• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheChamp

Abused the Buy/Sell/Trade thread
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was going to buy one in a week but wondering if it's worth waiting a little longer to be sure I'll receive the newer version

storaføtter

Oct 26, 2017
Was going to switch but reading about a more warmer/yellow screen turns me off. Will wait for more tests and impressions. On the other hand it is annoying to play games only lasting 2:30 - 3 hours. Rabbids, DQB2 and Fire Emblem are quite power hungry. Portable gaming with high battery is important for me. Hated the launch 3DS for hardly lasting.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
Did someone say earlier in the thread that the system transfer doesn't save playtimes?

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This article, by The Verge, is interesting (likely, already posted here). It discusses the names written on the various Switch boards, as revealed by the FCC filings.

Switch (OG): ODIN
Switch Lite: VALI
Switch (revised): MODIN (Modified ODIN)

The most powerful son, of Odin, is still available; THOR.

Last edited:

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
This article, by The Verge, is interesting (likely, already posted here). It discusses the names written on the various Switch boards, as revealed by the FCC filings.

Switch (OG): ODIN
Switch Lite: VALI
Switch (revised): MODIN (Modified ODIN)

The most powerful son, of Odin, is still available; THOR.

That's neat. There's also Baldr, Vidarr, Tyr, Hod, Bragi, Meili, Nepr, Ali, Hildolfr, Hermodr, Heimdallr, Hodr, Saemingr, Sigi, Skjoldr, Yngvi-Freyr, and Itreksjod available for naming. Can't wait to see the YouTube videos confirming seventeen more types of Switch on the way!

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's neat. There's also Baldr, Vidarr, Tyr, Hod, Bragi, Meili, Nepr, Ali, Hildolfr, Hermodr, Heimdallr, Hodr, Saemingr, Sigi, Skjoldr, Yngvi-Freyr, and Itreksjod available for naming. Can't wait to see the YouTube videos confirming seventeen more types of Switch on the way!

Switch Pro would be fitting with THOR on the board. Didn't know Odin had so many sons!

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My move to the new Switch is complete! I re-downloaded the rest of my games last night (really a shame you can't easily swap them over) and traded in my day one model to Gamestop. $100 for a better battery, new JoyCon, and a game cart flap that actually closes feels nice!

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I'm not expecting another update this year. But an enhanced, bezel-less version next spring/summer would be nice, like this (will never happen I know):

SwitchUP-Olivier-Raymond-Hover-TG.jpg

Unfortunately none of the teardowns so far look into the display technology.

I would have bought a Switch lite that looks like that day 1. What we are getting really doesn't interest me so far... have to see it in person and hold it before I make a final decision.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. That's a real bummer for me. I loved that view.

Also, I mentioned earlier that my images did not transfer.

All of my screenshots were on my SD Card, which was even more odd. I plugged the card into my new Switch knowing full well that it would "format" it. Turns out that formatting just removed the games, not my screenshots.

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017
Wait... So, hypothetically, if I put 100 hours into BOTW on the launch Switch, I would need to play another 105 hours on the new Switch for it to show up?

Marvel Ultimate Alliance shows up at 20 Hours on my Play Activity. If I want it to start increasing again I'll need to play another 20 hours and then it'll show 25 if I'm not mistaken.

Deleted member 49166

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Wait... So, hypothetically, if I put 100 hours into BOTW on the launch Switch, I would need to play another 105 hours on the new Switch for it to show up?

When I changed my switch, the 90h of Zelda play wasn't shown, and it doesn't make sense that it only increases once you surpase the playtime on the new system. The game should show 205h and not 105 when I play another 105h on top of the original 100h.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
I just played some Fire Emblem: Three Houses on my launch day Switch. Headphones, no internet connected and half brightness & volume.

