be something else entirely.
it says its a follow up to C&L but i dont know if they mean literally as in its following it or if its similar stylistically

the track listing has some really odd references to other pop music and pop culture so im not really sure how thats going to fit in with the somber and serious mood of C&L

so something else entirely is a pretty fair bet

im sure it will be quality no matter what

Oct 30, 2017
it says its a follow up to C&L but i dont know if they mean literally as in its following it or if its similar stylistically

the track listing has some really odd references to other pop music and pop culture so im not really sure how thats going to fit in with the somber and serious mood of C&L

so something else entirely is a pretty fair bet

im sure it will be quality no matter what
you get only 2 types of track titles from this guy.

you either get one word meditations like "Ativan" or you get a short story like:

"The Black Hawk War, or, How to Demolish an Entire Civilization and Still Feel Good About Yourself in the Morning, or, We Apologize for the Inconvenience but You're Going to Have to Leave Now, or, 'I Have Fought the Big Knives and Will Continue to Fight Them Until They Are Off Our Lands!'"

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Uh oh. There's a track called Video Game. Also, you all are making me realize there is a lot of Sufjan Stevens I never got around to.

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
C&L is in my top 10 of all time, so I'm really excited. And if it's anything like the tracks he did for Call Me by Your Name, it will be another amazing album.

Surprisingly, Illinois doesn't hold up as well as I remembered. I prefer stripped down Sufjan.

Oct 27, 2017
Dude made a random-ass Illinois holiday into an all-time gut punch song about grief. I fully expect "Death Star" to somehow wind a reference to Star Wars into a brutal anecdote about childhood and loss. Or it could be 23 minutes of laser noises and vintage synths. Such is the Sufjan experience.

OP
OP
SteveWinwood

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Uh oh. There's a track called Video Game. Also, you all are making me realize there is a lot of Sufjan Stevens I never got around to.
hes got a lot of fun side stuff he's done

heres a techno classical collection about the solar system and heres a ten part ballet soundtrack

how about a new age album inspired by enya and blade runner he made with his step dad

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man. I was born/raised in Eugene, Oregon and had no idea what Carrie & Lowell was about when it came out. One of the cooler feelings/emotions I've had taking in music. That record dials me into my youth and memories like nothing else.

Incredibly excited for what's next.

Oct 25, 2017
If you missed out on the 12" America single, it seems to still be in stock on Bull Moose. Supposedly the single is limited to 1500 copies worldwide which seems insane.

SeroTyler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I adored Carrie and Lowell(especially the live version), but I need this to be like Age of Adz.

laikalot

May 30, 2020
Another Sufjan album with no studio recording of Majesty Snowbird on it. One day, one day.

ultraluna

Jun 3, 2020
Oh shit, Sufjan is one of my favorite composers. The live Carrie and Lowell album is a masterpiece, I hope this one's on the same level (didn't really care for Aporia).

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
But Carole and Lowe could be unofficially called Oregon. He even says that. I agree age of adz 2

Yep. He talked about doing an Oregon record for years, and then the album talks a lot about his time in Eugene along with references to Tillamook, the Rogue river, Painted Hills, Portland, the Dalles, etc.

www.dailyemerald.com

Here’s every Oregon reference on Sufjan Stevens’ new ‘Carrie & Lowell’

Sufjan Stevens has strong personal ties to Oregon. Between the ages of five and eight, he summered in Oregon with his mother Carrie and his stepfather Lowell Brams. Their names

And don't forget The Lord God Bird he did for Arkansas through that NPR project.

Last edited:

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Sufjan Stevens is probably my favorite artist.

One of my favorite (and imo, underrated) songs of his:

ejoshua

Oct 27, 2017
Okay bro. You got me. You're only my favorite music artist of all time. He released Carrie and Lowell the same time my mother died of cancer so that album and I are bonded for eternity.

Nyrad

Oct 27, 2017
He's my favorite Artist and this announcement in my inbox made this week for sure. I hope the sound is a bit more like Age of Adz than Carrie & Lowell since Age of Adz which was a transformative experience for me. I never heard music like that before, can't believe it has been 10 years now...

I also hope he's gonna go on tour in 2022 or after. I flew from Austria to Berlin and a few years later to Paris just to see him perform Carrie & Lowell/Planetarium and both were amazing experiences well worth the price and time.

We should make this an OT :D

Last edited: