• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

skillzilla81

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The problem is even if all the white people try to go the deep canvassing route, I don't see minorities just sitting it out. Let's say Trump wins in 2020, plenty of the people in this thread that say they're tired or it's not their responsibility will continue to yell at bigots, call them evil, call them degens, whatever it is. If you have that emotional response, I can't really fault you for it because Trump is a cockroach, but it does tell me that all that you never really wanted to try this out, even if it was white liberals that were doing it. All you wanted was to deny the science and feel bad for yourself.

If it's really white people's job, fine. But don't continue to run in the other direction or tell me to tell Uncle Clarence to his face that he's racist when 10 mins ago you were complaining of how tired you are of dealing with these people.

Does that make sense?

Doesn't make sense at all. Black people been tired and still out here doing the work, and people are saying we're not doing enough.

This isn't about not doing anything. This is asking black people TO DO MORE.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
This isn't particularly groundbreaking, as many have demonstrated its effectiveness over the years.

The issue that arises is who's responsibility is it to do this? Often it seems people who are directly threatened by bigoted views are asked to carry this weight while those unaffected aren't concerned enough to try.

It's absolutely unfair. The weight is completely on their shoulders.

But...
The initiative should spearheaded by powerful allies. Read: straight white people

Last edited:

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree with you that, for the most part, beliefs are instilled.

What you do with those beliefs turn into choices, and bigot/racists need to take full responsibility for those poor choices.

I never disagreed with that. People aren't entirely responsible for their beliefs but they are responsible for their actions.

Oct 25, 2017
Do you at least understand why the victims are resistant, and that your initial post calling them pathetic was really cold and dismissive?
Yes I believe I understand why they're resistant. But I'd prefer if people tried to take something more from the article and the science in general than basically nothing at all. You don't have to literally be canvassing in white trash neighborhoods but their must be SOMETHING in your life that this would apply and can help make the world better.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
The problem is even if all the white people try to go the deep canvassing route, I don't see minorities just sitting it out. Let's say Trump wins in 2020, plenty of the people in this thread that say they're tired or it's not their responsibility will continue to yell at bigots, call them evil, call them degens, whatever it is. If you have that emotional response, I can't really fault you for it because Trump is a cockroach, but it does tell me that all that you never really wanted to try this out, even if it was white liberals that were doing it. All you wanted was to deny the science and feel bad for yourself.

If it's really white people's job, fine. But don't continue to run in the other direction or tell me to tell Uncle Clarence to his face that he's racist when 10 mins ago you were complaining of how tired you are of dealing with these people.

Does that make sense?
This is ridiculous beyond ridiculous. If people call bigots what they are then that shows you that nobody ever wanted to try out the "peaceful" option? Have you considered that MINORITIES HAVE BEEN DOING THAT FOR YEARS AND IT DOESN'T WORK!? Like where do you get off saying this shit my dude? What even MAKES you say this shit?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Yes I believe I understand why they're resistant. But I'd prefer if people tried to take something more from the article and the science in general than basically nothing at all. You don't have to literally be canvassing in white trash neighborhoods but their must be SOMETHING in your life that this would apply and can help make the world better.
May I ask, and I'm asking honestly... are you doing anything to help here personally? And if so are you a minority or someone affected yourself? Forgive me if I missed you say so already ITT.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Belief isn't a choice. If you think otherwise then put it to the test. Think of something you hate, could be a person or a lifestyle choice or even a movie, and try to change your own mind on it without any input from anyone else. Force yourself to believe something you don't currently believe.

i believe this will be a calm productive thread

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who grew up in Nowhere, North Dakota, I think a lot of people are looking at this wrongly. When you try to persuade someone (be it for political or religious reasons), you're not looking for a high percent. It isn't like a school grade where getting under 60% is a failure rate. You measure it in 1 out of 1,000 and then only if you're lucky. It's usually 1 out of 10,000 or even 100,000. And it's hard grueling exhausting work and not everyone is suited to it nor should they be expected to, especially those who are personally affected by bigotry (you don't see me trying to convert those anti-Asian to be more tolerable for instance).

Basically persuading someone is a full-time commitment and half of that is even finding someone who is willing to be persuaded as the vast majority of people are set in their beliefs and are heavily resistant to change. You aren't looking to convince everyone but rather trying to persuade one or two people and hopefully have them also try.

