• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure this is about game-specific uprezzes \ framerate upgrades \ texture upgrades \ etc.

Trust me, most games definitely have room for low hanging fruits upgrades - graphic features that have been cut for framerate, etc that can be swapped back on on more powerful platforms.

This is what's happening.

I think this just about games working on PS5 from the get go. Devs can make improvments if they want but it will not be mandatory.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone who knows more on this topic clarify this? I am ignorant on this, but to me it seems like Sony mandating that their developers do all the work to make PS4 games compatible on PS5 basically means that unless PS4 games were specifically built to run on PS5, a lot of them won't work at all. That's basically the implication here, which is worrying...

Before: "We have already tested hundreds of titles and are preparing to test thousands more as we move toward launch."

Now: It's part of the certification process for new releases.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I am not concerned about the big publishers since they would have already make sure that their games are forward compatible but it doesn't sound like a good thing for smaller publishers at all. Their games coming in Q3/Q4 are probably going to need to be delayed in order to follow this rule.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
No games after July 2020 will have ps5 patch to take full advantage of ps5. The older titles will be played by BC native mode or by BC boost mode . They wont have ps5 patch
Do they show the documentation they keep referencing?
I'm already awaiting an update and corrections from Eurogamer when things get cleared up.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah I got the feeling this is talking about an enhanced PS5 mode while none patched games would run on PS5 as is.
Exactly as it was with ps4 pro. They suggested all the game releasing after October 2016 to have pro patch. Same is happening to ps5 just date is earlier which is July 2020 .

True_fan

Banned
Mar 19, 2020
User Banned (1 day): Trolling
Sony has lost it's way as a hardware company, maybe its time for cerny to retire or get some help. This just seems like a not so great way to do things.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
That will help early adopters through COVID-19 delays. Will PS4 games show up on PS5's digital store? I hope so.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Why is the onus on devs?
Shouldn't that be handled by Sony?

Right now: Sony is testing BC internally themselves. There is no certification requirement for PS4 games to work on PS5, most likely because most developers right now do not have the ability to test their games on the PS5 as dev kits are not widely available.

Later: Sony is expecting any developer shipping a PS4 game to test PS5-compatibility themselves as it is part of the certification requirement to even ship a PS4 game. This will presumably be mandatory once PS5-related dev kit/environment/documentation is made widely available to developers.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So we get confirmation the majority of PS4 games are backwards compatible. Then this which means any game going forward on PS4 will definitely be compatible with PS5 too. Yet it's bad news.

Only on this site.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I very much doubt publishers wouldn't want to support this in most cases. It is basically barely any work to keep older games selling.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I'm hoping this is some sort of parallel effort - as in "make sure there's a pro mode on PS5" while Sony's BC efforts are also taking place for older titles.

I imagine this is the case, I can't see Sony dropping the ball on this/

Joo

May 25, 2018
This sounds like a nightmare for smaller/indie developers
The policy was exactly the same with mid-gen consoles and MS definitely has a same kind of policy in place. Sony has already said that majority of PS4 games will run on PS5 at launch, so this official requirement makes absolutely no difference in the bigger picture, as it's just standard practice.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
By any logical reading of this, you would think that this in relation to PS4 games working with the unlocked PS5 hardware/PS5 boost mode (even if there are no enhancements) but if previous threads on this topic have taught me anything we should be bracing ourselves for an incoming wave of stupidity.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They don't need to clarify. Games before that date aren't mandated to run at native PS5 specs, so the developer of said games don't have to release patches or updates for those older titles if they don't want to. Those games will just run at PS4/PS4 Pro clock speeds. That's all it is.
Yep. The PS5 has built in PS4/Pro modes, so nearly every PS4 game will at least run in those modes, the game code will see the PS5 as a PS4 unless otherwise patched.

Its exactly the same situation as the PS4 Pro.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
I get the feeling If this news would have come from a different company every one would have applauded.

"It is great to know that all new games will work also on the new system"

But here....

"I told you, only the newest games will work on the new system"

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
The compatibility test was added to the PS4 devkit software, no need for a PS5 devkit

Believe me one thing, if you as a dev want at least SOME assurance that your software runs on a specific, closed system, you want to have the software run at least one QA cycle on near-final hardware. ^^

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I swear Era is obsessed with backwards compatibility yet almost no one I know in the real world cares at all, they all buy new consoles for new games.

If the new consoles didn't have backwards compatibility, I wouldn't buy either of them on day one. I remember the PS4 launch. Within a month I was back on my PS3 because the PS4 didn't have diddly poo for games.

Oct 26, 2017
This is a policy change. They can now legally obligate publishers to make em compatible.

Doesn't mean anything for compatibility in general.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
TL;DR:

Until July 17th, Sony will ensure that the games will work on PS5, after that, the developer themselves need to ensure that. Just like with PS4 Pro. This doesn't mean "Pro Patch", it means it works on PS5.

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why is the onus on devs?
Shouldn't that be handled by Sony?

Or is this just confirming Sony is offering their own cross-gen, "smart delivery" option?
The onus has been on devs for months. Shared this in another thread earlier but the implication is that all devs need to make adjustments, and many likely won't for older games.

On SCE, PS5 BC and the use of language to avoid overpromising. A blog on their website uses intentional words to give them room to back away from any hard deadlines or assumed promises. It's smart, and let's them keep from saying "Day 1, all this is ready" while saying it'll happen eventually. We'll know more soon.

no3YW4U.png

Quellyford

May 16, 2020
Yeah I remember that, which is kind of why I'm confused. Why announce that they need developers to specifically develop for PS5 if they were already testing hundreds of games on the manufacturer's side? Maybe to shift the load of work from them onto the developers so they can focus on other things?

Deleted member 26746

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They already told that PS5 will have ps4 1:1 (with a few games that may need be patched)

They are suggesting devs to make sure now that they work on PS5 without the need of a patch.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Can someone who knows more on this topic clarify this? I am ignorant on this, but to me it seems like Sony mandating that their developers do all the work to make PS4 games compatible on PS5 basically means that unless PS4 games were specifically built to run on PS5, a lot of them won't work at all. That's basically the implication here, which is worrying...
Nah.
PS5 has legacy modes that allow it to run PS4 and pro games at their original,native settings. This is about new games supporting ps5's native hardware rather than running in those legacy modes.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
That can just mean the devs will have to put their PS4 game in their PS5/PS5 devkits and run it, and ensure that it can run correctly, going forward, that's all.

Which couldn't happen on the older titles, you know, because the PS5 doesn't exist back then.

Doesn't mean a lot of the previous titles won't run.

These concern trolling..

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I get the feeling If this news would have come from a different company every one would have applauded.

"It is great to know that all new games will work also on the new system"

But here....

"I told you, only the newest games will work on the new system"
Nobody is saying those two sentences though?
Whether it's in the article or in the thread...

But it's worth noting that while approved software has the technical capability to work across generations, Sony is yet to go into detail on how it will handle this in reality.
PlayStation is also working to ensure PS4 games run on PS5, though it previously said it would pass "issues which need adjustment" to developers to handle.