• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Getting this day 1 at full price to support the studio. The marketing behind this game has been bizarre to me because we know the game play is shooty shoot pew pew. I really wonder if folks (outside this forum) who are getting excited for it realize the developers pedigree.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Looks interesting, I'll have to check out more details on the gameplay. It's getting my attention more and more.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
looks cool but i was hoping to see some combat

if i have a ps5 by then i'll probably get this at release

i like the main character. i wish more games featured middle-aged women as leads

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
For people commenting on the visuals.
Remember that this is supposed to be a bullet hell shooter with signature Housemarque effects flying around left and right.
Those need to be accounted for so just looking at the environment without any action going on can be a little misleading.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Yup!

I just looked at Controls numbers and it sold 2 million copies ( including discounts) in 2 years with a budget of 36 million USD and still made good money.

I don't see Returnal teams targets any more ambitious than Controls imo. I expect the budget to be similar to those numbers if not less.

I think Control is a difficult comparison because they also had the advantage (in terms of getting out of the red) with...

Epic exclusivity deal (a rumoured $10.5 million)
PlayStation marketing deal/exclusive DLC
PS Now deal
Game Pass deal
PS+ deal

They absolutely rinsed every avenue of 'how can we monetise this game beyond just sales'. Obviously a Sony first party game like Returnal isn't cutting deals with Game Pass or Epic (well, probably not) or getting money back - from themselves - for putting the game on PS Now or PS+. If Control did will and made good money, I'd hazard a guess that it was a decent mixture of sales and being helped by the amount of money they took from virtually everyone giving it for exclusivity and subscription deals.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Game looks kind of interesting but the $70 price tag is a big oof. If you ask me. Probably going to wait on a sale or PS+ for this one.

Oct 25, 2017
Sony is trying to sell this game to the wrong ppl pretending it's an AAA cinematic experience or sort of... surely an aggressive strategy but a lot of ppl will be disappointed by it.

Are they really? They've clearly stated it's AAA roguelite and all of the trailers so far pushed gameplay and ingame stroytelling, with just a few hints of cinematics here and there.

i must have missed that trailer. i should check it out

Also:

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Are they really? They've clearly stated it's AAA roguelite and all of the trailers so far pushed gameplay and ingame stroytelling, with just a few hints of cinematics here and there.

Also:

thanks

shame there still doesn't seem to be any longer coherent clips, showing what a minute or so of continuous combat looks like

i like that there appears to be bullet hell elements. i hope that comes up frequently when playing. and the art direction on monsters is cool

Sameer Sedlar

Feb 8, 2018
Egypt
Why not? You'll probably be spending hundreds of hours with it. I am just asking because you said it looks great/mighty good, you love the idea of changing worlds and the psychological horror of it. And I'm guessing you are already familiar with Housemarque games, so you know the gameplay will be fucking awesome, and we have already seen glimpses of it. I seriously don't get it.
I get why this may seem strange, and surprisingly this is the first Housemarque game I am interested in, their previous games were not something I usually play (or at all), also maybe cause it is rougelite where I expect alot of the environments to be randomly generated so it won't be as many or diverse, and the story no matter how big won't be something engaging. I probably see the whole formula as a 25-30$ thing, but with Returnal being an exclusive title and having a bigger production values to be something between 30-40$. For me it is less about how many hours I play the game, for example I am not into MP games at all, so I won't spend a 60$ on a game where the SP is 6hrs and the rest is MP, for me it is more about what the game offers to me in terms of story mainly. For the first time Housemarque seems to be offering a great story with Returnal but I am not sure how big or engaging it is, maybe that's the main reason why I am not seeing the price tag for me.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I hope this is more in line with the strength of the weird surreal and psychological thriller strengths of Control than of The Medium.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I hope this is more in line with the strength of the weird surreal and psychological thriller strengths of Control than of The Medium.

My uninformed guess: Returnal is going to be a housemarque shooter roguelike that will play a little like Risk of Rain 2 and the story we're seeing in the trailers will be told during the moments between runs. Hopefully the writing and worldbuilding will be as interesting as it was in Control.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
My uninformed guess: Returnal is going to be a housemarque shooter roguelike that will play a little like Risk of Rain 2 and the story we're seeing in the trailers will be told during the moments between runs. Hopefully the writing and worldbuilding will be as interesting as it was in Control.
I hope the storytelling is baked into the action too like Control. They seem to have more ambition for the story than it just seeming like story bits being in the downtime or cutscenes.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Right, because this forum's reaction is a good estimate for commercial success. Eg, Days Gone.

No but Housemarquee was bummed out over the poor sales of Nex Machina despite the strong reviews.

They shifted their strategy for making arcade style games to adopt a full blown third person perspective because they are betting that's why reception has decreased for the type of games they make.

I hope they find their audience.