Again, I don't think those affected by bigotry, be they minorities or LGBT+ people, are obligated to do this. It's practically a job (and many actual professions do these persuasive techniques) and most people aren't being paid for it. But I am appreciative of those (especially those who are personally affected by bigotry) who do take them time to do this.

Also, I do think to assume that these persuasion techniques are for converted Nazi's and KKK-members only is wrong. Racism, Sexism, and anti-LGBT+ attitudes are common even among places considered left. Just look at the coronavirus thread here for proof of that.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any post that expresses the sentiment of "well it's not my job to talk to bigots" is what I'm implicitly quoting. It's not like I got any shortage of hostile replies without quoting anyone.

I'd like to know how the non-binary person in the article felt when they first started knocking on people's doors talking to them about gender identity rights in the affirmative and how those feelings compare to someone who deals with racism on the internet and Resetera.

You don't have to risk your life but taking the information and planning to do something, anything with it would be better than just talking about how it's not your job. It's no one's job. Who cares. We only care about outcomes.
This is such a privileged post.

First off, as soon as you mentioned the non-binary doorknocker I already knew they were white. Googled and it checks out. Fact of the matter is Whites rarely have that smoke for other Whites. Had they been Black and non-binary in Massachusetts, they'd have a 0% success rate and this silly idea probably would never cross their minds.

A white person has never been subject to racism, so they won't have a boiling point when trying to convert racists. Go pull up on grandma, friends, family etc.... Racism is Ya'll fucking issue and disease, not mine.

We aren't sheltered assholes experiencing racism on era. We actually live in the real world and are subject to it since birth- through every avenue in society. I spent my whole grade school years making racist white boys pick their jaws off the floor, once I got out of that, with due time I then realized that me and my people were in the four century's old spider's web known as America. There is no safe space for us .

If you must know, I don't let any homophobic shit slide near me (I'm straight) and will speak up defend, and try to convert. I've never been subject to homophobia so there is no boiling point for me on that, outside of witnessing a hate crime or something. You and other White Libs can go have fun having long talks with your people.

Last edited:

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Conflating people's responses online and people's response offline is weird since it's infinitely harder to convert bigots online. The medium just isn't very good to have those kinds of conversations. Hell, how many times have any of us had a text conversation with a loved one go sour because text misses things like tone of voice or nuance? Now we want to address a hyper sensitive and personal topic with someone that has their heels dug in online and is anonymous? That's not going to woek

I also sincerely doubt minorities on this board are saying "fuck you Nazi!" to every real life Trump voter they come across. Nor do I think they're completely incapable of recognizing someone on the fence that just needs a little push to the right side. So giving them space to vent frustrations through a medium that probably wasn't going to convert anyone anyway isn't really hurting any causes.

Regular and physical interactions with people of different backgrounds is what breaks down hatred more than anything. If you're someone that became less bigoted overtime by reading ERA or whatever, I guarantee you just took the very slow way and had an open and empathetic mindset from the start.

Also mental health funding and availability is a huge component here to undoing bigotry. That's really what we're talking about here when discussing bigot conversions anyway.

skillzilla81

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's fine. Just don't expect to change the bigot's mind any other way. You can wait for them to "die off"

::looks at the history of America::

White people are literally willing to kill themselves as long as it punishes brown people. I'm gonna focus on the people that want help and don't want to hurt me.

Oct 25, 2017
May I ask, and I'm asking honestly... are you doing anything to help here personally? And if so are you a minority or someone affected yourself? Forgive me if I missed you say so already ITT.
I am canvassing for a presidential candidate on one of my days off. However, I also only speak to registered Democrats, so that's not a big point for me.

There is a meeting in my legislative district about a new program on reaching out to non-voting independents and Democrats that I'm interested in.

And at the very least I will think harder about using these techniques in my workplace. I work in law enforcement, and there's no shortage of crazy conservative thinking. Lots of disinformation on impeachment and Trump that I want to combat more when I can.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I am canvassing for a presidential candidate on one of my days off. However, I also only speak to registered Democrats, so that's not a big point for me.

There is a meeting in my legislative district about a new program on reaching out to non-voting independents and Democrats that I'm interested in.

And at the very least I will think harder about using these techniques in my workplace. I work in law enforcement, and there's no shortage of crazy conservative thinking. Lots of disinformation on impeachment and Trump that I want to combat more when I can.
That's great, being politically active is a wonderful thing, but I was asking more about the direct confrontation of bigotry and ignorance as we're discussing here.

