• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nikasun :D

Oct 30, 2017
Seems like a lot of hassle and effort for just a devkit. They could've just make a simple box like the PS3 devkit.

9bda39541befa9e9edc0b3d4eddd62d5be3d3675
Yeah, they could be testing a V-like design with the devkit and see if it works for retail

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
The v shape is so that dev kits can be stacked, I'd very much doubt it's going to look like that.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
6 small fans... I dunno if that's gonna be quiet.

Luckily no way the final design is like this.

I doubt it's particularly quiet, but aspects of the design intended to reduce required airflow pressure are the isolated short travel distances required for air flow in this design, and the use of axial rather than centrifugal fans.

A final design might share some ideas here - i.e. two, short, isolated airflows - but at a smaller scale. If the heatsink/psu were smaller in final, you could have a similar approach with one fan each perhaps. The reason there are three fans here is to provide uniform airflow across the entire length of the heatsink, with a shorter sink or PSU assembly, you could achieve the same with fewer fans.

OR ... the final cooling won't have anything in common with this at all ;)

From a design perspective, the patent notes that two isolated flows like this wouldn't necessarily have to be arranged in a V like this. You could have one diagonal assembly above the circuit board and one below, for example.

Gatsbits

Oct 28, 2018
Wow, looking at this, it seems Sony had some difficulties to find a simple cooling solution... Ps4/Pro had already shown it ...

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Looks like Sony struggles once again to come up with a cooling solution. We already heard rumors about that. I'll stay far away from the console if it will be as loud as PS4 again.

Mighty Twig

May 13, 2020
Hopefully the final console doesn't end up resembling that at all because

A) It looks ridiculous.
And
B) "6 fans" sounds...loud.

Call me crazy but I'd prefer a rectangle. And if they must do some odd shape, I eventually warmed up to their triple-decker parallelogram design.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Sony struggles once again to come up with a cooling solution. We already heard rumors about that. I'll stay far away from the console if it will be as loud as PS4 again.

or they're looking at ways to improve cooling efficiency and therfore have more cooling in a smaller space, or more cooling for less fan speed/noise?

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully the final console doesn't end up resembling that at all because

A) It looks ridiculous.
And
B) "6 fans" sounds...loud.

Call me crazy but I'd prefer a rectangle. And if they must do some odd shape, I eventually warmed up to their triple-decker parallelogram design.

It's the combination of fansize, revolutions per minute, bearings used, fandesign and airflow through the console that determine the noise level. The amount of fans alone tells you almost nothing.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
I love the dev kit... very startrekish.
I would enjoy if it were kept for retail but I bet it will not.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
Yea wait - Why is Sony spending money designing devkits?

The whole point is only developers should have them, who do you need to please with the design?

Roubjon

Oct 25, 2017
As long as the thing is quiet, I don' t care what it looks like. The PS4 Pro is obnoxiously loud.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
So much concern for devkits, huh?

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I think this can maybe give us some ideas as to the direction they're looking to in regards to cooling the PS5 (such as splitting the cooling, with separate cooling for PSU and APU). But aethetics aren't a consideration for a dev kit, so I don't think the system will necessarily look anything like what we see here, even if the internals are similar.

Sejanoz

Nov 10, 2017
For what it's worth, this is the work of the designer of the PS4 (standard, Slim, and Pro): https://www.tetsusumiiworks.com/
If he's doing PS5 as well, I can't see the final unit looking anything like the devkit.

A bit of his philosophy: https://blog.playstation.com/archive/2013/10/10/meet-tetsu-sumii-the-man-behind-the-look-of-ps4/

And going by google he also designed PSVR, which shares the same color scheme of the DualSense. I think the final thing will look elegant, in white/black with a blue led.
Of course I could be way off.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Man, I sure hope Sony has its cooling solution under control. I am afraid that it is still going to sound awful like that past two console cycles.

PlayerOne

Apr 16, 2018
Wonder how it turns out, i dont have much hope with these clock. Would be pretty bad if its louder, hotter and weaker than next xbox.