• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
I hope we see less of the Tyrant in 3 than we saw of Mr. X in 2. While it was cool and unnerving at first, he overstayed his welcome and just became an annoyance that dragged the game down a bit.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the general gameplay "improvements" make up for the weak scenario. We went from a sprawling central location in RE2 with two characters and A-B scenarios, to a relatively linear romp with a randomizer and a Mr. X that can open doors. Sure the nuke is important, but it's the kind of detail that could easily have been stuck in the RE4 intro.

It's a fun game, but it's clearly a spinoff and sticks out compared to RE1, RE2 and CV. I liked how CV directly continued the story of 1/2 and kept the same adventure game style design.
Broader scope didn't make for a better game with either RE2 or CV to me. You regard going with something smaller and more focused like RE3's scenario as a weakness, I see it as anything but. Some might lament games like RE3 and REmake 2 scaling back on the fanciful adventure game type puzzles, locations, and related item gathering, but personally I preferred the more "practical" approach associated with those games specifically.

And ultimately, nothing about CV's story wound up being relevant to the bigger picture within the franchise beyond Wesker being alive and Chris bulking up so he wouldn't get his ass kicked again.
So basically, in other words, I shouldn't even be excited for the remake
Depends on how you felt about the original RE3 I'd say. I wouldn't tell anyone that they shouldn't be excited for this, but I am lowering my expectations based on what we've heard so far and my own suspicions about how inevitable changes will work out for the remake.

Last edited:

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
RE3 had one of the coolest scenario ever in the series. It was more refreshing than another mansion. And even then, it has that in the form of the clocktower.

It was really varied and had scale.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
RE3 had one of the coolest scenario ever in the series. It was more refreshing than another mansion. And even then, it has that in the form of the clocktower.

It was really varied and had scale.
Agreed, it was interesting to see them try something different than focus on yet another centralized indoor location for most of the game like RE1 and 2 did. Since it was intended to close out the story of Raccoon City, it only made sense to be able to get a more comprehensive view of just how the outbreak devastated everything.

Last edited:

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I don't think the general gameplay "improvements" make up for the weak scenario. We went from a sprawling central location in RE2 with two characters and A-B scenarios, to a relatively linear romp with a randomizer and a Mr. X that can open doors. Sure the nuke is important, but it's the kind of detail that could easily have been stuck in the RE4 intro.

It's a fun game, but it's clearly a spinoff and sticks out compared to RE1, RE2 and CV. I liked how CV directly continued the story of 1/2 and kept the same adventure game style design.

Calling Nemesis a "Mr. X that can open doors" is completely wrong. You can't built an argument based on such a flawed premise.

And no, RE3 is not an spin-off, even if it built on the foundations of a game that was originally meant to be one. Read this if you want the details.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
My hype for this game just deflated immensely. They're kinda butchering what made RE3 great. Hopefully the live selection is ingrained in gameplay now. Still, no Mercenaries (which I expected TBH) replaced by Resistance sucks. No word on spiders is also ridiculous.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck Resistance, that game was dogshit.

Also sod them getting rid of the player choices and all that came with it. It is one of the great features of the original.

Already the original game sounds like it will be far better. D3make.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, report from the book is not canon.
but from gun survivor game it is.

residentevil.fandom.com

Report on destroyed Raccoon City

Report on destroyed Raccoon City (ラクーンシティ崩壊後レポート, Rakūnshiti hōkai-go repōto?) is a file that can be found in Resident Evil Survivor. It can be found in the south-west corner of the Projection room in the Southend Theater. The official translation of the October 6 report is signed by Nikolai...
I keep forgeting about Survivor, it doesnt help that Capcom never ever referenced the events/characters/monsters of it in any other games except that one mention in RE0's intro cutscene.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played Resi 3 before. Does this mean the game won't have replay value or new game + type content like in Resi 2?
The original game has by far the best replay value in the entire series. And this interview said they are dropping all of it.

R2make replay value was crap, it seems they want to repeat it.

Espeix

Dec 5, 2018
I'm not worried. R2make was amazing and I'm sure this one will be too. The choices will probably be in there but more subtle than a screen popping up for you to make a choice. And I'm fine with there being just one ending.

