• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I agree we should have got a new Pokémon or two here or last week with Ponyta. 100%.

However, people are acting like this is all the game has. All it is is marketing not to those who are getting the game anyway (i.e. the core fanbase) but as enticement for the wider audience who love those 4 Pokémon.
Why should we believe the game is anything but what the marketing is trying to convince us it is? Especially in relations to issues they already have a terrible track record with? What has gamefreak done to earn the benefit of the doubt?

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017
As someone who has felt this generation has been the least hyped I've ever been. This video only further deflates my hype. I dont really care that much about gigantimax and this video only added to it as I'm over the catering to gen 1. I want to see new pokemon and more galarian formes. They could show off new towns, gym leaders, even evos/pre-evos of existing pokemon. Something else that's at least interesting.

Even though I liked Mega Evolutions, I think they should have focused on adding small, interesting mechanics to the battle system (like trick room or terrains) after gen 5 instead of adding these big (and often unbalanced) gimmicks.

I kind of wish that they had fleshed out the contests more in the games, since they also used to be a huge part of the anime. Would have been the perfect place for over the top Dynamax transformations.
Yep, super contests were not a good replacement and the pokestudio stuff was lame. They could've used the amie/camping mechanic to tie it in with contests as well. I miss the R/S/E contests and wish they werent a one off gimmick.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
Even without the leak people would be upset that the big hyped reveal was new Gigantamax forms for Kanto Pokemon. People were optimistic even with the leak we would actually see new Pokemon.

I know you have to play defense but what is the level of "acceptable" criticism? When can people be upset about reveals and content in Sword/Shield without being told they're ridiculous or entitled or whatever?

big hyped reveal?

we found out about this yesterday.

if you expected the reveal to be some huge thing when the majority of them have been small in focus I don't really know what to say. This is getting to be like how people expect every Nintendo Direct to be earth shattering.

Charlie0108

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah I agree we should have got a new Pokémon or two here or last week with Ponyta. 100%.

However, people are acting like this is all the game has.
Joe, you must be able to see though why people are getting ansty though. Whether they're holding stuff back or not we've just had two back to back small generations when it comes to Pokemon numbers and we're now a month away from release and have only seen 20 brand new Pokemon. It's understandable that people, who are already annoyed about the lack of the National Dex, are starting to get a bit concerned about how many Pokemon might actually be in this game based off what they've shown so far.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Oh dang that's right, and the description is different from Gigantamax Meowth. Please tell me that's not actually happening, why are we getting another variant of the Meowth line? Couldn't they pick Skitty ?
Based on the leak's wording, it sounds like Meowth just gets a Galarian evolution, not a Galarian form.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
big hyped reveal?

they've been doing a trailer a month for a while, so while we only officially found out about it yesterday, everyone has been expecting it for a while. This is easily the worst of the trailers they've done, and it's potentially the last one we're getting with launch just a month away

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I don't even care that it's Gen 1 Pokémon again. My problem is that they haven't shown anything else than Gigantamax forms. I want new Pokémon, I want Galarian forms, I want towns, I want something from the overworld. Give me something that isn't Gigantamax as I don't care about it like at all.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
big hyped reveal?

if you expected the reveal to be some huge thing when the majority of them have been small in focus I don't really know what to say. This is getting to be like how people expect every Nintendo Direct to be earth shattering.

I expected at least one new Pokemon but apparently that's too much to ask for.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
they've been doing a trailer a month for a while, so while we only officially found out about it yesterday, everyone has been expecting it for a while. This is easily the worst of the trailers they've done, and it's potentially the last one we're getting with launch just a month away

it's similar in scale to how reveals have gone since the last Direct. Like, say what you will about content but come on. The ones that preceded this were about Sirfetch'd and Ponyta.

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
here is my take on this.

I think each of these forms are pretty neat. Chunkachu and Long Boi Meowth is hilarious. Charizard is cool (the other two better get some love too tho....pls). That being said, what a huge miss in terms of reveal. Ignoring the leaks being a thing, the reality is that the community is in a tizzy right now, so showing these forms as the only new info is just not smart. The national dex shit (which does not effect me at all) was a big bomb on this release cycle. IMO it always was going to happen eventually but it needed to come with large improvements (be it a new graphical engine, change of how the game worked, actual new dynamic animations) to justify it...and because as of right now, nothing they shown has done so..these small reveals only have served to bring back the same anger over and over again. Its fucking exhausting to always wade through the same angry posters every single Pokemon thread BUT the reality is that GameFreak dropped the ball by doing what they always do and overcorrect from the complaining about too much info. The bottom line is that with the "culling" they have to bring heat every single reveal...which IMO up until recently I think they have done a solid job but just new forms, and gen one only ones at that...aint it chief.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Why should we believe the game is anything but what the marketing is trying to convince us it is? Especially in relations to issues they already have a terrible track record with? What has gamefreak done to earn the benefit of the doubt?
They kicked off the reveals of Galar Forms and Gigantamax forms by showing forms that aren't from Gen 1. That should be a positive hint

