• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Anyone got a link to cliff notes on the drama and hate in this thread? Particularly on why SH fans are upset?
It's not as complicated as you might think based on the length of the topic.

Silent Hill 2 is a beloved art game whose best quality is the intimacy and subtly with which it explores its themes. It successfully evokes mood and emotion while keeping its actual script ambiguous and story elements unknown. This mastery of aesthetic and theme is one of gaming's highest peaks that even Silent Hill itself has struggled to reach ever since. It is hard to come up with any game that does what SH2 does as well as SH2 does it. It remains a canonical favorite in the legacy of interactive art. People have a lot of respect for the material.

Innumerable horror games have been produced with Silent Hill in mind. Many have reached and grasped and missed at what makes Silent Hill 2 work as well as it does. Everyone wants to make SH2 but nobody has pulled it off. For many, Bloober Team is one of those developers that has made a name for itself trying to make Silent Hill and never succeeding, so it gives them anxiety that they might be giving the reins to Silent Hill 2. Many feel they've proven definitively they don't get it and can't do it.

I don't know how to feel, personally. I do know that "Bloober Team" is an unacceptable name for anything. The idea of a title as prestigious as Silent Hill 2 being preceded with the word "Bloober" is wretched. How can anyone call themselves "Bloober" with any dignity? They could be an industry leading developer and their Silent Hill game single handedly thrusts the series into the accoladed mainstream in years but I will never get over "Bloober". Sorry, Bloober Team.

AtlasRyker

Jun 21, 2021
It's not as complicated as you might think based on the length of the topic.

Silent Hill 2 is a beloved art game whose best quality is the intimacy and subtly with which it explores its themes. It successfully evokes mood and emotion while keeping its actual script ambiguous and story elements unknown. This mastery of aesthetic and theme is one of gaming's highest peaks that even Silent Hill itself has struggled to reach ever since. It is hard to come up with any game that does what SH2 does as well as SH2 does it. It remains a canonical favorite in the legacy of interactive art. People have a lot of respect for the material.

Innumerable horror games have been produced with Silent Hill in mind. Many have reached and grasped and missed at what makes Silent Hill 2 work as well as it does. Everyone wants to make SH2 but nobody has pulled it off. For many, Bloober Team is one of those developers that has made a name for itself trying to make Silent Hill and never succeeding, so it gives them anxiety that they might be giving the reins to Silent Hill 2. Many feel they've proven definitively they don't get it and can't do it.

Here's the big thing, if bloober is going to do a remake, unless they do something 1:1, respecting the original as much as possible like Bluepoint does, then great, it can come out pretty good as an updated version.

But if they are going to remake the game from 0, modifying and altering stuff, it will probably lose the charm of the original game.

SH2 grabs you from the first moment, with that reading in off, the music and the first steps descending with an exquisite atmosphere. It overflows with melancholy and sensations that have not been reached never again.

It's game from another era, that's the whole point... The positive part is that the original game will always be there, and to be honest, I would be grateful if Konami would release proper HD versions, not that terrible remaster they released years ago.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Here's the big thing, if bloober is going to do a remake, unless they do something 1:1, respecting the original as much as possible like Bluepoint does, then great, it can come out pretty good as an updated version.

But if they are going to remake the game from 0, modifying and altering stuff, it will probably lose the charm of the original game.

SH2 grabs you from the first moment, with that reading in off, the music and the first steps descending with an exquisite atmosphere. It overflows with melancholy and sensations that have not been reached never again.

It's game from another era, that's the whole point... The positive part is that the original game will always be there, and to be honest, I would be grateful if Konami would release proper HD versions, not that terrible remaster they released years ago.

For sure. People have wanted a modern release for a decade. People thought they were getting that with the infamous HD collection but it has become universally maligned. An HD re-release, or an asset remake like Shadow of the Colossus and Demon's Souls, would be perfect for Silent Hill 2. It is such a unique experience and that exact experience is the one people want accessible and flattered with a more beautiful presentation.

But an RE2-style "reimagining"? So much would have to go just right and be executed with a flawless understanding of the original. I don't know who can do that. Maybe no one. As we learned even with RE3R, lightning doesn't strike twice. It's hard for me to conceptualize what a reimagining of Silent Hill 2 would be like that still provides any semblance of what the original provides. I would love to be proven wrong.

