• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
That article is incorrect. Auto Picture Mode does not "disengage" Game Mode when streaming video from the PS5. I've tried it on HBO Max and Youtube... it stays on Game Mode. Only when I pop in a 4K UHD disc does it switch to Cinema Mode (X900H display owner).

Maybe it works properly for streaming apps using a different display? Someone else would need to confirm.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming if I have my LG C1 set to Game Mode all the time then the ALLM won't pop up because it's already running it.

boredandlazy

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Figured something was going to be happening soon, since the last firmware update my CX occasionally pops up with 'instant game response mode is enabled' when switching to my PS5.

CheapJi

Apr 24, 2018
They didn't because now you HAVE to state what features your HDMI 2.1 device supports.
They demand more clarity for consumers as part of the licensing.

This wasn't the case before- which is why people got confused previously when it turned out their HDMI 2.1 console or TV didn't support X,Y and Z - there was no mandate to lit the supported features/specs.
Interesting. I've been hearing about different kinds of HDMI 2.1 ports so that kind of makes sense.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
That article is incorrect. Auto Picture Mode does not "disengage" Game Mode when streaming video from the PS5. I've tried it on HBO Max and Youtube... it stays on Game Mode. Only when I pop in a 4K UHD disc does it switch to Cinema Mode (X900H display owner).

Maybe it works properly for streaming apps using a different display? Someone else would need to confirm.
I've got a slightly older TCL 6 series that pops up a giant notice about allm every time I start a video streaming app. So far I've noticed it with youtube and Plex for certain, iirc HBO Max and Disney+ too. And it goes into low lantency mode for games every time. I had no issues in the beta.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
I've got a slightly older TCL 6 series that pops up a giant notice about allm every time I start a video streaming app. So far I've noticed it with youtube and Plex for certain, iirc HBO Max and Disney+ too. And it goes into low lantency mode for games every time. I had no issues in the beta.
To be clear, are you using PS5 streaming apps or apps built into your display?

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Then maybe it's a X900H problem. I have the latest firmware for the display, so that's not the issue.
PS4 and PS5 have always treated discs differently than streaming apps as far as video modes go. Your TV might be reacting to the PS5 going into 24 fps mode (I'm guessing), which it doesn't do for streaming apps. You might try loading up youtube on the PS5 and checking/changing your video settings on your TV then.

In other words, turn off Game Mode while Youtube is running (if your TV allows it still). Then go back and forth between it and a game and see if it sticks. Your TV might simply be sticking with Game Mode if that's what the default settings were for the PS5.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
Turning on Apply to Unsupported Games and testing Elden Ring right now!

EDIT: Oh, I misread. I was thinking VRR was available rn just not officially supported for a few months.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Turning on Apply to Unsupported Games and testing Elden Ring right now!

EDIT: Oh, I misread. I was thinking VRR was available rn just not officially supported for a few months.
TetraGenesis

Oct 25, 2017
Wondering if this is just me or anyone else seeing it.

When I bring up Game Base from the PS Button and then select the new "Parties" tab, it's just in a constant state of grey background and white bar loading.

To get it to actually work, I then have to press Options > Go to Game Base, then select "Parties" along the top.

If I then back completely out to the OS and then head back to Game Base, select the new "Parties" tab, it displays the text and the "Start Parties" option and works fine until I turn the PS5 off.

It rarely works correctly unless I do the above.

Even a complete firmware reinstall hasn't fixed it.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
PS4 and PS5 have always treated discs differently than streaming apps as far as video modes go. Your TV might be reacting to the PS5 going into 24 fps mode (I'm guessing), which it doesn't do for streaming apps. You might try loading up youtube on the PS5 and checking/changing your video settings on your TV then.

In other words, turn off Game Mode while Youtube is running (if your TV allows it still). Then go back and forth between it and a game and see if it sticks. Your TV might simply be sticking with Game Mode if that's what the default settings were for the PS5.
I'm able to toggle Game/Cinema Mode as well as Auto Picture Mode in real time as I watch a stream from an app. ALLM won't stay on if I manually change Game Mode to Cinema mode.

