• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
That's the whole problem though. They aren't using it which means people with systems that have height channels are going to lose out because Sony decided to go with a proprietary format route.

I guess we're just looking at it differently. I think Sony's only goal is to simulate 3D audio effects using only 2 channels, whether that be headphones, TV speakers, soundbar, or home theater speakers. For all we know using your receiver's upmixer could be better than what Sony comes up with. As it is their Tempest Audio isn't necessarily better than Atmos for Headphones. It's just a different implementation.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I guess we're just looking at it differently. I think Sony's only goal is to simulate 3D audio effects using only 2 channels, whether that be headphones, TV speakers, soundbar, or home theater speakers. For all we know using your receiver's upmixer could be better than what Sony comes up with. As it is their Tempest Audio isn't necessarily better than Atmos for Headphones. It's just a different implementation.

My point is Sony made it a focus on their proprietary format without the ability to give other options. It's fine what they want to do, but to make it the only game in town when it comes to 3D height positioned audio is what bothers me. Microsoft for example has their own audio format, but that doesn't stop Dolby Atmos from being an option on their platform.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Seems to work with stereo headsets via optical, just make sure any dolby/5.1 processing is turned off. There is no way to calibrate it to your liking though, since the implementation is mainly for TV/ stereo speakers.

It worked well with Astro play room, I would only use it with games that support 3D, otherwise the audio will sound terrible.

Oct 25, 2017
That's the whole problem though. They aren't using it which means people with systems that have height channels are going to lose out because Sony decided to go with a proprietary format route.

It simply isn't possible because a receiver won't know how to handle the height data and Sony can't access the height speakers without using one of those two formats. The only way this even remotely works is that they do something that works with virtualization upmixing on the receiver side and that is nowhere near an ideal situation because virtualization is a step below what Atmos and DTS:X are capable of.

Well I know for a fact that the latency on an LG OLED is the TV's fault because other Dolby audio sent to the TV causes latency. Samsung is notorious of this too. So the Dolby Atmos issues you're talking about may be more the fault of the TV and how they handle audio and pass it on rather than the Xbox or Dolby Atmos.

I guess we'll see if Sony can figure out a way. Some folks on the avs forums have suggested it's possible to convey the information without codecs, but I'm not intelligent enough in this area to debate either way, especially given that you know what you are talking about.

I'll hope they can, because I'd like to be able to experience this stuff on any console without delay.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
My point is Sony made it a focus on their proprietary format without the ability to give other options. It's fine what they want to do, but to make it the only game in town when it comes to 3D height positioned audio is what bothers me. Microsoft for example has their own audio format, but that doesn't stop Dolby Atmos from being an option on their platform.

I read a few months ago that Microsoft have a two year exclusivity on Dolby (or maybe one year?). Is that a thing or just a dumb rumor?

Oct 28, 2017
I read a few months ago that Microsoft have a two year exclusivity on Dolby (or maybe one year?). Is that a thing or just a dumb rumor?
I read on resetera that the rumour was false. I think Sony just thinks they can do it better then Dolby atmos and of right now they ca not. I hope majors changes are made and if it come down to it just pay the fee and enable Dolby atmos.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I think if you have a disc in the drive, it wants to show a tile for that disc. Usually it would start installing/copying the data on the disc to the system, but it seems to know not to do that. If you remove the disc, does the tile disappear? I'd guess it still needs to show the tile so you can install/play the disc game if you want, so perhaps the 0% copying is just a display bug/oversight due to combo of that and separating the PS4/PS5 versions to different tiles.
I just did some further testing, and I think you're correct. However not for FF7R... Since FF7R is a 2-disc game and I had the play disc it seems like it was installing a part of it and it was staying even when I took the disc out. I have Sackboy PS4 though and just tried it out, and it does get removed after pulling out the disc.

20210915161250.jpg

Lol...

This is so dumb and hope it gets fixed quick... IDK, how this didn't get spotted in QA testing.

Oct 27, 2017
Not gonna lie, I don't like the separate tiles, and I don't like that they changed some of the art on the tiles themselves. For example, the Genshin Impact one used to have some nice art and now it's back to Paimon's face lol. Guilty Gear is now a white tile with the logo. Sigh.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
I guess we'll see if Sony can figure out a way. Some folks on the avs forums have suggested it's possible to convey the information without codecs, but I'm not intelligent enough in this area to debate either way, especially given that you know what you are talking about.

I'll hope they can, because I'd like to be able to experience this stuff on any console without delay.