Nox

Dec 23, 2017
I haven't kept up with most of the news. So it's a remake of 2 instead of a new entry? Produced by Bloober?

Soviet

Oct 28, 2017
Dunno if it was mentioned, but Bloober already said (in September 2021 no less, in stock exchange release) that it's making a "AAA horror game" in "partnership" with Konami. This could be it.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
apropos of nothing in particular i find it really funny that all this consternation can be traced back to a vaporware game on the wii

elbageluno

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 4, 2022
This is some snobbish, condescending shit to try to justify a quite straightforward take. Silent Hill is art, Bubsy 3D is art, every game is art even if many are more ''blockbusters'' than others.
I was gonna say something similar. If one game/movie/show/book is art, they are all art. The scribble of crayons that my little cousin just showed me on a crumpled piece of paper is art.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Simplest explanation is that Silent Hill 2 is one of the best portrayals of mental health issues that you'll find in gaming. The Medium is one of the worst.

clearest two sentence explanation.

Angela's last monologue is an excellent take-down of the kind of mainstream "feel better" pablum that doesn't effectively address the needs of mental health sufferers I've ever seen in a game without being obvious or ham-fisted.

Bloober team's general M.O. would turn Angela into a monster you have to kill.

Laranja

Oct 31, 2017
London
Silent hill fans are absolutely fuming because:
1) there might be a new silent hill
2) there might not be a new silent hill

Neither outcome is acceptable apparently.

Ok this got a chuckle out of me.

I honestly don't get why anyone would be interested in investing in this series. Even with the strange phenomenon that PT turned out to be I still don't believe a new entry in the series will sell all that well unless it's of exceptional quality and has mass appeal.

Don't get me wrong, I'm super happy that we're getting something, especially with some of the original team being involved, but I don't believe this will ever meet everyone's expectations.

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020
Silent hill fans are absolutely fuming because:
1) there might be a new silent hill
2) there might not be a new silent hill

Neither outcome is acceptable apparently.
It's more simple than that:
  1. People want a new game.
  2. People want it to be good.
  3. People don't want Bloober Team handling a remake of the originals.
  4. Bloober Team is considered a poor fit for the series in general.
Of course, there's more to every franchise than just the brand name. I'm holding out hope that the remake rumour is false and the leaked game is good.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
as much as i hate bloobers original works. they're pretty good with visuals and atmosphere and as long as they stay entirely faithful to the original game, i think they could do it justice. but....i don't have a lot of faith in that happening. i think the VO and delivery of the lines itself are quite important to the game...recasting and re-doing the dialogue could be disastrous imo (they tried with the remaster and it too was shit). the directing of the cut-scenes and disorientating camera system is also pretty important. if they cant get that right it's just going to suck.

lets hope they have a bluepoint mindset when handed a much loved game to be remade...and don't take the "this is our opportunity to inject our own ideas into it" approach.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
as much as i hate bloobers original works. they're pretty good with visuals and atmosphere and as long as they stay entirely faithful to the original game, i think they could do it justice. but....i don't have a lot of faith in that happening. i think the VO and delivery of the lines itself are quite important to the game...recasting and re-doing the dialogue could be disastrous imo (they tried with the remaster and it too was shit). the directing of the cut-scenes and disorientating camera system is also pretty important. if they cant get that right it's just going to suck.

lets hope they have a bluepoint mindset when handed a much loved game to be remade...and don't take the "this is our opportunity to inject our own ideas into it" approach.
I mean the rumor is they're making new endings....

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
www.videogameschronicle.com

Konami’s Silent Hill plans could include a remake, full sequel and episodic stories | VGC

Bloober Team is one developer understood to be working on a revival of the horror franchise…

One of those projects is intended to be a smaller, episodic series of "short stories", we were told. Sources have previously indicated that Until Dawn studio Supermassive had once been involved in talks for such a project, which eventually evolved into its Dark Pictures games.

One new name two people independently gave VGC was Annapurna Interactive, the acclaimed publisher behind games such as Sayonara Wild Hearts, Outer Wilds and Telling Lies, which they said could be involved in the 'stories' project.

