• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

patientx

Oct 26, 2017
Theory : new models innards are made with more power efficient tech and can make some (even a little) perf difference but instead of rising the base performance of the device they are using this power efficiency for prolonged usage time which IMO makes sense.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Playing Switcher for 4:30 hours minimum is godtier, nice.

All titles are going to benefit beautifully. It's also nice when you play in spurts but don't charge it if you're not at home.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Theory : new models innards are made with more power efficient tech and can make some (even a little) perf difference but instead of rising the base performance of the device they are using this power efficiency for prolonged usage time which IMO makes sense.

This is exactly what it is.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
So what's the best way to upgrade guys? Obviously can't do it now cause of Fire Emblem.

But should I buy the new one first, then do a system transfer, and finally trade it in for cash. Or do I have to trade it in first...

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was planning to buy the switch lite, but if that is gimped by battery, why would I. Nintendo should upgrade the battery in both models. This is confusing.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure why they didn't do more like update the hardware design if they were going to go through the trouble with the internals...

Still trying to decide if I wnat to get this. If it comes out that performance for some games in handheld mode is better, then I'll go for it.

Elma4Smash

Banned
Jul 15, 2019
Nintendo's last CEO said in 2018 that they want the switch to last longer than a normal console cycle, so more than 5 years.

Switch 2 isn't happening until 2023 at the earliest, barring a huge collapse in the market. By then 3 or 5nm should make a good generational leap and a PS4 level portable or better possible

The Switch is here to stay for the next 15 years or so until the next fundamental breakthrough in technology happens. During that time, it'll see multiple upgrades, all while still being the Switch.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. hardware enthusiasts, as always, let their enthusiasm cloud their eyes.

I mean, in my case I kept saying the pro could be anything from no boost at all to something like 50%. Just because I used the shorthand "pro" didn't mean I was expecting anything unrealistic.

I still don't understand what connotations the word "pro" carries that the phrase "enhanced Switch" does not.

Aiervon

Digital Strategist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Dallas
How easy will it be to transfer all of my digital purchases and saves from my original Nintendo Switch to this one? Is that an easy process?

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
I was planning to buy the switch lite, but if that is gimped by battery, why would I. Nintendo should upgrade the battery in both models. This is confusing.

They didnt upgrade the battery in this model. They are using the same battery as the OG but with the new internals from the lite which happen to be more battery efficient. Lite has a smaller battery tahn the OG due to the form factor and yet last longer than the OG

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure why they didn't do more like update the hardware design if they were going to go through the trouble with the internals...

Still trying to decide if I wnat to get this. If it comes out that performance for some games in handheld mode is better, then I'll go for it.
Whats troubles ? xD
The design is the same to keep the compatibility with most Accessoires and add-ons. Its not like the current Switch looks that bad or needs a design refresh asap ala Phat DS.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
That's a huge battery upgrade. Nintendo should offer OG Switch owners a discounted upgrade path, as I would imagine they also would want to get the hackable models out of the hands of consumers as well.
That would actually make sense. They get fewer hackable Switches in the wild & we get better battery.

Daneel_O

Oct 28, 2017
Who is she? Emily? This is exactly what she described. And what the WSJ described. And what Bloomberg described. It's the community (us) who started calling it a "pro" as a shorthand.

And why exactly is this "not a pro model"?

To be fair, this doesn't even look like the "enhanced" model for "avid gamers" that the several sources described.

Performance aside, I was expecting some XL or New-like improvements, like a better screen, more memory, sleeker design, new colors, you name it.
While the improved battery life IS an enhancement, it hardly warrants the leaks we got.
It seems to me just the easiest and best way to market an internal revision to the SoC that Nintendo HAD to do for security/cost reason. It's not a new model at all.

colui

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Neat, I just wish there was an option to buy only the main unit. I already have all the joy-cons and docks I need.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Well, I am definitely upgrading.
Battery life p

I think they mean at like Gamestop or somewhere similar
Come on Gamestop, don't go bankrupt on me before end of September.

