• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
I got the new model today. I immediately noticed differences in the build as soon as I took it out of the package. Mind you the differences were very minor, but the casing material felt different, more sturdy? The screen's colours seemed a bit better as well? The Joy-cons too felt different when I get the unit up. All these could be placebo, but overall the impression I got was, as advertised, that I was holding an improved model of the Switch.

I noticed the same things. Definitely sturdier.

Froli

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
It's available now In my area. Do you guys think I should buy this now? or wait for Lite and more analysis
This would be my first Nintendo Switch
Overall I'm just worried about the Joycon drift issues.

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
It's available now In my area. Do you guys think I should buy this now? or wait for Lite and more analysis

Yeah I keep checking this thread hoping for confirmation that the joycons have been fixed (or at least confirmation that the problem is still ongoing even in the new model). If it's been fixed then I'll likely get it Black Friday or Christmas/Boxing week. If it hasn't then I'll have to think about it...

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
I'm going to hold off on updating, I'm pretty happy with the screen color of my current switch and I dont want to risk getting a pea green screen switch. I would like a longer battery life but it's not worth the risk.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, random question, but with this deal I could get $120 for my One S that's just collecting dust - is that a good deal?

Which One S do you have atm? Depending on that the values change but yea, if you look at the trade in section, enter your console, and then add in $25 that's how much store credit you'll get.

As for if it's a good deal, a new 1 TB Xbox One S with a game bundled in cost around $230-250. I'm guessing you could sell your One S on offer up/craigslist for at least $150, but that's not guaranteed and could be more of a hassle.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
Got my upgrade! Ymmv. Took some calling around to find a color model. Then finding a Gamestop that let me do the return and rebuy with the credit.

ColonelForbin

Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone know if the new models have hit Costco? They have a bundle but I'm just not sure if it's the new SKU. There doesn't appear to be a way to tell on their website.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Hmm, so how many colour panels are on the new Switch?? Seems like its the 3DS XL upgrade fiasco all over with different screens having bland and warm colour palettes. If thats the case, I think I'll hold off on my OG Switch and wait next year when they'll probably sort out the screen source fiasco.

Feeroper

Oct 25, 2017
I have a weird question about the system transfer process as I am strongly considering picking the new model up for the added battery - when you transfer everything, will the tiles for the games you have on your account (card or digital) still be displayed on the switch menu? Or do they only come back when you re-download digital titles or re-insert cards? I like having all the tiles visible.

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
Is there a good way to tell if your screen has more accurate colors other than going and buying a new one and gambling? It's hard to tell with my current one just by looking at it, except that I know it was noticeably warmer than my launch unit.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
I have a weird question about the system transfer process as I am strongly considering picking the new model up for the added battery - when you transfer everything, will the tiles for the games you have on your account (card or digital) still be displayed on the switch menu? Or do they only come back when you re-download digital titles or re-insert cards? I like having all the tiles visible.
If you mean on the new system, then no. You'll have to re-download/reinsert every single one.

Dynamic3

Oct 31, 2017
Which One S do you have atm? Depending on that the values change but yea, if you look at the trade in section, enter your console, and then add in $25 that's how much store credit you'll get.

As for if it's a good deal, a new 1 TB Xbox One S with a game bundled in cost around $230-250. I'm guessing you could sell your One S on offer up/craigslist for at least $150, but that's not guaranteed and could be more of a hassle.

It's the Storm Grey 500GB (Battlefield 1 edition).

KnightOwl

Oct 25, 2017
This is a bit off topic from the new switch but I want to buy an additional switch dock for my bedroom and it seems impossible to find one right now. Amazon, Best Buy, Target and Walmart all out of stock, only 3rd party sellers selling refurbed ones. What is going on? Where can I get an official one?

treble

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anecdotally, the screen on my new switch is much brighter on max brightness than my old one. We are a two switch household, so it was easy to check. I was surprised how much brighter the new one is, though it's just a data point and not indicative of a trend.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It's the Storm Grey 500GB (Battlefield 1 edition).

Up to you tbh, I think if you think it's a good amount of money, go for it. You also have roughly a month to decide, not bad.
This is a bit off topic from the new switch but I want to buy an additional switch dock for my bedroom and it seems impossible to find one right now. Amazon, Best Buy, Target and Walmart all out of stock, only 3rd party sellers selling refurbed ones. What is going on? Where can I get an official one?

I think Nintendo sells refurbished ones?

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Oct 26, 2017
I'll wait with those pee screens. My switch isn't super bright and neutral but it definitely isn't as bad as that. A shame as big battery life means a lot to me.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe you can make some comparisons using this video?

This is the experience I had too. The first new switch I got was noticeably dimmer (id say around 15%) than my launch unit. That one had a dead pixel so I returned it to Target and went to Best Buy so to avoid getting one from the same batch. The replacement I got is slightly brighter but not as bright as my launch unit and not as warm as the one I returned. The new one I have now though seems to have scan lines when things are moving but not when standing still. Mostly noticed it when playing games with flatter colors (dragon ball fighterz)

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017

Most places just don't stock them because they did not sell very much. Nintendo is asking a lot for those and they are just not worth it. There are some 3rd party ones that works well. Go look at some of those and read the reviews.

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
I would imagine you can get a AC Adapter and HDMI cable for less than the $50 difference between a refurb dock and the full package quite easily, especially the HDMI cable, which are practically given away these days.

Edit: $30 for a USB-C charger that has some extra USB ports to boot.

I've heard that the Nintendo Switch Dock doesn't play nicely with USB-PD chargers since Nintendo Switch isn't compliant with USB-PD specifications. So people are recommending to use only the official Nintendo Switch AC adapter for the Nintendo Switch Dock.

Deleted member 49166

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I've heard that the Nintendo Switch Dock doesn't play nicely with USB-PD chargers since Nintendo Switch isn't compliant with USB-PD specifications. So people are recommending to use only the official Nintendo Switch AC adapter for the Nintendo Switch Dock.

There are updated reports about and the Switch has an PD Chip doing the power negotiations. That's said I only use the OEM charger for docked mode (however I use a jumpgate dock and a Gulikit dock instead of the Nintendo one).
For charging I used all kind of chargers.

I never had problems so far. The problem stems from the non PD chip in the Niko dock and cheap 3rd party adaptors.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
So Erica Griffin just released a video on YouTube about the Nintendo Switch revision.

Wow this sucks. I'm glad I already went out and got mine, because if I had known there was a significant screen lottery beforehand, I don't think I would've bothered. Looks like I got lucky too, or those with these green-tinted screens are getting unlucky, cause mine has a very neutral, slightly-warm white balance as far as I can tell.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
This is my main concern. I'm all in on the Lite, but if there's no improvement on existing joycon stick issues, I would go for the new regular Switch because at least the sticks aren't part of the console itself like they will be on the Lite.

Chinner

Oct 25, 2017
The screen lottery thing is standard, but also annoying. The screen in my switch is p good so feel like I have everything to lose when I do actually upgrade 😔

Status
Not open for further replies.