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I would like Gigantamax more if they took all the existing Mega forms and Dynamaxed them.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Honestly happy we haven't gotten starter evos yet and I'm hoping we don't at all. There's no good reason to be concerned that the monster count will be lower than the last two gens just because they're taking a slightly different approach with the marketing

Not sure why folks are always paranoid when it comes to nintendo trailers. I promise you that zelda will have towns, mario will have more than four kingdoms, and these games will have more than 15 monsters

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
You're always in these threads tone policing people lol. They just made a joke about Zigzagoon. Relax. It's not that deep.
We can do without corporate shilling and without pretending GameFreak can't do anything wrong ever, but here we are.
Not being completely insane isn't corporate shilling or tone policing. You should also try to bring in better arguments if you don't want people to call you out on it.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly happy we haven't gotten starter evos yet and I'm hoping we don't at all. There's no good reason to be concerned that the monster count will be lower than the last two gens just because they're taking a slightly different approach with the marketing

Not sure why folks are always paranoid when it comes to nintendo trailers. I promise you that zelda will have towns, mario will have more than four kingdoms, and these games will have more than 15 monsters
real talk Pokéfans who can't commit to a starter without knowing its evo are the weakest form of cowards

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
I don't get why they keep focusing on Eevee when it's whole thing is that it evolves out into numerous things. Like it's whole reason for existence was the divergent evolutions, and they're ignoring that for just plain unevolved Eevee?

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
The lack of new Pokemon they're showing is concerning. Sure, don't show off everything pre-launch but this is a real drip feed. To me what makes it worse is that they've already said that we can't catch all of the Pokemon in this...so there's that + a seeming lack of new Pokemon, with an emphasis on yet another gimmick? Yeah, just concerning. Not going to act as if the sky is falling but I certainly raises an eyebrow.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if this was a Nintendo trailer, there wouldn't be this much vitrol. but alas, Nintendo doesn't do marketing for pokemon

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They kicked off the reveals of Galar Forms and Gigantamax forms by showing forms that aren't from Gen 1. That should be a positive hint
I mean it was until literally everything we saw after that one line was all from gen 1. At this point that bit feels more like it was meant to trick fans hoping for good representation for other gens by saying "Look we're going to give love to other gens" while they still plan to give 90% of the love to gen 1. Like it's technically a step forward from SM alolan forms, but only just barely

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
So everyone criticizing this game and explaining their reasoning is "completely insane" huh?
Saying people at GF mistook Zigzagoon for a gen 1 Pokémon isn't criticism and it's not an explanation of anything
Telling someone who made a joke "we can do without posts like this" is not tone policing?
Hard to tell if people are joking. There was another poster saying the same thing pages back and they certainly weren't joking as they doubled down on it.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
So everyone criticizing this game and explaining their reasoning is "completely insane" huh?
What rubs me the wrong way is that this is the same people that last year were dunking on us saying "this is game is not for you, shut the fuck up and wait for the one releasing next year that is going to be for you" and we are in next year and we're back to exactly the same arguments because Game Freak in the end didn't seem to give a fuck at all. And we're being told again to shut the fuck up and don't complain because this game is not for us. Or something.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reading the previous pages I see some takes I heavily disagree. Like

"Gen 1 is the most popular it's obvious it'll get stuff"
"It's for kids"

Yeah, it is. But the other gens sold each 15M or more! That's absolutely huge for videogames. And I'm not even considering the multimedia stuff like one of the most popular cartoons in the world that has these new gens as its focus. My cousin grew up with XY and loves Talonflame and didn't care a bit about Onix or Geodude. This is nostalgia bait for people that are already adults.

"Random gen 1 Pokémon are more popular than popular other gen mon"

Not really? Maybe more older people recognize random gen 1 pokémon, but I doubt they're gonna buy a game because a random gen 1 Pokémon got a new form. I have a hard time thinking a starter for 30M sellers GSC like Typhlosion is less popular than Butterfree or Mr. Mime.

"It happens in other franchises like Gundam and Digimon"

Maybe a big reason Digimon didn't keep its popularity is for focusing way too much on the same old Digimon? I like the franchise but genwunnering in it holds it back imo. Digimon Tri is awful and the series doesn't renew its fanbase with kids like Pokémon does with new generations. This is a fact.

