• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
The big takeaway, for me, is at 12:37. Todd Howard explained that he thinks that morrowind was second biggest seller, behind halo, on original xbox.

Avantgarde

Oct 27, 2017
I would hope they hire a new composer for this game, one they've never worked with... new universe, new opportunities, new sounds.

Oct 26, 2017
Oh, of course. For some reason I remembered them making a big deal about procedural generation in Oblivion - likely from a making-of video about the game.

The implication from the interview is that they are pushing procGen in the biggest way since Daggerfall. Relevant part of the video is 6:40 to 10:45
(That doesn't necessarily mean it will exceed or match Daggerfall though.)

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
If Starfield is still a ways away, I honestly can't see ES6 being a PS5/XSX generation game.
Nah, Starfield won't be any later than 2022, and judging from this interview a lot of that time was taken up by getting all the new tech ready. The same tech that will be used in ES6. Some of ES6's early development will undoubtedly be done in parallel as well. ES6 will be in the latter part of the Series X gen, but it will definitely be on the Series X.

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
Nah, Starfield won't be any later than 2022, and judging from this interview a lot of that time was taken up by getting all the new tech ready. The same tech that will be used in ES6. Some of ES6's early development will undoubtedly be done in parallel as well. ES6 will be in the latter part of the Series X gen, but it will definitely be on the Series X.

I've said it before but ESVI is coming out 2025 at the earliest imo, likely later. We'll be lucky if it makes it to cross-gen between next-gen and next-next-gen consoles..! (Honestly, it probably will arrive in time to be out on next-gen hardware. The cycle is still a good 6 years off. I just wouldn't be expecting it until after the midpoint mark at least [as you say].)

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
A company being bought is going to add in some slowdown and disruption. The amount of meetings, trainings and system integration that will be taking place once the deal is finalized will slow up things up. I'd be surprised if this hits prior to 2022.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
I really hope Bethesda takes some of the creativity and strangeness of Morrowind, and brings that into the alien worlds, locations, and races that I assume you'll meet in Starfield. Imagining a huge Bethesda RPG in space, with multiple planets, huge Alien worlds, creatures, towns, sounds awesome.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
The guy who said the game targeted 2021 shared like four screenshots that supposedly belong to the game and no one has been able to debunk those images. They don't belong to any game we know.

I'm still missing the connection. You assume because the screenshots appear real that such screenshots likewise prove or support the 2021 date? Is that the assumption here?

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Many open world games use procedural generation to some extent to aid development. I wouldn't worry about Starfield being like No Man's Sky.

Adrifi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country
I'm still missing the connection. You assume because the screenshots appear real that such screenshots likewise prove or support the 2021 date? Is that the assumption here?
Yes, because they appear to be real I think the leaker might be right in that the game targeted 2021 but nowadays it could have been delayed for a number of reasons. Of course they could be fake, but they don't appear to be.

Oct 27, 2017
Just to clarify the dev tools to procedurally generate the map is used to quickly create a portion of the map and then the devs will sort of "lock" it in and fine-tune that section? Or they could use it as a quick and easy starting point? Or am I completely wrong?

I love Bethesda but the amount of times I've gotten caught on a poorly placed piece of geometry is outrageous, and as far as I know they were hand-crafted. If they rely too heavily on procedural generation... Oof.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Just to clarify the dev tools to procedurally generate the map is used to quickly create a portion of the map and then the devs will sort of "lock" it in and fine-tune that section? Or they could use it as a quick and easy starting point? Or am I completely wrong?

I love Bethesda but the amount of times I've gotten caught on a poorly placed piece of geometry is outrageous, and as far as I know they were hand-crafted. If they rely too heavily on procedural generation... Oof.

It sounds like they're using the procedural generation as a starting point then working on it from there. It doesn't sound like it'll be anything like No Mans Sky where it's 100% procedural.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Never got around to playing Fallout 76. Fallout 4 kinda killed any recent love of the franchise for me. It's free on Game Pass, ya? I might give it a shot.

This was me, and I had just come off from a few other online games where my depression was causing me to just get mad at myself so I dumped all those and jumped into Fallout 76. I'm like level 136 now and I'm completely in love

The game is actually pretty bad as well but it's got a special charm. It's like Destiny was built on Fallout's engine with clear gameplay mechanics.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
Bgs managed to completely lose all my faith in 2 games. I will be really surprised if this thing ends up being anything better than mediocre

Matty H

Oct 31, 2017
Take your time Todd & Bethesda. Don't show us til it's finished! I hope the work on the engine produces something that is leaps ahead of Fallout 4.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
not a big fan of a procedural generated map. But i still have high hopes from the new IP.

Really depends on the level of control and parameters they give for procedural.

Far Cry and Spider-Man were both built off the back of procedurally generated maps and placed assets from Houdini. You can get some amazing amazing results.