• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 29, 2017
Oh, well. This does make the product more enticing for somebody who hasn't dipped their feet into the pool yet.

Edit: Changed the first part as I think I've said my piece in later posts about why I felt the way I do! Not wanting to derail this thread so will change this so people can focus on more pertinent discussion.

Last edited:

VodkaFX

May 31, 2018
That's a good upgrade for the battery life. Not too surprised about the lack of improved speeds / 'boost' mode.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
That is an impressive improvement in battery life, but I can't help myself from not being a bit disapointed here. Not even about the lack of performance improvement, but I was hoping for an external improvement to the Switch's shell (especially around the vent area, since mine cracked around there very recently).

Gurgelhals

Oct 27, 2017
Not gonna lie, I was hoping for some performance improvements, namely in games running at dynamic resolution. Still, I might upgrade in the future regardless, since my launch unit is showing its age a bit.

Might still be in the cards really. Definitely for docked mode (no reason to underclock the new chipset to save power there) and they might just focus on the longer battery-life for purely marketing reasons (with Nintendo generally not talking about the processing power of their consoles).

We'll find out relatively quickly once these things are in the wild I guess.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great battery upgrade. Not enough to jump on the new model though.

I wonder if given this Nintendo is waiting a full 5-6 years cycle to release Switch Pro/2

Deleted member 54320

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 28, 2019
London
Seems the new revision will have an even better battery life than the Light. Guess I'll be buying a new Switch! Any word as to when this new model is getting released?

gqK5KHI.png

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I would really appreciate some trade-in programs with returning old Switch (for example by Gamestop), but I assume it won't happen so I will have to keep my old model

Oct 29, 2017
The "punishment" of having already enjoyed the Switch for up to two and a half years.

This isn't a fair counter-point in the sense that someone who is now going to get a Switch can now purchase the games that I have enjoyed and have a similar experinece, with a more portable console.

And being realistic, at least for me -- I don't replay games very much after I beat them, with rare exceptions. Those two years can easily be "caught up".

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
So this is the device mentioned in the FCC request, but not necessarily the device discovered through datamining.

That's a huge boost to battery life though.

kirby2096

Oct 29, 2017
They can say it has an 'All Day' battery now. Call it a Nintendo Switch All Day, or SAD for short. ..Your turn Sony.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean that's a significant battery increase... But only battery life? That's such a small upgrade but just useful enough to be infuriating. Ah well, hope people enjoy them.

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I have a 11 hour flight to San Francisco in october. Think i'll be getting this model to not go crazy on the flight.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
You can easily sell your old Switch for 150 or more.

Even 150 euro is not covering it though. I've never ran out of battery since I have a power bank almost always with me.

Still waiting for more info, since it's a new chip most likely maybe there is some performance upgrade in docked mode down the line if they unlock some new clocks.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
This sounds like it has nothing to do with the rumored Switch Pro and is just a refresh to the base model.

Deleted member 7883

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hope there'll be something that'll tell if you bought the new model or not.
looks like the box design is new? My launch switch came in a box w/ a white background as opposed to this solid red one. Hopefully that'll be the telltale sign of a new iteration. I still have nightmares of the SP AG 100 vs 101 and the Nintendo 3DS IPS vs TN screens.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
This isn't a fair counter-point in the sense that someone who is now going to get a Switch can now purchase the games that I have enjoyed and have a similar experinece, with a more portable console.

And being realistic, at least for me -- I don't replay games very much after I beat them, with rare exceptions. Those two years can easily be "caught up".

It depends on people. In my case, I would have never been able to "catch up" in the following years what I have already played from D1 and I will never regret to have bought the older model, as it happened with the original DS and 3DS XL (when I never upgraded to the New version).

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lol, naturally.
this is using the new CPU but will have similar performance to the old switch, just with improved battery life. the only reason this exists is nvidia could no longer produce the old SoC.

i SURE hope this puts an end to the non-sensical, endless, year long speculation about switch pro but i know it won't and some people will still remain hopeful.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Presumably they can't boost the GPU/CPU much as the lite is already a little low on the battery life. This is a nice increase in life for the standard switch.

Remaining question is whether they can improve performance in docked mode? I hope so

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
Huh, will the models not come with the 2 new Joycon colour combos?

Or maybe they will just announce them later.

Status
Not open for further replies.