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
LFC is also possible with HDMI2.1-VRR, you don't need Freesync Premium for that.
You sure about that I've seen tons of descriptive Reddit threads about this that contradict that.

Like this
VRR + HDMI 2.1 Spec = (1-39Hz OFF) 40-120Hz ON) -> XBSX/PS5.

FreeSync Premuim + Radeon Drivers = (1-39Hz LFC) 40-120Hz ON) -> RX GPU. (PC)

G-Sync Compatible + GeForce Drivers = (1-39Hz FM) 40-120Hz ON) -> RTX GPU. (PC)

The CX has all 3 versions on it's 4 HDMI 2.1 ports.

And this
Basic timeline over past decade

1 - Vesa (PC monitor standards group) creates adaptive sync tech.

2 - Nvidia creates their own in-house solution not based of Vesa adaptive sync and call it G-Sync which requires a dedicated hardware module in G-Sync displays.

3 - AMD implement adaptive sync as Freesync over Vesa Displayport no special hardware required.

4 - AMD creates its own clone of adaptive sync for Freesync over HDMI as Vesa does not control HDMI.

5 - The HDMI Forum (group who controls HDMI) clone adaptive sync and call it HDMI Variable Refresh Rate for HDMI 2.1

6 - Nvidia implement support for Vesa Adaptive Sync and HDMI Forum VRR as G-Sync compatible on GTX-16xx and RTX-2xxx cards.

So HDMI-VRR is a clone of adaptive sync (aka Freesync), what set's it apart is

• Support for VRR+HDR is mandatory.
  • Maximum range of HDMI-VRR is 120Hz.
  • Support for LFC (low frame rate compensation) is optional.
It's functionally closest to the Freesync Premium Pro tier but it lacks mandatory LFC support so it's kinda between the Premium and Pro feature list.

Callandor

Oct 27, 2017
I did some research and it seems to be a LG issue. I turned off HDR on my TV, and the video came back, I then turned HDR back on it it works again....very strange; guess the update caused something to go a little wonky. Thanks for the suggestions.
Huh. I've got an LG C7 and keep getting stuck on a black screen when trying to launch Destiny 2. Splash screen, black screen with the HDR turning on note from the TV, and then nothing. No audio via ARC, no title screen for the game, zero response from any controller button presses, nothing.

Just did a full reinstall of the PS5 software to hope it fixes this, but maybe it was HDR wonkiness...

Edit - reinstall didn't help unfortunately, but turning of HDCP seems to have helped? Something is definitely a bit screwy in this firmware.

Last edited:

delete

Jul 4, 2019
You sure about that I've seen tons of descriptive Reddit threads about this that contradict that.

Like this
VRR + HDMI 2.1 Spec = (1-39Hz OFF) 40-120Hz ON) -> XBSX/PS5.

FreeSync Premuim + Radeon Drivers = (1-39Hz LFC) 40-120Hz ON) -> RX GPU. (PC)

G-Sync Compatible + GeForce Drivers = (1-39Hz FM) 40-120Hz ON) -> RTX GPU. (PC)

The CX has all 3 versions on it's 4 HDMI 2.1 ports.

And this
Basic timeline over past decade

1 - Vesa (PC monitor standards group) creates adaptive sync tech.

2 - Nvidia creates their own in-house solution not based of Vesa adaptive sync and call it G-Sync which requires a dedicated hardware module in G-Sync displays.

3 - AMD implement adaptive sync as Freesync over Vesa Displayport no special hardware required.

4 - AMD creates its own clone of adaptive sync for Freesync over HDMI as Vesa does not control HDMI.

5 - The HDMI Forum (group who controls HDMI) clone adaptive sync and call it HDMI Variable Refresh Rate for HDMI 2.1

6 - Nvidia implement support for Vesa Adaptive Sync and HDMI Forum VRR as G-Sync compatible on GTX-16xx and RTX-2xxx cards.