Have you ever tried/do you put that effort in directly ever? Is that included in the work you do? Does it ever work?

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Some actual points from the data:
Thew new study that this thread is based on shows that deep canvassing is actually only half as effective as the last study from 2016, so claiming that the research has always been there (or something along those lines) isn't really true.

The testing was also only on changing attitudes about immigration and transphobia. I don't think it's necessarily correct to extrapolate this to all forms of bigotry, particularly race given its long and contentious history in this country. I would argue the same goes for sexism too and for homophobia, you'd still probably just get a ton of people referencing the bible.

Finally, and most importantly:
Before beginning the experiment, the partner organizations dedicated 278 unique canvasser shifts to developing the intervention and developing the training. The canvassers in this experiment were paid. They received training when they first started, including following a more experienced canvasser for a day. Throughout the program, they received ongoing training and feedback. The trainings focused on providing canvassers withthe skills to listen to and ask questions of voters in a non-judgmental manner that would elicit narratives from voters about their experiences. Trainings often involved role play and viewing video of past canvas conversations.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
That's fine. Just don't expect to change the bigot's mind any other way. You can wait for them to "die off"

Lol this shit corny AF

This man is full of contempt because minorities dare not engage with racists on the terms he suggests

This is why so many of y'all can't be trusted. Immediately get petty when brown skin don't agree with you smh lmao

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
if it works it works. Knowing the world is shit doesn't help unless you actually do something about it. Yeah it sucks but the alternative is and always has been that nothing ever gets better.
Maybe don't ask victims to do the dirty work while the white liberals get to sit on their asses?

Oct 26, 2017

Does that make sense?
Truly, I get what you're saying, though I can't agree. You're saying you can't fault people of color, or minorities in general, for their emotional response, then go on to assume they never really cared to make an attempt in the first place. Just to be completely clear, are you truly saying that minorities just want to feel bad for themselves by telling Uncle Clarence to his face that he's a piece of shit racist? The act of having an emotional response, which you say you don't fault them for, is itself a sign of not caring?

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
I am infinitely more sympathetic to someone who tried the "peaceful" option and repeatedly failed, and has now had it, then someone who
Excuse me? Why in the world does it matter who you are or aren't sympathetic to? I'm asking why are you acting as if the people who say they're tired and are complaining have not been constantly trying to do the convincing all their lives? ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY ARE OUTRIGHT TELLING YOU THAT'S BEEN THE CASE!

Oct 25, 2017
That's great, being politically active is a wonderful thing, but I was asking more about the direct confrontation of bigotry and ignorance as we're discussing here.

Have you ever tried/do you put that effort in directly ever? Is that included in the work you do? Does it ever work?
I couldn't tell you if it works in the way you're thinking. As many have pointed out, there's a low chance of success, and even the article mentions there's a timetable on how long an effective deep canvass has on someone. But at least it was enough to save the legislation.

It's not whether or not it works in that it was a huge success that single handedly saves the Democracy, but more effective than the alternative. I think I've caught coworkers off guard with being non combative on a subject. There was one coworker I had that made the insane arguments that native americans should've ever complain about European colonization because "we" (I say we because I'm white) brought them jobs and technology I think were the words used. I tried to refrain from calling that the dumbest and most ahistorical thing I've ever heard and asked her more about why jobs and technology were necessarily a good thing. I think I relayed it back to her smartphone and is she knows people that try to use less of their smartphone/TV/etc. Silly arguments if I'm being honest. I tried to wrap around to the trail of tears and such, but she very quickly reversed her talking points when I just started asking basic questions about her argument.

Like I said, no idea what she thinks now. But it wasn't ever a call out, only me best effort at getting her to unravel her thinking on her own.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe don't ask victims to do the dirty work while the white liberals get to sit on their asses?
It's anyone who has the power to speak up for other victims, that's not restricted to white liberals. I don't expect poc to talk racists down, but I wouldn't mind them having my back or taking the initiative to speak up against LGBTQ+ hate.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
It's anyone who has the power to speak up for other victims, that's not restricted to white liberals. I don't expect poc to talk racists down, but I wouldn't mind them having my back or taking the initiative to speak up against LGBTQ+ hate.

If it's a group effort, sure.
If it's asking vulnerable people to go risk everything that's a big no.

