• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In New Pokemon Snap, there are pictures in the background of the laboratory that were taken by the assistant, Rita, and in a loading screen tip are specifically said to not be from the Lentil region the game takes place in. I think the implication is it's Rita's home region. As far as I know her name in the original and dub is simply a pun on "retouch" and not a name that might point to a specific nationality she may be based upon.

Furthermore, as far as I can tell the photos aren't of any area from the previous Pokemon Snap, one of the other regions, or the anime, and feel and look like possible concept art.

It's unclear by the wording if all the pictures are of one region, but a couple stand out...I don't have a good way to upload pictures so if anyone can upload them I'll add them here...

Off the top of my head here's what I noted...

1. A pretty generic looking meadow. Doesn't look especially notable and the most generic.
2. A huge acacia tree (?) in the middle of a plain.
3. What appears to be a big storm cloud hovering over a forest?
4. What looks like a rock formation or a desert, hard to tell.
5. A tall, red Euopean style building almost castle like. There's a little town square in front of it.
6. A very interesting looking building sitting atop water, it's crystal blue and looks like a stadium of sorts. There's an "N" on the front of it I think?

There's some more to the side of the background that I can't really make out but those are what pop out immediately. The red castle and the blue stadium are pretty unique looking especially.

The first thing that hits me is Australia due to the acacia tree, what looks like it might be something like ayers rock, and the stadium perhaps being representative of the Sydney Opera House.

Thoughts?

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
Serebii any thoughts on this? Definetely wouldn't be the first time we've gotten a future region teaser on a game, although it might be the first time we get one on a spin-off.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Pokemon Australia, where the Komala regional variant never sleep and drop from trees and rip off your face.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
So you're saying that Professor Acacia will be the new region's professor, and you're goal is to go ham at the harsh environments that the region is known for?

Now, if they port over the features from Pokemon Legends: Arceus, that'd be even awesome to imagine about.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Australia starters:

Platypus for water
Koala for grass
snake (idk what kind australia has lots) for fire

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Australia starters:

Platypus for water
Koala for grass
snake (idk what kind australia has lots) for fire
I hoped. But realistically, I don't think they're going to use designs inspired from fan arts, but rather they're going to draw designs based around natural wildlife in Australia.

Assuming Australia is the basis for the next mainline region.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I hoped. But realistically, I don't think they're going to use designs inspired from fan arts, but rather they're going to draw designs based around natural wildlife in Australia.

Assuming Australia is the basis for the next mainline region.

It was a missed opportunity not to have a Highland Ox as the Sword/Shield fire starter

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Wasn't there a globe in Galar that basically had what it looked like being Australia on there.

xhuz8b0m33s61.jpg

It was a missed opportunity not to have a Highland Ox as the Sword/Shield fire starter
100% agree. If it is Australia then i bet money we are getting a Fire/Poison Snake next

Last edited:

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
There it is. Would have been weird to tease the next game this early when it's probably 2023. Assuming that Arceus fills the 2022 slot despite being early in the year.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I mean teeechnically the next region could be wherever Secrets of the Jungle is set (not-quite-Brazil?), who knows.

Honestly it's just kind of curious if they went with that concept art because it was readily available or if it was deliberate.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Even if it's not a hint, Australia feels like a no brainer for the first gen that is likely to be full wild area
Yep. If they wanted do they can have the entire middle of the reigon be the wild area and at the edges of the reigon you have the main cities. Of course the wild area would have smaller hub areas but for the most part i can definetly see them going for a Legends Approach for Gen 9

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Yeah it's probalby nothing but it's kinda werid they are nodding to the movies in the video games - they normally don't do that.

It is possible that Pokemon Coco could inspire the next reigon (it's unlikely but not impossible). If Coco is set in not Brazil then a region inspired by Brazil does make sense in a way - mostly because of the huge Japanese population in Brazil

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Serebii any thoughts on this? Definetely wouldn't be the first time we've gotten a future region teaser on a game, although it might be the first time we get one on a spin-off.
As has been said, it's just the movie.

Now while people may say that's a weird tie-in, don't forget Pokémon Snap's original game was tied to the anime including anime Professor Oak and used his voice actors

I haven't seen it yet, but apparently Rita cameos in the movie too

Last edited:

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
So the DVD/Blu-Ray are out now in Japan and we have images of the cameo of Rita, but also Phil in the movie

Thus further confirming the connection

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Does Pokemon Company usually do stuff like this? I mean, it's a Bamco-made game. They also blew their wad on Australian creatures multiple times over- granted, there are so many more they could do and I would love it, but I absolutely doubt it.

**edit - ah, and further closing the door it was just a reference to one of the Pokemon movies. :(