• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Most of these games will probably just run in legacy mode rather than enhanced mode, so that shouldn´t come with that much extra work, even for small devs. Like Sony said, it´s expected that the only ones with improvements will be the most popular games from PS4.
The implication is that majority of them won't be running in legacy modes. The outliers will be the ones that have to use legacy modes.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I get that, but I am talking about the games before the July 13th date, I should have said last years CoD to clarify.
If a game is PS5 compatible it has to stay that way, even if the game was originally submitted before July 13th

Yeah, so if something is already PS5-compatible before July 13th, it mandates that any future patch must maintain that compatibility. They can't break something/deliberately remove it later.

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
All of the Xbox One games will run on the Xbox Series X they're not on a case by case basis like with 360/OG, the only exception I can see to this would be Kinect based games since I don't think Microsoft will provide support for it, the only ones that are limited are the Xbox 360 and original Xbox games since they are emulated. At least as far as we know Sony isn't tackling previous generations (PS1/PS2/PS3), but I hope that changes somehow.

This is only for OG Xbox and Xbox 360. This won't be the case for Xbox One games, Xbox One games will be available on the Xbox Series X at launch, like I mentioned above. The only exception I could see would be Kinect based games since I don't think they've mentioned anything about it. The case by case for Xbox One games would be only for enhancements.

----------------

Back on topic: Sure the messaging has been a bit messy on Sony's part, but the console hasn't been fully revealed. I'm sure they'll come out and talk about this when they talk about the enhancement their doing to some of the titles. I'm not worried about it.

this tweet makes it pretty sure that not all games will work and that they too are also testing games

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
They said they expect the vast majority of games to work. It is no guarantee.

Plus they've not said what the state of BC will be at console launch.

I'm pretty sure that's to cover their tracks to avoid making promises that they may can't keep but I'm pretty sure most PS4 games will work just fine on PS5

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What if PT is broken on PS5
200.gif

Pat002

Banned
Dec 4, 2019
I'm starting to think Sony was not prepared for how important BC would be...
Because it's not important lmao.

An insignificant fraction of the user base will use backwards compatibility because it always been like that and history only repeat itself.

The only thing that makes backwards compatibility important is for the first year of Ps5 when people will shift to it from PS4, once we're into this generation more people won't care about it.

Xbox One had it and no one gave a shit about it except us forum niche, it's gonna be the same for next generation.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
"Overwhelming majority" of PS4 titles is playable on ps5

means there are cases where some games don't.

lets say it's 98%. All Sony is saying is don't be part of that 2% because your games are far more likely to be played on ps5. we'll show you how to test.

ms doesn't guarantee backwards compatibility on all software either and probably has similar guidance

Mountain out of a mole hill

Miggy

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 days): Antagonising another member
Shout out to the jon bones for setting a negative tone in the thread and bailing out as fast as he can.

First class bum.

Last edited:

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
I just wish they would cut it with the shitty messaging and announce a 4k60 PS5 update for bloodborne

The only 3 PS5 launch games should be Elden Ring, Bluepoint Demons Souls remaster, and 4k60 Bloodborne

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Calm down. The PS5 event is literally next week.
I'm pretty sure that's to cover their tracks to avoid making promises that they may can't keep but I'm pretty sure most PS4 games will work just fine on PS5
Until we have clarification regarding which games will work on launch, it's on Sony to get the messaging right.

Coming into threads where people want clarification and crying about "concern trolling" is not the way to go.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
LOL, so THIS is the thread they were talking about in Discord... I love you guys; too much love not enough time.

I genuinely don't understand much of the concern around PS5 BC, their lead designer explained in detail the process of BC and how having it tied to the chip...

No idea man, arrogant Sony is back and they are purposefully being shady & obtuse af to their fanbase.

Although, I'm finding these hourly PS5 concern threads highly entertaining, I can't wait until Sony makes a defiant and cocky fully scripted and detailed console reveal for everyone to further break down & interprete that reveal langage to try to find legal loopholes their own legal department missed then maybe come up with their own interpretation of what the legal interpretation Sony is hiding behind because cleary they announced BC is a shame and they really don't care and are just using BC as a buzz word.

Seriously though, the next couple Sony/MS conferences can't come soon enough.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
We don't have the data, only indications - of the snapshot of the top 100 games tested, Cerny said 'almost all' worked.

No he didn't say that; he said they expect almost all to be working by launch. It's the only statement Sony has said about BC working by launch. He didn't say what percentage of them just worked out of the top 100. It indicates that it will take 10-11 months of work to get most of the top 100 working... what that entails we have no clue.

They then said in their blog post that they expect the 'overwhelming majority' of all games to work, that they had tested hundreds, and will be testing thousands on the way to launch. You have to presume the expectation re. the 'overwhelming majority' is based on testing done to date.

Right, and none of that has any timespan put on it.

It doesn't. Some may require patches, not all.

Yeah sorry that's what I meant... (as I indicated in that post that some games might just work)

But we literally have no clue to what extent patching entails.. we have a mix of statements. ONE that sounds confident (we expect the majority of the 4k games to be BC).. others that aren't that confident..

