• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ZeroHunter

Aug 6, 2020
Never assume compatibility between different modular PSU cables. Bad bad bad idea! You could fry your components doing that.

Yup. Happened to me with a hard drive. Decided to be lazy and use a SATA power cable from an older PSU, took me a little while to figure out what happened when it wasn't being recognized on boot.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Wait so power supply cables, even though they fit the same connector, don't actually have any standards on which pin powers each individual cable?

That seems incredibly dumb on part of the industry to not have that standardized.
I mean, it does say in the manual

If this power supply uses modular cables, use only manufacturer supplied cables. Other cables might not be compatible and could cause serious damage to your system and power supply

but you're right it's really dumb. I mean people somehow are able to get their CPU 8-pin connectors mixed up with their 8-pin GPU cables (and you'd have to jam those in there) so for cables that actually fit correctly to cause problems is a pretty shit situation.

hey! UCF! Ugh, parking nightmare flashbacks...

Really hoping OP's computer is still okay/salvageable.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Oh fuck, OP. :(

I remember a twitter thread from a Bungie dev who did this. His fellow employees were half clowning on him and half expressing like oh no you did what.

TBF that's when I learned too.

I feel like anyone could make this mistake though. Like, when does it ever come up until someone else makes the mistake? And like you'd think the whole point of modular is everything can just switch out so why would it even seem like a bad idea?

I mean, everything else in PCs are very specifically built so that you CAN'T put things in wrong. This shit should be under warranty. There's no way someone would know this or even think to inquire about it.

I mean, it does say in the manual

but you're right it's really dumb. I mean people somehow are able to get their CPU 8-pin connectors mixed up with their 8-pin GPU cables (and you'd have to jam those in there) so for cables that actually fit correctly to cause problems is a pretty shit situation.

hey! UCF! Ugh, parking nightmare flashbacks...

Really hoping OP's computer is still okay/salvageable.

See the problem with this though is that so much of this kind of thing is nonsense and useless. It's always so clearly covering-their-ass bullshit that it's meaningless to the consumer.

Hey please only use this stuff with this stuff is "we don't want to be liable for lawsuits" and gets used on all kinds of things it doesn't matter on.

Like, I had a power cable to a midi keyboard break. It said under no circumstances use another power adapter. Well I looked at the voltage and everything, found another like it, because it was a really common one, and got it, and wow wouldn't you know it worked just fine because there's no reason it wouldn't.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean not even something like USB-C is standardized even to this day. I hope you didn't fry it.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
I had an issue maybe similar. The PC would power on for a couple seconds without display, then shut off. No idea what it was, but eventually I found out it was the motherboard doing some shit, and the fix was to simply remove the battery for a bit, putting it back in, haven't had the issue since.

Gankzymcfly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Im so happy i descovered this thread, this is exactly the type of mistake id make and i only imagine myself upgrading my gpu and psu over the next 5 years...so this being me was inevitable until this descovery.

Spicy Noodles

May 29, 2018
OP right now
IMG-20190221-082756.jpg

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Why wouldn't you just use the new cables???

Time savings assuming the industry made sense and was standardized.

You spend a nice amount of time tieing off cables for super clean cable management. When you need to replace the psu it would save so much time to just unplug the old one and replug it. Would turn a 30 minute job into a 2 minute job.

Apr 3, 2020
I built my first PC a year ago, watched a lot of tutorial videos, read many r/buildapc's posts, and never came across this information.

I find it weird this isn't widely known or mentioned as general tips/advices. Easy to fall in this mistake since it's very tempting because it is convenient to change the psu only, or trying to save some cables.

Gankzymcfly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I built my first PC a year ago, watched a lot of tutorial videos, read many r/buildapc's posts, and never came across this information.

I find it weird this isn't widely known or mentioned as general tips/advices. Easy to fall in this mistake since it's very tempting because it is convenient to change the psu only, or trying to save some cables.
Pretty much this. Partly why i picked up a modular power supply, make life easier in the event it needed to be replaced. TBF ive only ever considered buying the same make psu i have right now with a higher watt output but even that seems sketchy after learning all this.

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much this. Partly why i picked up a modular power supply, make life easier in the event it needed to be replaced. TBF ive only ever considered buying the same make psu i have right now with a higher watt output but even that seems sketchy after learning all this.

Yeah you don't want to reuse cables from a different model PSU even if they are branded by the same company. Several PSU sellers (For example Corsair) don't actually make power supplies themselves, they just rebrand products made by OEM's.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah you don't want to reuse cables from a different model PSU even if they are branded by the same company. Several PSU sellers (For example Corsair) don't actually make power supplies themselves, they just rebrand products made by OEM's.

Yup. I had to RMA a Corsair PSU 2 weeks ago and they told me to send back all the cables that came with the PSU (minus external power cable), presumably because they don't want anyone using old cables on the replacement PSU and having to do another RMA.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
im going to assume its dead as the OP has not responded.

Still don't know how we don't have standards for modular supplies. Would make life super easy

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry to hear you probably killed your PC. I almost was about to do the same thing with my new PSU but I thankfully google'd it before I installed it.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I mean this is an industry where the front panel header pinout on motherboards has never been standardized either, so this isn't surprising. Both of my computers have modular PSUs and I had to make sure they unused cables were in clearly marked bags in case I added hardware that required pulling out a new cable.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Look on the bright side. Let this serve as a teaching lesson for the OP. It'd be a rather expensive one if they fried their PC, but a teaching lesson nonetheless.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
OP never made it out, but yea just for anyone whose thinking about building a pc in the future never ever mix power supply cables. Bad for both the power supply and the system.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Ya still alive OP? Didn't start a fire did you?

I've run into issues with different modular PSU pinouts before but luckily the pin shapes were different so I couldn't even get it plugged in.

Last edited:

Fox318

Oct 25, 2017
I had a similar issue building my pc. But I had bought cablemod cables that turned out to be dead.

Flash

Oct 27, 2017
Power supply cables are NOT standardized. That means the pin arrangement from EVGA, Corsair, etc aren't exactly the same. You need to use the cables that came with your power supply. Not doing so can and will cause irreparable damage to your components in your system.