• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
www.ilmxlab.com

Star Wars: Tales From The Galaxy's Edge, A New Action-Adventure VR Experience - ILM Immersive

Today, we are really pleased to announce that we are in development on a new virtual reality experience, Star Wars: Tales from the Galaxy’s Edge, in collaboration with Oculus Studios. “We are so excited for fans to step into Star Wars: Tales from the Galaxy’s Edge later this year,” said Vicki...

Logo-e1590538379852.png

Today, we are really pleased to announce that we are in development on a new virtual reality experience, Star Wars: Tales from the Galaxy's Edge, in collaboration with Oculus Studios.
"We are so excited for fans to step into Star Wars: Tales from the Galaxy's Edge later this year," said Vicki Dobbs Beck, ILMxLAB Executive-in-Charge. "This action-packed adventure not only speaks to the promise of connected and complementary experiences by extending the lore around Black Spire Outpost, it represents another meaningful step in ILMxLAB's quest to transition from storytelling – one-way communication – to storyLIVING, where you're inside a world making consequential choices that drive your experience forward."

"…by extending the lore around Black Spire Outpost, it represents another meaningful step in ILMxLAB's quest to transition from storytelling – one-way communication – to storyLIVING…"
Star Wars: Tales from the Galaxy's Edge
will give players the opportunity to live their own adventure and explore part of a galaxy far, far away in virtual reality. The original story will feature both new and iconic characters from the Star Wars universe with multiple styles of gameplay and difficulty settings to accommodate a wide variety of players, from Star Wars fans to VR gamers alike.
"The rich storytelling in Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge has redefined what a Disney park experience can be, and we are thrilled fans will have an opportunity to discover new stories, meet new characters and explore new regions of the planet Batuu in Star Wars: Tales from the Galaxy's Edge," shared Scott Trowbridge, Walt Disney Imagineering Creative Executive. "Now our guests can immerse themselves in these stories both inside and outside our parks."

Taking place between Star Wars: The Last Jedi and Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker on the planet of Batuu, it is set on the outskirts of Black Spire Outpost of Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, the epic new land at Disneyland Resort in California and Walt Disney World Resort in Florida.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Nice. Vader was really good for a VR experience. But sadly this seems to be "only" another experience and not a fully-fledged game. So probably three episodes again. But I won't complain. We don't see enough VR games with an actual budget behind them and the Star Wars license is always a big plus.

Still waiting for that X-Wing VR game though ... I mean what's the problem here exactly?!

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
God, they have to eventually make a VR Rogue Squadron game right. What's taking them so long.

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
StoryLiving? Ugh. I mean it's so simple I don't know how this isn't already reality; You have x-wings. You have tie-fighters. You join an online lobby and choose or get assigned your side. You are in the cockpit. The ship door closes down and then you fly into space. Your s-foils reach attach position. One side attacks the death star. The other side defends the death star.

Everything takes place in VR. You can raise and lower your targeting computer. You can manually assign shields (ala x-wing) with physical movements. At some point Vader joins the battle.

It's cheap. It's possible. It would be a great use of the tech and done well could blow everyone's collective mind. And yet here we are. This still does not exist. Instead you want to spend a tonne of money producing bite-sized 'storyLiving' games that have a relatively small shelf life. Give us the awesome!

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Sweet. Vader Immortal was cool, but could have been better on the gameplay front. Hopefully they make strides in that aspect. The storytelling was on point.

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
Vader immortal was pretty good, if they had a full fledged story mode it would probably be one of the GOATs. Dojo mode combat following a story would be god tier

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
I'm almost impressed at how much effort they're putting into not making an X-Wing / Tie Fighter VR game. Project Maverick better be VR on at least one platform.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Ctrl+F "experience"

yup. Still gonna try it, but man I'm jonesing for a proper VR game. That cockpit experience on PSVR is amazing.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
StoryLiving? Ugh. I mean it's so simple I don't know how this isn't already reality; You have x-wings. You have tie-fighters. You join an online lobby and choose or get assigned your side. You are in the cockpit. The ship door closes down and then you fly into space. Your s-foils reach attach position. One side attacks the death star. The other side defends the death star.

Everything takes place in VR. You can raise and lower your targeting computer. You can manually assign shields (ala x-wing) with physical movements. At some point Vader joins the battle.

It's cheap. It's possible. It would be a great use of the tech and done well could blow everyone's collective mind. And yet here we are. This still does not exist. Instead you want to spend a tonne of money producing bite-sized 'storyLiving' games that have a relatively small shelf life. Give us the awesome!
The crazy part about this is that you could make a new space game where VR is purely optional but still totally awesome. There are already examples for that like EVE: Valkyrie and Elite Dangerous.

Cockpit games have to be the easiest thing to make VR-compatible without excluding classic screen-gaming.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France

I mean it's so simple I don't know how this isn't already reality => I really don't know.

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously, VR TIE Fighter is money in the bank. Any kind of VR Star Wars flight sim is money in the bank. And they're probably the easiest to do in terms of just keeping everything in cockpit.

Necrokey

Jan 20, 2019
Orlando, Florida
I am blessed to live in Orlando and have AP to visit WDW. If Rise of the Resistance is not included then its a wash. The only thing truly worth while in the land imho.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't this already exist in some form? I thought there was a Battlefront VR game a few years ago
It's a single 18 minute mission.

It's a great mission, and there's great details like every X-Wing setting has a cockpit button associated with it you can use, including the targeting computer. But that's all there is.