However, they said many studios had been involved in pitches for Silent Hill, and it's possible Annapurna was simply one of those discussions rather than a project that was eventually greenlit.

Finally, VGC has been told that Konami is planning to release a new mainline entry in the Silent Hill series. It's not clear who is leading the project, but VGC reported last year that a Japanese studio was working on a Silent Hill project.

The images leaked last week are understood to be related to a PT-style teaser game, codenamed 'Sakura', which is intended to be released as a free digital title to build anticipation for the larger projects.

Mar 29, 2022
So we have new details from VGC now

www.resetera.com

VGC: Multiple Silent Hill projects are currently in development, and could include a remake, full sequel and story-focused episodic series. Rumor

Last week a collection of leaked concept images appeared to confirm that a new Silent Hill is or was in development. This followed a VGC story from last February, in which we reported that Konami was planning to revive the long-dormant horror game series. Now, details are emerging on what some...

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Hmm, I understand why they'd want to go for a PT-style teaser again given how much of a splash it made but...

Konami can't just pretend that they didn't cancel and pull PT. People aren't going to trust that. I'm a little disappointed if that's all we will see.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Alright I'm out for the night.

I expect to wake up to Sak I mean Chaos.
756201744043606106.webp

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 day): Antagonistic behavior towards another member
He'll be back because, as he said, he can't help himself and just loves to stir stuff up.

For what it's worth, I've always appreciated the leaks. Never appreciated the theatrics, though.

Oct 27, 2017
Dusk Golem I've always wanted you to be right but I really should blame the pandemic and disruption of gaming events as a cause for the delay in any significant reveals that we all waited for and got nothing. Many of us harshly lashed out against you as a scapegoat.

I'm a huge SH2 fan and really want a modern way to play the game (sans PC) and the remake news, no matter who's behind it, has me excited. I watched a trailer for the Medium to see what the Bloober fuss was about and I thought it looked intriguing. What was wrong with it?

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
Or, crazy thought, maybe we could just have protag who's….not traumatized? Just some ordinary Joe/Jane that wanders into the town and finds themselves caught in the middle of a bunch of fucked up shit? Like half or arguably 3/4 of the original Team Silent games?

I'd be into that for sure! They'd have to definitely put some work into making the character interesting since everything around them will be what's really reflected in Silent Hill (though I think it would be neat to have the Otherworld still reflect some of the protag's psyche even if they're all-around well-adjusted!), but just because the town does call out to people doesn't mean that's the only way they can end up in the Otherworld. Unless they figure "fuck it, doesn't matter," there'd still have to be a bit of justification as to why the character ends up in the Otherworld since Silent Hill's still an active resort town in the real world, but there's so much they can do than just deep dark secrets.

Plus I've always thought Silent Hill would be best served as a way to experiment with horror, and not relying solely on the same form of confronting trauma would be a good direction to take imo.

I still want a game from the perspective of a Silent Hill townie. Someone who grew up there and winds up becoming aware of the supernatural side at some point in their life.

This would be so cool.

dusan

Aug 2, 2020
Who the fuck threatens you for leaking information about a fucking videogame? I wish I could be in his position and see who these sorry shits are. I respect his decision, but if companies are doing this shits, I would hammer them more instead of gave up.

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
A remake of Silent Hill 2 could be interesting, and honestly I wouldn't mind seeing what weird-ass stuff they come up with to change things up. I know it would piss off the fanbase, though, and I don't trust Bloober at ALL to actually handle anything with sensitivity; it'd be more out of curiosity than anything else. It would be really great if Konami would actually just remaster SH2 and do it properly this time around, that way we'd have a reimagined version and the original both easily accessible.

JoelShmoe

Jun 12, 2020
Surprised there hasn't been a thread yet to be honest.

"Known Leaker Dusk Golem Announces Second Retirement!"
No offense or anything, but most of the posts I've read from you are being down on Dusk. I'm not saying the dude doesn't deserve some criticism, but it really is just video games man lol. It should never be THAT serious enough for a person to have a Jason Vorhees like persistence with posts directing negativity towards someone.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Wonder if posting those pics could really put him trouble.

