• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I remember using it since I was in high school... Fond memories but already tired of it.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't fudged around with one of these in over a decade.

How proficient do I have to be to make some crap for my own satisfication on the newer versions of RPG Maker?

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
So what kind of rpg can we expect to make? Similar to old style rpg or more modern like skyrim or dqxi?

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Let's hope for a "port to console" version. MV supporting Android/iOS stuff is great but the next step is quite obvious.

Maybe using C# instead of Javascript would be a good idea, also. Or maybe support both?

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
It's just a quick, word-only teaser.

Edited for clarity.

EDIT 2: I'm knee deep in an RPG Maker MV game myself, but I doubt I'll make the leap to a new version again.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Neat. I have some fond memories of using rpg maker in middle school trying and failing to come up with anything and then using RPGM in college for a project and finally getting into some of the nitty gritty.

It's obviously not as powerful or useful as something like unity or UE, but it's fun to tinker with.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
slight offtopic i'm guessing the
RPG Maker MV ps4/switch game is canned for the west?

I just looked on Amazon, and it has a release date of June 30th, a Tuesday. I thought it already released, but I'm not up to speed on the console versions. Well, I'm not really up to speed on the Steam version, but that's a different story. ha

Amazon.com: RPG Maker Mv - Nintendo Switch: Koei Tecmo America Corpor, Koei: Video Games

Amazon.com: RPG Maker Mv - Nintendo Switch: Koei Tecmo America Corpor, Koei: Video Games

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
I'd have to really see what they do here, if it's at all any different from MV. I'd KILL for a 2.5d isometric Breath of Fire style creator.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
I hope for something powerful and modern. The glory a rpg maker with a more complete engine would be. And i don't mean 3d or things like that, cause that would make editing your assets or creating your own visual style really difficult. I mean.. making all the little old school, boring things in rpg maker way more confortable. All the little things (sometimes obvious) you need scripts to do for now. I don't know changing rez, adding better animations, doing a cut scene with character moving, changing gui look.. Just a rpg maker that would check all the boxes that are needed in current version would be glorious.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if they'll make console ports a possibility with this one, that's the main reason I've held off because it'd suck to put in so much work only for it to be locked to PC and mobile.

Loved using it as a teen and I think it's basically the only type of game making tool I can use without my brain turning to mush because of over ambition.

aett

Oct 27, 2017
Northern California
I've bought every version of RPGMaker since they started coming out officially in the US (on PC, and the PS1 version) but none have been as fun for me as good ol' 2000. Mostly because of that time in my life, but also because it was the last time you could just use a melange of 16-bit sprites and still have a fairly decent-looking game. Once 2003 added the side-view battle system, it became too much for me and my lack of sprite talent.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I automatically skip anything in my discovery queue that uses RPG Maker.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Hm... I've never finished a game in RPG Maker but I'll have to check how robust it is.

Lime Blockade

Aug 4, 2018
I just looked on Amazon, and it has a release date of June 30th, a Tuesday. I thought it already released, but I'm not up to speed on the console versions. Well, I'm not really up to speed on the Steam version, but that's a different story. ha

slight offtopic i'm guessing the
RPG Maker MV ps4/switch game is canned for the west?
If this gets a port, I wonder if they'll do Xbox. They almost did last time and then cancelled it for whatever reason.

That more than likely a placeholder date since the last date NISA officially gave was just 2019. The PS4 and Switch release in Japan had a lot of bugs and issues which prompted Kadokawa to issue an apology and promised to fix all the issues. The Xbox One version was delayed, then officially cancelled with Kadokawa saying they were have trouble developing the game. NISA then released a new trailer for the game removing the Xbox One references and delaying the game from 2018 to 2019. As for the current status, who knows at this point. Both companies have been pretty silent on the matter so I wouldn't be surprised if the western release gets cancelled.

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in.

I swear, I've been working on the same RPG Maker project since the PSX version. I always end up scrapping the project after it grows too daunting... in every single version of RPG Maker to date. I do seem to make more progress each time though. I actually have a ton of design documentation in articy:draft 3 so maybe with this new version I will actually finish my project.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm waiting on the one for Switch, but hopefully this one get's ported too.

ToraShiro any updates on the PS4/Switch RPG Maker?

Last edited:

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Even RPG Maker games that don't use the default generic assets/sprites?

Part of the problem is that I can't distinguish what is using generic assets compared to custom assets. It looks like a SNES RPG without the nostalgia which is not a selling point for me.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Lol, that annoucment looks like someone googling "cinema blend how to make epic videos" and then following the first tutorial. Anyway, i guess its good, but i wonder how many features they will add to this one.

Oct 25, 2017
I attempted to learn RPG Maker 2 on PS2 when they went 3D and failed miserably. But I was also an impatient middle-schooler. Is the series still stuck in that 16-bit style or have they dipped their toe back into 3D?

OP
OP
jblanco

jblanco

Oct 27, 2017
I just remembered about this old thread from the official RPG Maker forums. There was mention of an isometric view tool in development. But it never happened? Perhaps that's what the new RPG Maker will be about? 🤔
gDeZBD2.jpg

LuciusAxelrod

Oct 25, 2017
I've been using RPG Maker since I found the fan-translated version of RM2k many years ago. Maybe I'll actually finish a game this time.
My wish list for this version is a more customizable editor (so you don't have to put data into the 'notes' sections for scripts) and an upgrade to TypeScript.

I just remembered about this old thread from the official RPG Maker forums. There was mention of an isometric view tool in development. But it never happened? Perhaps that's what the new RPG Maker will be about? 🤔

I think I remember them asking about first-person views like in dungeon crawlers a while ago, too. It'd be cool if it supported all these different options out of the box.