• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
Cool, I'm glad this won't force me to upgrade to a new system, but this is great for those who play portable a ton/don't have a Switch yet.

Oct 29, 2017

This is getting a lot of quotes!

To clarify, after the bevy of first quotes come in:

1. The punishment here is in reference to having a more portable console at this stage of the game.
  2. In my perspective, someone who picks up a Switch now could easily purchase the games that I have in my library and effectively replicate the two years that I've owned the Switch. This is based on my personal playtime in which I do not regularly replay games after beating them except in rare situations.
This is a personal and subjective opinion. It's not opined to the mass public and not a chastisement of Nintendo, it's a reflection of my own personal choice to purchase a Switch early that is now costing me in the sense of how I like to use the Switch!

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Depends on who is buying it really. If I had a public transportation commute, I would totally get a lite over this one.
Actually also this version feels quite comfortable, I carry with me everyday on public transportation commutes and often play, if I am able to find a seat. I think that the Lite has simply a different audience, and for that it is really perfect.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
So going by the spec sheet, the dimensions/weight is supposedly exactly the same....
Is it just using a new cheap that is more efficient for battery life? Or did they somehow increase the battey capacity while keeping the weight exactly the same?

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Anyone holding out hope for a big "Pro" model was going to be disappointed, and anyone thinking they would be doing a home console version only... no idea what you were thinking.

That battery life improvement is huge. It's great for new purchasers and a really good incentive to pick this model over the cheaper Lite. Any performances beyond that will be very small, if at all.

Oct 27, 2017
Shame the Pro rumours didn't pan out. Disappointing they haven't re-designed the screen scratching dock either. I'll keep with what I've got for now, but that battery boost is impressive!

tenderbrew

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This isn't a fair counter-point in the sense that someone who is now going to get a Switch can now purchase the games that I have enjoyed and have a similar experinece, with a more portable console.

And being realistic, at least for me -- I don't replay games very much after I beat them, with rare exceptions. Those two years can easily be "caught up".
This wasn't possible at this price 2.5 years ago given their specs and component pricing. Now it is. This isn't a month after launch. Not even close to "punishing early adopters" like when Google puts out a new Pixel and drops the price in half 2 weeks later during Black Friday for instance.

EffettoNotte

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 17, 2019
well the warranty for my current switch is gone, maybe I could get this new model with a trade-in if it won't cost me much

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Shame the Pro rumours didn't pan out. Disappointing they haven't re-designed the screen scratching dock either. I'll keep with what I've got for now, but that battery boost is impressive!

This is the "Pro." It's our fault we coined the term for Switch. But the rumors were correct... this Switch is using a new SOC. The result of this is better battery life.

holeung

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty sure stores here will fool people into buying the old model to clear their stock

Some parents are clueless you know

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
This is getting a lot of quotes!

To clarify, after the bevy of first quotes come in:

1. The punishment here is in reference to having a more portable console at this stage of the game.
  2. In my perspective, someone who picks up a Switch now could easily purchase the games that I have in my library and effectively replicate the two years that I've owned the Switch. This is based on my personal playtime in which I do not regularly replay games after beating them except in rare situations.
This is a personal and subjective opinion. It's not opined to the mass public and not a chastisement of Nintendo, it's a reflection of my own personal choice to purchase a Switch early that is now costing me in the sense of how I like to use the Switch!

"Early adoption" (and the associated subsequent revisions etc) typically refers to a faster turn around than...2.5 years. I think it's getting quotes because you're stretching the meaning of the phrase.

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
So going by the spec sheet, the dimensions/weight is supposedly exactly the same....
Is it just using a new cheap that is more efficient for battery life? Or did they somehow increase the battey capacity while keeping the weight exactly the same?
The former. New chipset is on a smaller process node, which uses less voltage to power the chipset. The battery stays the same size as the original Switch. The benefit is more battery life.

Deleted member 20295

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
Decent battery upgrade, but selling my current switch and buying a new one isn't worth how much that will cost me (plus my battery pack that fits in my case gives me an extra 2 charges anyway) - great for new buyers though.

Also, took me to many times to get a switch with a perfect screen - i'm not doing that again ☺.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Awesome battery life improvement but I'm more intrigued to see if anything else changes. Stealth performance improvements or WiFi for example. If it's just battery life I may as well keep holding on to my OG until the 'New Nintendo Switch'. My Switch + battery pack lasts more than long enough when travelling to justify upgrading right now.

Oct 27, 2017
This is the "Pro." It's our fault we coined the term for Switch. But the rumors were correct... this Switch is using a new SOC. The result of this is better battery life.

Yeh, this is obvs the rumours fruition. I just wish it was something more 🤷‍♂️ I love the switch concept, I'd pay more for a faster, better designed premium model.

Ikouros

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Seems they're using the more efficient SoC to exclusively improve the battery instead of upping the visuals.
Sensible, understandable. Though many might be disappointed, this at least lays rumours to rest and points towards a better mid-gen/next gen ugrade somewhere further down the line.

Oct 29, 2017
"Early adoption" (and the associated subsequent revisions etc) typically refers to a faster turn around than...2.5 years. I think it's getting quotes because you're stretching the meaning of the phrase.

Contextually yes, but I did own a Switch when it first came out and choosing to wait -- especially as there were already discussions of how it would be improved after it came out with its portable battery life -- meant I could own this one now and have a more portable experience with longer battery life not needing a power bank!

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
The former. New chipset is on a smaller process node, which uses less voltage to power the chipset. The battery stays the same size as the original Switch. The benefit is more battery life.
yeah that sounds logical explanation. It's really impressive how much more battery time this new chipset is getting. Must be a huge upgrade in terms of power efficiency.

tenderbrew

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
In my perspective, someone who picks up a Switch now could easily purchase the games that I have in my library and effectively replicate the two years that I've owned the Switch. This is based on my personal playtime in which I do not regularly replay games after beating them except in rare situations.
What in the world is this metric and why does it matter and how does it equate to punishing early adopters, lol?

Status
Not open for further replies.