• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bakedpony

Oct 27, 2017
I guess waiting until December for the PS5 release here in the Philippinea has a silver lining. Hopefully you guys in Europe can expose any other issues so that Sony can get it sorted out before December!

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
Im just having a hard time grasping how wide spread this actually is. I've been playing my DE since Thursday, constant rest mode,Astro bit, Moles Morales and now GoT. Zero issues whatsoever. I don't see any reports of wide spread issue in my Twitter list of game journos (which is admittedly not all encompassing) and don't see articles about widespread issues.

But come here and everyone seems to be having constant issues with everything.

Not sure if this place is just full of enthusiast edge cases where external HD issues are mucking up more people's experience or what.

I don't use an external HD, haven't used rest mode, have avoided doing any type of PS4 transfers (even via the cloud), and I've still had Dark Souls, Spider-Man Remastered, and Sackboy crash on me. Even had to eject and put Sackboy back in a couple of times because it stopped reading the disc when I powered the system on.

WhiskerFrisker

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
This launch is not really great so far, so many people having problems with this system, thats really disappointing. i think its safe to say that the system was pushed out of the door too early

with reports of every new game crashing it doesn´t really make sense to play on the console at all at the moment. this is far from normal launch issues by now.
Do you know how many PS5 were sold? You have data to quantify "what a lot of people" is?

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Im just having a hard time grasping how wide spread this actually is. I've been playing my DE since Thursday, constant rest mode,Astro bit, Moles Morales and now GoT. Zero issues whatsoever. I don't see any reports of wide spread issue in my Twitter list of game journos (which is admittedly not all encompassing) and don't see articles about widespread issues.

Not sure if this place is just full of enthusiast edge cases where external HD issues are mucking up more people's experience or what.
echo chamber here With some edge cases any launch with millions there will be few thousand with issues. However I think the external issue is a crapshoot but I think it has to do more with OS stability than anything. Ive been using rest mode, no problem, Have been using a wired connection, can start my console via remote play or the PS app to launch a game etc. and ive had zero game crashes whatsoever.

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017

This is exactly what happened with the PS4 launch and the old site actually.
Exact same thing...

Rated-G

Oct 29, 2017
What's the issue people are having with external hdd? I've had my 4TB plugged in since launch and haven't noticed anything weird.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017

You're not going to see everyone whose consoles are working fine posting about it. But you're far more likely to see people who did have issues, because it's a frustrating thing and they will need to vent.

It's not an accurate representation of the big picture, as is usual with any enthusiast forum.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Normally PS4 didn't get firmwares that often and this has been less than a week. I hope this trend continues fixing more stuff.
Btw do we know if they fixed any of the issues reported like game crashes, PS4 transferred games via HDDs or LAN bricking the consoles etc...?

CJXVI

Nov 3, 2020
Yeah so I did the update this morning with my external drive plugged in and the PS5 did not like that. It went through the update process and then never restarted. I had to hit the power button twice for it to come back on. Then I got the whole repair your external drive process. Did that and then I got a black screen. So then I unplugged the drive, turned off the system and back on so now its fine.

I'm just going to leave the drive unplugged for now.
This is exactly what happened to me last night, except I was trying to play Miles Morales. Game froze when it got to the menu, I tried to close it but the system froze there too. Once I unplugged my HDD and restarted the system I was able to play with no issues.

If it helps I've seen a couple comments online that say you shouldn't keep your external HDD plugged in when playing PS5 games. Playing PS4 games doesn't seem to cause any crashes. Really hope Sony addresses this soon.

Zultima

Mar 4, 2020
Ironically after downloading this Demon's Souls won't boot up...just sitting at the title card when I go to boot it

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Normally PS4 didn't get firmwares that often and this has been less than a week. I hope this trend continues fixing more stuff.
Btw do we know if they fixed any of the issues reported like game crashes, PS4 transferred games via HDDs or LAN bricking the consoles etc...?
PS4 had several updates very quickly after launch, this is nothing new.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
What's the issue people are having with external hdd? I've had my 4TB plugged in since launch and haven't noticed anything weird.
I've tried two (Crucial MX300 SATA SSD in Vantec USB 3.1 enclosure and Western Digital Blue SN550 NVMe SSD in Sabrent EC-TFNB USB 3.2 enclosure) and they both basically don't work on the PS5. Plug them into my PS4 Pro and they work perfectly, but plug them into my PS5 and it's constant game launch failures, damaged storage warnings and repairs, and hard locks when trying to copy to them.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
PS4 had several updates very quickly after launch, this is nothing new.

