• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 11214

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kind of shocked by how few devs updated their library art, though some of the new art is a really fucking awesome.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
I hope that those who are complaining about something "obvious" missing have provided feedback instead of just crossing their fingers and hoping for the best:

Just put in 3 suggestions: a dedicated Workshop button under the Play button (for easy mod management), ability to launch games from the Steam overlay, and replacing the antiquated manual addition of games with automatic options like Galaxy does.

Deleted member 11214

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's irritating is that some devs don't bother updating some (or one) of their games. Final Fantasy and Dark Souls are some of the examples.

Yeah, I found it funny each game had such pretty, thoughtful art except Dark Souls Remastered, which wasn't updated, lol.

Also interesting that a dev like Cave, who stopped releasing their stuff on Steam, applied such nice, new library art but a lot of indie games like Braid, Fez and Super Meat Boy which have sold a billion copies on Steam weren't updated.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I just put 3 suggestions in.

• Hide the Search/Filter/Home/Categories buttons
  • Smaller text for game list
  • Jump to Top at the bottom of the game list instead of at the top of the library menu

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
My suggestions:

- Bring back collapse all / expand all functionality
- Ability to choose what community content you want to see globally that affects all games (screenshots, art, videos, etc)
- Ability to change the custom content you want to see per game
- Ability to sort games in a category by recent reviews or all time reviews

That being said, do we have a thread for custom steam game art?

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I can get with this. The way news articles pop up from the Home page looks great. Only wish the rest of Steam behaved this smooth.

I forsee a lot of absentminded google searching for custom artwork in my near future though. goddamn you Valve..

jetsetrez

Oct 27, 2017
Whoever is doing these updated cover arts really deserves some credit, almost all of them look so much nicer than before. I wonder if Valve mandated certain style guidelines finally, because they all look so crisp, clean, with very elegant artwork and devoid of marketing bullshit. Exactly how it should be. Really liking the look for the most part.

I have a few small issues with it (would like to be able to hide What's New/Recent or have them accessible by a button, and be able to collapse the left sidebar), but I imagine they will be smoothed out since they're pretty obvious.

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
Love it.

Only feedback I got is let me disable community content on the game pages and I'm good.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Whoever is doing these updated cover arts really deserves some credit, almost all of them look so much nicer than before. I wonder if Valve mandated certain style guidelines finally, because they all look so crisp, clean, with very elegant artwork and devoid of marketing bullshit. Exactly how it should be. Really liking the look for the most part.

I have a few small issues with it (would like to be able to hide What's New/Recent or have them accessible by a button, and be able to collapse the left sidebar), but I imagine they will be smoothed out since they're pretty obvious.
We're all doing it ourselves.

lambdaupsilon

Apr 17, 2018
hidden achievements not being hidden in the Social Media Feed (please post things and tell others about your #experience. this is important enough to take up half of the screen width) is completely baffling
a friend got the update and showed me what it's like with nier and uh... shit's gotta be fixed
SPOILER_unknown.png

TheTrain

Oct 27, 2017
Wish there was a way to resize the collections squares, they are too big.

The HOME page with all the games is a bit laggy, don't think I will ever use it if it's always that laggy.

ZghEmbh.jpg
You can already do this, go into the options on top left corner, library -- > square dimension

Lavatein

Sep 14, 2019
The post game summary looks like the most exciting part to me, it's one of those features that I appreciate but never would have thought to ask for. Just a nice way to depressurize and reflect on progress.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Steam isn't updating for me. ):

EDIT: Got it by switching regions, I guess, hooray.

Slow as fuck on my Surface Pro 4. >_>

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it rules. Shame whatever resizing algorithm they are using makes everything so less detailed/blurry in small size. No idea why they wanted the covers to be so fucking tall.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Look at the list on the left hand side, the font is blurry. Right click any of those items, the menu it pops up is also blurry.
The text is anti-aliased, but not blurry at 1440p here. Does it look different from the text below to you? If it does, are you using DPI scaling?
steam-text-dqkmh.png

Last edited:

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland
Putting the user generator content section on a game page is a really risky thing: spoilers, some questionable screenshots/artworks (opened the Bayonetta page and the first thing was a screenshot from a mod that makes Bayonetta completely nude during attacks) etc. all there, looking at you the moment you open the page.