And almost none of these statements talk about things being ready by launch, the only one we have is the "out of the top 100 games."

Bradwaung

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even Microsoft hasn't said that 100% of games will work, nor have they said which games will work. Both companies are legally covering their asses

Tell me about it.
I thought Microsoft said that all the games that work on Xbox One (expect Kinect games) will also work on the Series X, at launch.
Sony on the other hand believes most PS4 games will work eventually on the PS5.

It's not the same. I would love for Sony to give more details about their plans for the PS5; at least if they expect me to buy it. For now I'm really not liking what I'm reading about their future console.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel this thread is like opposite Xbox thread. Usually it's Microsoft completing mixing up/butchering its messaging and having some fans explains to you that it's all clear, you're just pretending to not understand.
Oh no! I understand clearly. But it seems not everybody is getting the message. I blame Sony for this

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Imagine giving corporations the benefit of the doubt and going in on consumers wanting clarification.

Imagine shilling like that.
What's the point of your post ?
Is it so hard to wait until a company fully unveil its product and features before making assumptions based on literally nothing ?

And clarification on what ? They said they are testing games and believe 4000+ PS4 games will be compatible on PS5 and they will tell more in upcoming months

You had no problem believing Microsofts promises. Does that mean you are a microsoft shill?
Ah lol that explains it

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
User warned: Console warring
Sony efforts are not the same league as MS in regards to BC.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
I thought Microsoft said that all the games that work on Xbox One (expect Kinect games) will also work on the Series X, at launch.

It's not the same. I would love for Sony to give more details about their plans for the PS5; at least if they expect me to buy it. For now I'm really not liking what I'm reading about their future console.

No. Currently what works are games that already work on Xbox One X/S. ANd that is limited to 380+xb360 games. And only a handful of OG XBOX games.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.

Nope. They've stated that most games will work, not all:

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
lolololol he said patches two times.
Now check the context of the quotes and replies. My original patch comment is for a BC patch. My reply to your comment saying it has nothing to do with patches is because you were talking about regular patches, not BC-specific ones.
Microsoft has the source code to every game on their platform and is manually fixing any issues?
They're not fixing issues inside the code directly for the most part, as their BC solution doesn't require that, but yes, they have the source code.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
You had no problem believing Microsofts promises. Does that mean you are a microsoft shill?
The difference is Microsoft has been clear on what they'll be delivering with BC going forward.

Thus I'm excited to replay my favourite games at higher fidelity.

I'm also not bemoaning posters when they want clarification regarding aspects of the xbox launch like posters are doing in this thread.

You're sweet for checking my post history though :)

Scousefury

Oct 28, 2017
Before the 13th of July Sony checks a Ps4 game on PS5 finds it does not work they inform the publisher and it up to them if they want to work with Sony to fix the issue.

Post July 13th Sony tests every single Ps4 title to be released from that point if it does not work on PS5 it fails cert and must be fixed before being released even on PS4.

Nothing here gives us any indication that PS5 bc is limited or bad in anyway or how many titles just work on PS5.

Also this exact requirement happened with the release of PS4 pro and no one batted an eyelid.

People need to relax.

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017
We also need clarification from Sony if the PS5 will be able to play PS5 games at launch.

They said we'd be able to play PS5 games but they didn't say all.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Until we have clarification regarding which games will work on launch, it's on Sony to get the messaging right.

Coming into threads where people want clarification and crying about "concern trolling" is not the way to go.

They literally spelled it out for you months ago and the article isn't confusing lol

Yes some people are being overly concerned about this entire situation but I don't believe there's anything to worry about at all. Seems like pretty standard stuff

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017

They did at first and then walked it back in the tweet that Transistor posted.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Why hasn't Nintendo gotten the messaging on Switch 2 right?

Because they're not ready to announce it yet. And they don't have to announce it until they're ready.

You don't get to know everything the split second you want to know it.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Jeez it's not even a storm in a teapot but in a thimble.

And just for info, there is no backward compatibility on Xbox One but a selected emulation. The Xbox/360 emulator isn't open to use for the end user and only 600 games over the 2000 published on the 360 are currently working on One.

So for sure this time the jump between two similar architectures will facilitate a lot of things and we will probably end with 98% of the entire back catalog compatible, but that doesn't remove the need of certification.

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everyone is still stuck in the old way of doing BC. Unless i missed something MS and Sony are literally doing the same thing. With the exception isn't going as far back as MS is for whatever reason. (Assuming costs and time put would probably be too much).

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
What's the point of your post ?
Is it so hard to wait until a company fully unveil its product and features before making assumptions based on literally nothing ?

And clarification on what ? They said they are testing games and believe 4000+ PS4 games will be compatible on PS5 and they will tell more in upcoming months

Ah lol that explains it
I'm not making assumptions. I'm asking for clearer communication regarding the product. Yet posters are feeling the need to defend the company not clarifying what others feel are important aspects.

Joo

May 25, 2018
I just don't understand the negativity and jumping into conclusions in this thread. This is great news.

Shout-out to jon bones as OP for setting this nice tone for the thread.