In just around 2 hours I'm down to 35% battery. Why is Fire Emblem a battery hog? It doesn't seem like an especially demanding game.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Forgot auto brightness was a thing so I deleted my other post

Had both launch and revision on fortnite 100% brightness

After 1 hour and 15+ minutes , used two different accounts and put them in the same position of a tree in team rumble

Revision: 86% battery life

Launch: 67% battery life
If you bought it at launch, we can't expect a two and half years battery to be at 100% capacity.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I just played some Fire Emblem: Three Houses on my launch day Switch. Headphones, no internet connected and half brightness & volume.

In just around 2 hours I'm down to 35% battery. Why is Fire Emblem a battery hog? It doesn't seem like an especially demanding game.

Speculation is that Koei Tecmo's engine is just not very well optimized.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017

If you have 35% battery left then you'd have a bit over 3 hours playtime of the game so sounds about what you'd expect from OG Switch no?

Alderaan

Apr 15, 2018
Picked up new Switch yesterday at Bay Area Gamestop (Called 5, only 1 got them in, 1 other says UPS shipment is late but coming this week, rest had no idea). They got 10 in, and would only hold them for 1 hour over phone so had to rush over there at lunch from work.

System and user transfer is a pain. new Switch isn't on the latest OS, so I couldn't even do an account transfer from the initial startup screen. Had to update switch then go back and do all that. Also not having the ability to say "Download all Saved Cloud Data" was not fun. Unless I missed something I had to go to each game and click download data. OG switch was not de-registered as primary so had to manually de-register to make new switch the primmary.

So Nintendo does have work to do when it comes to moving to a new switch from an old one. I feel like this will be same issue for users upgrading from OG to lite in a month or so.

Overall, DL speeds seem to be a little faster, but not much else is different. Still had to leave it plugged in overnight to DL everything. One thing I noticed is the kickstand has a silicon edge to it. Did the original have that? I have an aftermarket stand on my OG so don't remember if it did. I also noticed that the Joycon's on the new one are a little tighter and harder to "un dock" from the console as my OG. This could very well be just the difference from a new system to a 2 year switch that has gotten worn in over time.

Today will go through and double check make sure Screen is in good order, and then start testing my main game rotation. Sucks that Playtime is now screwed up though as I am not sure if I am going to put in another 100+ hours in BOTW just to get the ticker to start again.

Dodoow

Oct 30, 2017
Picked up new Switch yesterday at Bay Area Gamestop (Called 5, only 1 got them in, 1 other says UPS shipment is late but coming this week, rest had no idea). They got 10 in, and would only hold them for 1 hour over phone so had to rush over there at lunch from work.

System and user transfer is a pain. new Switch isn't on the latest OS, so I couldn't even do an account transfer from the initial startup screen. Had to update switch then go back and do all that. Also not having the ability to say "Download all Saved Cloud Data" was not fun. Unless I missed something I had to go to each game and click download data. OG switch was not de-registered as primary so had to manually de-register to make new switch the primmary.

So Nintendo does have work to do when it comes to moving to a new switch from an old one. I feel like this will be same issue for users upgrading from OG to lite in a month or so.

Overall, DL speeds seem to be a little faster, but not much else is different. Still had to leave it plugged in overnight to DL everything. One thing I noticed is the kickstand has a silicon edge to it. Did the original have that? I have an aftermarket stand on my OG so don't remember if it did. I also noticed that the Joycon's on the new one are a little tighter and harder to "un dock" from the console as my OG. This could very well be just the difference from a new system to a 2 year switch that has gotten worn in over time.

Today will go through and double check make sure Screen is in good order, and then start testing my main game rotation. Sucks that Playtime is now screwed up though as I am not sure if I am going to put in another 100+ hours in BOTW just to get the ticker to start again.

Was the account transfer itself successfull? Do you know for sure that playtime is not transferred and resetted?

I really want to know if a successfull transfer will keep uodating the playtime propperly.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017

The ticker could get patched. Don't even worry about it. Not worth playing a bunch of hrs on a game just to have it show on your profile anyway

Dodoow

Oct 30, 2017
What's the source on this? I was at 45 hours played on Phoenix Wright before transferring, and I just hit 50 hours played this morning on my new Switch.
Good to hear!
That the playtime sometime doesn't correctly transfers has propably something the do with problems along the way.