Oct 25, 2017
Putting the user generator content section on a game page is a really risky thing: spoilers, some questionable screenshots/artworks (opened the Bayonetta page and the first thing was a screenshot from a mod that makes Bayonetta completely nude during attacks) etc. all there, looking at you.
You can deactivate it by selecting low bandwidth mode on the Library settings.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Dunno if the change was detailed at all, but BPM / Steam input seems to be more responsive than before. BPM even seems to work fine with a mouse now.

Deleted member 10601

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dynamic collections are useless for me because of wrong tagged games. Valve should have added the possiblity to tag your games in the library while ignoring the user/dev tags.
Also, there is no way to exclude tags. My Point'n Click adventure collection is muddled with Hidden Objects games. How do i filter them out? :(

TheTrain

Oct 27, 2017
Dynamic collections are useless for me because of wrong tagged games. Valve should have added the possiblity to tag your games in the library while ignoring the user/dev tags.
Also, there is no way to exclude tags. My Point'n Click adventure collection is muddled with Hidden Objects games. How do i filter them out? :(
Can't you just drag and drop them on another collection?

Deleted member 10601

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't you just drag and drop them on another collection?

This defeats the purpose of the dynamic collection if i have to manually remove unwanted games.

Another thing is that i can not add games with different tags into a collection or shelf. It's not possible to put RPG and CRPG into one collection. Maybe i do not see how to do it.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
They need to have the option of OR and NOT operators for the filters, instead of them all being AND filters.
  • "Point & Click" NOT "Hidden Object"
  • "Top-Down Shooter" OR "Twin-Stick Shooter"
They should also support other fields such as names and release dates. I don't want any views to include unreleased games. Demos should be tagged as such. Filter out free games to their own category etc.
I've generally found the dynamic collections to be a good improvement though, and have replaced many of my manual collections with them even if they are not perfect.

I agree that users should be able to edit tags and game names though.
It would also be good if non-Steam games could be linked to store pages, if they're available on Steam but owned on another client. I'm not seeing the option to mark a game as "owned elsewhere" in their new recommendation tool for the store now though, so maybe they don't like that idea.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Just updated. Looks a bit cluttered, though some elements are nice.

Also feels kind of cheap, as if it were web-based.

Hopefully we'll see some refinements and polish throughout the beta.

Deleted member 10549

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
hidden achievements not being hidden in the Social Media Feed (please post things and tell others about your #experience. this is important enough to take up half of the screen width) is completely baffling
a friend got the update and showed me what it's like with nier and uh... shit's gotta be fixed
SPOILER_unknown.png

I didnt play Nier yet. I have seen too much! Should have read spoiler text before clicking it!

Deleted member 10601

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They need to have the option of OR and NOT operators for the filters, instead of them all being AND filters.
  • "Point & Click" NOT "Hidden Object"
  • "Top-Down Shooter" OR "Twin-Stick Shooter"
They should also support other fields such as names and release dates. I don't want any views to include unreleased games. Demos should be tagged as such. Filter out free games to their own category etc.
I've generally found the dynamic collections to be a good improvement though, and have replaced many of my manual collections with them even if they are not perfect.

I agree that users should be able to edit tags and game names though.
It would also be good if non-Steam games could be linked to store pages, if they're available on Steam but owned on another client. I'm not seeing the option to mark a game as "owned elsewhere" in their new recommendation tool for the store now though, so maybe they don't like that idea.

The OR and NOT operators are exactly what i want. Thanks for formulating it better than me. :)

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Looks good, I just wish there was a sorting option that sent all the games without updated artwork to the bottom... lol

And yeah dynamic collections definitely need more options

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Will we have a Steam Icon Watch list thread now btw? :)

Some look real nice.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
This may be more apparent if one has lots of stuff in their library such as categories and games.
If I switch the size of the icons, it could cause the client to crash and not load the Library until the client is restarted :P

Ionic

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

This is a very good idea and I actually think it could help Valve immensely. Let me explain. People tagging games on the store might purposefully tag it incorrectly as a joke or over generalization, and since tagging something on the store largely doesn't effect them personally, they'll continue making humorous or only loosely accurate tags. However, users tagging games for the immediate organization of their personal library are almost certainly doing it with the intention of being accurate. In algorithmically deciding which tags to consider for games, Valve could weigh tags made in this way significantly higher than general store tags and get more accurate results. Never underestimate the tenacity of somebody who knows exactly how they want to organize their things.

The updated library page should be a data gathering gold mine for Valve if they provide the proper tools.