Mr. Rod

Jan 17, 2018
Am I the only one feeling that this article may be a bit flawed? They got facts wrong from the original game (Murphy's death) and some of the confirmations are not explicitly stated to be told by the producers, more like the reporter jumping into conclusions.

Capcom needs to come out with a new trailer and press release with more details ASAP.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
Losing the scenario variety in RE3 is just as much of a bummer as losing the zapping system in RE2. It's like ripping out the core of a lot of what the games were designed around. Is it just because doing the variations on cutscenes is expensive now that they're mocapping everything,, or because playtesting a more varied scenario is more expensive now? The entire point of those systems was to add a ton of replayability with only a miminal amount of extra asset work, and I can't figure out why that wouldn't scale to current gen.

_Malus_

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
The main campaign will be awesome! I think due to the lack of two scenarios, we will see a much more beefed up single player campaign.

I can't wait to see what they have done with the clock tower. it's by far my favorite part of the game and I hope it's much expanded upon. I remember in the second floor, there were spiders... I hope there will be a huge spider nest in the remake, or if spiders are out: at least there should be something similar disgusting lurking around the corners.

Edit: btw, why is everyone saying there'll be no alternative choices to make? The article doesn't deny it's existence. Maybe you will have no text prompts but still the option to solve situations differently, resulting into different paths.

Dark_Chris

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Czech republic
Losing the scenario variety in RE3 is just as much of a bummer as losing the zapping system in RE2. It's like ripping out the core of a lot of what the games were designed around. Is it just because doing the variations on cutscenes is expensive, or because playtesting is expensive? The entire point of those systems was to add a ton of replayability with only a miminal amount of extra asset work, and I can't figure out why that wouldn't scale to current gen.
it's because they want to put a stronger focus on narrative

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
They really should try to port the older games if they're gonna be cutting stuff for the remakes. It's fine to be streamlining but this and RE2 aren't remakes that can completely supplant the originals the way REmake is. They offer a pretty different experience from those games and Capcom needs to make some kind of preservation effort to keep the classics available going forward.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they incorporate Nyx and Tyrant R as bosses and put in the Man Spider from 1.5. Would be cool If Carlos runs into Birkin along the way too.

A bit OT but I'd be down for a REmake demake of RE1. Idk why either.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
it's because they want to put a stronger focus on narrative
Is it? I feel like RE2Make clearly only delivers one canonical version of events, but it actually felt like there was much *less* storytelling than in the original (the main characters barely ever meet and talk to each other or radio each other, there's substantially less explanation of what went down with the Birkins, etc.)

Ariesfirebomb

Jul 3, 2018
Minneapolis
Fuck Resistance, that game was dogshit.

Also sod them getting rid of the player choices and all that came with it. It is one of the great features of the original.

Already the original game sounds like it will be far better. D3make.

some strong opinions for a game mode that's not even released yet.

Lack of mercenaries seems very bizarre but it's Capcom so I'm not entirely surprised given how they messed up REmake 2. Plus having an even more annoying nemesis this time around makes me want to just wait and grab this one on sale.

raygcon

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Not solely, but erasing a fun part for something worthless (to me) makes it a less interesting offer.

No objection. I think Merc was a good additional to original RE3. I'm not sure I'm very interested in project Resistance either.
It's a shame , but it should not stop any RE fan from enjoying the main game. I mean, that's the whole reason why we love this series in the first place. Removing extra mode is kind of the loss, but do not buy it at all? Again, damn. I hope the guy bought Merc game on DS so he can enjoy it to the fullest.

Isamu

Dec 18, 2017
Downtown Rave City
No idea what Mercenaries is, as I never played it, even though I beat RE3 several times. Not sure what I'm missing out on since I have no affinity for it.

Mercenaries is only the greatest videogame in the history of videogames, and I'm not exaggerating. When I call it a game, I mean it. I don't acknowledge it as a mini-game. RE4 Mercs is, without question, the greatest thing since sliced bread.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
some strong opinions for a game mode that's not even released yet.