Tayaya

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's a single 18 minute mission.

It's a great mission, and there's great details like every X-Wing setting has a cockpit button associated with it you can use, including the targeting computer. But that's all there is.

Wait wait wait..... you can press the buttons in the cockpit? AND pull out the computer? Why did I not try this before? Time to hook up the PSVR again

apocat

Oct 27, 2017

I don't get it either. It's so obvious. It's like they don't want my money.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

This doesn't have the MP aspect, but still.

ChrisP8Three

Oct 26, 2017
Leeds
I loved the VR mission in Battlefront and thought it was a great toe dip......and then nothing until now and it totally blows my mind that Battlefront 2 didn't have something similar or a separate thing sooner

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Wait wait wait..... you can press the buttons in the cockpit? AND pull out the computer? Why did I not try this before? Time to hook up the PSVR again
Yeah, you can play with it before you launch just sitting in the hangar, or in flight. There's a cursor in your vision iirc, so just look at the buttons and hit 'X' (again, iirc). Not all of them will do something, and many of the ones that do something only do something you can test while flying (like shot configuration). It's pretty neat though.

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
Hope its better than Vader, that felt way too short and way too limited in control and interaction for where one sorta expects VR experiences to be in 2020. Excited for the setting though, got to go to Disneyland for the Star Wars opening and the area of Black Spire Outpost has a lot of potential.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome, it felt like by the time they got to the third episode of Vader Immortal they'd figured out a better balance between gameplay/story sections so hopefully they take those lessons into this. The main thing I want to see in this is being able to create your own lightsaber.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like its just an ad for the theme park. I'm not exactly starving for that deep lore if I'm being honest

CalamityPixel

Oct 27, 2017
Why can't you come hang out on Batuu in real life? It'll still be there when the COVID is gone! It's a small area but it's definitely worth visiting, and I do hope to see Disney evolve and grow it over time.
We've ended up having to rebook to next year, I'd be coming from abroad and we can't really take any risks atm I'll be there one day though!

Tayaya

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
We've ended up having to rebook to next year, I'd be coming from abroad and we can't really take any risks atm I'll be there one day though!

That's fair. Yes let all the locals go help Disney figure out their processes first. I'm excited that the parks are re-opening in 6 weeks but I admit that I'm happy to just pay the extra month on my pass and wait it out before going back. I want to go but I don't trust the local population enough to follow basic PPE usage and social distancing.

When you do come though, I hope it was worth the wait for ya, and feel free to PM me if you have any questions or if you forget to buy something while you're here that you later decide you wanted!

CorrisD

Oct 25, 2017
God, they have to eventually make a VR Rogue Squadron game right. What's taking them so long.

How Sony saw the response to the Battlefromt VR mission and didn't immediately find out who had the current Rogue Squadron rights and get either a new game made or a remake of 2/3 as a VR game I will never understand.

I picked up VR because it was cool, but I haven't felt that sort of pure glee from a game like I did in that moment since I was young.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
I agree with everyone in wanting a VR Star Wars space combat game, but it's worth noting that ILMxLab's goals are making immersive experiences for wide audiences to enjoy. It'd be a bit like asking PlatinumGames to have made their Korra game a sprawling Avatar RPG; it's just not their field.
Besides, we'll get that VR Star Wars space combat game as a launch title for PSVR2, right? Right?

Last edited:

CalamityPixel

Oct 27, 2017
That's fair. Yes let all the locals go help Disney figure out their processes first. I'm excited that the parks are re-opening in 6 weeks but I admit that I'm happy to just pay the extra month on my pass and wait it out before going back. I want to go but I don't trust the local population enough to follow basic PPE usage and social distancing.

When you do come though, I hope it was worth the wait for ya, and feel free to PM me if you have any questions or if you forget to buy something while you're here that you later decide you wanted!
Yeah I'm sure it's gonna be worth the wait, I'll totally PM you if I have any questions :D

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Hoping that the gameplay is more substantial than Vader Immortal. The dojo, while great, should not be where the actual game is.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Hoping that the gameplay is more substantial than Vader Immortal. The dojo, while great, should not be where the actual game is.
Yeah, totally agreed. There were flashes of good gameplay in the main story sections (I loved all of the climbing and navigation stuff) but boy howdy was it just all over too soon. It would be nice if they could (or could have, at this point) implemented a higher difficulty level with more intricate combat sequences replacing the current ones. :/

Gifmaker

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I can't wait for this EA deal fuckery to get over so that there can finally be a proper era of Star Wars games again. The output since the deal has been a fucking shame.

Owlet

Owl Enthusiast
Verified
May 30, 2018
London, UK
Star Wars and VR seem like a natural fit. Not sure why they haven't put out a full title with VR support yet.

Hopefully it's something they're working on.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
I loved the VR mission in Battlefront and thought it was a great toe dip......and then nothing until now and it totally blows my mind that Battlefront 2 didn't have something similar or a separate thing sooner
Yeah, that was a great practice run, it's crazy that they still haven't taken that and made a full game.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait for this EA deal fuckery to get over so that there can finally be a proper era of Star Wars games again. The output since the deal has been a fucking shame.
I think there's a pretty good chance that the deal is going to be renewed. Three AAA Star Wars games, all selling in excess of 10M+ copies, and all of them delivered on time to coincide with the release of a major blockbuster film. Not much for Disney to complain about. I don't think EA would have greenlit Fallen Order 2 if they weren't relatively certain they were going to get the license back.