I couldn't tell you if it works in the way you're thinking. As many have pointed out, there's a low chance of success, and even the article mentions there's a timetable on how long an effective deep canvass has on someone. But at least it was enough to save the legislation.
So that's great it just means that it's only needed in election time.
No need to bother anyone's ass for no reason and ask for minorities to go to bat for no reason

astro

Oct 25, 2017

It's not whether or not it works in that it was a huge success that single handedly saves the Democracy, but more effective than the alternative. I think I've caught coworkers off guard with being non combative on a subject. There was one coworker I had that made the insane arguments that native americans should've ever complain about European colonization because "we" (I say we because I'm white) brought them jobs and technology I think were the words used. I tried to refrain from calling that the dumbest and most ahistorical thing I've ever heard and asked her more about why jobs and technology were necessarily a good thing. I think I relayed it back to her smartphone and is she knows people that try to use less of their smartphone/TV/etc. Silly arguments if I'm being honest. I tried to wrap around to the trail of tears and such, but she very quickly reversed her talking points when I just started asking basic questions about her argument.

Like I said, no idea what she thinks now. But it wasn't ever a call out, only me best effort at getting her to unravel her thinking on her own.
It's good that you stand by this via your actions, many do not.

I'm going to assume you're not ta minority directly affected as you didn't answer that question, and I hope you realize how much harder it this for them to take the initiative and reach out to the people directly harming them. And that it isn't pathetic to be too tired, frustrated, angry to even want to try.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
A pathetic thread. People will make up any number of excuses to stay in their comfy internet bubble is all I'm seeing.
What comfy bubble? Here?

This forum is a target for alt-right sites, A. And B, wait until February hits. It's going to be full of ignorance and sealioning in regards to anti-black racism and biases because not even self-described progressives are immune to cultural conditioning.

Bullshit that minorities have a bubble on the Internet that isn't private Discord chats. And even more bullshit you have a problem with them desiring one.

not every bigot is a maga hat wearer. there are people with bigoted views everywhere, could be a colleague at work or a friend. of course you should not compromise your health or safety. those who are less at risk of violence should do the more "dangerous" work. it's not "saving the country", it's improving everyone's living space and hopefully reducing the power those people - and therefore those views - have over everyone.
Plenty of people in this thread have said that unless we do this, nothing will get better (demonstrably false, but for the sake of argument, let's go with it). That is inherently putting a responsibility on people, or perhaps more importantly a false dichotomy: Denigrate yourself to empathize yourself with people who never have any responsibility to empathize with you to change minds, or don't and continue allowing the right to win. You can see why minorities aren't willing to put up with that, because patience and empathy are finite.

As well, my colleagues are either minorities themselves or they don't talk politics in this manner. I have very few opportunities to even enrage with close people. For the people who do have these opportunities (aka white leftists, and even centrists), they should be doing that work. But after every bullshit microaggression or even overt MAGAt gloating I face every day, or the bullshit I deal with online, I don't want to entertain bigots. And there's nothing wrong with that. If you want to, I'm not going to stop you.

Just don't drag me into it, unless you're willing to compensate me.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
If it's a group effort, sure.
If it's asking vulnerable people to go risk everything that's a big no.
Individuals absolutely can and should stand up against ignorance and hate if hey have the power to. I'm a little confused by your response to my comment... I'm suggesting the absolute opposite of vulnerable people putting themselves on the line.

Oct 25, 2017
Truly, I get what you're saying, though I can't agree. You're saying you can't fault people of color, or minorities in general, for their emotional response, then go on to assume they never really cared to make an attempt in the first place. Just to be completely clear, are you truly saying that minorities just want to feel bad for themselves by telling Uncle Clarence to his face that he's a piece of shit racist? The act of having an emotional response, which you say you don't fault them for, is itself a sign of not caring?
It's a sign of not caring about this method of empathizing with racists and getting better outcomes if they (a) shirk the responsibility of trying to go this route with people wherever they can and (b) go in the opposite direction anyway of advocating for yelling in people's faces. Obviously minorities care very deeply about these issues either way. But I do find it "pathetic" if someone in this thread follows the above narrative
So that's great it just means that it's only needed in election time.
No need to bother anyone's ass for no reason and ask for minorities to go to bat for no reason
I am only interested in good outcomes, not making minorities work unnecessarily. So if it's someone's position that they'll do the dirty deed of talking to racists only when it matters at election time if that's the way they see it, that's good enough for me.
It's good that you stand by this via your actions, many do not.