So HDMI-VRR is a clone of adaptive sync (aka Freesync), what set's it apart is

• Support for VRR+HDR is mandatory.
  • Maximum range of HDMI-VRR is 120Hz.
  • Support for LFC (low frame rate compensation) is optional.
It's functionally closest to the Freesync Premium Pro tier but it lacks mandatory LFC support so it's kinda between the Premium and Pro feature list.

This video demonstrates that LFC works over VRR on an Xbox One X + LG C9

"As an added option, you can also choose to apply VRR to PS5 games that don't support it."

So it seems that PS4 games are excluded; unless they backtrack on that.

Fair enough tbh.

Last edited:

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017

This video demonstrates that LFC works over VRR on an Xbox One X + LG C9

I've seen that but he has also done newer videos now saying to enable Freesync premium and also yes Xbox itself supports it all but that doesn't mean PS5 will have to wait to see when it hits I'm sure Vincent will have another video. Sonys approach to all this across their TV's and now PS5 has been unique to say the least.

Comparing it to what Xbox has done isn't clean cut.
I.E
Xbox one S/X
VRR AND Freesync work at 1080,1440,4K but Only at 60Hz set to 120 and nope.

Series S/X
Supports both same as above and resolutions but all the way up to 120HZ

And they support HDMI VRR and Freesync and Freesync Premium on PC monitors and TV's

I own have used all and still do on both PC monitors with both types of Freesync and a LG OLED.

So I'm waiting to see how this plays out on PS5 I hope it all works just the same as I'm a little sick of waiting on Sony's BS with this stuff.

Last edited:

delete

Jul 4, 2019
EvilBoris Apologies for the call out but wondering if you are able to shed any light on the LFC VRR situation.

Does the source need to support LFC as well as the display?

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Washington DC
Huh. I've got an LG C7 and keep getting stuck on a black screen when trying to launch Destiny 2. Splash screen, black screen with the HDR turning on note from the TV, and then nothing. No audio via ARC, no title screen for the game, zero response from any controller button presses, nothing.

Just did a full reinstall of the PS5 software to hope it fixes this, but maybe it was HDR wonkiness...

Edit - reinstall didn't help unfortunately, but turning of HDCP seems to have helped? Something is definitely a bit screwy in this firmware.

So on my CX I had to turn off some type of instant game setting. I was still getting random freezes and black screens, so I then set some PS5 hdmi setting to "-1" and everything seems fine. I ARC everything through my reciever. Never had to deal with any of this before this update.

mugwhump

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I recently got a VRR tv (refurb Vizio m-series, good TV for the price). It's a real gamechanger. Very nice in ER. Good to see Sony catching up to MS on this one.

Now we just need widespread DLSS support and graphics will be solved 5ever

its truly fucking stupid

and maybe this should be thread marked so everyone doesn't get mad about 2.1 support only

www.tomshardware.com

HDMI 2.0 Is Being Relabeled as HDMI 2.1

Taking a page out of the USB 3.2 book of stupid name changes
Hahahaha holy shit. That is... remarkable.

Last edited:

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
I've seen that but he has also done newer videos now saying to enable Freesync premium and also yes Xbox itself supports it all but that doesn't mean PS5 will have to wait to see when it hits I'm sure Vincent will have another video. Sonys approach to all this across their TV's and now PS5 has been unique to say the least.

Comparing it to what Xbox has done isn't clean cut.
I.E
Xbox one S/X
VRR AND Freesync work at 1080,1440,4K but Only at 60Hz set to 120 and nope.

Series S/X
Supports both same as above and resolutions but all the way up to 120HZ

And they support HDMI VRR and Freesync and Freesync Premium on PC monitors and TV's

I own have used all and still do on both PC monitors with both types of Freesync and a LG OLED.

So I'm waiting to see how this plays out on PS5 I hope it all works just the same as I'm a little sick of waiting on Sony's BS with this stuff.

Sony's TVs only support HDMI VRR so I can't see the PS5 offering any other kind.