Oh ok I wasn't there during the launch of the PS4 I got it years later. But iirc official 0.5 firmwares happen once every 6 months and some stability fixes happen from time to time. I hope PS5 updates will be more frequent in the future.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Restart your PS5. That's been a bug since launch.
I feel like many many cases in these threads have been a matter of "something wont download because it was in que or interrupted or something" or disc not reading" and i can't help but think that most of these just require a restart of the console or a re-connection test to test your internet. And then it fixes their problem. But they don't update their post with what it was because the issue only required a restart. Perhaps there aren't that many issues beyond the legit HDD / transfer bug.

However, some other folks saying every game they play crashes, repeatedly, that is a different matter.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017

That and it's launch. I've had DeS soft crash twice loading back to the Nexus and Miles hard crashed my PS5 once, but no issues otherwise. My launch PS4 had a lot of trouble taking itself out of rest mode until a firmware update fixed it so this is a much better launch for me.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
I set my console up last night and downloaded everything I needed to download (which was extremely fast). I then tried to check out Cold War, and every time I'd get to the Activison log in, the game would reject my password (which I verified is correct through going to the actual site and logging in), and then a few minutes later everything would freeze and the PS5 would turn off.

It happened twice. I haven't tried any other games besides CoD, and the system was fine when I was doing all the setup stuff and going into the library to download my games. I went to bed after and the console hasn't shut off over night, so that's good. But I'm wondering if this is a known issue with Black Ops? I'll try playing Miles Morales later and see if there are any issues.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Coil whine very much still there after update, btw. And yes, it is possible to reduce it via firmware.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had Demon's Souls crash on me twice. Then, the system kicked an error saying the external drive (which the game is not even on) was removed improperly. It then had to do some recovery thing. Froze after it ended, and had to be restarted both times. System works fine, but yeah, kind of a wtf.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Coil whine very much still there after update, btw. And yes, it is possible to reduce it via firmware.

Never heard of coil whine reducing through a firmware update, if you have coil whine it is very likely that its there to stay.

That and it's launch. I've had DeS soft crash twice loading back to the Nexus and Miles hard crashed my PS5 once, but no issues otherwise. My launch PS4 had a lot of trouble taking itself out of rest mode until a firmware update fixed it so this is a much better launch for me.

That´s already enough crashing, i never had any game crashing at launch at all, especially not first party games. they dropped the ball heavily on this launch.

Oct 28, 2017
This launch is not really great so far, so many people having problems with this system, thats really disappointing. i think its safe to say that the system was pushed out of the door too early

with reports of every new game crashing it doesn´t really make sense to play on the console at all at the moment. this is far from normal launch issues by now.

Every new game crashes the system? I have played like 5 new games and my system hasn't crashed. You may want to at least say "on some systems" instead of making this out to be some huge widespread issue where every new game is crashing all systems or something lol.

It does have some bugs, sure, especially with PS4 games on external devices (keeps saying I disconnected it when I didn't), and trying to install add ons and updates. I get the Errors trying to install updates and add ons like other people. It is super frustrating.

Evoker

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, I had my first major error with my external hard drive. The system update installed when I had my console in rest mode last night. When I turned it on, my external drive was clicking loudly and then the console completely shut down. My console had to repair the drive. After that, I made sure to safely eject my external and will not be using it anytime soon till Sony fixes these issues.

On the plus side, it seems that I'm not having server timeouts whenever I try to do anything related to the internet. No more having to restart a download three times or go in and out of my trophy list multiple times to get it to load. I'll test later tonight when more people are using the servers.

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA

dRf69f5.gif

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California

But come here and everyone seems to be having constant issues with everything. Rest mode all day since launch.

Same. I have the DE and I've had no issues.

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
I hope one of the future updates fixes the HDR. The always on HDR is bad when a game doesn't support it like Spelunky.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Never heard of coil whine reducing through a firmware update, if you have coil whine it is very likely that its there to stay.

That´s already enough crashing, i never had any game crashing at launch at all, especially not first party games. they dropped the ball heavily on this launch.
Microsoft had a firmware update near the launch of the Xbox One made specifically to get rid of the coil whine caused by the removal of Kinect from the box.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Microsoft had a firmware update near the launch of the Xbox One made specifically to get rid of the coil whine caused by the removal of Kinect from the box.

