• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If you could it wouldn't be forever. Look at the chart

flat,1000x1000,075,f.u2.jpg

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
i assumed it was a sphere because when a thing explodes it tends to blow stuff away in every direction of it

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Closed universe means a finite universe. You can travel in one direction and end up exactly where you left.

It's the same as a round earth.

This is good news. This means that there isn't an exact copy of you out there somewhere plotting your death.
Maybe if it were just our solar system. But the universe is massive and has other solar systems. Our solar system isnt the centre of the universe. There can still be another you plotting your demise

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
As I understand this, it's less about being flat like a pancake and more about having non-Euclidean topology in 3-space-- and that if you were to go on for long enough, you'd end up back where you started.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
While that is the implication, it's more simply put if you place a universe sized triangle and see whether the sum of interior angles is less or greater than 180 degrees. Or if you shoot a photon, whether it will keep going in a straight line.

TwinBahamut

Jun 8, 2018
i assumed it was a sphere because when a thing explodes it tends to blow stuff away in every direction of it
The Big Bang was not an explosion. It was the beginning of the process of the expansion of space, which continues to this day. Basically, it is important to not think of the Big Bang as the movement of matter into pre-existing space, but rather as something more resembling the slow filling of a balloon, with all of the universe being located on the surface of the balloon.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere there's a hyper-advanced alien species laughing at us for being Flat Universers.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
IIRC:
A flat universe means that if you shoot 2 parallel beams, they'll always stay parallel no-matter how far they go. (assuming we're not taking gravity into account)
A curved universe means that those beams would either start curving inwards or outwards at some point.

It has nothing to do with the actual "shape" of the universe, which is an expanding sphere.

Quite an interesting discovery if is indeed true.

Oct 27, 2017
Who actually thought it was flat?
Most people and scientists who currently exist. This doesn't mean flat in the literal sense.

See below:
As I understand this, it's less about being flat like a pancake and more about having non-Euclidean topology in 3-space-- and that if you were to go on for long enough, you'd end up back where you started.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Closed universe means a finite universe. You can travel in one direction and end up exactly where you left.

It's the same as a round earth.

This is good news. This means that there isn't an exact copy of you out there somewhere plotting your death.
Awww ):

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
The flat principle says otherwise, it comes directly from Einsteins relativity of flatness theory!

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
Of course, being a topology, this is probably gonna be one of those fucked up spheres with no center.

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
I call bullshit, no one knows what's outside. And just because humanity doesn't know what's outside doesn't mean there's not something outside.
That's not really how this sphere works. The shape of space itself is spherical. The places you have to traverse are spherical. You're not on a monopoly board, you're on a spherical board. Something like Pac-Man but not quite.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Uhh, I thought it was always a sphere...
FWIW, the flat assumption generally describes the universe as a sphere, in the sense that it's isotopic: it's expanding in every direction at the same rate. A sphere here means that the universe would be closed, ie if speed and expansion rate weren't issues you could eventually travel back to where you started. The sphere as you guys mean it a volume while in this case, the sphere is meant as a surface (in a broad, analogous sense).

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Does this make Macross style Space Fold Drives more or less likely?