My biggest barrier to upgrade is having to reapply the glass cover again. Shit was stressful.

Actually, it's no biggie. I failed on my attempt, and glass cover is protruding in the corner because of a failed sticky side folded outwards.

So being able to reapply the glass cover on a new Switch is going to be so much better.

Oct 27, 2017
The Switch is here to stay for the next 15 years or so until the next fundamental breakthrough in technology happens. During that time, it'll see multiple upgrades, all while still being the Switch.
Lol. Yeah.

They are committed to gens. There will be a next gen Nintendo system. Maybe it will be called switch 2. Or something iteratively named.

But the switch 1 will be left behind. They literally said they want this last longer than a normal gen so that shows they still believe in gens.

I doubt it would be 15 years lol.

There's no reason, especially using Nintendo's own comments, that Switch 2017 - Switch 2 2023 - Switch 3 etc 2029 doesn't still make sense

You will probably say "but they want to be like iOS". And yes, they can have multiple hardware configs like iOS (Lite is iPod Touch, OG is IPhone) and still have 6-7 year gens.

iOS also has generations because the OS cuts off older hardware every 4-5 years, like how iPhone 6/6S is now getting the cut.

So I do see Switch 1 lasting until 2022-23 but not 15 years and there will certainly be a cut off point where next gen takes over in 2023+

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
What happens in such a case? Will the "new" Switch be available for preorder? What about the old stock?

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
Memory is not part of the SoC but a separate component on the board, as is the PMIC (power management chip). None of them were mentioned in the FCC request, while something so minor as a change in NAND type (we can now assume that not even the size changed) was stated.

There might be different explanations, but these two sources are describing different models. No point in trying to match them forcibly.
You gotta admit that having 4GB of RAM on the SoC would be a hell of a twist.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Welp, guess it's time for me to finally get one. This is great for those of us who never got a Switch before.

Better battery life is just great overall tho, even if you are a current owner.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely not spending over $350 CAD for 2.5 extra hours of battery but that's cool for people who haven't bought a Switch yet.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
maybe not, but with the news that the original switch added 2 hours doesnt make the lite version any more tempting to buy.
The Lite is for those that want a smaller and lighter handheld at a cheaper price. That smaller size also unfortunately means a smaller battery.

joesiv

Banned
Feb 9, 2018
I use my launch switch 100% in portable mode, I think I'll upgrade to this and sell the launch switch.

I'm thinking being an early adopter in this case might have been a GOOD thing since there might be a market for a launch switch given it's ease of hacking.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
I play while plugged most of the time. My OCD doesn't let me play with less than 100% battery life.

We have chargers in just about every room for our phones and switches.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, this doesn't even look like the "enhanced" model for "avid gamers" that the several sources described.

Performance aside, I was expecting some XL or New-like improvements, like a better screen, more memory, sleeker design, new colors, you name it.
While the improved battery life IS an enhancement, it hardly warrants the leaks we got.
It seems to me just the easiest and best way to market an internal revision to the SoC that Nintendo HAD to do for security/cost reason. It's not a new model at all.

This has new colors launching with it. We have no idea if this has increased performance, it may. The screen might be better, all we know is it has the same resolution and size. Maybe it's brighter, maybe more efficient.

Those rumors were always so vague about what improvements to expect that I don't really see how this can't fit with what they said.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Have a feeling we could still see some upgrades in games with at least more stable fps, even with the battery increase. The Mariko units as seen with the Lite don't need as much battery capacity to achieve longer life. This could be running the same battery at same profile clock settings for that 2 hour gain.

Hopefully the hacking community can hack one of these units to see how much higher clocks this achieves over the OG launch units. Nintendo could have very likely marketed this as the "Pro" if they went the opposite route with the battery. Same battery life as OG, but with boosted clocks

Status
Not open for further replies.