I'm going to assume you're not ta minority directly affected as you didn't answer that question, and I hope you realize how much harder it this for them to take the initiative and reach out to the people directly harming them. And that it isn't pathetic to be too tired, frustrated, angry to even want to try.
I would not consider myself a minority directly affected.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Truth be told, as a Black person unless you give a shit about the White person you are speaking to (friend, in-law whatever) talking to White people about race is a colossal waste of time and energy.

My time is better spent encouraging my own people or sharing the knowledge that they've been denied in schools. I'd much rather instill pride, righteous fury, light a Black spark and watch our youth succeed than waste my time speaking words that will go in one ear and out the other.

The other thing some White Libs don't realize, is both you and a Black person can tell the racist the exact same thing in the same manner and tone. The racist asshat will predictably be less respectful, less open-minded, and more hostile when the speaker is Black.

Lol I literally have stupid friends that didn't support Kaepernick but "got it" once Rapinoe protested. That type of stupidity is uncoachable. Y'all Libs go have fun with that, I'm not going to expose myself to more racism than I need to.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I would not consider myself a minority directly affected.
And yet you decided to attack the thread.

The other thing some White Libs don't realize, is both you and a Black person can tell the racist the exact same thing in the same manner and tone. The racist asshat will predictably be less respectful, less open-minded, and more hostile when the speaker is Black.
Yep.

This is why Tim Wise gets paid to speak the things black and brown people have been saying at the cost of our safety for centuries.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Individuals absolutely can and should stand up against ignorance and hate if hey have the power to. I'm a little confused by your response to my comment... I'm suggesting the absolute opposite of vulnerable people putting themselves on the line.
If you're suggesting that it's the duty of minorities to educate others or face annihilation, this is what you're saying.

I am only interested in good outcomes, not making minorities work unnecessarily. So if it's someone's position that they'll do the dirty deed of talking to racists only when it matters at election time if that's the way they see it, that's good enough for me.
If we're talking about strategizing for deep canvassing, I have no problem choosing the correct people to do the correct work.
I'm not gonna ask or revile a black woman because she can't do that because she has to work to put food in her home though.
Even if her help could mean a racist gets to vote a little less racist next time.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Here's the thing, yeah?

Minorities should speak their mind, but like, why would you want someone who is seen as "the enemy" to convince the people who see them as "the enemy" that they aren't "the enemy?" That's counterproductive. Wouldn't it mean more coming from someone who they would probably see as an ally?

To be blunt: Saying "hey maybe non-whites should be treated the same as whites" would mean more to a white bigot if it came from a white person rather than a non-white person. I don't think that's even remotely a hot take.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
If you're suggesting that it's the duty of minorities to educate others or face annihilation, this is what you're saying.
I think you need to read my posts again.

A minority can have power in another situation where another minority is the victim. I could be in a room full of people who accept my LGBTQ+ nature and were being racist, for example, I would have power there to speak up.

Oct 26, 2017
Darryl Davis literally now goes to bat for white supremacists who get arrested at white supremacist terror rallies because they're his friends.... so uh I think they worked on him not vice versa.
My problem with Daryl is that he should leave white people thinking, "if Daryl could do this, with the odds completely stacked against him, maybe I put my foot in the ring and try to better the world too?" But instead, I've seen white people use Daryl as an example to throw at people of color. "You should be more like Daryl!" Nah. Wrong takeaway.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Truth be told, as a Black person unless you give a shit about the White person you are speaking to (friend, in-law whatever) talking to White people about race is a colossal waste of time and energy.

My time is better spent encouraging my own people or sharing the knowledge that they've been denied in schools. I'd much rather instill pride, righteous fury, light a Black spark and watch our youth succeed than waste my time speaking words that will go in one ear and out the other.

Lol I literally have stupid friends that didn't support Kaepernick but "got it" once Rapinoe protested. That type of stupidity is uncoachable. Y'all Libs have fun with it, I'm not going to expose myself to more racism than I need to.
Yep.