The person that share with him, I assume had NDA, but Dusk didn't.
Still those screenhots wasn't given in the most legal way.

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
Girl, we really need to take some fresh air, touch some grass and recheck our life priorities because chile… some people are living through their entire two Euphoria seasons in a couple social media posts.

And for the worst kept industry secret of all time, at that lol. The fact that it's the people actually working on an anticipated game (and not projecting to be) who are seen as a villain here for wanting to defend their product… I don't know man, this thread is really fucked up and soul crushing. Y'all wanted to be Barbara Walters and it's giving Perez Hilton.

Odinsmana

Mar 13, 2019
No offense or anything, but most of the posts I've read from you are being down on Dusk. I'm not saying the dude doesn't deserve some criticism, but it really is just video games man lol. It should never be THAT serious enough for a person to have a Jason Vorhees like persistence with posts directing negativity towards someone.

He (and other leakers) are making regular hardworking devs lives harder by posting leaks. All so that they can be internet famous and feel important. They definitely deserve criticism.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Girl, we really need to take some fresh air, touch some grass and recheck our life priorities because chile… some people are living through their entire two Euphoria seasons in a couple social media posts.

And for the worst kept industry secret of all time, at that lol. The fact that it's the people actually working on an anticipated game (and not projecting to be) who are seen as a villain here for wanting to defend their product… I don't know man, this thread is really fucked up and soul crushing. Y'all wanted to be Barbara Walters and it's giving Perez Hilton.

Bless you for this post.

JoelShmoe

Jun 12, 2020
I guess we pick and choose when leaks are cool or not. Definitely not used to seeing people on here having this moral ground about it. Usually they foam at the mouth like rabid pitbulls for any modicum of information like this.

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
Who the fuck threatens you for leaking information about a fucking videogame? I wish I could be in his position and see who these sorry shits are. I respect his decision, but if companies are doing this shits, I would hammer them more instead of gave up.
Fucking video games are what gives me money to eat every month 😭😭😭 some of you have never experienced contracts being broken because some rando decided to leak a confidential project before and it shows. Imagine coming back home after your 10 hour workday to say to your kids "hey next month one of you will not have food because somebody wanted to play Oprah and posted a screenshot of a fucking unannounced video game".

Vic20

Nov 10, 2019
He (and other leakers) are making regular hardworking devs lives harder by posting leaks. All so that they can be internet famous and feel important. They definitely deserve criticism.
Did he now? What games were harmed by his leaks, resident evil 8 had it's ending and entire story leaked and barely anyone cared and the game still sold great, most of the projects he had information on were big AAA projects that weren't going to get canceled by a leak.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Definitely not used to seeing people on here having this moral ground about it. Usually they foam at the mouth like rabid pitbulls for any modicum of information like this.

Change is good then, no?

...most of the projects he had information on were big AAA projects that weren't going to get canceled by a leak.

"Making regular hardworking devs' lives harder" does not mean cancellation of a game, AAA or otherwise.

Educate yourself on the concerns from actual devs please, there's a whole other thread you posted in that you might do well to read rather than just using it as an opportunity to defend your boy.

Oct 25, 2017
To me, leaks are fine if it's a verb. A thing you do, because you can -- you have the information for whatever reason and say, 'okay, this thing I have is going public.' And you do that and leave it.

What Dusk does is not a verb, it's a job. He has connections, and leaks information in a way designed to generate clout and hype. He does very well at this I think. Problem is, I kind of hate the way it's treated -- Dusk treats it like it's he's actually a part of the corporate hype machine despite claims to be counter to that. He leaks stuff in the same way a company would, with all this stuff about holding back, or waiting to generate excitement, etc. It ends up always feeling manipulative, and then when someone (in this case, Nate, or Grubb) comes along and turns it into a verb and just puts the info out there, well, he actually got miffed over that. Then there's all the off-site drama, theatrics, 'retirements' and coming out of retirement I guess to just do a little more hurt (his words, not mine, I don't feel like this shit really hurts companies and frankly if it does, well, companies aren't your friends! Just check out Jim Ryan's opinions if you'd like to know more). I appreciate knowing more about Silent Hill, but I don't appreciate getting roped into all the extra stuff with this particular leaker. Wish him the best.