Lack of mercenaries seems very bizarre but it's Capcom so I'm not entirely surprised given how they messed up REmake 2. Plus having an even more annoying nemesis this time around makes me want to just wait and grab this one on sale.
Resistance had the beta, it was trash.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mercenaries is only the greatest videogame in the history of videogames, and I'm not exaggerating. When I call it a game, I mean it. I don't acknowledge it as a mini-game. RE4 Mercs is, without question, the greatest thing since sliced bread.
I know what RE4 Mercenaries is. I never played Mercenaries on RE3.

A quick YouTube search tells me it's pretty much the same thing. Yeah it was fun in RE4, from what I remember. But I really don't care if it's included or not.

UltraInstinct

Nov 19, 2017
It is a little disappointing to here of some of the exclusions for Re3make.

I get the feeling that RE3 will be similar in template to RE2. Just to preface that I loved RE2 remake and I consider it my GOTY for 2019. Having said that, I still feel that the original RE2 offers the better and fuller experience and is not supplanted by the remake.

RE2 Remake felt almost barebones at times, like considerable amount of content had been cut and rushed through. Soundtrack is non existent, less emphasis on narrative, cutscenes felt flat compared to the original, hardly any interactions between Leon and Claire, disappointing A/B scenario structure which doesn't even make sense, less emphasis on Birkin and the origin of his transformation, various enemy type omissions such as Spiders, Crows, Green Lickers, Skinless Zombies, Moths, the Labs felt rushed.

I'm tempering my expectations for RE3 as I feel it's probably going to be similar to RE2 in many ways.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Next up we learn that you cannot fight Nemesis anymore and have to run everytime as you can now only briefly down him like Mr. X

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I have to say I'm a bit disappointed in things like this, because part of what makes RE3 so interesting to me are specifically the choose-your-own-adventure interludes like this, and the randomization of item placement and puzzles. Assuming the latter is also lacking, which at this point I wouldn't be surprised, this becomes something that has extremely little replay value to me unlike RE2make and the original RE3.

I really liked RE2 Remake. However I did the Leon A, Claire B, Claire A Leon B playthroughs, and honestly there didn't feel like there was much replay value in the campaigns. The differences between the scenarios were very small. If RE3 is longer than RE2's combined scenarios and more varied then that's enough for me.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
It is a little disappointing to here of some of the exclusions for Re3make.

I get the feeling that RE3 will be similar in template to RE2. Just to preface that I loved RE2 remake and I consider it my GOTY for 2019. Having said that, I still feel that the original RE2 offers the better and fuller experience and is not supplanted by the remake.

RE2 Remake felt almost barebones at times, like considerable amount of content had been cut and rushed through. Soundtrack is non existent, less emphasis on narrative, cutscenes felt flat compared to the original, hardly any interactions between Leon and Claire, disappointing A/B scenario structure which doesn't even make sense, less emphasis on Birkin and the origin of his transformation, various enemy type omissions such as Spiders, Crows, Green Lickers, Skinless Zombies, Moths, the Labs felt rushed.

I'm tempering my expectations for RE3 as I feel it's probably going to be similar to RE2 in many ways.
Yeah, same. The way Mr. X works as an unstoppable pursuer (and the *fantastic* level design of the RPD) is really really great stuff, but there are also a bunch of ways in which the game feels diminished.

Next up we learn that you cannot fight Nemesis anymore and have to run everytime as you can now only briefly down him like Mr. X
Yeah, hope not. I'm down for changes to the way he works, but the "fight or flight" choice is a key part of what makes the original game so interesting (and with the RE2Make Mr. X model, 'flight' is the only real choice). The entire point of RE3's rhythm is that you keep killing him and he keeps coming back.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
REmake 2 would have been much better if they just ditched the 2nd run and made Leon's and Clair's campaigns more unique

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
REmake 2 would have been much better if they just ditched the 2nd run and made Leon's and Clair's campaigns more unique

Yeah, same. The way Mr. X works as an unstoppable pursuer (and the *fantastic* level design of the RPD) is really really great stuff, but there are also a bunch of ways in which the game feels diminished.