Only way existing AVRs would know what to do with discrete height data is codecs. They were probably theorizing Sony could potentially use MPEGH, which is an offbrand codec that allows height data. Unfortunately many AVRs do not support it, and it may or may not be compatible with dynamic real time content like gaming.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Not gonna lie, I don't like the separate tiles, and I don't like that they changed some of the art on the tiles themselves. For example, the Genshin Impact one used to have some nice art and now it's back to Paimon's face lol. Guilty Gear is now a white tile with the logo. Sigh.
Isn't that done by the game? Genshin had a title update for me today that changed the icon.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I just did some further testing, and I think you're correct. However not for FF7R... Since FF7R is a 2-disc game and I had the play disc it seems like it was installing a part of it and it was staying even when I took the disc out. I have Sackboy PS4 though and just tried it out, and it does get removed after pulling out the disc.

20210915161250.jpg

Lol...

This is so dumb and hope it gets fixed quick... IDK, how this didn't get spotted in QA testing.
Do you have both the PS4 and PS5 ones installed?

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017

I get people being unhappy with some of the icon art changes, but if that's what it took to get rid of the Greatest Hits banners on them, I'll take that trade any day.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Do you have both the PS4 and PS5 ones installed?
Only PS5 versions.. when I put the disc for Sackboy it shows 2 icons but the PS4 ver. disappears when I eject the disc. When I put the "Play" disc for FF7R, since its 2-disc, it installs like a small file or something and it shows 2 icons but if I eject the disc, it doesn't disappear.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Only PS5 versions.. when I put the disc for Sackboy it shows 2 icons but the PS4 ver. disappears when I eject the disc. When I put the "Play" disc for FF7R, since its 2-disc, it installs like a small file or something and it shows 2 icons but if I eject the disc, it doesn't disappear.

Not even installed. But if PS5 is installed and PS4 disc is inserted, it's technically a different game.
That makes sense. I know there was some talk about the potential for streamers / speedrunners wanting a certain version, so this would explain it. I didn't care for the old method, but I don't care for this one either lol

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
New trophy menu is perfect. I love the clarity in ps4 and ps5 versions now. And being able to reorder the control menu and put the power option right at the start to quickly turn off the console is also nice. Got my SSD coming soon so I can't comment on that. But so far this seems like a great update I just need some folders and 3D audio for surround systems and im set

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
I like that there are more default quick save video clip time options.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah I noticed Splitgate and Tales of Arise switched to the PS4 tiles instead of the much better PS5 ones. Not too happy about that.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Maybe an option to have the 1 icon for games, I didnt mind how it was before this update.

One thing they fixed, is when you insert a disk game, the icon comes back to the main menu, it didn't do this before, and you had to look for it in your library.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
What does the 3D Tv audio sound like ?

I'm not sure how they fair on straight TV speakers. YMMV I have an old sound bar and I'm playing Ghost of Tsushima on TV speakers settings from the in game menu (that says allow for 3D audio).

At first I wasn't sure, but going back and forth a bunch I do think the positioning is way better. For example the sound of waterfalls and wind sound like they have a lot more depth and dimension, they sounded fuller and when I was above a waterfall it sounded like the waterfall was below me. Just going through the world and its soundscape seems a lot better. I am mixed on voice audio which might sound a little muffled but at the same time distant voices sounded like they were coming from the direction they should of. They sounded distant lol which is a neat trick.

It's not gonna replace my headphones but I do think overall my soundbar benefits from the update and this is great if I wanted to switch every now and then. On tv speakers I don't see how it wouldn't work as well, but the quality of tv speakers might get in the way.

Again YMMV!

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
Success! Holy crap that was easy.

Installed a WD Black SN850 with heatsink. Took all of about 5 minutes to install and clean my PS5. Started it up, formatted and boom. Gonna download Spidey Remastered to test and make sure there are no errors while playing.

SI9XOxT.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
I feel this is a glitch? I think all the icons reverted to their pre update icons, because the icons Miles and Sackboy are using are now what they had before installing updates.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
does tv speakers include sound bars?

I need to know this as well please.

I think it works with my soundbar lol theres some really great sound positioning. I like the sound better with 3D audio on, and instead of setting the in game settings to Sound Bar settings try TV Speakers settings so it accounts for the 3D profile.

Might have to try it out to see for yourself if it improves anything if you can. I'm interested to read more impressions.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I noticed Splitgate and Tales of Arise switched to the PS4 tiles instead of the much better PS5 ones. Not too happy about that.

I feel this is a glitch? I think all the icons reverted to their pre update icons, because the icons Miles and Sackboy are using are now what they had before installing updates.

Oh yeah it could be a glitch...the Avengers one is using its pre-update tile as well.

DC5remy

Jan 20, 2018
Denver co
Installed the SN850 today, moved over 6 games to it in under 2 minutes and they all have worked fine. Pretty awesome update.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
Oh god. I assumed the trophy update was gonna make the trophy pop up not use activity cards, since you can't read the descriptions on there. But nope, I guess not.