• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
With all the fiddling around Nintendo is doing Switch feels more like the true successor to PSP than Vita did.

Oct 25, 2017
WSJ said Nintendo was planning to release an enhanced Switch with features catering to enthusiasts.
Also mentioned nicer quality screens (sharp's liquid crystal was the example).

Not sure if Nintendo's saving those features till closer to launch or...WSJ was just wrong? Guess we'll see after some reviews/impressions.
Also kind of nuts that WSJ leaked such a big 'nothing' a year before it released.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
I hope this means we will find the "older" model for cheap! But I guess the Lite will be a problem for that... wouldnt make sense to see on the shelves the more complete Switch at the same price... or just a little more...

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the lite model isnt much smaller at all. It's one inch?
the OG battery cannot fit in the Switch Lite

936z4x909h931.png

4FROTCCPM2kAyL41.full

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
WSJ said Nintendo was planning to release an enhanced Switch with features catering to enthusiasts.

Not sure if Nintendo's saving those features till closer to launch or...WSJ was just wrong? Guess we'll see after some reviews/impressions.
Also kind of nuts that WSJ leaked such a big 'nothing' a year before it released.
They could be wrong. Didn't they said the Lite will be able to dock?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

Well we don't know if this screen will be any better or not. But beyond that they only had access to sources in manufacturing. From the perspective of someone making this chip they know it can perform like 50% better or so. They don't know how exactly Nintendo will use that extra juice (and we don't either, they could still increase performance in docked mode).

They could be wrong. Didn't they said the Lite will be able to dock?

No I think that was Nikkei.

RobFox64tm

Oct 30, 2017
That's quite an improvement, actually. Not worth dumping another $300 on, of course, but a nice bonus for late adopters.

BobLablow

Apr 18, 2018
Might wait for a Black Friday deal, then trade it in my old one to Amazon, even though the trade in value might tank by then.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I feel for you. I did hold out my switch purchase in wait for better models.

Knowing Nintendo they wont discount the older model either.

They're probably not manufacturing the older model anymore. And they effectively have been discounting them for months now ($30-35 eShop credit with purchase in most major regions).

This is Japan only right now right?

No, this is launching everywhere.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
So we have:

- Smaller Switch which helps Portability.

- Longer Life Switch which helps Portability.

Hard choice.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
So the standard model is here to stay. Huge improvement for battery life and further makes switch lite not worth getting. They can definitely do a clock increase if they want to. If they do, then maybe I'll get it if it's 1.5x or more. As it stands, since I rarely play handheld, I'm not gonna buy this one.

I wish they came out with a pro sooner than later. March 2020 would be good.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
Wow there it is. That's a crazy battery improvement. That is my only complaint really about the original.

Mark1

Oct 30, 2017
Is this available to pre-order on Amazon yet?

This does look really nice, that extended battery life is such a changer for traveling.

Do you think they will phase out the OG model? As they are extremely similar

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
Thats a big difference.

I think I'll keep my launch switch as I play mostly docked but if I was a portable guy I would consider changing

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
Very cool for people that haven't picked one up yet or are looking for more portable time. It's still not enough for me to consider upgrading, but that sku may be coming down the line eventually.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So the standard model is here to stay. Huge improvement for battery life and further makes switch lite not worth getting. They can definitely do a clock increase if they want to. If they do, then maybe I'll get it if it's 1.5x or more. As it stands, since I rarely play handheld, I'm not gonna buy this one.

I wish they came out with a pro sooner than later. March 2020 would be good.

This is all the "Pro" we're getting. I'd expect the only performance upgrade to come in 2022/2023 with a new generation of Switch.

There isn't even the faintest rumor of a new suitable SoC from Nvidia.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
Why are people assuming their won't be a Pro model? Why are people complaining about this hugely significant battery upgrade? Gamers never cease to bewilder me.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
I'd be hard pressed if we didn't get a performance mode. It's a free upgrade. I feel like if we did, Nintendo wouldn't make the biggest deal about it, but they could give it a mention and advertise some games getting an enhancement like botw and odyssey getting 1080p

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
This is all the "Pro" we're getting. I'd expect the only performance upgrade to come in 2022/2023 with a new generation of Switch.

You mean besides the one in this? This SoC can easily allow for 1.5x performance in docked mode if Nintendo wants to offer that.

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
So it really is just battery increase? It won't be like an Xbox One S situation where older and current games see slight increases in frame rate etc...?

I'll probably just stick with my current switch as I mostly play docked and haven't really run into situations where I was butting up against the battery limit so far when traveling with it.

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
I've been playing portable a lot more lately, so that bump would be nice. I always have access to a charger though, I wonder if it'd make more sense to just wait to see if a Pro really happens

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017

I'd be somewhat surprised if we don't get a pro model next year for closer parity in specs and maybe a 7nm chip. This will mean we'll have 3 models, side by side, which I think is doable. Question is if it's going to be a home console experience or hybrid. Home console makes more sense at this point so it stands out and has its own fxn like hybrid and handheld lite ones.

At this point, the lite model is more looking like a less attractive model. If you have money enough to buy video games, you can afford to spend an extra $100 for the regular model because it's better in every way, including portable, because now this revision has significantly better life than the lite model. It's pathetic and Nintendo will probably cannibalize themselves. Lite's battery is hardly any improvement to OG.

Last edited:

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Thats too bad. Don't give a shit about battery life as I don't do mobile gaming. Great for those interested though

Status
Not open for further replies.