My theory is that playtime is a local thing that transfers to the server. The server only increases when the local time does. if your account has issues transferring the playtime will reset. so the server won't be updated untill you past the old time played.

Maxflier

Nov 22, 2017
Louisiana
All of my screenshots were on my SD Card, which was even more odd. I plugged the card into my new Switch knowing full well that it would "format" it. Turns out that formatting just removed the games, not my screenshots.

I was pleasantly surprised by this as well. The screen shots were all I really cared about getting moved over so it was nice to skip the step of having to move everything from the PC back up onto the card after.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It sounds like you might have selected the wrong option. There's an option to transfer save data, and one that transfers your profile AND save data. I don't blame you for missing it, as I almost did the save data option at first too.

That makes the process moderately easier. As it brought my saves and profile over in one move. It also asks if you want to make the new Switch your primary or if you want to continue playing games on it.

Alderaan

Apr 15, 2018
It sounds like you might have selected the wrong option. There's an option to transfer save data, and one that transfers your profile AND save data. I don't blame you for missing it, as I almost did the save data option at first too.

That makes the process moderately easier. As it brought my saves and profile over in one move. It also asks if you want to make the new Switch your primary or if you want to continue playing games on it.

Okay good to know, sounds like I did miss it. I remember the guide where I said transfer data but I also selected that I also want to keep playing games on my old SwitcH. Hopefully I did miss it and the process is actually better than what I did.

I will try this again in a couple of months when I get my Switch lite (darn Pokémon version not coming till November)

Advc

Nov 3, 2017

Ughhh, bye then the desire to buy the new Switch. Waaaay too much hazzle to transfer stuff and you can't even have them all transferred properly. How Nintendo keeps getting away with shit like this??

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Ughhh, bye then the desire to buy the new Switch. Waaaay too much hazzle to transfer stuff and you can't even have them all transferred properly. How Nintendo keeps getting away with shit like this??
I don't think that person did it right.

The transfer process transfers the saves for you. I did it last night. You do need to redownload the games though.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
Just got my new model from GameStop today. Amazon didn't differentiate so I had to schlepp out to Nashua like a caveman. Going to do the transfer when I get home and hopefully be ready for my trip to Iowa on Friday.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Got mine today. Comparing to two other Switch's, this is warmer than my launch Switch, but still a bit cooler than my brother's Switch from earlier this year.

If I had to give them TV settings:

Launch Switch: Cool 1
Switch from 6 months ago: Warm 2
New Switch: Warm 1

Over all, I still think the Switch from 6 months ago is noticeably the best, but this one gets slightly brighter.

Body of the Switch also feels matte versus a somewhat semi glossy feel of the launch unit. It also feels sturdier, joycons feel firm in place, while a tad wiggly on the launch unit.

Last edited:

minimalism

Jan 9, 2018
I don't think that person did it right.

The transfer process transfers the saves for you. I did it last night. You do need to redownload the games though.
Yeah for sure. The things that stink about it are

1. It's not automatic in downloading games.
  2. You have to add. Each. Individual. Game. To. Your. Download. Queue. Seriously, I have like 80 digital games, it felt so inefficient.
  3. To me downloads seem to take forever. Almost 12 hours of constant downloading and only like 70 percent of my games were done.

Last edited:

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Yeah for sure. The things that stink about it are

1. It's not automatic in downloading games.
  2. You have to add. Each. Individual. Game. To. Your. Download. Queue. Seriously, I have like 80 digital games, it felt so inefficient.
  3. To me downloads seem to take forever. Almost 12 hours of content downloading and only like percent of my games were done.
My downloads have been going really well but with a full 400gb memory card this would have been much nicer if I could have just swapped in my older one and had all the games available.

Status
Not open for further replies.