Thats something else, sounds like the power consumption was adjusted on a too high level because of the Kinect which was expected to be connected to the console which resulted in coil whine.

they just made the power consumption lower which reduced the coil whine. unlikely that this happens with the PS5

on another note, ACGs Karak has also problems with his replacement PS5

i mean you can all believe that these are "normal" launch woes but they are not. too many people reporting all kind of problems, even people where everything was fine for a day are suddenly having problems.

the system seems unstable af, causing all kinds of weird issues, Sony doesn´t say a peep at all to the problems and it is completely unclear if this is a who knows how large batch of faulty consoles or "just" firmware problems which can also result in bricked consoles.

really not the best look for Sony atm after all the other fuck ups like price hiking. it was just not the year to release a new console, they should have postponed the launch making sure the OS is in good shape instead of pushing out half baked system firmware and let people who´ve paid enough money beta test the device.

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)

Nah, I had a couple issues with a game crashing on the first day but it's been rock solid ever since. The system is nice as hell.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Same. I have the DE and I've had no issues.
They don't release stability updates to address problems that only a tiny handful of people are experiencing. PS5 OS has some obvious problems right now. It's not a matter of a few people being vocal about them. It's more a matter of you just haven't hit that particular bug yet. And it's all perfectly normal. When you're an early adopter, this is what you sign on for.

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Ok, I just got my ps5. What settings need to be made in power settings to ensure my risks are minimized ?

Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018
My brother has been playing Valhalla almost non-stop since Thursday, and it hasn't crashed or frozen a single time.
We make sure to either turn off the console, or close all games before going into rest mode. Seems to be working so far. We have no External HDD.

HOUSEJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
Am I going to have to be the guinea pig and test to see if the update fixes the external hard drive problem or has it already been tested?

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
They don't release stability updates to address problems that only a tiny handful of people are experiencing. PS5 OS has some obvious problems right now. It's not a matter of a few people being vocal about them. It's more a matter of you just haven't hit that particular bug yet. And it's all perfectly normal. When you're an early adopter, this is what you sign on for.
I'm very much aware of why system updates are released and I'm not saying there aren't issues. I'm saying that I haven't had any with mine. It would be unfair for me to say that when people are clearly having issues.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
So unless this firmware is confirmed to fix issues or we get another update, I'm assuming I should do the following when mine arrives on Thursday?

• Don't connect an external drive yet
  • Don't play Spider-Man remastered until it gets patched
  • Don't use rest mode
  • Don't use ethernet/USB system transfer from PS4
Anything else I should avoid for now?

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020

Apparently this firmware has reduced the loading times for Days Gone by over half?
Not sure if the update did that, or simply playing the game did it. But titles like GTA and Destiny took much longer to load the first time than they did subsequently for me.

So unless this firmware is confirmed to fix issues or we get another update, I'm assuming I should do the following when mine arrives on Thursday?

• Don't connect an external drive yet
  • Don't play Spider-Man remastered until it gets patched
  • Don't use rest mode
  • Don't use ethernet/USB system transfer from PS4
Anything else I should avoid for now?

Pretty much. Would be really nice for Sony to do the right thing and actually acknowledge the issues, and also tell us what the hell they're fixing in their patch updates.

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
Ok, I just got my ps5. What settings need to be made in power settings to ensure my risks are minimized ?
Hey, digital edition owner here.
1) I shut down completely after every use
2) Make sure no apps are open if you use Rest Mode
That's it. In terms of controller charging, if I leave it on overnight to charge, I will turn the PS5 back on from Rest Mode, so that I can shut it down completely again. I'm not using any external drives or LAN, though it's not confirmed how exactly either of those cause or do not cause issues.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
The PS4's had stability updates for years. That doesn't mean it's been a buggy mess for seven years.

Deleted member 25128

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
i mean you can all believe that these are "normal" launch woes but they are not. too many people reporting all kind of problems, even people where everything was fine for a day are suddenly having problems.

the system seems unstable af, causing all kinds of weird issues, Sony doesn´t say a peep at all to the problems and it is completely unclear if this is a who knows how large batch of faulty consoles or "just" firmware problems which can also result in bricked consoles.

really not the best look for Sony atm after all the other fuck ups like price hiking. it was just not the year to release a new console, they should have postponed the launch making sure the OS is in good shape instead of pushing out half baked system firmware and let people who´ve paid enough money beta test the device.

Have you never been involved in a console launch before?

These are issues that will get resolved, there is no need to panic right now. I remember the PS4 launch, using the PS4 blu ray drive would crash the console a lot, and it got more stable over time, and now its solid... just one of those things.