Also a lot of genwunnering in other franchises is criticized. Many Gundam fans are sick of Universal Century stuff, a big part of Tri's hate is for how stupid it is towards 02 because of Adv nostalgia, many Yugioh fans get mad at genwunnering constantly by people complaining about simple stuff like Synchro to this day, etc. (also, besides Digimon, I would say Gundam and Yugioh are much better than Pokémon in honoring their other generations)

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Saying people at GF mistook Zigzagoon for a gen 1 Pokémon isn't criticism and it's not an explanation of anything

Hard to tell if people are joking. There was another poster saying the same thing pages back and they certainly weren't joking as they doubled down on it.
I mean that one seems like a joke

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if all this Kanto fellatio actually does anything for sales. Like Gen 1 was over 20 years ago now, I get that some old fans might have come back from LGPE but this pandering was even prevalent in gen 7 with the alolan forms. It's like they straight up dont like Gen 2, 4 and 5 pokemon out here.

Either way It's about what I expected. I hope the kids like it. I might buy a Gen 4 remake but I dont think I plan to get another mainline pokemon game until they actually do something interesting with it. Because Dynamax/gigantimax is just the same stuff we've had before just looking/playing a little different.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if all this Kanto fellatio actually does anything for sales. Like Gen 1 was over 20 years ago now, I get that some old fans might have come back from LGPE but this pandering was even prevalent in gen 7 with the alolan forms. It's like they straight up dont like Gen 2, 4 and 5 pokemon out here.

Either way It's about what I expected. I hope the kids like it. I might buy a Gen 4 remake but I dont think I plan to get another mainline pokemon game until they actually do something interesting with it. Because Dynamax/gigantimax is just the same stuff we've had before just looking/playing a little different.
I really don't think we've seen evidence that it does, the games that started doing it never really sold much better than the games that didn't, but gamefreak's got to keep chasing that unicorn

Hell, Let's go hasn't even sold as much as ORAS and I highly doubt it'll ever get there

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

You're right. That's what we call "humor".

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Let's GO didn't do any better or worse. going by that, the majority of folks who played that probably wasn't around when Gen 1 was a thing.

I think most people don't care as much as Game Freak thinks

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Let's GO didn't do any better or worse. going by that, the majority of folks who played that probably wasn't around when Gen 1 was a thing.

I think most people don't care as much as Game Freak thinks
Let's Go is currently sitting at over 3 million less than the previous remakes, so if anything it's probably hurting the sales (though it's hard to compare because Let's go had a bunch of issues that turned off fans besides the gen 1 pandering)

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Reading the previous pages I see some takes I heavily disagree. Like

"Gen 1 is the most popular it's obvious it'll get stuff"
"It's for kids"

Yeah, it is. But the other gens sold each 15M or more! That's absolutely huge for videogames. And I'm not even considering the multimedia stuff like one of the most popular cartoons in the world that has these new gens as its focus. My cousin grew up with XY and loves Talonflame and didn't care a bit about Onix or Geodude. This is nostalgia bait for people that are already adults.

"Random gen 1 Pokémon are more popular than popular other gen mon"

Not really? Maybe more older people recognize random gen 1 pokémon, but I doubt they're gonna buy a game because a random gen 1 Pokémon got a new form. I have a hard time thinking a starter for 30M sellers GSC like Typhlosion is less popular than Butterfree or Mr. Mime.

"It happens in other franchises like Gundam and Digimon"

Maybe a big reason Digimon didn't keep its popularity is for focusing way too much on the same old Digimon? I like the franchise but genwunnering in it holds it back imo. Digimon Tri is awful and the series doesn't renew its fanbase with kids like Pokémon does with new generations. This is a fact.

Also a lot of genwunnering in other franchises is criticized. Many Gundam fans are sick of Universal Century stuff, a big part of Tri's hate is for how stupid it is towards 02 because of Adv nostalgia, many Yugioh fans get mad at genwunnering constantly by people complaining about simple stuff like Synchro to this day, etc. (also, besides Digimon, I would say Gundam and Yugioh are much better than Pokémon in honoring their other generations)

Yugioh had to learn it the hard way tbh

But the "Legendary Duelists" sets they've been doing lately are an amazing example of "Market with Gen 1 but still honor all the gens"

They're great

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
real talk Pokéfans who can't commit to a starter without knowing its evo are the weakest form of cowards

I've liked the final forms of all the starters in gen 6 and 7 but I just have a bad feeling this time around...

I think based on leaks Sobble's final form will be my jam at least.