Sadly at the end of the day, it either feels like the remakes will be slightly pared down flashy and great versions of these old games or not existing at all. I think all of us would prefer fully fleshed out and expanded remakes with tons of content and lengthened campaigns and new stuff but I'm guessing that part of the deal of the development here is that they only have to add a few flourishes here and there, anything longer would drag it from "remake" and into "fully new game" territory

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I keep forgeting about Survivor, it doesnt help that Capcom never ever referenced the events/characters/monsters of it in any other games except that one mention in RE0's intro cutscene.

The only thing relevant about Survivor are it's files.

Though I remember back in the Project Umbrella and News Bot days, they used to say that some of these files are mistranslated and may not be canon ?

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
The spider thing cracks me up. You generally have two extremes: those celebrating hard that they will once again get to avoid those giant, hellish beings and those that are sad that they won't get to fire flame rounds into those furry, bulbous hides.

For me? Spiders are small time. Drain Daemos and Brain Suckers are the things of nightmare and I am both dreading & psyched to run into them. They goin' be nasty!

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
My hype for this game just deflated immensely. They're kinda butchering what made RE3 great. Hopefully the live selection is ingrained in gameplay now. Still, no Mercenaries (which I expected TBH) replaced by Resistance sucks. No word on spiders is also ridiculous.
And alas, OP has not corrected themselves: The live choices have NOT been confirmed to not be in. Someone wrote that based on a tertiary unconfirmed source who claimed to have read the article before we got to do it. If you go look up the scans that can be found across the internet, you get the whole article and all it says is "no multiple endings". No mention of live choices being omitted at all.

Mr. Rod

Jan 17, 2018
And alas, OP has not corrected themselves: The live choices have NOT been confirmed to not be in. Someone wrote that based on a tertiary unconfirmed source who claimed to have read the article before we got to do it. If you go look up the scans that can be found across the internet, you get the whole article and all it says is "no multiple endings". No mention of live choices being omitted at all.
CenturionNami

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The spider thing cracks me up. You generally have two extremes: those celebrating hard that they will once again get to avoid those giant, hellish beings and those that are sad that they won't get to fire flame rounds into those furry, bulbous hides.

For me? Spiders are small time. Drain Daemos and Brain Suckers are the things of nightmare and I am both dreading & psyched to run into them. They goin' be nasty!
I wonder if the frog hunters will swallow Jill/Carlos alive in the remake.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
They really should try to port the older games if they're gonna be cutting stuff for the remakes. It's fine to be streamlining but this and RE2 aren't remakes that can completely supplant the originals the way REmake is. They offer a pretty different experience from those games and Capcom needs to make some kind of preservation effort to keep the classics available going forward.

I still don't know why they couldn't have included the original Resident Evil 2 with the remake of the game (Like as an unlockable if you beat the game or something).

Like the Original RE2 had a lot more story elements that I think fans of the new RE2 could have appreciated if they only had a chance to play it and it looks like Original RE3 will have stuff that won't make the cut in this remake and I lament how Capcom just doesn't seem to care about the legacy.

Like if they released a classic Resident Evil pack with 1 through Code Veronica on modern sales platforms; I'd buy them again.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Seriosuly this. YouTubers already taking some of the wrong info from this interview as facts.

Edit: unless you are talking about RE3 OG, which I also fully agree. This misconception around this game is huge.

Sorry yes I meant with the original game. So much misinformation around the first game everywhere and always in the threads you'll get someone come in with a piece of it like clockwork.

This thread seems to be making its own misinformation with the new RE3 from what I'm reading. This thread needs a remake.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017

The spiders should have at least been replaced with 1.5's cut Man Spiders. Would have been a perfect replacement and imo.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
I like that they're enhancing the AI. Mr. X wasn't that threatening once you got used to him stomping around.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
People keeps complaining about Nemesis's teeth.... but I think they make him seriously more creepy and I'm loving it.

The new design really makes the formerly human parts of him shine. The sideway nose, the streched-out skin, the exposed flesh and teeths. It actually makes you wonder what happened to this guy. It's disturbing and unnerving.
In comparison, the original design looks like a mutated potato. There's no "depth" to it, you don't every think of him as someone who was once human, it's just a monster.
maxresdefault.jpg

(I know it's supposed to be a clone of some general from Umbrella, but that's some very shadowy lore hidden in a side-game where most things are non-canon.)