Fighting the self-hatred that the culture is radiating into children and adults of color is a full time job and keep people perpetually fragile. Those people should not be asked to further risk their state of being to possibly, maybe, probably not change some random white person's mind. It's just not worth the risk or pain.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
This is presented as hopeful, but the best solution to racism being extreme amounts of emotional labor from whatever saintly people are capable of it, converting people one-by-one, with a decent but certainly not universal success rate, is a pretty rough reality. There is no scalable, systemic solution. Maybe you can look to ways to reduce educational and housing segregation to make these personal interactions more likely, but that's kind of it. Other than that, it's just arduous conversion, one-by-one, to make each generation incrementally better than the next. The best that's possible is what we already knew was possible.

Like, if that's the best we've got, I think it's still sort of an open question if aggressive repression of racists through social censure (i.e., cancelling) may be more socially useful than actually trying to convert racists away from their beliefs. 100 timid and ashamed racists may be better than 99 who expect people to listen to all their grievances and one former racist who's seen the light.

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Months): Dismissing and antagonising minority members and perspectives in regards to bigotry.
You keep avoiding the point I'm trying to raise here... I'm not sure if you agree with it or disagree at this point.

Do you stand by your "pathetic" comment? Honestly asking.
The reason I'm avoiding the point is because I can try to illustrate my thinking but if I directly try to answer your question it'll come off as virtue signaling.

I stand by my pathetic comment in the context of a narrow subset of people, more narrow than my original comment implied: people that shirk the responsibility of engaging with bigots because they're sick of doing it (fine on its own), but then ALSO run in the other direction of calling bigots out with vitriol are pathetic. Why? Because it reveals you were either disingenuous about acknowledging the validity of the science in the first place or more concerned with getting a short-term emotional catharsis of calling someone out then letting the white liberals talking to the racists play out and produce better outcomes.

I think that both those scenarios rise to the level of pathetic. But not all that come out and so no thanks, I'm not interested are pathetic.
And yet you decided to attack the thread.
I don't think the thread is above reproach because I'm not directly affected. This is an ad hominem.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
My problem with Daryl is that he should leave white people thinking, "if Daryl could do this, with the odds completely stacked against him, maybe I put my foot in the ring and try to better the world too?" But instead, I've seen white people use Daryl as an example to throw at people of color. "You should be more like Daryl!" Nah. Wrong takeaway.

They also should just not think of Daryl Davis because he indeed did not do it.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I think part of it is getting the person out of the "heated" state they're in before stating your side of an issue. Unfortunately that sometimes means letting them go on their rant to completion, and THEN talking to them.

I see it happen with my dad sometimes. He may not end up agreeing with me on the spot, but he doesn't push back or pull conspiracy nonsense out of his ass if I let him calm down a bit first after letting him yammer on.

I make sure to never agree with anything he says either or act like he's giving me new info, I just listen and only answer specific questions he peppers in there, ie: "...they're going to try and throw Trump in jail. You know who Pelosi is, right?" (i nod or say yeah) "She's the one doing all this..."

I can understand how unintuitive and "wrong" it feels to work with bigots this way though.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Are you're saying white liberals have a duty to combat racism?
They don't face systemic challenge for their continued existence so yeah.

It's the MLK effect, put a minority on a pedestal while scrubbing anything from it and ask all minorities to stand to that standard to keep them down.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
They don't face systemic challenge for their continued existence so yeah.
What if those white liberals are LGBTQ+?

It's not the duty of cis straight PoC to speak up for LGBTQ+ folk?

The reason I'm avoiding the point is because I can try to illustrate my thinking but if I directly try to answer your question it'll come off as virtue signaling.

I stand by my pathetic comment in the context of a narrow subset of people, more narrow than my original comment implied: people that shirk the responsibility of engaging with bigots because they're sick of doing it (fine on its own), but then ALSO run in the other direction of calling bigots out with vitriol are pathetic. Why? Because it reveals you were either disingenuous about acknowledging the validity of the science in the first place or more concerned with getting a short-term emotional catharsis of calling someone out then letting the white liberals talking to the racists play out and produce better outcomes.

I think that both those scenarios rise to the level of pathetic. But not all that come out and so no thanks, I'm not interested are pathetic.
Then, honestly, I truly do not think you understand how hard it is for minorities to face this kind of ignorance and hate as often as they do.

It's not pathetic if a person has gotten to the point they don't want to reach out to a bigot and can only respond with anger.

So you see that you're privileged to be able to view this more objectively, and that for many of the people you're calling pathetic for only responding with anger have been oppressed by ignorance and hate their entire lives